[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boxing vs MMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 13

File: boxing-mma.jpg (117KB, 747x346px) Image search: [Google]
boxing-mma.jpg
117KB, 747x346px
Let's talking Boxing vs MMA in a street fight, not necessarily against one another but used in the streets in general. What do you think works better?
>>
>>1295483
>striking vs striking+grappling
>who wins

Oh gee, I really wonder. Thanks for making this interesting thread, OP.
>>
>>1295483
This is fucking stupid. Of course MMA would be more useful in a street fight because boxers aren't taught to defend against takedowns or grapple or defend against kicks. Boxers specialize in a set of skills that's used for a sport that has rules which make it very dissimilar to a street fight while MMA was designed to get the closest thing you could to a street brawl and still broadcast it in "civilized" countries.
>>
>>1295487
>Shitty Striking technique
>Attempting to take someone down in hard asphalt which would do more damage to you than to your opponent

Boxing is more specialized, yes, but it works best in a street fight. First of all punches are faster than kicks and easier to get off, secondly footwork and balance are key in boxing. Most MMA fighters have shitty balance and are reckless brawlers when it comes to stand up, they'd be low-amateur tier in boxing at best if they chose to cross over.

Bruce Lee once said "I feat not the man who practices 1000 kicks, but I fear the man who practices the same kick 1000 times" Which is so true. Not to mention boxing has shown to be more effective in a street fight than mma.
>>
>>1295492
>Defending kicks

Eh, if you understand footwork you can easily defend against a kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qaAfu-aOc

>Takedowns

It's called angling out.

As for the rest of your post, most folk in a street fight are going to throw punches, not kicks, knees, and elbows. You can move and punch, your opponent can't move and kick though.
>>
>>1295492
MMA was designed as a marketing tool for bjj, nothing more
>>
Mike Tyson in his prime would knock Jon Jones out in a fraction of a second, fights start standing up, not on the ground.
>>
>>1295508
Lol yeah me double legging you is really gonna hurt me. Please train for more than 3 months thanks.
>>
>>1295556
>James Toney vs Randy Couture
>>
MMA fighter can't outbox boxer.

So it's basically

A's punching
vs.
B's kicking, grappling, submissions, wrestling, etc. and keep in mind if B feels like not getting punched, he can literally just fall to the ground any time A's fists get too close

Boxing (aka punching) can be completely nullified.

It's literally a stalemate for A at best, and outside of that B wins every time.
>>
>>1295546
obviously it has evolved since 1993
>>
>>1295587
A isn't just punching, this shows just how little MMA guys know about boxing. It's punching, footwork, distance deception, angles, etc...

Most MMA fighters have shitty footwork and are one dimensional, I'm scared of sloppy kicks I can easily move out of the way of, or takedowns that leave your face completely open for me to sneak about 3-4 punches in while I angle out away from your fish flop.
>>
>>1295599
*not scared
>>
>>1295483

Boxing 100% because MMA wastes time learning ground fighting which is utter suicide outside of an organized sport fight.
>>
>>1295583
>Comparing and out of Shape James toney past his prime to an explosive demon Mike Tyson in his prime.

Get real.
>>
>>1295606
this is pretty true

there are very few applicable offensive submissions, thats why people always go for the gound n pound when they are on top instead of fishing for americanas and shit. Even my jiujitsu teacher said this shit is mostly useless in a real fight, you don't want to be rolling around on the sidewalk and shit. Best thing you can do on the ground is mount and punch the shit out of the guy, looking for submissions is a waste of fucking time.

in order to be a good MMA fighter all you need to know are a few escapes should you wind up on your back

10-15 hours in jiujitsu just learning how to properly frame and hip out if someone is on top of you is all you need
>>
Give a top 10 high level boxer some takedown and kick defense and he'll pwn most MMA fighters. Most MMA fighters would lose to a boxer in a straight boxing match however.
>>
Is everybody here mentally challenged? Why are you all fucking acting like MM artists with a boxing background don't exist?
>>
File: pff.jpg (1MB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
pff.jpg
1MB, 1885x1060px
martial arts in general don't really work unless the other guy is using martial arts back against you, know what I mean?

at the end of the day nothing is better than a swift kick to the dick and a hard slap to the side of the head
>>
>>1295947
>martial arts in general don't really work unless the other guy is using martial arts back against you, know what I mean?
???????????
>>
>>1295508
Takedowns aren't like WWE. They are not supposed to hurt first, they are to bring them to the ground so you can beat them down or submit. How a takedown attempt would hurt you is some really stupid logic, or just a god awful attempt.

As to OP, pure boxing loses to MMA. No debate to this. You can't box from your back or chest on the ground. There always is the punchers chance, but the MMA guy should be aware of this by default. Don't even get this debate existing. It is as pointless as Sword vs. Assault Rifle.
>>
>>1295934
This. Doth thou recall holly holm?
>>
>>1295599
Go spar with people at your local MMA gym using only boxing and record it for us so we can all see how great you do. Thanks :)
>>
>>1296001
I once entered an MMA tournament and actually managed to win with nothing but my Boxing background and some tips from my coach. He taught me how to check kicks and how to snuff takedowns and avoid them.

I went into a bout and fought some meathead, from the bell he started throwing sloppy as punches that I easily blocked and parried and some sloppy ass leg kicks that were effortlessly evaded. I just bounced in and out and kept my distance, my jabs to his body were clearly bothering him and he was getting tired by the end of the first round. As big as this fucker was his cardio was terrible.

So in the second round i heard his coaches yelling "take him down, take him down! Double leg em!" so I knew what to expect coming out, so he tried diving towards me and I angled out to my left. Waited for him to get him so we can finish on the feet, then when he tried to throw some lazy ass jab I timed him a right cross and knocked his ass smooth out.

Was honestly one of the easiest fights I'd ever fought.
>>
>>1295961
like consider spider guard and de la riva shit and all that. That's some advanced jiujitsu that would never ever work if the person wasn't trying to do jiujitsu back at you
>>
>>1295483
>Street fight

Whoever uses a weapon first
>>
File: fist.gif (16KB, 262x301px) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16KB, 262x301px
>>1297566
my body is a weapon
>>
>>1297582
Not against a knife
>>
>>1297608
my reflexes are too swift, you would be incapacitated before you could draw your knife
>>
>>1295483
An interesting argument. Honestly it depends. Look at holly holm and Rhonda rousey. Holly demolished Rhonda with wonderful boxing and Rhonda could not respond at all. Holly tried that with miesha Tate and got rear naked in the last round. Same with Conor mcgregor. I would argue that every fighter needs a boxing background because it's so dominant against average fighters. But the danger of a high level jujutsu player is that if you get trapped, you're done. I don't think you can kill many people with punches, but you can definitely kill someone with a choke.

I'd say boxing is great but really good jujutsu is dangerous.
>>
>>1297645
i chuckled
>>
>>1297805
Junior Dos Santos and The Diaz brothers are basically boxers, not even on the elite level either, with takedown experience and grappling experience. Also I disagree, since in a street fight the only thing you'd need to do to avoid a rear naked choke is bite the fuck out of the fucker who has his forearm in your face.
>>
>>1297899
Bite the forearm? While you're choking?? Do you realize that it takes no time to choke someone out with a good lock? Biting doesn't hurt that much either. One solid lock and its lights out.

Every decent MMA fighter has boxing experience. Nate is mainly a jujutsu guy. A good rear naked choke won't expose the forearm like that. In a street fight, a professional with experience even without fighting dirty would slaughter a dirty amateur. Dirty fighting is only good with decent technique, unless you're talking about having a larger number advantage.
>>
>>1298517
>>1298517
also a lot of MMA guys now dont even do RNCs they turn the grip into jaw breakers and pop the goes jaw with the crushing pressure of the grip, trying to bite that will just crush the teeth with the jaw
>>
>>1295660
james toney
>>
>>1297805
>I don't think you can kill many people with punches
You can debilitate them with punches to the throat, spine, and groin.
>>
>>1296314
Lol that totally happened
>>
>>1297805
>I don't think you can kill many people with punches
dude you cant be serious.
have a look at the one punch crimes going on in australia right now
and the amount of pro boxers killed in the ring since the sports invention.
>>
>>1295546
You're thinking of UFC, not MMA. MMA already existed in differing capacities in Japan and Brazil by the time the UFC was formed.
>>
>>1299009
To be fair those aren't people dying from punches so much as their head hitting the floor
>>
>>1297899
>in a street fight the only thing you'd need to do to avoid a rear naked choke is bite the fuck out of the fucker who has his forearm in your face
The myth of dirty techniques somehow invalidating submission holds must stop. Why would someone who's choking you let go just because you're trying to rake their eyes or bite them? If anything they'd squeeze harder.
>>
>>1296314
Lmao sure anon
>>
>>1297805
Yes nobody has ever been killed while boxing, this is absolutely unheard of. Feel free to go back to your fake fighting tv show threads.
>>
>>1296314
And then everyone clapped and the kids at school clapped and stopped laughing at my tapout shirts.
>>
>>1299136
Of course it's possible, but in a 1 v 1 situation it is unlikely to kill someone with a punch. But you definitely can kill someone with a good choke.
>>
>>1298594
Ray Mercer.
>>
>>1299021
Because you're going to be either blind or bleed out unless you let the fuck go.
>>
>>1298517
And do you realize it takes time to wrap your forearm around someones neck? You talk like the person can instantly materialize there arm around the persons neck, you don't even have to bite WHILE choking but while they are attempting TOO choke. And unless they want to die of anemia from losing an enormous chunk out of their arm then they'd be wise not to try that shit again. Also what if I have a knife? You'd be dumb enough to attempt to choke someone out who could shank your ass while you're attempting to do your dry hump techniques? And you don't think a boxer using dirty technique is even worse?
>>
Hmmm let's compare.

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaVS6yR7XA

vs this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIYlFH4BLU

Which one looks like it takes more skill?
>>
I mean, a properly applied choke doesn't go across the face and down, it slips under the jaw by blading across the neckline
>>
For someone with limited time on their hands, without a doubt boxing. With MMA you are never going to become very good at anything while in boxing you will learn to punch hard and fast and also take punches.
>>
>>1295483
Footwork focused mma. That doesnt mean ufc stuff specifically, just mixed arts. Particularly boxing mixed with any grappling if only to stuff the half assed takedown that come your way.
>>1299665
Is true though.
>>
>>1299160
>in a 1 v 1 situation it is unlikely to kill someone with a punch
You're retarded or just pretending to be?
>>
>>1295508
>not taking muay Thai techniques into account.
A pure boxer wouldn't be able to fend off being clinched and having elbows and knees thrown at them
>>
>>1299292
No not really, take the pain if it's a bite or just close your eyes and turn your head. You've got them in a choke for christ's sake, only a fool would let that go because the motherfucker who's trying to blind you is trying to blind you.
I challenge you to find say, two videos of that thing working against someone with training by the way.
>>
>>1299630
This.
>>
>>1300844
Bas rutten told a story about a guy who said he would just gouge his eye out if he had him in a choke. Bas responded by putting him in a choke position and saying
>OK now I'm going to sing the choke in, and if you come anywhere close to my eye I'm going to break your fucking neck
The guy apparently changed his tunes pretty quick
>>
File: batistacamekekin.png (19KB, 77x68px) Image search: [Google]
batistacamekekin.png
19KB, 77x68px
>>1295483
It's so goddamn funny how Brock Lesnar looks so fucking strong in WWE. That always comes to my mind, when I see that left picture
>>
>>1300967
>tfw if Cain Velasquez was in WWE Vince would bury him as a prelim act and probably give him a janitor gimmick
They'd probably treat Overeem like a god though
>>
>>1300974
Cain isn't that dumb to go to WWE… Even though, they would pay him shitloads of money just to act like he's fighting.
>>
File: 1458743619930.jpg (296KB, 1284x722px) Image search: [Google]
1458743619930.jpg
296KB, 1284x722px
Everybody wants to see a McGregor vs Mayweather fight… Under boxing or MMA rules? Where the fuck it would happen? Nowhere! The only place we most likely will see a fight like that, would be WWE
>>
>>1300983
Oh I know that already, I'm just making an overplayed point about Vince being hung up on heights and bodies
>>
>>1300833
You have to be close to throw elbows and knees, k thanks. Also you know there is clenching in boxing right?
>>
Boxing, quickest knockout, better spacial awareness, better mobility, always prepared to flee if necessary
>>
>>1295511
That's why pure boxers go so far in the Mauy Thai world and don't immediately get their legs chewed up at all right? They just angle out. Never mind retreating leaves your trailing leg within kicking distance and no weight on it to try and absorb some of the damage. I'm sure a wrestler has never had to deal with someone moving laterally against them or vertically for that matter.

fucking lmao
>>
>>1295660
>just go get some takedown defense and kick defense

Fighters who have been working grappling and kickboxing their whole lives still get takendown and kicked. That's like saying "All an MMA fighter needs to do to compete is learn better angles and movement then they'll pwn all these boxers"
>>
>>1299301
>It takes time too choke?

It takes almost no time and say you bite one forearm and I lift it and slide the other under the chin, then you're fucked.

Or I go catch as catch can and crank your jaw and make it pop immediately.

This "dirty fighting" shit has never worked against good grappling. Shit never worked well in any org where there was no rules, it doesn't work in a street fight.
>>
Why does everything have to be style vs MMA? Like MMA is literally just combined styles. There is some sort of weird idea that you can't be a good boxer if you cross train or something. Btw the reason MMA fighters take a "sloppy" boxing stance in a fight is because they don't like how vulnerable the boxing stance leaves them to takedowns and kicks from the outside. A boxing stance makes you a smaller target against punches but falls short against kicks and take downs. No one is stopping a pure boxer from going in to MMA and cleaning up. If you truly believe boxing is superior than training boxing with grappling than that's cool I guess.
>>
>>1301020
>boxers have projectile attacks
Whoa
>>
>>1301524
MMA is a ruleset, really. Not even a style to combination of them.
>>
>>1302851
>Jabs and right hands exist

who
>>
>>1301519
Boxing is an unnatural movement, so it's harder to learn. Grappling is very natural for human beings however. It's pretty fucking easy to time dropping your weight on some guys spine to avoid being taken down compared to dodging 5-6 punches with proper footwork and coordination in one go.
>>
>>1302927
Exactly, most of you idiots would probably just cover up or back up with your hands out while leaving your chin exposed, REAL boxing isn't as easy as it looks.
>>
>>1301519
Holly Holm and Joanna Jersjixndionioren manage to get away with it.
>>
>>1302852
MMA, generally speaking, is hybrid footwork, Boxing jabs, Boxing Crosses, Boxing Hooks, Muay Thai Striking, Wrestling, BJJ, and some Judo depending on the time period and gym. How much Kickboxing is involved also depends on the gym.
>>
>>1301513
Yep, that's why Buakaw got the shit knocked out of him by like 3 boxers. Most of the so called "boxers" who go into muay thai just straight up stand and try to trade punches vs their kicks with NO defense, footwork or muay thai wise. However I've straight up employed the footwork that Marvin Cook showcased in that video and it WORKS, most Muay Thai fighters fucking stand in the middle of the ring and trade, they work on absorbing punishment. Boxing focuses on AVOIDING it, so if you're up against a guy that wont give you a chance to sit still and set your kicks while he's popping you in the stomach with a jab and sucking the air out of you, it can be a pretty damn annoying experience.
>>
>>1295483

I trained MMA for a years and my first move in a fight (if I couldn't avoid it) would probably be to throw a quick one-two.

If I was fighting a boxer I'd probably try to grapple tho.
>>
File: Flair.jpg (150KB, 728x400px) Image search: [Google]
Flair.jpg
150KB, 728x400px
>>1295587
What stops me from kicking and stomping his face in when he falls down or throwing something on him?

This is a street fighter (considering objects are around) so both are equal because in a street fight you fuck all rules and disciplines. It literally comes to luck and who can get a lucky shot in. You get grabbed why not just elbow the dood in the back of the head. Boxer getting close kick him in the legs(or between dpedning if there's like a honor rule or something) and put him in a standing rear naked choke.

It all comes down to who's willing to play the dirtiest. So the real winner is Ric Flair.
>>
>>1295483
>Prize fighting vs realistic fighting
Autism speaks
>>
File: 20160325_163144(0).jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160325_163144(0).jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1295483
Boxing

Real street fights don't last more than 5 to 10 seconds. MMA kicks/grappling/jujitsu techniques were designed for pro fighters in sports events. In a real life situation you want to punch as fast and as hard as you can to knock down your opponent, you don't want to waste time.

Although I'm not saying that MMA is useless, far from it, but in a real life threatening situation you barely got time to think what you are doing.

I've been assaulted two times and both times I beat the shit out of those faggots using boxing, both fights did not last more that 3 seconds.

The first time a drunk thug thought he could steal money from me, he got near me and asked me for money, I told him to fuck off and the asshole sucker punched me (breaking my glasses), I immediately got into boxing stance and punched him like 3 times knocking him down.

Second time (Pic related): this asshole tried to steal my cellphone snatching it from my hands while I was in my car at a redlight. He thought he could outrun me, so I immediately parked my car at a corner store and followed him running as fast as I could for like 6 to 7 blocks and when I finally caught up to him I punched him like 7 times straight to the nose, which I broke, then after that I kicked him on the ground. Felt good, ha.
>>
>>1303345
Flair got beaten up by his mandaughter and called the police
He wins fuck all
>>
street rules bitch. Grappling in a streetfight is the dumbest thing you can do if there are friends or foes watching. Enjoy taking a kick with a steel toed boot to the head or worse
>>
The real question should be grappling vs striking. MMA includes strikes and by suggesting a boxer learn some takedown defense it's immediately MMA vs MMA

So grappling vs striking. Grappling wins a lot in mma but there is a question of quality of competition in both respects. Generally whoever is really good at one thing gets a lot of wins. But a well rounded fighter can come along and get a huge upset. It's MMA. You could go in with Capoeira or even use pro wrestling moves and win sometimes.

But regardless mma results shouldn't matter as it is never just boxing vs just grappling. The closest would be Antonio Inoki vs Muhammad Ali except Inoki was allowed to kick. It was a stalemate with Inoki leaping to his back and kicking Ali's legs for 15 rounds and contributed to Ali's failing health.

But, catch wrestlers, back when pro wrestling was real, and when it was fake but claimed to be real, were capable of defending themselves against anyone with submissions that aren't legal in mma. However one wrestler near the turn of the century was so good he took on any challenge, never lost, and defeated every judokan Japan had in matches where if I'm not mistaken the judokan could strike.

But ultimately there is no definitive evidence. Both of them will beat an untrained foe and depending on skill level each other. But ultimately it would come down to the nuances of the fighters' styles. If the boxer is used to being close he's getting killed. If he is a douche like Mayweather he'd probably frustrate and injure the grappler until the grappler gave up. I guess you could call that a win.

But, if it's a place with walls the boxer is also in trouble. Once cornered he's fucked. So in most cases I'd give the advantage to the grappler.
>>
>>1303424
>But, if it's a place with walls the boxer is also in trouble. Once cornered he's fucked. So in most cases I'd give the advantage to the grappler.

Lol? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on84MOLplKk
>>
>>1303449
Not sure what that video had to do with anything. A grappler would be grappling. Techniques for getting out of a corner against another boxer are meaningless. That is if the question is just boxing vs just grappling. The boxer could still clinch or whatever but it wouldn't mean much. Not saying a boxer couldn't win but I'd still take grappling over boxing if I had to pick. Obviously in the real world you can use both but my friend was number one in the state in karate tournaments and I still dropped him on his head any time we fought. If you're trying for punches they better be powerful. Three good punches to the face still don't beat a piledriver
>>
>>1303476
>Three good punches to the face still don't beat a piledriver
One good punch to the jaw makes people completely unable to grapple or do anything whatsoever besides breath, and even then the breathing can be pretty bad.
>>
>>1297566
Yeap. That it actually
And, by weapon , you could be using a fucking brick or a bottle.
>>
>>1303476
One single good punch can knock you out and/or break your jaw or nose, dumbass.
>>
>>1303476
> Techniques for getting out of a corner

These aren't techniques for getting out of a corner, these are techniques for fighting IN a corner. And you'd be a fucking dumbass to try to shoot for a takedown while my back is against a wall, go ahead and try to wrap up with a master in fighter and see if you don't end up with cracked ribs and a ruptured liver, you seem to think boxing is a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFfCgHjch4w
>>
>>1303860
It can also do fucking nothing. Dense motherfucker, I'll say it again, you better have power. You better be fast enough to avoid him and hurt him enough that he gives up, or have enough power to end the fight right away.

You must think you can knock out ANYONE. I've been punched hard in the face plenty of times and even when it makes my head spin it doesn't do shit. A broken rib or nose or even jaw still doesn't beat a broken neck. So if I had to pick, yeah I'd rather be able to break a neck.
>>1303764
It is a game dumbdumb. Even taking away gloves, giving you illegal strikes and kicks, that is still zero grappling skills beyond hugging.
Okay yes break my liver when your arms are being restrained. Your video is even dumber than. Once it comes to a
clinch, that's the end of 'just' boxing. A larger fighter wouldn't backtrack, the walls comment is in regard to being the aggressor against a boxer who is cowering because he knows his only choice is to stick and move. Once you're in a corner you're done if you don't have enough power. What makes you think a boxer with no grappling skill could keep a grappler from gaining position and maintaining wrist and arm control against someone who has no skills?

This is dumb and you're dumb because I said a boxer could still win with just boxing. It's also dumb because it's impossible to totally separate. Even if I agree not to strike, I'd still certainly cover up against strikes which is not just grappling skills, so I guess if I legitimately didn't use any boxing technique, and therefore wasn't blocking, then yeah I guess striking would win 100% of the time. But fuck you anyway
>>
>>1299292
And you're getting choked out and killed if I have that choke in place. You need to wrestle or do something besides spew bullshit on the internet because it is obvious that you've never had a guy who knows what he's doing on your back, aside from all of your sexual encounters.
>>
>>1304267
This
>>
why do you guys think a boxer would be able to avoid a takedown so easily? they dont train them at all so i dont see why they would be able to do anything about them
>>
Average Boxing > Average Wrestling
Great Boxing < Great Wrestling
>>
>>1304381
You get into striking range before you get into grappling range.
>>
>>1304381
>>1304639
>You get into striking range before you get into grappling range.
And if there isn't a ring, a Boxer can just keep creating distance while the grappler is trying to get in.
Boxers can run away forever. Boxers spend more than half of their time running, or doing fancy running in place (jumping rope).
>>
BOXING VS MMA

KEEP RUNNING CHICKEN BOY FLOYD
>>
>
You must think you can knock out ANYONE. I've been punched hard in the face plenty of times and even when it makes my head spin it doesn't do shit.

Yeah you've probably been punched in the head by fuckers who have sloppy ass technique and don't know how to actually box. I'd love to see you take a clean punch by a professional boxer who actually knows what the fuck he's doing. And oh fucking please, have you ever been punched in the liver? You'd be on the ground thriving like a little bitch in no time.

>It is a game dumbdumb. Even taking away gloves, giving you illegal strikes and kicks, that is still zero grappling skills beyond hugging.

Take away the gloves and you can fracture a motherfuckers face, and beyond hugging? Pay attention to the in-fighting video dumbass, some fighters actually employ wrestling techniques like wrest control with their infighting game.

>Okay yes break my liver when your arms are being restrained.

Ok yeah, restrain my arms while im on the outside and landing 5-6 punches to your meaty ass head in less than a second. The wrist control shit only works if your opponent is trying to wrestle back with you.

> A larger fighter wouldn't backtrack, the walls comment is in regard to being the aggressor against a boxer who is cowering because he knows his only choice is to stick and move. Once you're in a corner you're done if you don't have enough power.

A clear cut example of a dumbass who doesn't know shit about boxing. A good boxer doesn't need to "run" when it comes to footwork, I'm sure when you think of "stick and move" you imagine a Muhammed Ali style fighter moving constantly around the ring and away from an opponent. But a REALLY good boxer doesn't have to do that, he can make you miss and keep the fight in the center of any terrain you choose to brawl in. It doesn't even need to be a power shot, an accurate punch you don't see coming could also do the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE5xhHFzCGE
>>
>>1304267
> It's also dumb because it's impossible to totally separate. Even if I agree not to strike, I'd still certainly cover up against strikes which is not just grappling skills, so I guess if I legitimately didn't use any boxing technique, and therefore wasn't blocking, then yeah I guess striking would win 100% of the time. But fuck you anyway

Yeah you clearly don't know how to fight lol, if you just cover up you're still a target to be hit. There is more to boxing defense than just "covering up" you have to legit be able to parry blows and roll with shots to avoid damage. Just covering up won't do shit. A good boxer can easily find openings around some lazy dumbass shell defense.
>>
>>1304661
>There is more to boxing defense than just "covering up"
I'm not a part of your conversation, but from what I've seen, covering up is what Boxers do the most.
>>
>>1304639
>>1304657
you guys realize that MMA fighters can strike too right? a decent MMA fighter would duck your first punch and grab you or just kick your legs to death
>>
>>1304813
The boxers you see "covering up" the most have shit defense, you're supposed to sink into shits and parry. The only legit boxer that I know of that had an impenetrable shell was Winky Wright.

>>1304814
Yeah sure, duck right into an uppercut. Most MMA fighters have garbage defense, hell even most boxers have garbage defense and they are still better than most MMA fighters when it comes to it.
>>
Gene Lebell vs Milo Savage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mER2BmNRA

Ignore the faggot's voice talking
>>
>>1304814
The guy you're arguing against is going to continue to believe his bullshit and strut around acting like he can take on any MMA fighter because he boxes with some scrubs in the inner city. Let him act cocky and lie to himself. We have seen time and time again what happens to those "martial artists" who refuse to adapt and learn anything. Spoiler alert: they get fucking dominated by the guy who got rid of his reservations and trained with an open mind.
>>
>>1304941
Why would you wear a gi? Lol.
>>
>>1304941
He was a mediocre boxer at best with like 50 losses, do you honestly think of Gene went up against a Roy Jones or a Mike Tyson with NO gi he could pull that off? If your answer is anything but no then you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1304961
A better example would be Muhammed Ali or Sugar Ray Robinson since they were fighting around that time.
>>
>>1304941
Are you a moron or what? I straight up mentioned that a Boxer, a GREAT boxer, you know someone who has actually mastered at least one art form instead of trying to learn half-ass techniques from multiple disciplines without truly understanding how they work. I've seen so many grappling fags in this thread refer to boxing footwork as "running" without truly understand how it works and don't care to beyond just knowing how to throw some sloppy ass punch with shitty technique.
>>
>>1304976
I meant to add a boxer with who's learned takedown techniques and has adapted their boxing style to defend against kicks and such using footwork and checking.
>>
>>1304976
This is so true, if you'd noticed the best MMA fighters are usually the fighters who have mastered at least one style and uses their other disciplines to supplement it.
>>
File: 10UFC126SilvaVs.jpg (65KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
10UFC126SilvaVs.jpg
65KB, 580x386px
>>1304981
But the best, Anderson Silva, is pretty much a freestyle fighter.
>>
>>1305133
He mostly boxes, ironically enough.

He's also not the best, Jon Jones is.
>>
>>1305139
jones a cheater
>>
>>1295483
>take down the guy
>his buddy stomps on your head from behind
>get him into a grapple
>he pulls out a knife and shanks you
>slam him so hard his head bounces off the concrete
>you go to jail for manslaughter
Honestly, boxing is better. Just stay on your feet and keep moving and thirsting out jabs instead of commiting to hard punches.
>>
First I would say that no martial art that you can reasonably practice without severally injuring yourself is going to stand up to an actual fight were the object is to several injury or kill the other guy. You simply aren't going to be training to guard or apply elbows, eye gouges, etc, much less striking/choking to incapacitate.

If you are honestly concerned about street fighting, get a gun like any reasonable human being. If you want to get a hobby, pick up a martial art that interests you. This debate has been going on for so long while its already been solved thousands of years ago with the invention of the spear. Humans are shit at hand-to-hand combat. Everyone here is going to be arguing that their super soaker is the best gun around.

Its purposeless and is ultimately against the spirit of martial arts.
>>
>>1300939
That's great and all until the guy knows you are going to break his neck anyway and you are walking away with at least one less eye.
>>
>>1300844
>No not really, take the pain if it's a bite or just close your eyes and turn your head.
Have you ever been bitten by someone meaning to do real damage?

Have you seen how people react to getting bit in general?

Prove getting bit really hard doesn't do anything.
>>
>>1295511
>He has to set his feet still at some point, to initiate that kick.
This is like watching CMA people discuss grappling.
>>
>>1304954
If you work with the gi, it's an advantage going in. A grip on your own sleeve is much tighter than a grip on your own wrist.
>>
>>1301513
>no weight on it to try and absorb some of the damage.
Ever heard of riding it out? As the ground and friction isn't keeping your leg from moving, the energy of the kick going into your leg is transferred into motion.
>>
they're just sports. I've boxed for on 7 years now, went 18-6 in the AMS as a teen, then joined the Navy and keep it up just as a hobby.

Truthfully, if we're talking about a regular person? Either fighter from either will generally demolish another person.

A boxer vs an MMA fighter? Depends on the power the boxer has, if he's some featherfisted chump then it's GG, if he's holding some power he'll always have a chance. But realistically, whilst I'll always believe boxing is a far harder sport to break into the top level, and the operators there are legit wizards, there's no way to really defend against chokes if they CAN get you on your back.

Verdict - who gives a shit, stroke each others dicks more, 99% of you haven't ever trained or fought in either, so regardless either a boxer or an MMA fighter will both destroy you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1t2yAK_wU

sweet pea for the enjoyment
>>
This thread is full of virgins talking about sex. The whole boxing vs mma vs whatever is ALWAYS going to be about the practitioner, not the practice. Unless that practice is something really ineffectual like TMA. That said, I think boxing is better than any other striking art and it's not close. That doesn't mean every boxer beats every muay thai fighter or mma fighter or whatever, though.
>>
File: Systema.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Systema.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>1305288
>Unless that practice is something really ineffectual like TMA.
It's ALWAYS about the teaching methods, the movements themselves, unless it's something really ineffectual like Systema.
I think cross training is better than any other way of practicing martial arts, and it's not close. that doesn't mean every MMA fighter beats every Boxer or Kickboxer or whatever, though.
>>
Leg kicks trump boxing.
>>
>>1305335

nah
>>
>>1305371

this is what weeaboos on the internet actually believe.
>>
>>1305288
>Unless that practice is something really ineffectual like TMA.
It's ALWAYS about the teaching and training methods, not the movements themselves, unless it's something really ineffectual like Systema.
I think cross training is better than any other way of practicing martial arts, and it's not close. that doesn't mean every MMA fighter beats every Boxer or Kickboxer, Wing Chun fighter, or whatever, though.
>>
File: CroCopKick.jpg (124KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
CroCopKick.jpg
124KB, 640x456px
>>1305381
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQvRj8I_Ws

Sorry cuxer, maybe your bf will rub some ointment on your sore widdwe wegs. :(
>>
>>1305392

You don't train and have never been in a fight. I don't care about some muay thai cuck buffing the balls of one example of one muay thai fighter beating one boxer. Boxers are in better shape, are faster, hit harder, and come from circumstances that necessitate insane mental toughness. Keep crying bitch nigga
>>
>>1304660
I think you're forgetting you won't have gloves on. So hit my head as hard as you want buddy. And I think you're also forgetting that pain isn't always effective. Not on drugs and not when you're in the zone. Plenty of matches in mma and boxing continue past when it really should have been stopped because a fighter is tough enough to fight until he's dead. So punch my ribs all you want, while I'm picking you up and dropping you on your head.

Honestly I wouldn't want to test my skills against a top level boxer. But you still can't twist someone's head off with a punch. If you can do that I'll admit grappling is useless
>>
>>1305381
>>1305392
6:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_rlUgiP4ik
>>
>>1305396
>You don't train and have never been in a fight.
[citation needed]
>Boxers are in better shape
[citation needed]
>are faster
That's why they can dodge leg kicks so easily.
>hit harder
Doesn't matter when they're too busy dodging leg kicks or getting ragdolled in the clinch.
>and come from circumstances that necessitate insane mental toughness.
I wouldn't say poor Thai kids who fight from the age of five live in "easy" circumstances - they don't get EBT and get executed or life imprisonment fo slangin' dope.
>>
>>1305400
>And I think you're also forgetting that pain isn't always effective. Not on drugs and not when you're in the zone. Plenty of matches in mma and boxing continue past when it really should have been stopped because a fighter is tough enough to fight until he's dead. So punch my ribs all you want
Most people, even fighters, aren't those super macho tough guys.
Even conditioned Kyokushin Karate practitioners go down with some strong precision strikes. No matter how strong your neck muscles are, you'd have to have a freak neck to not at least get a little dazed by a strong punch with good technique to the jaw.
>>
>>1305402

You want to have some academic discussion about leg kicks when the reality of a fight is speed, aggression and violence of action matter more. Boxers have that. I work as a bouncer and every force incident I've been involved in (somewhere around 10 or 15 serious ones? maybe?) I've had to rely on boxing or grappling. it would be fucking stupid to throw a kick. Loosen your naruto headband a little bit, faggot.
>>
>>1305413
>the reality of a fight is speed, aggression and violence of action matter more
It all really comes down to when to be aggressive, and when not to be aggressive.

Being aggressive alone is just plain stupid.
>>
File: 173382-Idiot-Sandwich.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
173382-Idiot-Sandwich.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>1305413
>I work as a bouncer and every force incident I've been involved in (somewhere around 10 or 15 serious ones? maybe?) I've had to rely on boxing or grappling. it would be fucking stupid to throw a kick. Loosen your naruto headband a little bit, faggot.
Your b8 is too obvious.. You done fucked up.
Are you some newfag underaged faggot?
How can you possibly have browsed and posed on 4chan for more than 1 single week while having such shit b8?
>>
>>1305413
>You want to have some academic discussion about leg kicks when the reality of a fight is speed, aggression and violence of action matter more.
A cuxer that neglects reach (legs are longer and more powerful than arms).
>Storytime.avi
Neat, will save and read to my children.

A semi-decent Muay Thai fighter would break your legs. Fighters need to get over their "my style is superior in every way because I do it" mentality and learn as much as they can of all useful styles.
>>
>>1305415

Yeah, no. You can think that if you want but if YOU ACTUALLY FIGHT there is adrenaline and stress hormones involved. Unless you are such an cool operator and have been in shitloads of fights or are a seasoned professional fighter.
>>
>>1305413
>I work as a bouncer and every force incident I've been involved in (somewhere around 10 or 15 serious ones? maybe?) I've had to rely on boxing or grappling. it would be fucking stupid to throw a kick. Loosen your naruto headband a little bit, faggot.
Your b8 is too obvious.. You done fucked up.
Are you some newfag underaged faggot?
How can you possibly have browsed and posed on 4chan for more than 1 single week and have such shit b8?
>>
>>1305421

Keep thinking that, autismo. Chubby white anime watching mmafags neglect boxing and understanding of boxing at their own peril
>>
>>1305425
>Unless you are such an cool operator and have been in shitloads of fights or are a seasoned professional fighter.
Yeah, no. You literally just have to not be some stupid and impulsive cuck with no self control.
>>
>>1305428
It's past your bed time, kiddo.
>>
>>1305429

You've never been in a fight if you think that. Stress hormones aren't something you control. They are released into you when shit is stepping off, you fucking idiot. The only thing you CAN control with time and experience is how outwardly visible the effects of adrenaline are to others. That's why guys who appear calm in a fight are scary and for good reason. The yare very experienced with adrenaline
>>
>>1305430

dont forget to DVR naruto, faggot
>>
>>1305433
>You've never been in a fight if you think that.
You've never been in a fight if you think that. Stress is all psychological, you fucking idiot. The only thing you CAN'T control is holding your breath until you die. You're just a fucking idiot that doesn't know shit about anything.
>>
>>1305435
I was watching Naruto with Japanese subs while everyone was still light-years behind and waiting for new English dub episodes on TV.
>>
>>1305438

No it isnt you fucking retard. YOU DO NOT CONTROL THE DROP OF ADRENALINE. You really should look into that, you are embarrassing yourself. You cannot will your adrenaline not to drop. It's not controlled by the rational, thinking part of your brain you fucktard. Holy shit, you fucking dumbass. Don't even take my word for it, go research on your own and feel stupid.
>>
>>1305441
Yes it is you fucking retard. YOU DO CONTROL HOW YOU INTERPRET YOUR SITUATION. You really should look into that, you are embarrassing yourself. Your adrenaline will only drop when you perceive you are in great danger you fucktard. Holy shit, you fucking dumbass. Don't even take my word for it, go research on your own and feel stupid.
>>
>>1305445

>Your adrenaline will only drop when you perceive you are in great danger you fucktard.

Right, dumbass. So when you are in a fight, you are in "great danger." You just proved my point, ass lick
>>
>>1305448
No, dumbass. So when you are in a fight you're just in a fight, you don't perceive you're in danger. How you perceive it is based on whether or not you're a huge pussy. You can't even understand my point, lick ass, stupid.
>>
>>1305454

Hahahahahahahahaha jesus CHRIST. Confirmed for never left the basement. What kind of autistic fuck thinks people transcend the EVOLUTIONARY ADAPTATION OF ADRENALINE. You know it serves to protect you, right? hahahaahahahahahaa hoooooooly fuck leave the basement and train for once in you life
>>
>>1305458
Hahahahahahahahaha jesus CHRIST. Confirmed for never went to school. What kind of autistic fuck thinks the EVOLUTIONARY ADAPTATION OF ADRENALINE has nothing to do with perception. You know it's a response, right? hahahaahahahahahaa hoooooooly fuck go and learn something for once in your life.
>>
>>1305463

It comes from the hindbrain, fuckwad. Read a book. And go train because it's obvious you never have if you're this fucking deluded. hahahahahaha
>>
>>1305463

Why dont all pro fighters just pretend they aren't in danger? You are an idiot.
>>
>>1305464
>It comes from the hindbrain
Does nothing to prove your point.

Read a book. It's obvious you failed middle school if you're this fucking deluded. hahahahahaha
>>
>>1305467
>implying they're in danger
You are an idiot.
>>
>>1305472

Ok virgin, you got me there. MMA fighters and boxers aren't in any danger...
>>
>>1305475
Ok virgin, you got me there. MMA fighters and boxers are all going to die or become paralyzed for the rest of their lives because they're going to take one punch.
>>
>>1295487
>punching vs striking+grappling

FTFY
>>
>>1305478

That's not what im saying, but that DOES happen you know. Do you even watch combat sports? I know you dont train, but have you ever even watched them? faggot
>>
>>1295508
I've taken people down on concrete, trust me, it's pretty easy not to hurt yourself.

Yes you could hurt yourself if you treated it like a mat, but seriously, it's not hard to adjust for surface. I WILL pick you up and I WILL slam you down right on your skull, without landing on my knees or elbows or head.
>>
>>1305483
Why is defense always so underrated with fighting?
Boxing isn't just punching, it's also head movement, footwork, blocking and parrying, all to be used for just punching.
>>
>>1305486

le this
>>
>>1305484
>implying I was saying people never get adrenaline dumps
I wasn't saying people never get adrenaline dumps. Not being a pussy DOES happen, you know. Do you even listen to audiobooks? I know you don't study, but have you ever thought about anything in your life? faggot
>>
>>1305485
>I've taken people down on concrete, trust me, it's pretty easy not to hurt yourself.
A takedown is where you go down with the person. If you don't go down with the person, it's a throw.
>>
>>1295599
>A isn't just punching, this shows just how little MMA guys know about boxing. It's punching, footwork, distance deception, angles, etc...

No, it's punching, and footwork FOR PUNCHING, and distance FOR PUNCHING, and deception FOR PUNCHING, and angles FOR PUNCHING.

That's why we call it "punching."

Seriously, if anything Judo is the best specialized martial art for street fighting. Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, Muay Thai, and BJJ are all more applicable in street fighting.

But that doesn't mean a tough guy can't learn to box and wreck people in street fights. That speaks more to the prevalence of boxing gyms in America than anything. Boxing and wrestling were pretty much the only martial arts in America for centuries, and that period only ended two generations ago, of course there's lots of statistics about boxers and wrestlers beating up would-be muggers.

If you go to Korea, there's statistics like that about Tae Kwon Do and Sinanju.
>>
>>1305495

No there isn't. TKD is choreographed dancing.
>>
>>1305489

You are 15 years old tops. I read all the time. But the difference is you're a virgin reading about sex. Or more likely: a virgin pretending to read about sex on the internet.
>>
>>1296314
Even if true, so what? You beat a guy who sucked.

There are also shitty boxers that a trained MMA guy could ragdoll. You happened to be a trained boxer against a shitty MMA guy.
>>
>>1298594
Bad example, he never took MMA seriously. He didn't respect wrestling or submissions, he totally thought "Oh, I'll just get out, I just won't let him take me down."

It's a real shame, because he could have made it a much more interesting fight if he hadn't treated it like it was a joke.
>>
>>1299018
If your head hits the floor because somebody knocked you the fuck out with a punch, literally how does that not count? I'm not even a boxing guy, but come the fuck on! Talk about nitpicking.
>>
>>1305497
just admit you got wrekdt
>>
>>1299292
I would switch to a neck crank and break your neck. Rear naked chokes are what you do when you want to kill somebody in a nice, respectful way.

If you come anywhere near my eyes, trust me you will regret it.
>>
>>1305498
You are 13 years old tops. I train all the time. But the difference is you're a virgin masturbating and pretending you're practicing for sex. Or more likely: a virgin fantasizing about masturbating to practice for sex.
>>
>>1299301
It takes less than a second, I've time myself. And I'm not the fastest guy. You're out of your mind.

The same way that a boxer's jab is faster than a person with no training, a grappler's arms are really fast at snaking around your neck. Repetition breeds efficiency.
>>
>>1305505
>I would switch to a neck crank and break your neck.
Sure you would. You definitely wouldn't start freaking out and trying to pull your arm away while pushing the guy away from you. It's a natural response, you won't be thinking clearly because of the adrenaline dump, your hindbrain will think you're in danger.
>>
>>1299311
Hey, playing piano takes a lot of skill, that doesn't mean piano players win street fights.

It doesn't matter how much skill you have it matters if you can bring it to bear in a way that injures your opponent while protecting yourself.

The most skilled guy doesn't even always win in boxing. How much more so for a street fight?
>>
>>1295511

this literal who nigger talking about just moving his feet so he doesn't get kicked....
>>
>>1301524
>No one is stopping a pure boxer from going in to MMA and cleaning up.

LOL, no boxer wants to take an 80% pay cut.
>>
>>1305510
>Hey, playing piano takes a lot of skill, that doesn't mean piano players win street fights.
Their fine motor skills does help them in street games that require fine motor skills.
>>
>>1302946
Yes, and SIMILARLY, there are styles and gameplans within MMA, that some fighters can execute better than others, that is very effective against that kind of boxing style.
>>
>>1303375
This is just the point, though! You used boxing effectively because boxing is what you're good at, it's what you can do without thinking, it's what you can do at speed.

If you learned MMA, then you'd feel that way about MMA, not about boxing. You wouldn't think that it takes so much time and complicated effort and choreography to sink in a rear naked choke, because when you know how to do it, it DOESN'T. I swear, I can put somebody completely untrained in a fully-locked in standing rear naked choke faster than I can throw a 1-2. Because as a pure Jiu-Jitsu guy, that's what I practice more.

The best martial art is the one you're the best at, it doesn't really matter, up to a certain point, what that is.

Most people who start fights in the street, in my experience and from everything I've ever heard, are usually untrained. Most martial artists are polite people who are conscious about learning a martial art for self-defense because they were bullied or they don't want to be bullied, and they're not the type of people to start fights with strangers in the street.

The type of person who starts fights with strangers on the street is not likely to stick around long enough at any kind of dojo or gym to learn much from anybody else. They're not even usually the types to walk in in the first place.

For streetfighting, what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to be a blackbelt. Or even a brownbelt. Or really even purple. If you know boxing, then box. If you know wrestling, wrestle. If you know Jiu-Jitsu, Jiu-Jitz.
>>
>>1303449
None of that would apply, my head would be below your knees.
>>
>>1303532
Yeah, and one good front kick to the jaw does that to the boxer who thinks he's coming in to land a punch.

This is not an argument.
>>
>>1303375
>Real street fights don't last more than 5 to 10 seconds.

lol confirmed for never being in one
>>
>>1303860
I'd probably go for a low-single, bro. You wouldn't have anything to punch and I would be very eager to capitalize on you trying to kick or stomp me.

I think the main difference in this whole thread is that everybody knows what the boxer is going to do, but the boxing people don't really quite understand what the MMA people are really going to do.

>I can rip six good punches to your jaw in the time it takes you to . . . you know . . . that thing those guys do, I don't know what you call it, it's like . . . no, I can't really describe it but they like, they come in and try to grab your waist or something, right? Well I would just hit 'em in the kidneys, like WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! You know?
>>
>>1304381
If a boxer knew beforehand that someone was going to try and take them down, they might be able to dart away effectively, but we're talking a street fight here, so that just wouldn't apply.

In a streetfight, I think we all know the boxer isn't thinking about avoiding the takedown, he's thinking about boxing. That's the whole advantage to MMA, the MMA guy is EXPECTING punches, he's READY to deal with boxing.

The boxer is not ready to deal with kicks and takedowns and grappling. He isn't even thinking in those terms until it's already happened, and then it's too late.

Boxing is a part of MMA, MMA is not a part of boxing.
>>
>>1304381
because they're fucking retards

a boxer never sprawls once during a career of training

find me videos of mike tyson sprawling, or mayweather, or pacquiao
>>
>>1304660
You are literally talking about Roy Jones, Prince Naseem, and like a handful of other humans alive on the planet.

We're talking about a streetfight.

You're basically arguing, "Prince Naseem could fucking annihilate a really shitty, fat MMA guy in a street fight."

NO SHIT.

Guess what would happen in a streetfight between a shitty, fat boxer and Randy Couture?

We're talking about a streetfight, we're talking about styles, we're assuming parity of skill here.
Only the boxing people are trying to argue what would happen between the best boxers and the worst MMA fighters as if that's the fucking question.

There's basically a lot of boxers here thinking about what they would do to Tank Abbot. It's a joke. Tell me what you'd do against Yair Rodriguez, motherfucker.
>>
>>1305139
Jones is the best in the world at fighting guys with a 10'' reach disadvantage.

The one fight he has ever had with someone that was his size, he looked a LOT different, and that guy, Gustaffson, isn't even the best guy in that division, he's just the only one who can actually reach Jones to fucking hit him.
>>
>>1305213
I can tell you've never tried to gouge out the eye of a guy who's behind you before.

It's a lot harder than just managing to get your thumb in the right spot, even considering the guy is going to be whipping his head around and he can see your hands while you can't see his eyes.

It also takes a great deal of pressure to pop out the eyeball, most people, even young men, do not have enough strength in their hands to do it even under the best conditions.

And trying to do it on a guy who's head is moving, who you can't see, and who is strangling you to death, these are not the best of conditions.
>>
>>1305220
I have been bitten on the hamstring by a guy while I was armbarring him, and it hurt so much that I jumped, and that's what dislocated his elbow, which caused him to release the bite so he could scream.

I know he thought it was going to get ME to scream and release the armbar, but it actually caused me to stop fucking around and brek his arm.

I think a lot of you boxing guys don't understand that in the UFC, guys are professionals, and they give their opponent a chance to tap out, but if you have no intention of being gentle like that, then submissions look a lot different.

Submissions are slowed down for competition. I think that's why you guys think grappling is "slow."

It usually is, but it doesn't have to be.
>>
>>1305490
And? Like I said, I've taken people down on concrete without hurting myself before.

As long as you know how hard the surface is, you can control how hard you land, you can pick and choose your spots, and you don't spear somebody in the gut and piledrive our head into the concrete just because it is the first takedown available.

Everybody is basically turning this debate into, "What would a really good guy from my discipline do to a really shit guy from yours."
>>
>>1305509
So in this fantasy of yours, I'm a white belt?

Kinky.
>>
>>1305400
It's more than clear that you don't train and have never sparred in your entire life, your post is massively embarrassing. Please stop roleplaying, for your own sake.
>>
>>1305485
Yeah to pick me up you'd have to get past the flurry of punches being thrown at your dome, ask Ronda Rousey how well trying to pick up a seasoned boxer worked.
>>
>>1305495
And? Bruce Lee employed boxing fucking HEAVILY when developing his Jeet Kune Do style, it was unarguably THE most important style when it came to supplementing the rest of the techniques he used.

This is why he said "the speed of footwork exceeds the speed of a kick or punch".

And are you a dumbass or what? Muay Thai is terrible for a street fight, unless your opponent is willing to stand in the middle of the street while you kick their legs out then it's stupid, not to mention it's dumb as hell to attempt to throw a kick in a street fight. But elbows and knees are useful for close range, BJJ in a street fight? Don't make me fucking laugh, now I know you're smoking some good shit, wrestling? unless you're in grass then takedowns is a fucking no no, same with Sambo since it's basically the same shit, Judo? Eh I'll give you that one, Judo has actually proven to be effective in a street fight. Judo + Boxing is THE most effective style you can adapt to a street fight. Most people are going to try to take your head off with a punch in the streets, not a kick.
>>
>>1305522
Are you retarded or what? Pretty much every boxer knows you're going to try to go for a takedown and try to submit because you know you'd got knocked the fuck out on the feet, plain and simple.
>>
>>1305533
Because most MMA fighters are shitty, fat, and unskilled. Most of the guys at the top have already mastered at least one style. Like Junio Dos Anjos is a boxer with takedown defense and grappling skills and he uses them to stay on the feet most of the time, same with Holly Holm.

And really that's only a handful, even some of the other top guys are just jack-of-all-trades. The talent pool just isn't as deep as it is in boxing.
>>
>>1295610
>Comparing an out of shape Randy couture to Jon Jones

Get real.
>>
>>1305485
>I WILL pick you up and I WILL slam you down right on your skull, without landing on my knees or elbows or head

>>1305490
>A takedown is hwere you go down with the person. If you don't go down with the person, it's a throw.
>>1305553
>And? Like I said, I've taken people down on concrete without hurting myself before

>>1305553
>you can control how hard you land

>>1305553
>I can break your neck by using a takedown to spike your head to the ground
>I'm not actually going to take you down that hard because It's stupid to do that on concrete because it's not a throw
>>
>>1302935
Holly Holm recently developed a fetish for being choked if I recall correctly
>>
>>1305486
Because that comparison is even more unfavorable to boxing. The head movement, footwork, blocking and parrying are all predecated on only having to deal with the limited attacked options of boxing. They have limited utility outside that, and can be actively harmful sometimes.
>>
>>1306368
>The head movement, footwork, blocking and parrying are all predecated on only having to deal with the limited attacked options of boxing. They have limited utility outside that, and can be actively harmful sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt1IIJMpcgI
>>
>>1306498
Wow, we're really on CMA debating tactics where we take a Mixed Martial Artist and say "Yeah, he's totally doing the same thing."
>>
>>1303375
t.chilean
>>
>>1306534
Not only is he doing the same thing, but he isn't even doing it properly.
>>
>>1295483
MMA is just boxing plus a whole bunch of other shit. This is a stupid question.

Of course the individual and his training methods are far more important than style in most cases. If you work hard and understand the mechanics of all your punches and you have really good footwork and can keep distance, slip punches, etc., you can fight. If you can't do that, you can't fight. It doesn't matter what techniques you learn or what style.
>>
>>1306498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVD85VfZTs
>>
>>1306698
aaaaand your point is?
>>
>>1306713
>franklin tries to box while silva kicks him and makes the boxing ineffective
>franklin slips thinking silva is going to cross him but silva does dirty boxing and franklin bobs and weaves, getting himself into his stance right before silva starts attacking
>because he bobbed and weaved he's unprepared
>franklin throws a 1 as part of a 1-2 silva blocks and then gets franklin's head
>franklin throws the 2 and silva gets the other hand in
>it's not a boxing match anymore
>it's not a kickboxing match anymore
>it's a muay thai clinch and silva knows his Muay Thai
>It's a muay thai fight because franklin tried to box in a MMA fight
>franklin loses to silva
>>
>>1306318
>Comparing Half-Assed boxing to superb muay thai technique

are you finished or are you done?
>>
>>1306738
Whoops, wrong reply

meant to reply to >>1306730
>>
>>1299021
>rear naked choke
>forearm in your face

Want to know how we know that you don't know what a choke is?
>>
>>1304660
Boxers hit harder with gloves on
>>
>>1306825
It's a psychological thing. When they're bare knuckled or have lighter gloves on, subconsciously and sometimes even consciously they're thinking "Oh shit, I could break my hand with one wrong move. Even if I don't mess up but just hit too hard, I'm going to break my hands."
So their bodies automatically make them hit soften when they don't feel the comfortable and familiar feeling of wraps and heavy ass gloves.
>>
>>1305396
>poor kids from the inner city are mentally tough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDA7ycz7gJE
>>
>>1305441
You've never done drugs, have you?
>>
>>1295483
>in a street fight,
This is what street fighters are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BlfkGxdZ78
>>
are people arguing about adrenaline dumps here?

they are fictional, there is no such thing. The effects of adrenaline take several minutes to take hold and can last for hours afterwards. There isn't any "dump" that fucks up your ability to do things and makes you spaz out
>>
>>1295483
Anyone who says boxing is a delusional retard.
How will boxing help you if you get tackled down or get in a clinch? You literally have 0 defence from being taken to the ground.
Mma might not get your punches as good as boxing but it will definetly be enough to fuck the average person up. Not to mention you learn to fight in every range.
>>
>>1306955
Fighting on the ground in a street fight is fucking stupid, all fights start standing up, not on the ground. And a guy is more than likely to launch a sloppy ass haymaker vs shooting for a takedown immediately. So knocking someone out and incapacitating them vs going to the ground where the fucker can pull out and or pick up a weapon like idk a KNIFE, is the best course of action.

Boxing is shown to be more effective in a street fight vs MMA.
>>
>>1306960
So many things wrong with this.
>fighting on the ground in a street fight is fucking stupid
Whether you braindead boxers believe its stupid or not doesnt matter, it can happen and you need to learn how to grapple.
>hurr durr he'll just throw a shitty punch and ill knock him out
Fighting isnt that simple you idiot. You cant just learn how to defend against 1 unlikely scenario. Thats why you need to be a well rounded fighter instead of you egoistical retards claiming "muh sweet science" "boxing is all you need"
>>
>>1306969
Yeah I'm sure the chances of him being Bruce Lee incarnated is fucking through the rough, yes fighting is that simple granted you are a skilled fighter who knows what the fuck he's doing, vs some moron who doesn't even know how to throw a proper punch.
>>
>>1306977
I love how you people do these mental gymnastics where you imagine your opponents being slow and weak.
A person 30 pounds heavier than you could end up tackling you down in a street fight easily. Where will your sweet science go then?
>>
>>1306955
I like how people are starting to use this posting style more and using the world "delusional" more now.
It really shows how our culture and community has grown.
>>
>>1306985
Yeah I forgot how boxing involves me staying in one place waiting to be tackled, my bad. It has nothing to do with being slow and weak vs them being unskilled. And I love how you just assume I have no wrestling background whatsoever and would be helpless if such a situation were to occur.
>>
>>1306960
>Boxing is shown to be more effective in a street fight vs MMA.
That's a very large misinterpretation of data.

Boxing is just more popular than MMA.

When you take the percentage of successful usage of Boxing in a street fight and compare that with the percentage of successful usage of MMA in a street fight, you get a much more different story.
>>
>>1306989
Yeah cause an average person will just stand there right where you want him so you two can have a little boxing match, right?
>And I love how you just assume i have no wrestling background whatsoever
Then you are not a pure boxer
>>
>>1306994
I'm sure the average person can keep up with a well trained boxer in terms of footwork as well, my god are you fucking clueless.
>>
>>1306977
In America, Wrestling is a very common sport. Wrestling is taught in many elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools all over the United States of America.
Even though Boxing is a popular sport, it's not taught nearly as commonly as Wrestling.
Boxing people so popular, common people may pick up a few things about boxing, at least some street boxing lessons.
Statistically speaking, it's very likely some hoodlum will know some shitty boxing along with having taken formal wrestling lessons. I'm not saying that all hoodlum street fighters know how to wrestle, but a good percentage of them will have wrestling experience, even if they're the minority.
Getting grappled in a street fight is just a real threat, along with getting grappled by someone who's done wrestling in school.
>>
>>1306998
>muh footwork
God, you sound like my old boxing coach.
And yes they can. If someone is pissed and somewhat bigger than you they can easily get into a clinch and tackle you down. Thats assuming you're not in any tight spot in which case you are more fucked.
>>
>>1307002
>God, you sound like my old boxing coach.

Ah no wonder you're so overzealous, you were one of those fighters who liked to stand in one spot and trade, had to learn footwork, said "fuck that it's too hard and tires me out" and quit.

You do know it's harder to grab something smaller than you than if it was bigger than you, right? I've seen so many smaller guys beat the fuck out of big dudes who simply try to do some retarded football tackle.
>>
>>1307008
Actually no i wasnt lmao. I was always a smaller guy myself and trading shots is the last thing id do.
Its also not hard to grab anyone at all. But no muh sweet science is so powerful they can footwork out of anything.
>>1307000
This.
Not to mention football(which is even more popular) or just the average meathead.
>>
>>1297805
You don't really have an argument with Holm beating Rousey. Holm's boxing is tailored specifically for MMA. What a lot of boxing guys don't realize when they talk about MMA fighters who primarily box in their bouts, is that their boxing isn't "pure boxing". It's like how MMA fighters who are primarily wrestlers or BJJ guys don't implement those disciplines in their pure form because there are variables you have to consider in an MMA fight that aren't there in wrestling and BJJ matches.
>>
>>1306960
Oh is there a law in the code of the streets that whenever you're on the ground, you are allowed to use your knife but not before then? Boxing won't help you from getting stabbed, retard. Way to stretch those goal posts.
>>
>>1307972
Think logically you fucking idiot, supposed he's trying to pretend like he's unarmed and wants a fair fight, then as soon as you get close, whether it be trying to grab him or tackle him, he wedges a knife between your fucking ribcage?
>>
>>1295483
You guys don't understand how a street fight works. I just see people comparing the weaknesses vs the strengths of each other.

Street fights are extremely messy and quick. Almost all of them end with 1 punch or 1 slam. Not only that but in a street fight you're very likely to be fighting someone not your size. Not only that but a lot of people sucker punch in a street fight or it'll be 1 (you) vs 1+.

With all of that said I honestly believe "Dirty Boxing" is much better than MMA for a street fight. And I'll try to explain why.

1.) Grappling against someone larger will expend energy quickly, you won't be able to slam them, and if they're stronger than you, you don't wanna have their hands on you. Also being outnumbered and grappling is a good way of getting your head kicked in.

2.) Kicking is a invaluable tool in the ring but lets be real here we aren't trained fighters and the likely hood of any regular Joe being able to land a clean head kick on someone potentially taller than us is slim to none. Also kicking requires you to stay still and staying stationary will get you KTFO in a street fight.

3.) Weapons, anyone who's starting a fight had to be treated as an armed and dangerous opponent or else why the fuck would they randomly be trying to start fights with people. You try to clinch with him or get close you may just end up setting yourself up for being stabbed. Granted if the dude has any kind of weapon you're better off just running away.

Anyways in a street fight you wanna strike first and as hard as you can. If that's not possible you wanna maintain distance, keep moving and remember to maintain balance. All this can be done with a simple Jab while circling to the left or right (depending if you're southpaw or orthodox.)
>>
>>1307000
Agreed but the same can be said for the person he's fighting, if we all know how to do a single take down doesn't that mean we all know how to defend against that take down?
Thread posts: 239
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.