[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Academic Fencing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Gehacktes.jpg (21KB, 236x322px) Image search: [Google]
Gehacktes.jpg
21KB, 236x322px
>I practice Academic Fencing, ask me anything

Short summary of the sport: Fencing among students, mostly in Germany and Austria, with sharp blades. It's still done today.
>pic obv related
>>
>>1240999
Doesn't look very academic my dude
>>
>>1241012
Well, it's called that because
a) It's practiced by University Students
b) To differentiate it from Olympic Fencing (Sports Fencing)

Olympic (Sports) Fencing is with moving, while in the Academic version you stand still (basically you can just move your arm).
Also, in OlyFencing there's a winner and a loser and this concept doesn't apply to Academic Fencing. You fence "with" someone, not "against"; the point is more to prove your valor/morale
>>
>>1240999
Why do you call it fencing? Schlagen is much more appropriate since you don't do anything fencing related.
>>
>>1241020
Because it's been called that since always...

But you're right, the weapon used nowadays is called "Schläger" and you can't stab the opponent with it.
On the other hand, "schlagen" is the same word you use for beating with your fists and the movements/techniques are developed from the original (dueling) fencing and have very much to do with fencing.
>>
>>1241028
Son, I now all that, an nobody calls it Academic Fencing in German, its just called Schlagen. Like in Schlagende Verbindung.
Also, it is not really a sport, most guys can't fence for shit, neither oly nor historic. So it is more a test ouf courage for insecure anons.
>>
>>1241034
I know it's called "schlagende Verbindung", I'm in one.
However, I have never heard anybody refer to it as "Schlagen" and we very much say "Akademisches Fechten".

Where do you have your infos from?

Also, no, this kind of fencing doesn't translate to olympic fencing. I tried sabre-fencing a few times and it's a whole other pair of shoes.
>>
>>1241042
>Also, no, this kind of fencing doesn't translate to olympic fencing. I tried sabre-fencing a few times and it's a whole other pair of shoes.
It doesn't translate to any kind of fencing, because it has nothing to do with real fencing.
>>
>>1241046
>real fencing
>implying

the olympic kind with their electronic wands is a lot more ridiculous
>>
>>1241051
Well military sabre fencing is pretty serious, so is longsword fencing and a lot of othe classic or historic fencing.
And even some olympic car antenna electric tag fencer will have far more skills than you folks.
Standing in a fixed mensur and hitting at each others with semi sharp blades till one bleeds isn't exactly a smart idea.
>>
>>1241055
>more skills
Are you really talking about usefulness in an actual sword-fight? That's totally not the point and pretty much as stupid as the people at /fit/ talking about "functional strength".
If you're practicing another sport you're better at that and comparatively worse at the other one
>>
Do you still scar eacother, OP?
>>
>>1241104
The blades are sharp and you have no helmet. So it can happen.

However, you usually try not to get hit, as opposed to earlier times when it was cool to have such a scar. (Once you start looking for it, a surprising amount of german men from the time around 1870-1930 had them)
>>
>>1240999
How sharp is sharp?

Paper slicing? Hair shaving? Does it just come to an edge? I've always wondered if a sharp sword is as sharp as a knife or if it's a different concept of sharp
>>
>>1241122
That's a good question.
All I know is that we give the blades to an actual smith to sharpen, so it should be sharper than what you can do with kitchen supplies.

In any case, they are sharp enough to cut nicely into faces :DDD
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 960x731px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 960x731px
Autistic op at it again
>>
>>1241124
My kitchen knives dry shave facial hair, try it with one of your swords
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.