[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Distance Running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: marathon.jpg (3MB, 4640x3112px) Image search: [Google]
marathon.jpg
3MB, 4640x3112px
How about a distance running thread?

Anybody here do this? Any races just completed or coming up?

I'm working on getting into shape at present, and I'm signed up for a 5k 10 weeks from now.
>>
>>1099482
I plan on running the Pyongyang Marathon in 2018, but I'm barely in 5k shape right now because I'm a lazy depressed piece of shit.
>>
>>1099482
Did XC in highschool what sort of routine you doing to prep for it? How out of shape are you? 10 weeks is probably enough for a 5k unless you're literally obese or you were a chain smoker
>>
>>1099633
You can do it, anon!
>>1099676
I'm doing couch to 5k so I should be able to run it in 8 weeks, but the event is in 10 so that's when I'll be running it. I'm a bit overweight, but watching calories now and looking forward to slimming down a bit too.
>>
Is it possible to maintain ottermode rather than scrawny-mode while doing distance running?
>>
>>1100798
Yes depending on your diet. You're probably going to lose some mass though
>>
>>1100801
I'm fine with that. I'm chubby and trying to lose weight, but ultimately, as a long-term goal, I'd like to both look like pic related AND be able to run a marathon.

Right now I'm just getting ready for a 5k this summer and then a 10k this fall.
>>
>2016
>not running marathons
>>
>>1101546
>running marathons
>not joining a local running/track club and competing in meets
Overweight jogger detected. Nice participation medals.
>>
>>1101700
>being retarded

keep that long-term marathon in mind, and don't become what that guy talks about

a bit over a year ago, I started trying to get in better shape. I ran i college and lost a bunch of weight, but had put it back on in the subsequent 5-10 years

gradual increases is the key. are you running indoors or outdoors? i'd run down a street by my house, and try to run to a point and back. then the next day, i'd run 20 yards further before turning around. honestly, don't go by the numbers unless you're doing a treadmill. in the first few jogs, calibrate how far you can run.
>don't base distance on arbitrary numbers
>base it on how well you can perform

with that in mind, don't fucking hurt yourself. i wrestled growing up, and at the end of practice, we'd do "overtime" where we worked out really hard for a brief period of time (what essentially became HIT and HIIT training). i tried this with running, and it is a BAD idea. if you pull something, get a muscle tear, or anything like that, it's going to set you back. a hundred yards, or even 20 for a beginner, of intense exercise isn't going to make an impact on your health/weight. hurting yourself will have a huge impact. also, don't try and add too much distance too quickly, for the same reason. go with what your body can do - not what you feel you're supposed to do.
>>
>>1101712

also, focus on distance early on. if you have to jog slowly, don't worry about it. it's not a good idea to try and increase speed and distance simultaeously

first, work your way up to long distances - in your case, reach that 5k mark (I'd suggest going up to 4 miles, where you can comfortably do that at least a few days a week. personally, I like 2 on, 1 off for running). Once you get to that distance, keep doing that distance and get used to it. Then start worrying about speed. Don't try and sprint the whole way, just try and increase your tempo a bit each time - the same way you gradually increase your distance. If you get used to running 4 miles, you can lower it to 3.1 while working on speed. But don't do this until you've gotten used to running and reached the distance you want to reach. Don't try and run faster and longer both, because you don't want to hurt yourself
>>
Running a long way feels so good. I love it.

Assuming peak fitness, what would be the furthest I could run literally every day if I didn't want long-term damage?
>>
File: 1457815761839s.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1457815761839s.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>>1099633
>Pyongyang
>>
>>1103536
Depends on your shoes, your form what sort of surface you're running on.

You don't want to be overdoing it, though for sure but as long as your technique isn't garbage and your shoes aren't an ill-fitting mess I doubt you'll run into too many problems. My high school coach did a 5k every morning on the trails behind the school and he was 55ish
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.