[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tai Chi Chuan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Tai_Chi2.jpg (102KB, 2435x1722px) Image search: [Google]
Tai_Chi2.jpg
102KB, 2435x1722px
I just read that Tai Chi has been used as a form of self defense for thousands of years by taoist monks.

Is this a legitimate way to defend yourself, or would it fall apart in a real life situation?
>>
>>1099878
Yes
>>
>>1099880
Could you elaborate?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw5mn15xv5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iw4xFD-47Q
>>
>>1099878
taoist monks lived high in the mountains
so when whoever wanted to fight them reached the top of the mountain, he was exhausted by the trip and lack of oxygen
so monks could easily beat them with tai chi, yes
>>
>>1099930
Makes sense.
>>
>>1099878

Good TCC is awesome for self defense. Solid defense, strong strikes from unexpected angles, decent throws, and surprisingly good clinch work.

Unfortunately, most TCC is terrible. A lot of it is just arm waving for exercise with no actual applications and even some of the schools that think they're solid on applications are outright delusional.

It's not perfect but my rule of thumb is that the #1 indicator of bad TCC is someone who only does TCC. Someone like Wim Demeere who does TCC but also does a hard style/boxing/MMA is going to have a much better sense of what Tai Chi applications stand a chance of actually working and which ones are wishful thinking than someone trapped in a one-art echo chamber.
>>
it's garbage. If you don't believe me try to find a single video of anyone trained in tai chi winning a real fight with it on the internet against anyone who would remotely pose a real physical threat.

Martial arts which don't spar properly are just dancing. the only way to get good at hitting people is to hit people. You can't get good at something by pretending to do it but not actually doing it. And stuff like tai chi is just pretending to do.

People who tell you otherwise are dreaming and cannot substantiate their claims, they will try to confuse you with long-winded pedantic arguments which support Kung fu movie fantasies.
>>
>>1099996
>If you don't believe me try to find a single video of anyone trained in tai chi winning a real fight with it on the internet against anyone who would remotely pose a real physical threat.
Stopped reading there.
>is posting b8
or
>can't in to logic
Either way it's bullshit.
saged
>>
>>1099878
judo is more tai chi then tai chi
>>
>>1099996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy3-P142cqM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Osipczak

"Supernova" Nick Osipczak is an MMA figher and instructor who reps TCC but cross-trains heavily. All his UFC losses were decisions.

His tactics are Tai Chi, especially his timing and angles, but it's pretty clear from the video this isn't just a guy who lifts his leg up, waves his arms around, and says "in a real fight this would be a knee strike." This guy knows how to actually throw the knee
>>
>>1100014
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy3-P142cqM
where's the tai chi?

I see a lot of boxing, wrestling and kick boxing in there.even with his angle cutting and footwork its all what you see in the usual spec of wrestling/kick boxing.
>>
>>1100008
Yeah it's easier to just run from a challenge than met it.

Go on. Jump on YouTube. See what you can find. Just for your own interests sake.
>>
>>1100018

There's a lot of subtle stuff. Watch how he baits out an attack and then moves in with a deflection off the front side and an attack from the rear. There's a good example of how he uses snake-like body mechanics for a bearhug takedown around the one minute mark.

When he launches a punch flurry watch how he's not really popping them out and then pulling them back but he's sort of moving both fists on the same circle back and forth. That "sawing" mechanic is right out of the basic form but he's doing a great job showing what it looks like in real life.

At about the 2 minute mark he's got two great punches where he throws an overhand and then ducks behind it as he's throwing it.

Around 3:15 he rides an elbow to set up his own elbow. You can see the same "overtaking" tactic even better at 3:40.

And actually seeing somebody stop a haymaker with a backwards leaning leg kick immediately after is just nice.

It's not whirly kung fu movie stuff and he's not waving his arms trying to throw ki bullets but his punches, kicks, and takedowns are being informed by TCC strategy and mechanics. They're still punches, kicks, and takedowns.
>>
>>1100035
all these components are the basics and fundamentals of boxing, kickboxing and MMA, no trying to offend you. But in a way if you do good fundamental wrestling, boxing kickboxing your practically doing the "techniques" of tai chi.

All 3 core components not only do what tai chi "focuses on" but excels and teaches it better and enhances the technique without the eastern magic silliness.

I'm sorry but if you think you can learn how to fight with taichi i'm calling bs, take 3 months of any of the core components of MMA and you'll probably learn more and fight better then several years worth of TCC.
>>
ITT confirmation bias.

Literally like trying to convince the religious to re-evaluate their beliefs. You can't convince the Chinese martial arts believers of anything sensible no matter what you do.
>>
>>1100040

I don't mean to offend you but it seems like all you're after is the eastern magic.

There are guys out there that are using TCC to teach solid mechanics that lead to solid applications. By virtue of solidity a lot of it is going to be very similar to what other arts do, and what is distinct isn't going to be that noticeably different. Western boxing doesn't usually teach a front-hand corkscrew punch but a lot of boxers use it anyway. Tai Chi does teach a front-hand corkscrew punch in the form but a lot of Tai Chi teachers don't realize what it does and what it's good for and don't bother.

A good Tai Chi teacher with a diverse background can take you as far in 12 lessons as anyone else can, but probably not much farther. There's a lot of charlatans and rip-off artists who just teach weird poses and strange games they made up and swear the actual skills will magically appear years down the road but they don't. That's just charlatans stalling for time.

Ultimately I think what you're really after is a tape of the rip-off stuff working. But you're never going to see that because that what makes it the rip-off stuff. Stuff that works tends to look like all the other stuff that works.
>>
>>1100035
>The only time Tai Chi works is when you don't use Tai Chi techniques but incorporate them into MMA.

Got it.
>>
>>1100053
Basically this, and the fact that 99%+ of Tai Chi practitioners are just doing the Yang style 24 form with light pushing hands for health purposes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'd also say that there's a good measure of echo chamber Chinese exceptionalism (if you don't understand fa jing how can your western boxing hurt me!) to it as well. That said, I think even decent teachers could be more practical in their teaching of applications.

Source: I'm living in Taiwan studying Chen style (I suck), and I think it's definitely improved my form in Karate (Kyokushin) and Muay Thai. I've also started cross training in boxing and kickboxing, so we'll see what happens there.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.