[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for Martial Arts Instructors. How much is your rent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1409659818545.gif (868KB, 350x193px) Image search: [Google]
1409659818545.gif
868KB, 350x193px
Question for Martial Arts Instructors. How much is your rent?

I've approached a gym who want to charge me $100 rent for 2 hours and an extra 5$ a head per student (per class). So if 20 people rock up they want another $100 on top of the base rent.

If I run 3 classes a week it will set me back $600 (if 20 students rock up for each class). I'm charging $20 per class (with discounts for direct debit payments) so I would make $1200 minus 600 in rent - which doesn't sound that great. I also need to pay tax on all this.

The facilities aren't that great either, it's in a corporate gym with a wooden floor and no mats (though they do have storage for mats), which I would need to provide myself (another 4 or 5k upfront).

And that's best case scenario. I used to run a dojo and had on average 7-10 students a night at best. At worst only 3 or 4 people would show up.

I've shopped around for other venues, but it's pretty much the same issue. Gymnastics halls want $125 for the whole facility per hour and a Martial Arts club I contacted wanted $70 an hour.

Is it just me or are these prices nuts? You would need to be charging $30 per student to break even, and that just seems really high?
>>
I don't pay anything in rent.
People pay me for choosing to teach at their school

that's the way this is supposed to work, the schools are supposed to approach you and ask if you want to teach classes/seminars and you tell them how much its going to cost to get you there
>>
>>1305728
Why not just get your own place?

The key is advertising, location, cost, and quality.

If it's easy to get to your classes, they'll want to go.
If it's easy to pay for your classes, they'll want to go.
If your classes are good classes, they'll want to go.

But they can't go to your classes if they don't know your classes exist.

This is where the internet comes in.
You could even advertise on 4chan.
People use social media a lot for networking.
Make a Facebook, make a Twitter, and constantly update it. Make a YouTube, and constantly post videos - encourage people to LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE, if you like this video, please share it with your friends.
Media networking isn't where it stops. Make business cards, and hand them out. Talk to people, talk to friends, talk to family, talk to other martial arts practitioners, tell them you have classes, encourage them to check it out, and encourage them to share it.
Humans are social creatures, they share information all the damn time, that information could be about how you have martial arts classes. Hell, I'm sharing information with your right now, because (maybe) being social and sharing information is an evolutionarily advantageous trait.
Make picket signs and post them all over main roads and places people go by a lot. Next to stop signs is a good location because people will stay and maybe look around during red lights.
Put a big ass sign with bold letters in front of the building.
Make big ass letters appear on your website, facebook, twitter, about your GRAND OPENING - CLASSES COMING SOON, or some shit.
I can't begin to tell you how many martial arts schools are losing money simply because they can't advertise well, especially because they don't know how to advertise online and maintain their websites well.
>>
>>1305728
>>1306242
I lied, the key is advertising, location, cost, quality, and how unique you are and or how much people like you.

If you're unique, you're easy to remember and share.
If people like you, you're easy to remember and share.
Sex sells. If you're sexy, you're easy to remember and share.

This is where some basic knowledge of psychology can go a long way.

Some people differentiate by being 2deadly.
Some people are relatable because they're a family man who likes to relax with a bear.
Some people differentiate by being the gentleman badass (a good choice), or the scholarly fighter.
Some people are likeable because they're humble.
Some people are likeable because they can make people laugh.
Some people are likeable and differentiated because they're extremely generous and kind.
Some people differentiate because they offer quality instruction, are able to create quality fighters, and are confident about their abilities because they just know they're good.
>>
>>1305728
>>1306242
>>1306279

DON'T FORGET (notice how the big letters got your attention) to blatantly tell people everything about what you do and what your classes are.
On Facebook, on Twitter, on YouTube, on your website: provide every single detail about you, your classes, and what you do. Provide a summary of your biography, but also provide another section dedicated to a more in-depth biography - include information about who you are, what you believe, and the stuff tied to emotions really gets people going. Explain how you structure your training, on a monthly basis, on a weekly basis, on a daily basis, how each class goes, how each class goes by the sub-section. Explain your mixture of forms, bagwork, etcetera for technique, drills for technique and application, controlled and restrictive light sparring for technique and application, light free sparring for technique but more application, and full contact fuck each other up (but in a professional and controlled, safe environment) sparring that still had technique benefits, but is heavily focused on application. Tell them exactly what style(s) you're going to be teaching, what techniques you're going to be teaching, how you're going to show variations of those techniques, how you're going to compare and contrast the techniques - even the little tiny details, tell them how you're going to explain the relationship and application of techniques in drills and sparring, show them you know what you're talking about, and you know it well, or just do it with confidence so it makes them feel like you're very knowledgeable.
Fucking tell them how much it costs, just let them know how much your time is going to cost.

You want to make it seem like your classes are a dope ass deal. You want to make it seem like your classes are worth more than they can ever imagine.
Your classes need to seem like they're worth the money. They should be worth the money, it's best in the long run.
>>
>>1305728
>>1306242
>>1306279
>>1306290

If you're knowledgeable, if you teach well, if you're in an easily accessible location, if you're classes are easy to pay for, if you're different and or likeable, if you let people know what it is that you're actually doing, and if you advertise well, you raise your chances of managing a successful business quite a bit.

If every shingle aspect of your isn't up to scratch, don't sweat it, just make sure you're making an effort to improve yourself.

Always plan.
Plan, do it a lot, it helps you avoid fucking up.

Like me, for example. I didn't plan this, I just started typing on 4chan.
My shit is all unorganized and unrefined, some parts might need more detail, some parts might need less detail.
I wouldn't want to present this to someone I was helping to start a business.
>>
>>1305728
>>1306242
>>1306279
>>1306290
>>1306311
And you probably want to be a little more subtle with some things. At least some of the time, this statement is true: You don't want to look desperate.
>>
>>1305728
>be freestyle martial artist
>stopped training at gyms after college
>still trained with some buddies and cousins at least once a week
>have extended family
>younger cousins and nephews want to learn martial arts
>I teach them for free, my cousins and some of my buddies help out sometimes
>parents insist on throwing me money every now and again
>the friends of the kids want to learn martial arts now
>we end up teaching a special blend of MMA and Kickboxing to a bunch of kids in my basement or backyard on the weekends, some of the older kids train with my buddies and cousins
>I didn't directly tell the parents of the non-family kids what they were doing, but I told them to let their parents know
>some of the parents decide they want to talk to me directly, get to know what we're doing, they really just want to know that their kids are safe
>they check out what we do in classes
>I talk to them personally, tell them about the benefits of martial arts, all that cheesy self development stuff
>I tell them it doesn't cost a thing, but $10 a class or every few classes would go a long way
>I end up with most parents giving me $20 a week
>family starts paying me more because I'm getting more students and it's harder on me to focus on their kids
>I give $10 to whoever accepts the money to teach each day they show up
>this goes on for a while, a lot of the kids have a good time and stay dedicated
>we end up with 10-25 kid waiting in my backyard to train every weekend
>I'm starting to make decent money out of this
>company I work for decides to put all the work overseas to save money
>I lost my meaningless desk job
>get a part-time job as a manager at a local grocery store
>start to think about how meaningless my job was, how meaningless my whole life was
>>
>but I see a difference in teaching kids martial arts
>my part-time job barely covers my living expenses
>I was renting to own, and I'd own my home in 2 years
>was saving up for early retirement so I could just bullshit the rest of my life
>start thinking the early retirement would be a meaningless life
>teaching martial arts wont be meaningless
>I teach more than just on the weekends because I'm only working part-time
>I can't do it professionally in my backyard, there's barely enough space, and it'd be hard to find
>research property around my area
>there's a home for sale right next to the main road and plots of paved land where a bunch of stores are on (what are those called?)
>this is the perfect location, and all my students could get to the area easily
>check out the house, I'm going to have to spend more money to renovate it for martial arts
>talk with people, and it's possible to renovate it the way I want
>it costs money
>I also have to pay for mats and equipment
>I'd end up with less than 10k to my name
>decided to talk to all of the parents of my current students
>see how many would be willing to pay monthly
>there are still some that can't afford it, but I can't tell them they can't train
>think more about how much I'm going to charge students, how much I'm going to make
>talk to my cousins and buddies, if I make enough, some are willing to get hired, but they all say they can volunteer at least once a week, which is pretty great
>I'm going to still have to work my part-time job unless I get a lot more students to support myself if I want the gym profits to go towards balancing out the start up costs
>>
>decided to do it anyway, I'm kind of already doing it
>the process actually takes a while, especially because of the rennovation
>still teaching in my backyard, but all of the families of the students are very supportive and most of the students end up paying $10 a class before I hunker down on the contracts, which would actually be cheaper for some of the kids that come often
>5 classes a week, 1 class each day, $100 a month for all classes
>long story short, I'm doing something I believe in
>or maybe I just made up a story on the spot / bump
>>
>>1305728

You haven't even told us what country you're in. US dollars or Aussie dollars? What state and city? That's the kicker. If you're in San Francisco I could see some gym wanting hundreds of dollars an hour. Here in West Bumfuck, North Carolina a TKD gym just lets my wife use the place to teach belly dance for free on Saturday mornings because they're not using it. The rest of the country is somewhere between those two extremes.

>>1306242
This guy here has a lot of good information you should listen to, but you're going to need to give some information to get useful feedback.
>>
>>1311343
>or maybe I just made up a story on the spot / bump
stop spying on my dreams anon. Although my dream would require more than five classes a week unless I delegate tho.
But then I'd be falling into the mcdojo fallacy of making senior students teach. Plus having enough time in after-school hours would be tough.
>>
>OP nowhere in sight
Maybe the stress got to him and he died of a heart attack.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.