[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First full contact karate conp, scared of injuries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 18

File: download.jpg (8KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 230x219px
Hey guys, I'm entering my first full contact karate comp in a couple weeks.
I also cross train judo and long story short, bruises and being sore the next day I can deal with no problem, but I don't want to sustain a bad injury, like tearing something or fucking my knee up that would have me put out of training. I've not had any surgery or anything on it or past injuries, am I worrying for nothing?
>>
>>1309397
If you're not used to getting kicked in the leg, you can expect to need a wheel chair the next day.
Your let is going to be FUCKED.
May any supernatural beings beings have mercy on your legs.
If you don't have strong legs, you can expect to have joint and tendon damage.
It's very possible you will have permanent tendon damage.
If you're past yellow belt, you can expect to get kicked in the leg A LOT.
It's very possible you could be in and out of surgery for the rest of your miserable life.

Or you know, you could be just fine.

There's risk with everything; you risk getting hit by a car just by walking down the street.

Stop worrying, it doesn't help you.
>>
>>1309419
Speaking from experience?
>>
File: y5uSPR.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
y5uSPR.gif
2MB, 320x180px
This board has become unbelievably shit since they added wrestling
>>
>>1309459
I'm not going to prove or disprove that I've won 3rd place or higher in full contact state Karate competitions at least a few times, but that doesn't matter.
Statistics speak for themselves.
Some people get their legs fucked, some people get mad bruises on their chests, ribs, and or abdomen, some people get bruised up arms, some people get broken noses, some people get dislocated jaws, some people get tendon damage, some people get joint damage, some people strain muscles,
some people walk away completely fine.
Some people walk away completely fine besides a few minor bruises.
>>
>>1309397
>I also cross train judo
What are the rules? Is it Kyokushin?
If there're rules against grabbing your opponent, you should be worried about grabbing your opponent, and you should train against it right now.
Not to mention grabbing your opponent and kneeing your opponent.
>>
>>1309397
Are there head kicks?
Remember to stretch so you can pull off higher kicks.
If there're no head kicks allowed, stretch regardless.
>>
>>1309397
>>1309459
>>1309419
>>1310620
But most people don't get debilitating injuries.
>>
>>1309419

You're a bit alarmist. He's gon' git rekt, but he's not likely to get his knee completely fucked. He'll get it bruised up and fall down and that'll be the end of the match. Or maybe he'll win, fuck it.

>>1309397
OP, Judo has WAY worse injuries than knockdown karate because of the forces involved. People come out of Judo comps on a backboard all the time. Karate you break ribs, fingers, toes, collarbones, and noses.

Like you I used to be terrified of knee injuries because my friends in high school all had fucked up knees, but every one of them either wrestled, played football, or played basketball, with basketball accounting for most of the injuries.

You'll most likely be fine. The sport is relatively safe, but less safe than staying home playing Xbox.
>>
>>1312595
let me tell you about this one guy during a scrimmage 9 months ago
he was the victim of a savage drop seio... poor sap didn't tuck his head

hasn't been back to the club since
>>
>>1312595
>He's gon' git rekt, but he's not likely to get his knee completely fucked.
Some people leave competitions with nothing but a few minor bruises.
>>
>>1316267
I'm a world Class Kyokushin Karate competitor, and have competed in the All Japan Open Kyokushin Karate Tournament multiple times. The last time I competed, I got close to TKOing my opponent with inside leg kicks, and then got an opening for a roundhouse head kick, which I took, and used to KO my opponent.
Funny thing with my next fight, I got KOd with a roundhouse head kick.
Fucking head kick sucked, but besides that, I only got 1 bruise on my left pectoral, and 1 sore rib, left rib.
>>
>>1318064
>inside leg kicks
>almost TKO
Lol
>>
>>1318064
but do you think you have what it takes to beat goju guy? It's doubtful
>>
>>1309397
Kyokushin is about showing your warrior spirit.
It's about fighting on, even as you face hardship.

So, Kyokushin is about standing there, punching each other in the chest (aim for the solar plexus), throwing some leg kicks, and maybe KOing your opponent with a head kick.
Don't forget you can throw knees, back hands, hammer fists, and turning/spinning techniques.

Basically, Kyokushin is one big tough guy contest, with a tiny ring on top of that so if you're a movement based fighter that likes to stay on the outside, they're setting you up to lose.
>>
>>1318474

If you fall down and can't get back up you've lost. Is that not, technically, a knockout?
>>
>>1318064
I also lied about being a world class Kyokushin Karate practitioner and competing in that tournament.
Those things didn't happen.

We all know Goju Guy is the only real martial arts practitioner around here.

People do leave full contact sparring, fights, and competition without much injury, though.
>>
>>1323903
>We all know Goju Guy is the only real martial arts practitioner around here.

Why is it the game here to encourage that poor loser?

I suspect this is a pretty accurate description of Goju Guy in person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXaOGnDRf1A
>>
>>1324209
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXaOGnDRf1A
>people always say people who differ just a little from the norm are completely crazy
kek
>>
>>1324209
>Why is it the game here to encourage that poor loser?
At least we're not /b/.
>>
>>1324347
>At least we're not /b/.
Sometimes, there's no difference between us and /b/, literally.
>>
File: 2016-05-25 00.58.50.jpg (1MB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-25 00.58.50.jpg
1MB, 1885x1060px
>>1324209
Listen here cholula, even though it's not my normal deal I'm going to be competing at nationals in Pittsburg in July. I picked up a venum sponsorship so I get cash every time I make podium somewhere.
So all of you Niggas will have even more chances to try yourselves against the realist Motherfucker in the business
>>
>>1324653
>nationals in Pittsburg in July

That would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxNFAL5m7Jk

Haha. Hahaha!

I'm sure it's super hardcore and not at all a game of tag under men's "elite" WKF rules, right? Let's see...

http://www.wkf.net/ksport-rules-regulations.php

9. The following protective equipment is compulsory:
9.1. WKF approved mitts, one contestant wearing red and the other wearing blue.
9.2. Gum shield.
9.3. WKF approved body protection (for all athletes) plus chest protector for female athletes.
9.4. The shin pads approved by the WKF, one contestant wearing red and the other wearing blue.
There are two categories of prohibited behaviour, Category 1 and Category 2.
CATEGORY 1
1. Techniques which make excessive contact, having regard to the scoring area attacked, and
techniques which make contact with the throat.
2. Attacks to the arms or legs, groin, joints, or instep.
3. Attacks to the face with open hand techniques.
4. Dangerous or forbidden throwing techniques.

Yeah, this game of tag you're bragging about getting paid to play sounds way more hardcore than kyokushin.
>>
>>1325092
maybe you missed the "it's not my normal deal" part.
Don't worry, just identify yourself as an aspie and I wont hold back on you at all :3
>>
>>1325911
>maybe you missed the "it's not my normal deal" part.
Why don't you do anything closer to your normal deal?
What about Kyokushin? It's basically Goju's daughter.
Are you planning on doing other competitions? What about Kudo where there's groin strikes?
>>
>>1309397
You need really good timing to pull this off, but this really helps you pull through fights and take hits that would normally take out of the fight but leave you able to keep going.

youtube.com/watch?v=8WcnB3uy7NQ
>>
>>1326760
I won a kyokushin tournament in january, which is why I was in talks to get sponsord in the first place.
I invited all you guys but nobody came as far as I know

This point fighting thing should be easy. I figure I will do everything I normally do and instead just throw and inch or two outside of where I normally would so it doesn't decimate peoples faces when I make contact
>>
>>1327239
>I invited all you guys but nobody came as far as I know
I don't remember or I just didn't care enough.

Invite us again, though.
>>
>>1327239
>I won a kyokushin tournament in january
Show us your trophy.
>>
File: 2016-05-26 11.15.20.jpg (1MB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-26 11.15.20.jpg
1MB, 1885x1060px
>>1327419
It was a medal
>>
>>1328072
Time stamp
>>
>>1328139
but the filename is a timestamp
>>
>>1327239
>I won a kyokushin tournament in january
Are there any videos? I don't care if they're of you specifically, but that's fine, too.
>>
>>1309397
How long have you been training?
>>
File: aaa-sanchin-logo.jpg (405KB, 1211x1221px) Image search: [Google]
aaa-sanchin-logo.jpg
405KB, 1211x1221px
Since Goju is our new martial art, I decided to do a little research.

How do you do this without shitting yourself? Your supposed to tense every muscle in your body right? How do you squeeze your abdominals so much while not forcing all the shit out of your intestines? By squeezing your ass cheeks? Then you'd shit yourself when you don't tense your muscles after Sanchin is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSOAtUGS70
>>
>>1330801
you aren't pushing, your bowels should be tightened as well so nothing will ever escape. In fact sanchin is a 100% effective rape defense, Just try to get into my asshole when I have it clenched that tight.

but more importantly, who doesn't poop before class?
>>
>>1309397
>am I worrying for nothing?
Yeah. Quit being a pussy OP
>>
>>1328072

And we're you the only one to show up at thus competition nobody could successfully Google earlier?

Or the only one to show up at the trophy shop?

While we're here, why would people who play freeze tag ask a knockdown fighter to joking their competition? That doesn't sound like a likely thing to happen.
>>
>>1331690
>competition nobody could successfully Google
To be fair, I used Bing, and I forgot where Goju friend said he was located.
>>
File: slugfest rules.jpg (327KB, 1673x682px) Image search: [Google]
slugfest rules.jpg
327KB, 1673x682px
>only 2 minutes
>>
>>1331728

I see two year old results on that page and nothing about an event called the "NY Invitational."

Now do we have that rarest of tournaments, the one that passes out medals with the wrong name on them, or are you grasping at straws?

Either this tournament is big enough to look up easily and it we can see that there are plenty of competitors, or it's so small that winning it doesn't mean shit.

Or it didn't happen. I lean toward that option.
>>
>>1331840
I'm not goju guy. I just wanted to point out my dissatisfaction with the time limits of Kyokushin Tournaments.

The 1st link isn't about New York, it's about IFK USA.
>>
>>1331690
the conspiracy theories are strong with this one
>>
>>1331840
>>1331858
Well I didn't want to point out my dissatisfaction. I'm dissatisfied and I wanted to point out I believe rounds should be longer.
>>
>>1331690

>we're
>thus
>joking

Holy shit you guys, I have to go to the ER and have them run a kit because I just got raped by autocorrect.
>>
I am a kyokushin competitor in the Northeast. That IFK site has been dead for awhile now.
There are really only a handful of tournaments in the Northeast for kyokushin (many are Kanreikai tournaments, an offshoot of Oyama International I believe which allows other organizational fighters to compete).
I haven't heard of the NY invitational.
Not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just saying that I've been pretty active in the scene the last couple years (prior I fought pro mma, muay thai, K-1 rules kickboxing for ICE) and haven't heard of it.
I was the 2nd place finisher in the Kyokushin-kan US Open at middleweight in 2015. The only big NY tournament I know of that isn't the IKO American Open is the IFK's AIKC (American International Kyokushin Championships) which usually happens in the Fall.
>>
Also, to the OP-

Train hard. Go into the tournament knowing you did everything possible to prepare. You are more likely to get hurt badly if you don't fight as hard ass you can. Many of the people I've seen get hurt in combat sports lacked confidence when they were fighting, became submissive, and paid for it because of it.
Everyone I know gets nerves when it comes to any full contact competition. Except that it is going to happen to you, and when its your time to get on the mat, as you bow, growl that shit out of your system. Let your fear go in that one outburst, then set about fighting your fucking ass off.
And practice checking leg kicks, countering, and then moving before your opponent can re-engage. Practice that shit now obsessively up until you take the mat.
And move. Attack and move. Way too many kyo fighters are getting into the stand and deliver attitude. Look at Gary O'Neil and the other kyokushin fighters of the late 90's to mid 2000's. Its a better way to do things.
It maybe too late for you to adopt that style so close to your tournament, so adopt it later.
>>
>>1332850
>Go into the tournament knowing you did everything possible to prepare.

not OP btw
>did Taekwondo when I was younger
>learned how to punch better from my uncle
>did Shotokan in high school
>got out of college at age 22 and a job right out of college
>be 26 now
>wanted to get back into martial arts
>browsed /asp/
>Kyokushin seems legit.jpg
>take Kyokushin for a month
>join local Kyokushin tournament
>my match starts
>at some point the guy rushes me and I try to front kick his head
>I wasn't flexible enough since I spent so long not exercising and practicing
>it just scrapes up his chest
>I eventually lose by decision
>tfw I could've knocked him out and won if I was more flexible
>>
File: 8QOKgaM.gif (2MB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
8QOKgaM.gif
2MB, 400x253px
>>1331728
Seriously, who the hell can finish in 2 minutes?
>>
>>1333754
>not flexible
>while preparing for Kyokushin, which is head kicks at chest to chest distance the meta

Look anon that's your own goddamn fault for not stretching while exercising and somehow not gaining flexibility from practicing.
>>
>>1334687
>Look anon that's your own goddamn fault for not stretching while exercising and somehow not gaining flexibility from practicing.
I stretched every day.
>>
I did kyokushin tournaments when I was a kid because my dad did them. At my level it was just bloody knuckles and bruise. For my dad it was similar, but small risk of bad injury. The worst I saw was a guy whose femur got broken and he went to hospital after.

You'll be right
>>
>>1334687

Some people don't respond to stretching. My wife is really inflexible despite doing ballet for years as a kid and being really fit. I've always had great flexibility and never really worked at it.
>>
File: knuckle.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
knuckle.gif
1MB, 320x180px
My knuckles weren't conditioned anymore but I did a Kyokushin anyway.
gif related

Did I mess up my knuckle punching someone when I was doing a Kyokushin?
(between middle finger and pinky finger)
>>
>>1312595
>He's gon' git rekt
>>1333754
I did something similar, I just stopped practicing after I went to college, except I was a Kickboxer and I took Goju for a little more than a month before I decided to join a Kyokushin tournament.
They put me up against a white belt, and I only left three bruises on my deltoid area on both of my arms, and a sore right hand.
I lost via decision because I fouled the guy too much and I stepped out of the matts a few times. I was just used to head punches and having the ropes to keep me inside of the ring.
>>
>>1337070
My knuckles look like that, and I'm only training wrestling.
Maybe fucked up genetics, I dunno.
>>
>>1337375
It's like my tendon moves around while all the others don't do that, you can see it in the gif.
I also had pain in that knuckle.
>>
>>1337382
I can move my tendons naturally. Doesn't hurt, or nothing.
Maybe I've got weird hand genetics.
>>
>>1337404
>I can move my tendons naturally
As drastically as in the gif? It's like it dislocates.
>>
>join Kyokushin tournament
>be in the 160lbs and under weight class
>be 120lbs
be fighting in Kyokushin tournament
>jump and lift knee up for crane kick
>opponent jumps up while I jumped and kicks me in the solar plexus
>I feel like I can't move
>as I'm coming down he squats, turns me into a horizontal position and then pushes me up into the air with his fists
>he kicks me in the leg while I'm coming down and then does a jumping knee that hits me in the abdomen and pushes me up again and he punches me in the ribs and then front kicks me as I'm falling to the mat
>>
File: 2016-05-30_23_54_58.gif (2MB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-30_23_54_58.gif
2MB, 360x640px
>>1338219
Here ya go pal, gif shows it all.
>>
>>1338949
Sorry for the shit and grotesque quality, but couldn't find a good editing software for Android.
>>
>>1338949
what does this even mean? my knuckle on that hand does the same thing.

Maybe it's too much WASD
>>
>>1339004
I dunno. Go to a doctor.
It doesn't hurt me and it's quite fun to do. It also works as a party trick for me.

But if it hurts you, see a doctor.
>>
>>1338527
Fucking Mishima style!
>>
>>1339100
Mine happened ever since I got a deep cat scratch on there. Doesn't hurt but there is a scar.
>>
>be Muay Thai practitioner
>decide to join Kyokushin tournament
>deliver a good leg kick to the guy's front leg
>do this a few times and he starts rushing me
>he starts throwing hooks at my body
>I clinch and knee him 3 times
>ref stops fight
>restart
>I throw another leg kick
>he checks the kick and then throws a right at me
>reflex left to his face
>ref stops fight
>restart
>head kick with front leg as he throws leg kick
>he hits me in the nuts
>I take some time to recover
>restart
>start punching him in the chest
>reflexes kick in and elbow to face
>KO him
>lose fight
>>
>>1339197
KK rules are indisputably pretty retarded. I enjoy watching it and it makes for some tough dudes and legit kickers, but that doesn't really make it any less retarded.
>>
>>1339197
this is why goju guy has so much difficulty fighting in tournaments. Since he has those killer instincts he frequently gets disqualified for fighting too effectively.
>>
>>1341505
On one hand, you could try to be the best fighter period, on the other hand, you could try to be the best at playing the game of a combat sport.
>>
Goju Guy, how does it feel to work your way up to being an ultimate fighter where any hand to hand combat things go, but then make it so you're not good at things with a rule set like UFC?
>>
File: tumblr_mx7yo8CgRw1ry1rm7o1_400.gif (2MB, 296x215px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mx7yo8CgRw1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
2MB, 296x215px
>>
File: liver or solar plexus.gif (579KB, 320x158px) Image search: [Google]
liver or solar plexus.gif
579KB, 320x158px
The original file name said liver shot, but it looks like a hit to the solar plexus.
>>
>>1325092
Which one is your karatefu cunny? Personally, I prefer the blonde in the beginning.
>>
>>1344755

Yes, but what you can't do is go into the combat sport and break the rules because muh fightan.

Going into a KK bout and punching your opponent in the face and complaining you lost because you broke the rules makes you as much of a dick as if you went into a basketball game and punched your opponent in the face and complained that you lost.

If you think you're deadly, do MMA or fight bums on World Star or some shit. Nobody's impressed that you can break rules.
>>
>>1345389
>do MMA or fight bums on World Star or some shit.
We need the ultimate combat sport where the only rules are dress code, arena, no weapons, and not killing your opponent if your opponent gives up.
>>
there is no good reason for there to not be punches to the head
Gloves do not in any way make striking safer for the person getting hit. To the contrary in fact because people can punch with impunity without as much risk of damaging their hands
>>
>>1345855
>there is no good reason for there to not be punches to the head
except for avoiding brain damage

my only real complaint is how there's absolutely no grappling allowed whatsoever and the time limit

I think matches should be three 5min rounds with 1min break between each

grappling should be like k-1 rules
>>
>>1345855
Exactly. Gloves protect the hand. If you allow for limitless striking without gloves, you get lots, and lots of hand injuries.
>>
>>1345402
Vale Tudo. Enjoy getting tapped out.
>>
>>1345945
>If you allow for limitless striking without gloves, you get lots, and lots of hand injuries.
maybe at first, but what you will eventually land on is effective karate.
People always bash karate because of its open hand techniques
>bro that shits fuckin stupid, nothin hurts like a fist!
good luck with that

Take away gloves and suddenly palm strikes and ridge hands are back in style

boxing a shit
>>
>>1345855
>>1345945
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion
How do gloves protect the hands if gloves don't protect the fists?
>>
>>1346025
because the gloves and especially the hand wraps worn under them stabilize the small bones in the hand and essentially turns it into a club.
Its like how you can easily break 10 pencils one at a time, but if you put them together and try to break them at once you will never do it
>>
>>1346025
They distribute more evenly the point of impact, less stress to individual parts of the hand
>>
>>1309397
Stand with a solid stance and hands protecting your head. If you're not good at checking, it's better to have a solid stance than risk checking a kick and having your other leg kicked out from under you. It is better to try and check kicks to the mid-body because it's easy for them to fake out and kick you in the face. That's the worst part. Think of it as the element Earth. Stand strong and solid and attack heavily with follow through.
>>
>>1346158
>Stand with a solid stance and hands protecting your head.
But when Kyokushin guys are close up standing and trading punches they keep their hands to their body or punching their opponent.
>>
>>1346158
>hands protecting head
But with your guard that high you expose yourself to brutal body shots and possible organ damage and broken ribs.
>>
File: taekwondo flying bedroom kick.jpg (46KB, 478x630px) Image search: [Google]
taekwondo flying bedroom kick.jpg
46KB, 478x630px
>>1309397
Jumping while kicking helps you work kicking angles but also may make it easier to lose balance.
Like with everything in martial arts, there's a give and take.
>>
File: coma me bro.gif (2MB, 270x262px) Image search: [Google]
coma me bro.gif
2MB, 270x262px
How Taekwondo practitioners can do very high kicks is both impressive and not very applicable in fighting, but because of how your opponent can jump high to kick you, you would need varying levels of height for placing certain kicks during aerial fighting.
>>
File: Arm-muscle-anatomy.jpg (448KB, 1600x1679px) Image search: [Google]
Arm-muscle-anatomy.jpg
448KB, 1600x1679px
>>1309397
You should punch your opponent in the biceps because that's what Ip Man did in Ip Man 2.
>>
>>1346253
chops to the bicep are more effective than punches but punches will still do well. it's the same principle as working leg kicks to take that weapon away from people, attacking the bicep causes muscle spasms and stuff, it will give you a dead arm and make it very sluggish and unresponsive.
You don't see it in mma really because once again the gloves are preventing valid techniques in that situation.

you should try it out, one or two good fwaps to the bicep and you will be surprised at how quickly your arm goes to sleep
>>
>>1309397
>I also cross train judo
Make sure to be aware of your Judo reflexes, and act against them.
>>
>>1309397
Remember that
if you're standing square to your opponent
and standing and trading punches,
you can deliver a good front kick from that stance.
>>
>>1345855

Then that's the reason.

The alternative is you put 16 oz gloves on and swing for the fences in training then the moment you step out of the ring and try to hit a motherfucker back in the club you break your hand because you're a tard.

>>1345999
I've never seen someone throw a ridge hand in any context other than strip mall krotty freeze tag. Ridge hand is a silly technique.
>>
>>1346034
>>1346123
As the energy transfers from the hand through the wraps, energy is lost. As that lesser energy transfers from the wraps through the gloves, energy is lost. That diminished energy is spread out throughout the glove protects the small part of the face. Instead of the part of the face where the two knuckles of the hand make contact getting damaged, like breaking 1 pencil at a time, it's like hitting 10 pencils all together all at one time.
>>
>>1348365
the energy being diminished by the gloves and wraps is negligible compared to the energy it retains from being reinforced. If your fist was only being held together by soft tissue the hand would absorb more energy.
>>1348219

bas rutten has been ridge handing instead of hooking lately
>>
I'm not OP. Is it really better to set weight on your leg to take a leg kick? Is it better to set as much weight as you can?
>>
>>1350238
karate has this one wrong, You should try to check kicks against your shin
>>
>>1332821
>2nd place at Kyokushin US Open at middleweight
>Blagovest Petkov
Yeah ok sure. What is it about this site that allows for rampant bullshiters? At least on bullshido you have to give some credentials.
>>
>>1350295
What if it's too late for that? is it better to do nothing instead of put weight on your leg?
>>
>>1350417
no, then you should load up the leg, Rather get hit with the muscle tightened. And the leg kick is aiming for the nerves running down the side of your leg, so the real important part is to rotate out slightly and take it on as much of the front of the thigh as possible
>>
Anyone else meditating about death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB5LcFNLZk0
>>
>>1349045
>bas rutten has been ridge handing instead of hooking lately

Bas Rutten retired ten years ago. I have no clue what you could possibly be talking about.
>>
>>1351000
he will never retire, just because he doesn't fight professionally doesn't mean he has stopped practicing. He's not some has been that sits around doing nothing all day. he's still out on the mats in his free time.
>>
>>1351112
>he will never retire, just because he doesn't fight professionally doesn't mean he has stopped practicing. He's not some has been that sits around doing nothing all day. he's still out on the mats in his free time.
I can't imagine not practicing just because I get old.
>>
>>1351112
There's a big difference between keeping yourself fit and fighting professionally at a high level, especially when you even admit that your body's pretty much broken down like he does. I'm a fan of Bas, but he's both retired and shouldn't be taken as the be-all end-all of martial arts opinions.
>>
>>1351112

Okay, that's inspiring and all, but here in reality he's retired and whatever he's doing as he sucks around at the gym doesn't count as evidence of your claims.
>>
>>1352391
He said Bas Rutten has been ridge handing instead of hooking lately. How is seeing Bas Rutten ridge handing instead of hooking lately not evidence of his claims?
>>
>>1352419

Because an old man dicking around in the gym (no idea why my phone corrected "dicks" to "sucks" earlier) is no indication that it's combat-effective. I've seen the goddamndest bullshit work dicking around in the gym that nobody should ever take into the ring or the street.

Who are the fighters who are making ridge hand work in the ring consistently? Not a one-off gimmick, like that guy who landed a meia lua de compasso in a fight once, but as often as other fighters land effective hooks? Show me that guy. Show me the guy who throws ridge hands when there's money on the line and makes them work.
>>
>>1353554

>>1353554
Who's saying anyone said anything about combat effectiveness?

>as often as other fighters landing effective hooks
You might not understand how to properly interpret data in order to compare it to other data in an attempt to utilize it as evidence for a claim you are arguing for.
>>
>>1353554
There's a place called Tanland.
In Tanland, there are 100 people.
70 of the people in tanland practice the rear leg front push kick, 20 people help train rear leg front push kick practitioners, and 10 just watch.

There's also a place called Yellowring.
In yellow ring, there are 100 people.
70 people in yellow ring train the rear leg round kick, 20 people help other people train the rear leg round kick, and 10 people just watch.

Tanland practitioners and Yellowring practitioners get together 6 times a year to compete against each other in combat to test skill and gain respectable rankings as fighters.
A lot of Tanland practitioners have effectively landed a lot of rear leg front push kicks in the competitions. A lot of Yellowring practitioners have effectively landed rear leg round kicks a lot of times in the competitions.

But there is a small far away land called Browntan.
There are 10 people in Browntan. All of the people in Browntan practice the jab.
2 people in Browntan practice the jab, the rear leg front push kick, and the rear leg round kick.

Only 1 person from Browntan competes with the other practitioners.

In the competitions, the Browntan practitioner effectively lands rear leg front push kicks. The brown tan practitioner effectively lands rear leg round kicks in competitions. The Browntan practitioner effectively lands the jab in competitions.

In the competitions, rear leg front push kicks and rear leg round kicks have effectively landed a lot more times than the jab.

47% of the total rear leg front push kicks in the competitions have landed effectively.
47% of the total rear leg round kicks in the competitions have landed effectively.
47% of the total jabs in the competitions have landed effectively.
>>
>>1353554
Nice use of buzzwords there.
>>
>>1353554
gloves render hand strikes other than punches largely ineffectual. As we have discussed earlier, once you remove the gloves you see closed fist punches disappear and used much more sparingly in favor of more reliable and safer strikes.
>>
>>1353554
Well, this is easy to solve.

The 'ridgehands' Bas is advocating for are just Russian Hooks. I didn't want to step into the quagmire of whether a Russian Hook is all that distinct from a ridgehand, but that's what Bas is talking about.

You can find loads of fighters using Russian Hooks. Have a video breakdown of Fedor using them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ymyu6funWA
>>
>>1353592
>gloves render hand strikes other than punches largely ineffectual

MMA gloves have an open, unpadded palm and there's no such thing as a valid or invalid striking surfaces so palm shots are wholly functional. The only problem is that losing that extra range does indeed hurt when everyone else is just punching since you have gloves and wraps. By way of an actual, active example, Junior dos Santos is a former UFC heavyweight champ and primarily a orthodox boxer that works heavily off his jab, but he throws looping "hooks" which connect with the heel of his palms as he's recognized its value as a solid striking surface that has no covering.
>>
File: spirallinggnome.gif (188KB, 170x162px) Image search: [Google]
spirallinggnome.gif
188KB, 170x162px
>>1353585

I don't get it, do you mean I should be looking for a Browntan dojo?
>>
>>1353737
Yes.
>>
File: ridge hand.jpg (14KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ridge hand.jpg
14KB, 640x480px
>>1353704

I'll step into it. A Russian hook is a punch; a closed-fist strike. A ridge hand is a krotty chop with the thumb side instead of the little finger side; an open-hand strike.

>>1353585
Thank you lesswrong.com. Find me one guy who is landing a thumb-side krotty chop in competition and laying motherfuckers out. Just one. I'm not asking you if ridge hand knockouts are as common as hook knockouts. I understand few people are trying them. I'm asking you if ANYBODY is trying them, and if so, how's that working out for them?
>>
>>1356038
>thinks ridge hand strikes have to be with an open hand
>>
File: Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg (29KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
29KB, 300x240px
>>1356067
>>
>>1353704
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ymyu6funWA
>1:45
Kind of disappointed the throw wasn't replayed.

>roundhouse kick to leg
I remember some faggot on /asp/ trying to say people don't get stun locked.
One of the most common examples is when people get hit with leg kicks.
>>
>>1356183
russian hooks are ridge hand strikes you fukcing faggot
>>
>>1358266

Russian hooks strike with the knuckles. Ridge hands strike with the side of the metacarpals. Everything about that is completely different.
>>
>>1358354
>Everything about that is completely different.
It's like the difference between an apple and a pear
they're both fruit
>>
>>1358377

Are you a space alien? How many chromosomes do you have? It ain't 46 if you said something this ridiculous.

If you're actually dumb enough not to understand how fundamentally different punching with your knuckles is from swinging the side of your hand into something, you're too stupid to have this conversation. I don't have enough crayons to catch you up to the basic level of understanding it would take for you to discuss chops vs. punches with any insight into it, so I guess I'm finished.

It's a shame this is an anonymous forum, because something as dumb as what you just posted should really be attached to your name for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1358354
>Everything about that is completely different.
>a white fedora is completely different from a blue fedora with a red button
>>
>>1358408
>being this buttmad
kek
>>
>>1358408
2 obvious m8
>>
>>1358377
>they're both fruit
No their not. They only way they're similar is that you do them both using your hands. They're not in same category/don't look the same nor do the same thing.
>>1358266
This is just wrong
>>
>>1358426

The big difference is there's structure behind a punch. You're can put weight into it because you're loading the striking arm axially. There's nothing behind a chop. You're just swinging your arm into something.

Some people have heavy hands and can undoubtedly slap me and knock me the fuck out. But ANYBODY off the street could learn how to punch me and do the same thing.
>>
>>1359369
>trying this hard
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.