[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jiu Jitsu bad habits and go tos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Starting jiu-jitsu next week. Was a pretty good wrestler in high school and know some submissions. I remember I made lots of mistakes with my wrestling technique when I started, and these eventually turned into bad habits.
>things you wish you knew when you started
>Equipment recommendations
>Favourite move
Ive realized how much I need to work on grip, by just watching and rolling with friends.
Gonna get a Fuji gi, bang for buck kinda guy
I think the kimura might be my favourite thing, but I will see how I develop
>>
>>1276741
I'm planning on cross training in BJJ next year, but I might be able to give some advice and discussion.

>i want the old /asp/ back
>>
>>1279052
that's nice but tell us what you think of RVD?
>>
I started jiujitsu at the end of february, been at it for about 2 and a half months
just got my first stripe tonight. How am I doing famiglia?
>>
>>1279267
That sounds like a good pace, have you started to notice the benefits of rolling?
>>
>>1279297
I don't actually feel a progression because I practice with the same people who obviously hold back on me a bit and they very well could just be holding less back every time. but Its not like I can tell the difference, they still smash me.

now, the flip side of this is a kid I started the same day as took a month off because of athletes foot. Now we were pretty evenly matched up until that point, tonight he came back and I FUCKED him up. 5 minute match, got 5 or 6 taps out of him
>>
>>1279403
So it's pretty obvious that you are getting better, that's good to hear. Just keep training hard and in a few years you will look back and really see a difference.
>>
File: explodingknees.png (365KB, 384x800px) Image search: [Google]
explodingknees.png
365KB, 384x800px
Anyone here half-decent?

Currently developing:

Imanari Roll (and other entries into the saddle leg lock series) and Victor Roll (dive roll kneebar)
Butterfly Guard + Butterfly Hook Half Guard + X-Guard+Single X
Arm Drag and Guillotine
Lapel Guard

Want to develop in near future:
More wristlocks
Rolling Back Attacks
Foot Sweeps
Flying Leg Scissors

I'm having a lot of success with the butterfly and leg lock game. Need to improve my guillotines and arm drags from butterfly (decent at standing arm drags though).

Lapel guard is working for gi, but not nearly as developed yet. Will probably eventually try to add some worm guard shit.

Also want to add the wrist lock game. Seems to need a lot of drilling. My coach is really go at constantly threatening them when you are grip fighting, I'm getting a bit better at it, but I need to come up with some good drills.

Remember, wrists and/or feet are usually the closest thing you can attack.
>>
>>1279505
My only input is that when you go for a wrist lock, it's best to grab the meaty part that connects the thumb to the rest of the hand. It makes it easier to brace the back of their hand so you can apply to lock securely.
>>
>>1279528
Sure, but there are a lot other wrist locks that are nothing like that. There are a surprisingly large number with varying set ups.

I'm mostly focusing on them from the bottom or standing. I'm already decent enough at them on top.
>>
>>1276741
Just do Goju Karate because of the combination of striking and grappling. You'll just develop a bunch of bad habits for when you eventually decide to practice the superior hand to hand combat art, MMA.

MMA is best

everything else sucks

fuck everybody
>>
>>1279814
>MMA
>ever being superior to goju for hand to hand combat
maybe it's better if you want to put on a show without actually hurting the other guy
>>
>>1276741
Are you going Gi or No-Gi?
>>
>>1280846
Most people do both brah.
>>
>>1276741
Where did the 3rd belt come from?
>>
So what's the difference between BJJ and Luta Livre?
>>
>>1276741
Originally wanted to join MMA gym and they lied to me saying they are no longer affiliated with blah blah blah so went to BJJ class instead. Take MMA instead cause you will learn real Jiu Jitsu and not this Kosen Judo which is what BJJ has become. No reaping and heel hooks. Probably the best way to take out a Heavy weight when they are so much bigger than you but they don't allow that.
>>
>>1285033
>Take MMA instead cause you will learn real Jiu Jitsu and not this Kosen Judo which is what BJJ has become.

Get the fuck out of here. Have you even gone to a proper BJJ class? I bet you've only gone to BJJ mcdojos.

Come back when you've got some proper mat experience.
>>
>>1285038
I can sort of see where he's coming from. There are a lot of BJJ places that are becoming more focused on the sport aspects nowadays and teaching based on competition rules.
>>
>>1285542
>BJJ is the Taekwondo of grappling
>>
>>1285546
Judo still holds that title for now.
>>
>>1285911
Judo isn't bad
>>
>>1285932
It's literally being crippled by rule changes. A lot of its most effective throws aren't taught anymore, almost no one does its striking, and everyone just spams ippon throws because that's what wins in tournaments.
>>
File: dats.jpg (141KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
dats.jpg
141KB, 1500x1500px
>>1283490
BJJ places a big focus on the gi, fighting defensively and attaining position. Luta Livre is no-gi, and as far as I know they favour(ed) a more aggressive, submission-hunting style. They also rely more on sneaky, unorthodox stuff, a bit like catch wrestling.

I'd love to have seen Luta Livre adapt itself to MMA.
>>
>>1286353
So basically 10thPJJ but with more of an emphasis on aggression?
>>
File: hespeck.jpg (121KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hespeck.jpg
121KB, 1920x1080px
>>1286391
A little bit, yeah.
I'm wary of bjjee.com for all their clickbait, but this is a fairly interesting article: http://www.bjjee.com/articles/the-10-principles-of-grappling-by-luta-livre-master-roberto-leitao/
He talks a lot about meeting force and applying force, and about being sneaky and aggressive and always being active and unpredictable. Whereas in BJJ you'd be hearing all about how important it is to go slowly and consolidate your position and never force anything and so on.

There's also a great series on Youtube somewhere called Luta Livre Spirit, where they chat to a bunch of old masters (maestres?) of the art. Worth watching.
>>
>>1286410
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>1276741
>things you wish you knew when you started
Do streching and yoga
Buy kneepads
Tap early
Get and update after every training a bjj journal.
Learn how to tape every part of your body
Do some other arts (boxing, muay thai, mma) at least the basics in another contact sports
Train MMA a year at least.
>Equipment recommendations
Buy kneepads, mouthguard and a "helmet". sinc you're a wreslter, you got most of them.
>Favourite move
None, roll with the flow.
>>
>>1285947
You know i can tell you dont train
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.