[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eternal HEMA General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 26

File: hema_g.jpg (60KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
hema_g.jpg
60KB, 900x900px
Historical European Martial Arts Thread
Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment please.

Essential Information:

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=619536
http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.hroarr.com/
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php

old thread >>1104717
>>
File: 1.jpg (72KB, 658x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
72KB, 658x1024px
1st for driving the non WWE trash from this board.
>>
>>1181768
>Also no SCA/Reenactment please.
You forgot to add HMB to the no-no list.
>>
>>1181829
Wait, HMB and HEMA aren't interchangeable?
>>
>>1182378
Not the guy, but
HEMA= Fencing/Martial Art
HMB= Buhurt/Battle of the Nations tier
>>
File: 1359915002249.jpg (21KB, 341x219px) Image search: [Google]
1359915002249.jpg
21KB, 341x219px
>>1181768
That's my club :3
>>
What's a good drill for working on speed? Hand speed, reaction time, etc.
>>
>>1182681
Theres tons of, but they are a little hard to describe and I got no yt of them.
>>
>>1182857
:( well if you find one let me know. I'm short, so I need all the speed I can get.
>>
>>1182963
Ok, here are some or longsword

A (vom Tag) and B (Langort, points to opponents face ) stand in wide mensur
A strikes Oberhau (with correct step) to the bladetip of B and tries to hit the blade.
B can lower the guard to Alber (and alber only) whenever he sees it
Do 5 repetitions, see how many times you manage to hit the tip of your opponents blade, change roles

A (vom Tag) and B (low Krone) stand in wide mensur
B Starts a Krumphau to the right (away from your body), strikes the ground and comes back up in Krone
A strikes Oberhau (with correct step) to the head of B, as soons as he sees B starting his move
Do 5 repetitions, see how many times you manage to hit the mask of your opponent, change roles
Only controlled strikes, only to the mask, Krumphau dude got to keep his cross in front to stop blade

A (vom Tag) and B (vom Tag) stand in medium mensur
A strikes Oberhau, B paries from right to left vom Tag
Do 5 repetitions, see how many times you manage to hit the mask of your opponent, change roles
Only controlled strikes, only to the mask

If it gets a little onesided, adjust distance accordingly.
>>
>>1182963
What weapon?
>>
>>1182378
Nice try
>>
Who wrote the best manuals, and why is it Meyer?
>>
>>1182474
You should tell them to keep their fucking thumbs below the quillons.
>>
>>1182681
high intensity workouts at the gym. Aside from actually building muscle speed, you can build technical speed by full speed sparring.
>>
File: fwetgy.jpg (37KB, 642x390px) Image search: [Google]
fwetgy.jpg
37KB, 642x390px
is this the last bastian of the once great /asp?

they should just call this the pro wrestling board and be done with it.

here's to another fine HEMA thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uc01ASDJT8&nohtml5=False
>>
>>1184709
Please HEMA general. You're our only hope.
>>
Is there a source where someone does hatchet/axe in one hand and sword in the other?

I remember seeing some source with weird/uncommon weapon pairs, but I could just be watching too much animu.
>>
>>1184844
While checking out the club-finder I noticed a couple of schools (Sheffield and Lincoln) in the UK seem to be doing it.
PUMA Baritsu says they do Tomahawk and Boarding Axe + Dagger among several other things.
Meanwhile Wolfshead WMA seems to be focusing mainly on Tomahawk + Long Knife.

No idea what their source material is, although FMA is the standard for dual wielding short weapons afaik.
>>
>>1184875
>better weapon
Please stop this.
>>
>>1184875
/wwe/ here
No you arent aspie
>>
>>1184875
>what is the better weapon
What's the context?
*matteastonherescholagladiatoria.jpg*
>>
>>1185063
>>1185067
>>1185082

Dont bother. Trip fag just got a 30 day for ban evasion

One less.
>>
>>1184844
Ew
>>
O ignorant and magnanimous /hema/ general.
What are your thoughts on creating modern manuals and modern interpretations for historical european weapons like the longsword and sword and buckler?
I recognize that the old manuscripts are obviously a great fount of knowledge, but it's been hundreds of years and people have changed. Maybe someone out there has some good ideas for new techniques? Do you think it should be accepted if someone could come up with additional material? Would it still be considered HEMA?
>>
>>1185364
No. Because no significant evolutionary changes in human morphology have occurred in the past 500 years.
We still have the same number of limbs, digits and sensory organs in the same proportions, so nothing has changed enough to warrant new techniques.

Alternatively
Yes. Because we have access to much more information from all around the world, so we could easily borrow from various traditions and synthesize them into something "new" combining the best features of all the ancestor styles.
But then it would cease to be "Historical European Martial Arts".
>>
>>1185372
I like the latter. Not because I'm against it being historical, but rather exclusively european. Imagine a martial arts tradition that takes HEMA as a core discipline, and then says "Hey so the chinese had some cool techniques for swords too maybe some of them might work in tandem with some of our manuals." Not that I'm inherently against or unhappy with what we have now, but it seems like there's all these untapped founts of potential in other cultures, including modern ones, that could be very useful.
>>
>>1185372
>>1185364
Treatises and styles back then also were to answer about a precise, specific and deadly cultural and military context. What is of the modern context that requires us to be taught about sword and all ? It doesn't exist... Swordfighting back then was certainly part about fashion and being a gentleman, but it was also something to keep yourself alive, being assaulted by people with weapons was a much more common thing back then. So what needs do we have of a "modern system" that would allow us to make anything better than the actual people who had to fight for their lives and come up with solutions for such "problems".

Also, mixing certain styles isn't that easy to do. Mixing Meyer and the Bolognese is certainly doable as there is a good degree of similarities, but how do you do I:33 and the Bolognese sword and buckler ? How can you be sure that by mixing the two systems, you will actually get a better one, how can you ensure that the critical concept and aspect of both system will be able to stay and live in this new modern system ? Not too say it's impossible, but it would be very difficult. If you want to look at stuff like this, the reformation of the japanese swords arts in the late 19th century provides examples as to how hard it is, and mainly not so successful.

Besides, would HEMA still have the same "élan" and vibe if it were to study a "globish universal" style of fighting, instead of the actual history of fighting ? HEMA is not just a martial art, but also a research, so it would just be some sort of new fencing, imho that would quickly devolved into yet_another_unrealistic_olympic_fencing.
>>
>>1185372
Sure, it's called SCA.
>>
>>1185421
It was meant as a reply to>>1185364
>>
I just made made a checklist of shit I need to buy for steel fighting (Sword and all) and it came to around $1255 wihtout shipping.

Is that normal to start?
>>
>>1185456
I calculate $7-800 for the protective gear, and ~$300 for the Feder, so $1000-1100 for the full kit. I'd say you are off by $150, but that depends on your setup.
>>
>>1185456
>Is that normal to start?
You start with a wooden waster. There is no need to buy the full kit for steel sparring when you start.
>>
Does anyone have a link for Meyer's 1570 treatrise ?
>>
File: however.jpg (115KB, 567x448px) Image search: [Google]
however.jpg
115KB, 567x448px
>>1185082
I'm not sorry.
>>
>>1185502
Wasters are too expensive if you intend to go for steel at some point unless you're going to be passing them to every newbie that comes around.

A stick works almost as well for less than a tenth of the price then you can get steel sooner. It just might need some makeshift guard for some techniques.
>>
>>1185529
>too expensive
$50 last time I checked. How poor are you?
>>
>>1185540
Too expensive for what they offer. If you intend to go for steel just save the money for it sooner.

Also i've never seen a wooden waster that cheap, more like $100.
>>
>>1185522
I'm not saying it was context... but it was context.
>>
>>1185546
>Also i've never seen a wooden waster that cheap, more like $100.
Then you are blind and poor. http://www.woodenswords.com/
>>
>>1185559
around €30 in Germany, cheaper if you take a dozen.
>>
>>1185559
Or maybe i just don't check prices for stuff i don't need all that often.

And from what i see that's on sale for whatever reason and only the shit version: http://www.woodenswords.com/Hickory_Longsword_L1_p/l.b.h.htm

At least it's cheaper than nylon.
>>
>>1185499
I've listed everything but I feel like I'm over doing some of the purchases since I'm very new.

I put some extra SPES gear for elbow and forearms, but do I need it for steel sparring if I'm buying an Axel V2 jacket?

Also I never hear anything about thigh protection. Is it just not a big deal or do HEMA pants cover that area?

I'm also curious about neck protection. I'm buying the Absolute force deluxe mask and the Axel V2 chest. Do I still need a gorget?

I've been doing research but there's only so much I can do on my phone.
>>
I started car antennae tagging (saber). Do you have anything to say to me? There is no HEMA here.
>>
>>1185579
Don't skimp on the forearm protection, the AP jacket isn't enough, though maybe you can buy it later. Last Swordfish had a broken forearm, IIRC it was a guy with AP jacket only.

The Spes pants have padding on the thigh, but generally it's not a big problem since it's "naturally padded", so you just get bruised.

Gorget under the jacket is a good idea. I saw a sword pass under the bib and over the AP jacket neck. It didn't cause anything serious, but that was still a stitched neck. And knowing the guy who did it i doubt it was a particularly powerful thrust.

>>1185582
I think it's the modern fencing weapon i like the least. It's too fast for the judges so apparently it relies on you pretending you're sure you're the winner after every double (which is almost every exchange at high level).

I wish they'd increase the weight so things would slow down to a more manageable pace.
>>
>>1185576
>Or maybe i just don't check prices for stuff i don't need all that often.
Or maybe you should refrain from advising on stuff you obviously got no clue about?
>>
>>1185579
>Absolute force deluxe mask
Don't do this, it is shite quality and doesn't really work.
>>1185582
Lots of us did some oly fencing before hema, some of the basics translate really well.
Please keep in mind that a real sabre handles very different from a sports fencing one.
>>
>>1185589
Look, they're cheaper than i thought, but they're still overpriced sticks to me. I don't feel their use justifies the cost.

You can of course disagree with that, but perhaps you shouldn't focus so much on that one fucking detail.
>>
>>1185584
Matt Easton detected
>>
>>1185598
No, but i did see those FB posts. And i've heard from several modern fencers that the whole "lets pretend i'm the winner" thing is a big thing in sabre.

That shit is just sad.
>>
>>1185597
>I don't feel their use justifies the cost.
And you are pretty alone with that feeling. Pretty much every club uses them for their newbies, they are cheap, blunt and not to heavy. Perfect to teach a total beginner the stances and the difference between right and left.
>>
>>1185604
There are plenty clubs that only use steel. Plenty more with nylon or nylon and steel. If anything i've seen less wood than anything else.

Maybe there's more in the US, but in Europe it seems uncommon. I think i've heard of one club in Poland that uses them IIRC.
>>
>>1185596
Every review I see praises it heavily. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>1185625
It is the badly made chinese rip off from a SPES model that didn't really work either.
Protection level is lousy, the thing is heavy and impedes moevement.
Plus the AF masks are low quality. Rather get a PBT both protector and a mask form a quality maker.

>>1185615
Face it, you dun goofed. Wooden wasters are the standard for beginners, no one gives a newbie steel blades. And it is a stupid idea to buy a 250€ Feder when you aren't even sure if HEMA is the right thing for you.
>>
>>1185628
Well we certainly do. We don't have any wood or nylon here.

Perhaps consider that the whole world doesn't train the same way you do?
>>
>>1185596
what am I'm going to learn that is actually useful?
people were kinda impressed with my foot work (I got it from other martial arts)
I watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGearEu2PlU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2Mh6CyXo&nohtml5=False
and the difference just makes me want to cry. I would like to know who were the braindead individuals who thought those rules were a good idea. same with kendo. kendo just makes me want to puke.
>>
>>1185639
oh yeah, my point was, if I already got some footwork, what can I learn beyond that? I just feel like I'm waving a fairy wand and I'm trying desperately to cast my spell on him by touching him. also I cant parry for shit
>>
>>1185639
It's not the rules, or not just them. It's the gear.

Sabres became so ridiculously light that the whole thing sped up beyond control. Also it came from the already lighter dueling sabre rather than military IIRC.

>>1185641
Then you may learn to parry and to be at the exact distance to touch. Which is useful.
>>
>>1185639
kendo actually has some good stuff. but the rules are somewhat divorced from actual sword play
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 619x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 619x349px
Anyone know where I could find a practice Halberd?
>>
>>1185682
I don't know about halberds, but you can easily find rubber poleaxes.
>>
>>1185682
Not a clue, sorry. I'd suggest to make it yourself since it won't be that hard
>>
File: munitions_grade_feder.jpg (350KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
munitions_grade_feder.jpg
350KB, 1000x1500px
posting this again, considering one.
>>
>>1186663
You should consider a prostitute instead
>>
>>1186663
I'm more interested in their arming sword. The feder just looks like they traced a regenyei and then made it out of cheaper material.
>>
>>1186686
Steel is pretty cheap unless you go for something very fancy, so i highly doubt that. They just skip the polish to make it cheaper. Though from the specs it might be on the rigid side.
>>
>>1186663
man that feder looks sexy indeed!
a review wold be great tho, nobody knows anything about that producer
>>
>>1186774
>nobody knows anything about that producer
A name would be a good start, a country would also help.
>>
>>1186787
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LandsknechtEmporium#about

Seems to be Hungarian.
>>
>>1186799
Haven't heard of him yet, but I'll ask the Hungarian guy at the club.
Price and measurements seem to be alright, and the Hungarians are known to be excellent fencers. In the end , it is about the heat treatment.
I might buy one myself, just to see if it is quality.
>>
>>1186663
How did you find this? Where was it shared?
>>
>>1188580
Last general.
>>
>Oh shit Nigurfln, what are you doing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNeGypIkaCQ
>>
For synthetic sparring do I need a gorget and which gloves are good for a beginner?
>>
>>1191500
Gorget depends on the waster, it is at least recommended. Red dragon gloves are good for beginner synthetic sparring.
>>
>>1191500
A gorget is always a good idea.
About the gloves, are you planning to go steel or will you stay synthetic for life? Do you need gloves as soon as possible or you can wait and save money to get steel sparring-friendly gloves?
>>
>>1191787
I'm starting my first class soon so I want to stick with synthetic for a few months to see if this is my thing.

I've always wanted to join and have larped for over 7 years but I always craved learning real fencing. With all the gear I have on my list it will be $750 Canadian, shipping included, and that's a big risk for trying something out.

I'm probably just going to get the Red Dragon gloves with some protective tips for the fingers and see if I can handle steel combat with it. If not I'll gladly stick with syntehtic until I get something better.

While they're shipping I'll try to find some hand me down lacrosse gloves to fill the time. Are spare helmets available in some HEMA groups?
>>
I recently discovered a school near me, they teach HEMA as well as all the various fencing disciplines. What should I expect? Is HEMA full of spergs and fedoras? Is fencing just wanna-be Olympians? Which class should I take for something competitive.
>>
>>1191787
I also forgot to ask. Do most gorgets fit well under the Axel V2 gambeson or is there a better choice? Some reviews said the jacket itself gave good neck protection
>>
>>1191840
My club always has spares, they smell rancid but if that doesn't bother you then you should be fine.
>>
>>1191854
I'll bring baby wipes
>>
>>1191840
There is no need to buy any gear for starting HEMA, as you will be doing basics techniques and footwork only for the first couple months.
If you buy something now, you likely buy twice.
>>
>>1191840
The red dragons are lacrosse gloves with some additions, getting both seems rather redundant.

>>1191847
If they do Olympic fencing seriously you're likely to find a competition oriented club, so i doubt there will be many fedoras.

Epee is the least rules lawyery of the three, but all of them have big competition scenes. HEMA is smaller, but depends on where you are. You should pick whatever you like.

>>1191848
It's good but no infallible, possibly because the neck is wide enough to fit a gorget under.

>>1191942
While i agree you don't need to buy anything to start, i don't think we've ever had anyone go months before some (at least light) sparring. Though we usually start people with rapier so they can spar sooner.
>>
>>1185682
What are you planning to do? Solo drills? Techniques study with a partner? Sparring?
Also what is your budget?
>>
Anyone wear steel gauntlets? Where from?
>>
>>1192201
I used them like 10 years ago. One pair was from Kovex Ars and the other from Mardinus IIRC. I wouldn't recommend them, at least not mild steel "one size fits all" with "scale" fingers.

Custom size, aritculated fingers with proper heat treatment (and thus thinner for the same protection)? That might actually work well.
>>
>>1192201
Steel gauntlest are not permited for most clubs and tournaments.
>>
>>1192302
I take it that's because of potential injury to opponents?
>>
>>1192519
Injury to the wearer mainly. Finger splattering and broken ribs after thows is what i heard.
>>
Halberd Anon here, planning on buying a pole so I can attach a training part to it. Someone suggested making a halberd end, sorry for so many questions, but, anyone know how I'd go about doing that?
>>
>>1192064
Sorry, didn't see this. I'm planning on sparring with a partner. And eventually join my local HEMA club.
>>
>>1192519
Both. punching is dangerous and falling on it is dangerous.

>>1192585
saw it from a thin board or plastic sheet, attach it with zip ties. Yo don't want to go full contact with halberds anyway.
>>
>>1192661
>saw it from a thin board or plastic sheet, attach it with zip ties. Yo don't want to go full contact with halberds anyway.
Sorry, was meant or you >>1192576
>>
>>1192576
>>1192585
I think >>1186243 is the best option. Check the purple heart polehammer trainer.
Also >>1192661 will work, but be sure to use some kind of flexible plastic and don't make it too thin (at least on the edge), a wide edge hurts less.
>>
Why the fuck HEMA community's so PC, people? they told me that the only reason numbers of male and female HEMA members being not even is because of so called patriarchy. I basically told them no it is not because testosterone is basically what drives human to be violent and practice martial arts and they lost their shit. Seriously is that so hard to accept? I was fucking polite also while stating that. Of course the one that produces more testosterone'll be more interested in martial arts goddamnit.
>>
>>1193360
There are many women interested in HEMA, and martial arts in general, that are greatly put off by a) feeling uncomfortable around the fedora tippers and white knights b) being put-upon by guys leering at them or putting hands where they don't belong during grappling, etc and c) feeling societal obligations to be a cute little flowery thing, and not a bad bitch with a sword.

This applies to many other hobbies and interests as well; I've introduced a lot of women into hunting, fishing, and shooting who otherwise were not given the opportunity to try those activities and who admitted they had always wanted to but either never had the opportunity, never felt welcome in a "boy's club," or didn't want to seem weird.
>>
>>1193369
Not really HEMA related but still within the martial arts subject. I briefly ran a dojo, since women were uncomfortable with working with men we opened a women-only class. Their number still were like 1/5th of men. Now I don't say social system does not scare of women what I'm trying to say is even though social system were to be demolished and women could attend to "boy's club" activities their number'd be still less than men. There is a hormonal and genetical aspect people try to deny. Fuck the political correctness and science deniers.
>>
>>1193360
>Why the fuck HEMA community's so PC, people?
There are definitely some retards out there, but it's not all like that. I think you just got unlucky running into those guys.

>>1193369
>never had the opportunity
Was someone holding a gun to their head, saying they weren't allowed to try it?

>didn't want to seem weird
Oh, never mind.
>>
>>1193430
Maybe not so much for shooting, but fishing and hunting you'd usually learn from somebody who already does them, usually a family member.

MA seem to have extra problems for women as bruises on women trigger the whole "is she being abused?" thing.
>>
>>1193397
>Sincerely le redpilled genteel men
>>
>>1193369
>putting hands where they don't belong during grappling
Fuck having large portions of your body that your opponent can't place his hands upon during grappling.
And I don't mean groping. There's a difference between grappling and groping.

I never wrestle with a man and think "I better avoid his butt!". Fuck that, if I somehow get purchase on his ass cheek, I'm not letting go until I throw him off me. That's rassling, baby.
>>
>>1193430
Not having the opportunity means they grew up in a region with strict gun laws, poor fishing, a general disdain towards the outdoor lifestyle activities, had overbearing family, etc. Not wanting to seem weird, as in there were societal pressures saying that it was not okay for a girl to hunt upland game, or sit in a treestand, or spend time at the range with her new rifle. In the same token there are societal pressures saying a girl can't swing a sword, or learn to wrestle, or spend hours in a gym learning how footwork and hot to throw a hook.
>>
>>1193601
Poor little girls. It's not like they can tell to fuck off to anyone who dislike their hobby. Damn white males with their strong will and being okay to go against the norms. So patriarchy. Much sexism.
>>
>>1193627
Congratulations, by completely ignoring cultural aspects you've managed to become as moronic as those who ignore everythign but the cultural aspect.
>>
>>1192774
Thank you very much for all the help. It seems that HEMA has such a great community.
>>
>>1182681
play with a tennis ball just bouncing it off a wall.... or a ping pong ball on a string
>>
Why don't you just train with a quarterstaff? That by itself is already dangerous enough for your training partners.

You could make one with square section so you can work on edge alignment.
>>
>>1193601
What medieval kingdom do you live in?
>>
Friendly reminder to keep /pol/ topics in /pol/. This thread is about HEMA and not about gender issues.
>>
>>1194501
I guess you wouldn't like to see some more girls practicing HEMA
>>
>>1194654
We have some and they have great trouble with techniques that require a deal of strength and they practically refuse to grapple.

I'm probably the physically weakest male in the club and still able to easily overpower the most experienced of the women.

So...while I'm all for women getting into HEMA, it's far from easy. Their physical disadvantage is massive, and their cultural inclination to hold back also hinders them. Most of them won't be able to compete, except for with each other.

Any good ideas?
>>
>>1194742
Time for some Talhoffer man vs woman judicial duel.
>>
>>1193369
can confirm, also sometimes is not "the society" in an abstract sense, but the parents for example can have a role in this, if they keep telling their children there are sports they can't do because they're dangerous or whatever, when they grow up they usually keep thinking that or forget why they wanted to do karate or whatever as a kid. I don't deny there might be some hormonal differences that might make it a bit harder for a woman to train for martial arts, but its not an excuse, it's not a missing limb or something like that
>>
I got around 20% grills in my club, no idea why the quota is so low, likely women are less prone to be autistic, that would also explain why I got only 20% grills in my IT development team.
On the other hand, the quote of grills that can fence really good and those that can’t fence for shit is the same as with the boys. And yes, a grill that can fence really good does beat bigger and stronger fellows just with correct technique easily.
>>
>>1194792
My mom didn't want me to play with big knives but here I am anyway.
>>
>>1194968
yeah I know, some people just don't have the balls to do what they want
>>
>>1192576
Just cut the head out of a HDPE or teflon board using a jigsaw and screw it to a staff, it's really that easy
>>
>>1195064
huh that was 10k answers before...
>>
>>1186663
>>
>>1195625
Not very safe in the thrust then.
>>
>>1195625
>>1195637
Check page 6 for details: http://feder.org.pl/images/pdfs/rules_longsword.pdf

Could be borderline
>>
>>1195947
I'm not sure if you can guess the result of the weighted point test easily from this one.

But i've seen a Berbekucz stiff feder, IIRC it's 10kg for a 10cm bend, and it's already very stiff. This one seems to bend less with 15...
>>
>>1195625
Where did you find this? Site is down
>>
Koning review when?
>>
>>1196290
They posted it on their facebook page.
>>
>>1194748
>tfw buried to the waist
>tfw still win
>>
When did the long Knife drop out of fashion? And was it replaced by the Dussack? Or is that too simple?
>>
Yay, we broke a Regenyei feder today, snapped right trough the schildt. Will post pictures once I receive them.
>>
>>1198615
Second time i hear about a Regenyei breaking through the schilt. It's really weird.
>>
>>1198633
It isn't, he uses a perfect right angle where the Schildt reduces into the tang. He should use some sort of a radius. Will ask him about it next time I see him.
Anyways, better at the Schildt than elsewhere. Every blade will eventually break, and at the Schildt it is at least not dangerous.
>>
>>1197802
I don't know the answer to this but I know that there's at least one manual that applies Messer techniques to sidesword so I'd lean towards that.

I'll be interest to hear others responses though I know nothing about Dussack I assumed it was only a training aid.
>>
>>1198649
From what i recall of non-training dussack "fancy messer" could be a decent enough description.

I think the ones i've seen had a "shell" style guard instead of the nagel.
>>
>>1198649
>I'll be interest to hear others responses though I know nothing about Dussack I assumed it was only a training aid.
The Dussack was also a type of short let's call it "sabre type" weapon, and a pretty efficient one at that. http://hroarr.com/the-dussack/
>>
So did that person who kept shit posting about Steve hand and Paul Wagner fuck off yet?
>>
>>1198716
>shit posting
He likely was Australian, please do respect their culture.
>>
>>1198615
Our steel is better than past steel. Feders break. Maybe we're fighting wrong.
>>
>>1181768
RVD liked martial arts
>>
>>1198965
Son, have you read period fencing literature, blades did break all the time.
>>
>>1198716
>So did that person who kept shit posting about Steve hand and Paul Wagner fuck off yet?
Hi Paul.
>>
What is a good age to get into HEMA?
>>
>>1201570
But as long as you are breathing you can haz fun.
>>
>>1201581
I don't know, kids usually don't understand martial arts
>>
>>1201672
Gotta get em young if you want to turn them into perfect killing machines. The Jesuits got that one right!
>>
File: danelli dussack.jpg (310KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
danelli dussack.jpg
310KB, 1400x788px
>>1197802
>>1198649
Dussack in Meyer is a leather and wood trainer, the feder to the messer/falchion's longsword.
The clamshell, complex-hilt cutlass thing is one steel type, the Sinclair or Styrian sabre, and there's also the machete-like bent-lump-of-metal style. I have no idea what the relation between the three is, but I'm wondering if the decline of the messer is just due to the lifting of the restriction on swords, so they just became sabre s and cutlasses and backswords depending on the blade.
>>
>>1201766
>restriction on swords
There never was one.
>>
>>1201766
>>1201770
The restriction was on making swords as this was in the era of guilds messing with each other. The knife makers guild wanted to make them, so they made something that worked pretty much the same but didn't fit the legal definition of sword.
>>
>>1201773
Please post a source for this claim.
>>
>>1201770
>>1201773
Yes, please expand. I'll admit to parroting the commonly received wisdom that messers came about to circumvent restrictions on swords being worn. Is there another explanation for the slab hilt?
>>1186799
I'm also going to take a punt on this guy's messer, even if it's not great it seems right to practice messer with a cruder design.
>>
>>1201855
It's part of making it a long knife instead of a sword.

Medieval guilds were legal monopolies. The swordsmiths guild were the only ones who could make swords, try to compete with them and you'll get in trouble, legal or otherwise.

As the story goes the knife makers guild wanted to make swords, so they came up with the messer shape so it'd still count in law as a knife but would be a sword in practice.

In some countries there was also trouble between bladesmiths and hilt makers, or hilt makers and goldsmiths about using gold in hilt, and other similar crap.

>>1201781
I wish i could remember.

At least it makes more sense than the supposed sword restrictions. IIRC burghers were required to have weapons, not forbidden.
>>
>>1201855
>>1201958
So I guess we are all parroting then (no offense intended) to a certain degree, and it seems that nobody has really a convincing hypothesis why certain bladed weapons came into fashion and why they did fell out of fashion again yet.
Good thing, since the H in HEMA indicates that we want to regain lost knowledge.
I'm gonna ask the local sword expert (antiques dealer at the other side of town) and see if he has a paper or book about this.
>>
>>1201781
Please post one for messers being a thing because of carry laws.
>>
>>1202458
I did not claim that one either. I say we do not really know yet and as long as we don't we should also either state that that it is only a hypothesis or than back up our claims with sources.
>>
>>1201773
>The knife makers guild
>messing with each other.

I see what you did there...
>>
>>1202477
I wish i did it on purpose.
>>
good vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D0R_DJhCW4
>>
>>1203119
>Which plastic training sword

Third world problems, so to say.
>>
>>1203382
yup, would like a feder/blunt but poor af.
>>
>>1203382
They do have their uses.
>>
>>1203569
i like them, i suppose im in it more for the sporting aspect, still cool though.
>>
File: blackfencer sabre.jpg (338KB, 1664x1248px) Image search: [Google]
blackfencer sabre.jpg
338KB, 1664x1248px
>>1203569
Plastic wasters are useful to me as steel, just because they offer more opportunities to train- public spaces, with a bit less kit, or for weapons I'm not going to invest time and money in studying full on (ah, the Blackfencer sabre...)
>>
>>1203808
yeah, that's a lovely hilt, last demo we did 2/3 of the audience were under 7's, we just plonked helmets on them (with permission) and let them have a go with BF messers.
>>
>trying to get BF synthetics in to Australia
>this kills the budget

Now I'm working on a business to make it more affordable for Australasians.
>>
Anyone know how to make a leather singlestick basket? I've got a hold of some hickory singlestics, but they all have no guards.
>>
>>1204195
How much do you pay in customs?

Australia is like the white version of South American countries.
>>
>>1194742
>tfw my mom used to do HEMA
>5ft tall, 45 year old woman wielding a katzbalger and small round shield
>would bullrush guys twice her size and bash them on the inside of the thigh, armpits, throat and back of the knee
>all the while screaming like a fucking pict
>I've almost never seen her back down
she was like a pocket-sized berserker
she's amost 55 now and she's calmed down, does rapier instead of full-on HEMA
MOST girls are bad at it because they're not vicious enough
>>
>>1204513
How did she get people to even spar with her?

>>1194654
>>1194742
The club I'm in has a female instructor, she's not the most experienced, but she's still legit. Maybe 1/10 or 1/20 of the students are female. Mostly synthetic longswords, a half dozen or so regularly use their steels for sparring.
>>
>>1204542
>>1204542
Used to be in a club that was pretty relaxed, no official competitions, mostly friendly spars either within the club or with other friendly clubs.
The only spars she did out of that were mostly at Ren-Fairs/HEMA meetings when they'd allow for large weight-class differences or just picking friendly fights with huge guys because it amused her to no end to fuck with them.
She fights viciously but it's all in good sport and she is careful with her strikes, always controlled. I've never seen her hurt anyone for real.
She's also extremely nice and would bake cookies and huge pans of lasagna for everyone on a regular basis.

The trick to get her was either to grapple her, but more often than not she'd find a way to wriggle out of it or stick her practice dagger over an artery in the process and politely let you know, or to keep her at a distance and that often involved a lot of running backwards and using a polearm

sorry if my english isn't good on certain points
>>
>>1204557
Your English is fine. She seems like a great person to have in a club!
>>
>>1204563
Thanks and yes she is
I might be blogposting though but that was my two cents about women in HEMA
Most of the others I have seen were exclusively practicing rapier though, or if they did medieval it was not very convincing

On a side note : pic-related is the GOAT melee weapon in my opinion
>>
File: colichemarde.jpg (10KB, 1001x235px) Image search: [Google]
colichemarde.jpg
10KB, 1001x235px
>>1204572
and I forget the pic
silly me
>>
>>1203781
I haven't personally used my Nylon waster in years; I had it for a few months when I started out and practically donated it to the club once I got some steel. Still, they're good for newcomers, the very weak, grappling practise...
>>
>>1204454
>Australia is like the white version of South American countries.
Argentina pls go
Also a fuck ton. Buying from the US of EU is basically conspicuous consumption/status symbol here.
Plus our domestic suppliers are basically custom orders only i.e. Expensive.
Anyone keen to go in to business here?
>>
>>1204796
What if you buy like a metric ton of gear and ship it at once. Do you have some trade free agreements with EU or the UK that would bring customs down? Any of you guys got experience in import export business? Own company?
>got a guy in club who has his own company and does wholesale with HEMA gear from pretty much all European quality makers
>let me know if you need a hook up
>>
>>1204808
>>let me know if you need a hook up
Sounds like a juicy lead...
>>
>>1204513
>>1204557
There's a girl in a nearby club that's like a younger version of your mother. No cookies or lasagna for not though.

>>1204574
A bit better than a normal smallsword i guess, but still rather short and even worse at cutting than a rapier. I really don't think that's GoAT.

>>1204796
I recently read about Argentina having problems with imports too.

How is shipping between South America and Australia? I think they'd benefit from getting their own suppliers there. I doubt copying the good designs would be all that hard.
>>
What's the best place to start? (A complete newbie.)

I have no HEMA teachers in my country. At all. Any suggested manuals or youtube vids?
>>
>>1203976
Are you serious? That's a hilarious, and terrifying, image,. BF hit like bricks and most children can't pass sponge balls without erupting in tears and accusations.
>>
>>1206331
What country are you from?

If there literally are no teachers, then you pretty much have to start your own. You can only get so far by yourself and some things are easier or faster to learn if you have a partner to help you work something out.

German and Italian styles seem to be the most popular and have lots of sources, so start looking at some manuals from them (Meyer, Fiore, etc.)
>>
>>1204557
Don't be shy and let her know you love her.
>>
>>1206331
Find a weapon you want to learn (longsword, dagger, sword and buckler, single sword, rapier, smallsword, etc.). Look into what era interest you in parallel, as it will most certainly help the previous point (end of the Middle-Ages, early 16th c., end of the 16th c., 17th c., etc.). Then you should be able to look into a specific treatise or at least a general tradition (Bolognese, Lichtenauer, Italian rapier, Destreza). Once you have all those, look look look into the specific source or tradition.
Certain ones like Fiore (italian late middle-ages, lots of different weapons) are already fairly fleshed out, you have modern books about it. Same goes with the Lichtenauer tradition (mostly longsword from germany). Some others are a little bit obscure, but you can always find stuff about it, so don't desesperate.

Then again, a training partner is pretty essential, s/he doesn't need to have the same taste in weapons as you, that way, you can look into two different systems at the same time, helping each other, which can be useful and offer new perspectives.

Some stuff are way more beginner friendly then others obviously, so be advised.
>>
>>1206331
I bet you're in Asia.
In which case either Dutch, English, or Spanish/Portuguese sources are a good start.
>>
>>1206331
Find someone else to practise with. Ideally several people.
>>
>>1204513
I want to become like your mom one day, she sounds awesome
>>
>>1206372
Kids having a little mess with them, they were told no thrusts and to not hit too hard, good natured fun, had one of the guys who bodybuilds at the club pick up two kids on either quillon of the BF montante.
>>
THIS IS WHAT PASSES FOR """"TOP LEVEL"""" IN AUSFALIA!
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGUOGMsKsmM
LITERALLY A DUDE LOOKING LIKE HE CRAWLED OUT OF FALLOUT4!
>LARP TIER
kek
>>
What is the best treatise to start messer? Is there any realiable modern manual to better learn messer?
>>
>>1210955
Johannes Lecküchner and there is an agilitas TV dvd on it.
>>
>>1210096
>world championship
>>in Australia
Kekekekekekekekekeke
"Alright Paul m8"
"Alroght Steve you cunt what's kangarooing"
"Not bad m8 can't complain. Listen to this wallaby though. I got an idea. Hows about we run a backsword tournament called " The Backsword WORLD championship" right here in our backyard?
>But Steve, Australia is fucking in the middle of nowhere. No one is going to fly 24 hours just to step on our koala shit.
>That's the point m8. Australia is sure to win.
>Crikey
>>
>>1210096
>>1211014
Unlucky choice of gear and name for event, other than that it is nice to see that they do HEMA on all continents.
Why are you so butthurt? personal grudge or something?
>>
>>1211157
Just for gear and name. And the fact they pretend their gear is better than gear used in Europe and America.
>>
>>1211240
For the reasons stated, are you an idiot?
>>
>>1211659
What about you?
>>
File: DSC04175.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04175.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1186774
actually I know him, I have a practice messer, a proto-rapier and a half plate from him with a few daggers and other stuffs.
what do you want to know?
(Also he has a facebook page called Landsknecht Emporium)
>>
File: LjubljanaDynamics.png (93KB, 823x1191px) Image search: [Google]
LjubljanaDynamics.png
93KB, 823x1191px
>>1211765
Most here are interested in the ammunitions grade feder (longsword)
Can you tell about the flex? Best would be if you follow this procedure: >>1195947
Also, can you tell where balance point, points of percussion and points of precision are?
>pic is a shameless steal from Peter Johnsson
>>
>>1211014
I kek'd.

But there are other examples of this kind of thing. A lot of krotty fighting in the US started out as "World" tournaments and "World" championships. The longest running krotty even in the US only changed it's name from "World" to "US" after something like a decade or more of running.
>>
>>1212228
Yay, but that is no reason to get all salty, thats a reason to fly over there, enter the tournament, kick the living shit out of everyone, get world champion and then drink lots of VB and call it a day.
Seriously, a HEMA event is best excuse for leisure traveling there is.
>hope they make a New Zealand World Championship one day
>>
Yo guys, I'm an Epee fencer, I know technically I don't belong here but I have a feeling some people here do fencing. What are the age classes? I can't figure out what competitions I can compete in and what I can't.
>>
>>1212334
Around here competitive levels start at 12-13, 14-16, 17-19, 20+ which is the main thing, and Senior level starts at 40+ and might or might not have further levels. But that varies depending on the nation, where are you from then?
>>
>>1212154
Sadly I don't have one of his feders yet, as I said I only have a messer, a proto rapier and a few daggers from him right now.
But if you give me a little time I can summon the blacksmith personally here to post stuff and he can answer all those questions.

Also right now he put a hold on new orders of the feders as a few dozen orders came in and a literal fuckton of questions about them so he asked everyone who already have them to write a review about it, this way everyone can get more info about them and doesn't have to take his word. Although it will take a few more days or week until this reviews come in...
>>
>>1212542
Excellent, thanks a lot.
>>
>>1212372
UK.
>>
>>1212550
although I can tell you about his general work and why his stuff seem really cheap compared to others.
That's simply because while his stuff is functionally sound they aren't pretty. They good, handles well in my opinion but most of them aren't the symmetric kind, polished prettiness. More like munitions grade prettiness.
That and the work cost in Hungary is cheap.
Heat treating is sadly something that he have to outsource so every once in a while that is fucked up but he tries to minimized that.

But if everything goes right he will be here shortly
>>
>>1212569
http://www.britishfencing.com/rankings/
>>
>>1212550
I'm here.
First thing is, the feders are made to order, so no one has theirs as of right now (except some Hungarian folks, but that irrelevant). The first has it's deadline a month away, I plan on delivering several well before then. Also yeah, I suspended offering these until reviews are up. I'm confident in my knives and practice messers, but I'm not a longsword guy. It would really suck to sell several dozens of these only to find out that I make shit.

The steel is 51crv4, serviceable as a sword, nice and tough, and it's cheap. But it's, well, cheap. I ask the heat-treating company to HT it to 52-54 HrC, though they tend to deviate a bit. I try my best to check all of the blades, and only use the ones that fall between 50-56, hopefully later on I'll have access to a more precise HT venue. Right now I'm glad that anyone's willing to HT this size. The finish is as rough as it gets.
These are the main reasons of the low price. If the reviews don't reveal a critical flaw, then I'll resume offering these at the same price, if I have to redesign or alter the process in a large way, then the price may change. I plan on introducing neater versions later this year. Either way, these are not currently available for commission, sorry.

Also for stats, I dun goofed on that part, and didn't measure these on the prototype. I had to contact the current owner to come back to my place to have some photos of the flex taken (already uploaded, whoever it was, thanks). I plan on measuring all the things on the first 3 to get finished.

>>1186686
I really don't like copying or using the work of others. Hopefully the similarity means that mine will work as intended.
>>
>>1186686
Also I'm not terribly happy with the arming sword design, the grip is a bit long for my tastes. But whenever I made one that I liked handling, the buyer went hurrdurrmuhwhalesizedglovesdontfit, so I elongated the grip and made it the standard offering because of the feedback. Even as I value feedback greatly, it's still meh.
>>
>>1212570
>ren't the symmetric kind, polished prettiness. More like munitions grade prettiness.

That's correct. I really hope that the pics I uploaded to Etsy and FB conveys this clearly enough. I'm sending photos for approval before shipping to buyers, and I'm willing to alter the piece or refund the money if they don't like it. Didn't happen yet, I'm sure it'll happen at some point.
>>
File: 1447215539565.png (137KB, 811x382px) Image search: [Google]
1447215539565.png
137KB, 811x382px
>>1211014
Listen here m8, you wombat headed cunt, Steve 'nd Paul a top blokes.
>But Paul looks like he suffers from autism, he literally refuses to change...
Oi, at least Steve wears his clubs uniform. He's not just some gala filming in his backyard.
>But Australia could be on the same level as everyone else if they just...
If you don't shut your mouth m8 I'll jam-a-roo my diggery-doo in your ol' lady's platypus!
>Jesus, why are you guys so backwards?
Because Mad Max is a fuckin' doco cunt.
>But-
Can't handle the bantz m8? Go drink some of that wader you call """beer""" mixed with concrete 'nd harden the fuck up.
>Damn, for a country that used to be a decade ahead of the game you've sure taken a step back. Just copy Europe and shut up.
I swear, I'll cassowary kick the shit out of you stubbie clad pooftas!
>...
Emu Wars.
>>
>>1212255
Orr new brew, Kiwi Werld Championshps wood be sweet as.
>>
>>1211765
>a proto-rapier
>>1212542
>a proto rapier
IT'S CALLED A SIDESWORD YOU HUNGOLIAN BASTARD!
>>
>>1212633
How do you acquire buyers? I'm in Oz and was think of producing and selling domestically as well...
>>
>>1212255
What the point if you don't even get decent opponent?
>>
>>1212608
Can you make the swords flex more? Other than that I really love the look.
>>
>>1213216
>What the point if you don't even get decent opponent?
Maybe it will help you brush up on your English.
>>
>>1213717
No, it's diesn't.
>>
>>1213044
Build a good online presence and don't be afraid to put your wares up on your personal FB, just don't be a spamming prick about it. Make good stuff, and equally good or better photos. Treat the dude who buys a single cheap item the same way you'd treat him if he were buying all the stuffs.Be honest about your shit, even if it makes it sound less appealing.
Oh, and be prepared to suck a lot. Doing business is a skill you have to learn, and it's completely unrelated to your skills as a craftsman. It will hurt while learning. A lot.

>>1213702
I intentionally made this model stiff (mentioned it outright in the original posting on Etsy). If the reviews prove that it works and doesn't spontaneously implode with use, then I'll offer it as it is. I plan on introducing several more models, at least 2 of them (one with the same profile but ~30% thinner blade, and one with a ~25% wider, ~20% thinner blade.) will be a lot more flexible. I could also make custom pieces tailored to individual needs, but honestly, I designed my cheap practice weapons around the idea of being easy to make in series.
>>
>>1213039
>sidesword
>not spada da filo
you should know when to go full frutti di mare.
>>
>>1213823
>spada da filo
>not spada da lato
Pizza mafia tramazzoni
>>
>>1213840
U I liek U...

On a more serious note, it seems "spada da filo" is more common than "spada da lato", though both terms are used, sometimes in the same treatise and this even though "spada da filo" is way more imprecise in itself (a sword with an edge, really ?). IIRC, Viggiani, Marozzo, Manciolino and dall'Agocchie all use "da filo" much more than "da lato".
>>
>>1213039
nah, it's a pretty much a transitional piece. it can be called sidesword, proto-rapier or just simply sword and all of them would be true.
But I have it and I call it proto-rapier. Thankfully the terminology police didn't existed back then and they don't know where I live now
>>
>>1213815
On the flex, if the Feder offers not the minimal required amount of flex, it becomes mighty dangerous, a trust with a two handed weapon creates a lot of momentum and neither throats nor sternums react too well to that.
>>
>>1213840
>>1213850
maybe "spada da filo" actually means a sword with a sharp edge, in order to distinghuish that from "spada da marra" which is basically a blunt training sword. What do you bolognesefags think?
>>
>>1213907
It seems reasonable.
>>
>>1213907
It would make sense, especially since many of the bolognese masters discuss practicing with sharp swords or with blunt training sword (Manciolino, Viggiani and I think dall'Agocchie).
Viggiani even starts his 3rd chapter on why you should practice with a sharpened sword instead of a practice sword so...
>>
>>1213924
Thanks, I didn't know it and I had to take a look. The different attitude of sparring while using safe or unsafe gear is an issue many are considering nowadays (though it's more about protections than sharps vs blunts). It's most interesting to find period masters had to deal with similar issues.
>>
>>1213949
Just like a lot of issues that are discussed nowadays, it's not that surprising to see that the problems existed back then too.
Now you have to consider that Viggiani is a bit particular as is "Lo Schermo" is suppose to be a single quick lesson with minimal but effective stuff. It's not that of a surprise to see him advocating for "fight-ready swords" when he is training someone not even in a day. If it were for a long practice at a salle, then practice weapons would make sense, but Viggiani talks about a private discourse where no suc practice swords are present, yet both the master and student has a sword.
Would Viggiani agree for a sharp sword only practice ? Nothing is so sure.
>>
>>1213999
I guess both have pros and cons, and the choice of the most fitting one depends on the context. I smell past masters knew it, it's a pity most modern instructors only stick to one option as if it was the only and best one.
>>
>>1214019
>it's a pity most modern instructors only stick to one option as if it was the only and best one.
I'm pretty sure some of the masters of the past did that too.
I'm also pretty sure that there were shankings in dark alleys because of the disagreements on this and other stuff, like which fencing school is the better
>>
>>1213815
I just want to let you know that I really appreciate your presence on this here mongolian tapestry board, and that I look forward to ordering some of your swords when they become available.
>>
>>1214034
It depends, in early modern France for instance, with the rise of the guild of fencing masters in 1567, the masters could either ask for people who were "illegally" teaching fencing to be jailed or fined by the king authorities and if there was divisions or problemes inside the guild... well it was solved inside the guild, with the masters ruling the disagreement in private.
Judgement of public retribution and duels could be fairly severe (up to death even for high status noblemen) and people in fencing schools were kept in pretty hard check (basically you had to give a good deal of money to the master before being taught plus an other good deal of money as insurance of good conduct that he could confiscate if you didnt stay in the school for up to 2 years).

If you wanted to be a master, you had to do a specific demonstration and be recommended by the masters. If you didn't had one or the other, you were thrown away and could be severely fined (and we have many cases of people who were indeed forbidden of doing fencing classes). The guild did it to break the use of foreign masters (especially italians) by the royal court.

I wouldn't say no one was shanked in fencing school brawls, but I think there is a little bit too much romanticization, well depending on the country at least.
>>
>>1213861
I'm aware of the danger, but I prefer to be able to bind properly, and I designed this model with that in mind. It's possible that it'll be a dealbreaker for some or even most. If the latter's the case then I'll design a new one.
Then again I didn't make a proper weighted point test as outlined in the pdf linked here before, so I don't even know if it passes or fails it. When the first pieces are done, I'll do the test properly and take photos with clear reference points (I'm thinking a grid-marked paper for background for total clarity). That should make it clear whether or not it's suited for anyone's training.

>>1214424
I um you're welcome I guess? Wouldn't've found the thread on my own, so you have to thank HLF for the dubious blessing of my presence. I just try to answer every question about my stuff everywhere. And now that I said that, I'm sure I'll find unanswered ones either on my FB or on Etsy.
>>
>>1185456
For steel fighting, yeah, that's close.

Neymanfencing stuff could probably chop a few hundred off, but still.

If you feel it's expensive, that's understandable, but compared to most hobbies it's still pretty tame. I'm still about $12,000 shy of having an entry level 2wd rally car.
>>
>>1199928
For real. The whole "passing a sword down through generations" trope is bullshit. If you got a sword to survive a war or two, you did great or were rear echelon.
>>
>>1215025
What type of car?
>>
>>1215435
I don't want to derail the thread so I'm sure you understand why I won't continue this topic after this response. It's a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3. NASA spec roll cage will be $4,000-6,000 from the 7 quotes I've gotten. Coil overs alone will be $3,000, before ordering spares. Another 1,800 in the rest of the suspension. Skid plate is looking like $500, then the seats and helmets will be $2,000 together.

I haven't even priced out wheels and tires yet. Such a mess. Aside from the coils, that's just to meet minimum safety regs, too. Not even to be competitive. Just to be legal.
>>
File: image.png (183KB, 320x728px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
183KB, 320x728px
>>1181768
Is RVD over with HEMA?
>>
>>1215009
>I'm aware of the danger, but I prefer to be able to bind properly, and I designed this model with that in mind.
It doesn't need to be that stiff to be good in the bind, this is a misconception. Regenyei B blades are a good compromise between flex and bind. Remember the objective of your tool. It is a federschwert, it's for full speed safe fighting. If you can't do that because it is so stiff then there is no point in buying it over a blunt.
>>
What is the ideal force for a blow to make it perfectly effective without wasting energy? A can-kill-a-dinosaur blow? A push-the-sword-with-enthusiasm blow? A let-the-sword-go blow? A witheld blow?
>>
>>1217330
Second one
>>
>>1217330
>>1217356
also, always remember to smile :)
>>
>>1217715
Hi Roland !
>>
File: image.jpg (200KB, 630x365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200KB, 630x365px
>>
File: Roland who.jpg (38KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
Roland who.jpg
38KB, 180x180px
>>1217764
No Roland here
>>
What is the best YT channel if you want to get into watching fencing matches?
>>
>>1185579
Get a gorget, just in case.

Get SPES arm guards. No need for elbow protection, probably.

As for thigh protection some would probably be a good idea, I think there's a heavy skirt sort of thing you can wrap around you to cover the bits under the AP jacket when your arms are up. I have a scar on my thigh from an incident during drilling with steel. I was wearing jogging bottoms, no protection afforded.
>>
There's a German study school in my city, and, go figure, it's the only school in my city. Any recommended reading? Studying? First-time purchases? Exercises? I did fencing, like, once several years ago, so I'm not the most experienced, but I do wanna be a little bit more prepared than your average beginner.
>>
File: Saber 2.jpg (32KB, 1500x258px) Image search: [Google]
Saber 2.jpg
32KB, 1500x258px
As HEMA gets more popular, what can we do to get existing sport fencers on board with us?
I don't mean to eclipse or stop sport fencing. I would genuinely like to work with sport fencers and work to advance swordfighting as a hobby.

Sport fencers have a lot of existing tournament structures, and have ins with post-secondary schools and private schools. I think if we can get HEMA there, then we can build something bigger. Heck, sport fencers are in with the Olympics.

Humor my, /hemag/. If we can work with sport fencers and maybe change up how sport fencing is now, we could probably improve their sport. By improve, I mean to remove the lightning quick tag, and replace it with the "survive a duel" game it's supposed to be.
And there's a lot HEMA could learn from sport fencers.

And my local sport fencing group are cool people, dammit.
>>
>>1220104
I doubt anyone can remove stick tagging from olympics. In best case you will make a new sport that is a bit more realistic.
Also, I don't see any benefit for HEMA. We already have murricans who is more interested in sportification than in studying real combat.
>>
>>1220294
>We already have murricans who is more interested in sportification than in studying real combat.

Well yeah, unlike Yuros we like to make sure what we are learning is actually usable against a resisting opponent.

That's why Aikido, Shorinji Kempo, and Sport Krotty are big there while here it's about martial arts/sports that actually involve fighting.
>>
>>1220104
>what can we do to get existing sport fencers on board with us?
Why would we want to?

>then we can build something bigger
Ok, but why would we want to? I think we're doing fine on our own, and I'd prefer slower growth overall. Even the recent uptick in popularity is making me a bit nervous. I'm not trying to be a hipster about it, but I'm concerned that we'll eventually lose the H in HEMA.

Besides, there are a lot of sport fencers out there who have a really condescending attitude toward HEMA; they think they know how things are "supposed to be done" and are constantly trying to change how we do things to suit their own narrow tastes.
>we could probably improve their sport
Yeah, kind of like that.
>>
>>1219212
Just go to the first class.

In any martial art, if you have zero experience in anything and try to learn from books/videos, there's a good chance you'll develop bad habits. Those will take way longer to unlearn than if you just never developed the bad habits in the first place.

After the first class, once you have a remedial idea of what you should be doing, then you can start practicing on your own more productively.
>>
>>1220317
If you do HEMA you're supposed to do Historical European Martial Art. If you change it it becomes Modern American Combat Sport or whatever. It may work or it may not, but it's not HEMA.
>>
Be safe around sharps
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3549512/Sword-removed-man-s-chest-shocking-video-Spain.html
>>
How much and how hard do you train in your clubs?
>>
>>1219212
HEMA's a very good place to start with martial arts. I'd say the majority of beginners are totally knew and you work up from footwork to structure and bodymechanics methodically rather than piecing them together from bad experiences like alot of ring sports.
>>
>>1221000
Definitely not enough, sadly.
>>
>>1221000
I could go 4 times a week or 9 hours in total, but mostly I only train twice a week, 5 hours in total.
>>
File: HEMAFAGS.jpg (28KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
HEMAFAGS.jpg
28KB, 500x303px
I want to travel around the uk a bit soon, any other bongs here?
>>
File: Grep.jpg (4KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
Grep.jpg
4KB, 100x100px
>>1211765
I see what you did there.
>>
>>1220104
Well, the HEMA group I attend is also a sport fencing group. Some of the instructors teach both.

That counts for something.
>>
>>1221000
I'm still pretty new. I can only get to their longsword class once every two weeks, at best. The classes are 3-4 hours.

I try to get some solid solo drilling in for one hour every week.
>>
>>1222256
Yea if you intend on visiting lots of clubs make sure to contact them in advance because finding them can be a nightmare.
>>
>>1222256
I'm going to visit the Astolat Open this summer, we might run into each other there.
>>
>>1224539
Make sure to tell everyone you're the guy from 4chan
>>
>>1224577
that will go down well.
>>
>>1224577
>>1224903
Confirmed for tournament virgins, its obvious you guys never spent 3 days in the dorm of a major European tournament. Many of folks seem to kinda like 4chan, the amount of knowledge on /d/ and /mlp/ topics is evidence enough.
>>
>>1225506
>dorm
>cannot even afford room in hotel
Australian spotted.
>>
>>1225520
I can afford hotels, it is just way more fun in the dorm. That plus after the afterparty you have just a short way to either pass out or do something for the future of HEMA.
>>
>>1225506
> *hasn't been doing this very long*
> *is not confident of skills yet*
>>
>>1220294
>Yurop has the bigger tournament scene
>Yurop is more in danger of sporterizing HEMA than America is
I agree that we'll never remove Fencing from the Olympics. But I do want to see HEMA get to that level of fame, and I want to see sport fencing become more realistic. And I want to see all the sword related activities become more popular.
>>1220610
You forget the flaws of studying these texts as martial arts. Mainly that we'll never use swords in our real lives.
Approaching it as a serious martial art helps us to put the system into context. But remembering that your testing environment is only ever going to be sparring and tournaments helps you to not drink kool aid.

HEMA isn't a real martial art. It is a historic study of martial arts from Europe. It is an attempt to recreate those old martial arts in their original contexts. If you want to learn how to not get stabbed or beaten up, go take the plethora of modern martial arts available to you. If you want to learn how to use swords, which have no practical use, keep doing HEMA.
>>1223352
Judging by these posts, that does. I just hope to keep working with sport fencers to build up both our communities and unique activities.
>>
>>1224539
i'm sorting out going now, not competing though, whats your club?
>>
>>1225520
>Australian spotted.
SH-SHUT THE FUCK UP M8!
>;_;
>>
>>1226820
>not competing
Just going for the good food then?
>>
>>1228385
never been to a tournament before, as well as medical shit that doesn't wont go away, just want to talk with folks about it even if that means going across the country for a day or two.
>>
>>1220626
That was a retard. Like, literal retard. Apparently he said he got confused.
>>
Fucking Talhoffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnQbj8c5OLs
>>
>>1228627
That's freaking cool
>>
>>1228627
Just checked the channel, those Spanish dudes know a thing or two about fencing.
>>
>>1228664
I'd say it's the best club in the country except in rapier.

Pity most of them are a bit lazy about attending events.
>>
How do courses work in your clubs? Do your instructors always follow the students or do the students eventually start studying on their own after getting good enough? I'd like my students to start working on what they like after the mandatory courses, but it's not happening despite being encouraged to. They just expect the instuctors to do everything for them. I realized I have little to zero time for my personal progress. Wat do?
>>
>>1232409
They paid for that. Why would they pay if you don't teach them?
>>
>>1232416
I don't want to make them do everything on their own. I teach them basic and advanced courses. But if they want deeper insights on something or to learn new weapons, I'd like them do move their asses. I can't teach them more than what I know and I can't learn more if I have no time for it. Whoever wants to get to a good level should do some works himself, it's no good to rely only on another person's interpretation of the sources, and that's why I'd like experienced students to make the study groups they like.

Also they don't pay for the courses, just the insurance and the gym we train in. I don't get money and I pay just as everyone else.
>>
>>1232409
>>1232433
I can't help, but i'm on the same boat.
>>
>>1232433
I'm still a noob, but when Iget better it would be interesting try to do some work alone, I think the problem is that maybe they don't know where to start? What would you advise them to do, for example?
>>
>>1232481
Know what you want to do. May it be very specific or general, doesn't matter. You have to have your point clear.

Find the treatise/s and/or manual/s you will work on. Many are on wiktenauer or around the web.

Find books, articles, videos and stuff from people who already studied it. Don't take them as the absolute truth. They help you understand faster the original sources so you can get your own conclusions. Also don't rely only on one interpretation, the more you know the best it is.

Try the techniques you read/watched and focus on getting the general concepts the techniques are made on. You can make drills and exercises based on the concepts you got.

If it works, well done. If it doesn't work, try with different interpretations.

Get the help of at least a partner. Hive mind has a wider vision, and you will understand things better and learn them faster.
>>
>>1232481
>>1232499
Also, working on your own doesn't mean the instructors will abandon you. You can ask them tips any time on how to get a group work, how to study, etc.
>>
>>1232409
>>1232433
It might take some hand holding at first. You might try starting one study group that a lot of people are interested in, walk everyone through the process while trying to be as un-instructor-like as possible, so they understand that you aren't really necessary to the process, and then once it's up to speed and going well, have some of the more advanced students take the lead on it while you slowly back out.

It's a bit of a pain, but if you can get one going, hopefully the others would start themselves a lot more easily.

>>1225554
underrated post
>>
>>1234411
Thanks, I'll try.
>>
>Matt Easton doesn't know everything
>Matt Easton isn't always right
What did he mean by that?
>>
File: matt easton.gif (1006KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
matt easton.gif
1006KB, 320x180px
>>1235529
It means he doesn't know everything and isn't always right.
>>
File: 4686464541313.png (125KB, 655x490px) Image search: [Google]
4686464541313.png
125KB, 655x490px
>>1235529
>/tg/ and /k/ armchair experts on suicide watch.

The best thing about that video is the suggested links. Who knew he had such an extensive music career.
>>
>>1235539
I need to watch this video.
>>
File: hi guys matt easton here.png (62KB, 652x477px) Image search: [Google]
hi guys matt easton here.png
62KB, 652x477px
>>1235555
Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwX2kkeMEOk
>>
>>1235600
>pic
This is not okay.
>>
File: img_2153_1532.jpg (468KB, 1532x1532px) Image search: [Google]
img_2153_1532.jpg
468KB, 1532x1532px
anyone own any Albion swords? the poitiers or other one handed swords specifically.
>>
>>1236243
Handled one (forgot which) last weekend.

Was alright, I guess? I'm too much of an idiot to tell the difference from that one to any other production sword.
>>
>>1236511
im having a copy made, poorfag here.
>>
Who makes tournament-legal swords for I.33 in Europe? I know Regenyei and Berbekucz, any other?
Also, whose sword would you recommend?
>>
>>1236675
Between those two? Regenyei by far. I have a Berbekucz that's perfectly alright, but all the Regenyei Federn I've handled so far were just plain better.

He's got Berbekucz beat on delivery times and customer service, too.
>>
>>1236765
I've seen Regenyei's one handed "feder". It's fucking weird. Really long, huge handle, maybe it'd be good for Meyer's rappier, but i don't think it's the right tool for I.33.
>>
>>1236803
I've seen it too, but he also makes a so called "I.33 sword". Which actually looks more like an Oakeshott XV instead of a more appropriate XII, but it still works good enough.
>>
>>1236765
>Berbekucz
>alright
not even once
>>
>>1236765
>Between those two?
Not necessarely. If you know other reliable blacksmiths you would recommend, let me know. Thanks for the tips, btw.
>>1236906
Have you had a bad experience with Berbecucz swords? What happened?
>>
>>1181829
Please remember this in the next thread.
>>
>>1236935
I've just seen too many of his swords being shit. Then again most of his stuff is bought by reenactros and made to those standards not for HEMA. So his HEMA swords MIGHT be different but I just seen too many below average shit from him which sometimes breaks. Way too often to my liking
>>
>>1238261
I haven't seen anything break yet. They're not great, but i'd say they're adequate for the price.

That said the flexible feder is perhaps a bit too flexible and the rigid one a bit too rigid for my tastes.

Some of his HEMA swords are a bit weird to be labelled like that since they're really stiff (the HEMA sword), but i guess if you want a blunt on the long side they work.
>>
is kovex ars any good?
>>
>>1239064
Does he make HEMA swords other than reenactment ones?
>>
>>1239082
i dont know, after one for test cutting, plus you can request it blunt (i think)
>>
>>1239064
They're mostly for reenactment, used to be a tad chunky as is often the case. The pictures look like ass, they look better in person.
>>
>>1238271
Ditto here, I personally do not like them, but some folks in my clubs love them, and so far they hold up and also the price is right.
>>
>>1185615
french here, nylon or shinai, but never only steel if you have newbies. You can't ask 1200€ from someone that didn't really try the sport before.
>>
BUMP LIMIT REACHED
NEW THREAD HERE: >>1241154

BUMP LIMIT REACHED

BUMP LIMIT REACHED
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.