[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial arts thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 50

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Style and experience appreciated
>mi tsung lo han northern shoalin
>7 years
pic not related
>>
>>1082681
Let's see your technique, faggot.
Show us a combo or something.
>>
>>1082691
you still there?
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 600x750px
>>
>>1082704
Why do you ask?
>>
File: fat-starwars-kid-o.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
fat-starwars-kid-o.gif
1MB, 320x240px
I've got a stick that's almost 6ft long and I want to dance around with it in my backyard like a martial artist that's pretending to do combat but is really just doing some stuff that might be useful in some situations with a lot of fancy and non-practical stuff thrown in.
What are some forms I could do?
>>
File: 1458176061057.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1458176061057.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>
File: pug life.webm (555KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
pug life.webm
555KB, 360x360px
>>
File: 1426 - Rin Tetzuka.jpg (184KB, 784x1019px) Image search: [Google]
1426 - Rin Tetzuka.jpg
184KB, 784x1019px
Let's say you were born without arms, and you did Taekwondo from a young age.
How well do you think you'd do against Boxers and Kickboxers?

You would have to use your feet or mouth for everything your hands would do, so your feet would be extremely coordinated.
>>
>>1082917
I'm being completely serious.
>>
File: hammer fist.jpg (161KB, 490x630px) Image search: [Google]
hammer fist.jpg
161KB, 490x630px
>>
File: bullets.jpg (77KB, 550x448px) Image search: [Google]
bullets.jpg
77KB, 550x448px
>>
>>1083003
you'd be even more fucked agaisnt boxers than regular tkd guys, you dont have anything to guard your face with
>>
File: AliHeadMovement.gif (3MB, 453x350px) Image search: [Google]
AliHeadMovement.gif
3MB, 453x350px
>>1084190
>you dont have anything to guard your face with
Head movement and footwork.
>>
>>1084206
you seriously think you can get as good head movement as ali without boxing?
>>
>>1082681
Lanklet here. Any martial arts that take advantage of height and reach?
>>
>>1084213
muay thai, boxing
really you can exploit your height and reach in most martial arts in some way
>>
>>1084213

>>1084214
>you can exploit your height and reach in most martial arts in some way
2nded
>>
>>1084212
Would it really be Boxing if you're just training head movement?
>>
>>1084213
Any striking art, especially muay thai

>t. fellow lanklet
>>
>Wrestling - 5 years
>Boxing - 1 year
>BJJ/judo/muay thai - 2 months
>>
File: th3IM867HT.jpg (8KB, 300x251px) Image search: [Google]
th3IM867HT.jpg
8KB, 300x251px
Has someone invented a leg-kick attachment for punching bags, yet?

What I propose is:
>two legs that attach to the bag
>made a little vague so it can be switch from orthodox to southpaw
>purpose: simulate human anatomy more closely so the user can better practice a variety of leg kicks, including inside leg kicks

The Wing Chun leg thing in pic related just doesn't cut it, one of the reasons being because a lot of hanging punching bags aren't 5-7ft tall.
>>
>>1085338
>Would it really be Boxing if you're just training head movement?
I guess you could say Armless is doing TKD with a little Boxing on the side.
>>
>>1082917
>not making your own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmosFYT_uE
>>
>>1082681
5 Years of BJJ+catch wrestling+shoot wrestling+folkstyle wrestling
About 4 of Muay Thai (Stopped doing it)

>>1089755
Century has several in their Verys series. Not sure how well they work (they are pretty light). However, the new one (in the middle) looks more sturdy.
>>
I remember when I was in elementary school, and some kid heavy on theory who wouldn't spar me said you couldn't kick anyone below the thigh.
I don't remember who I was sparring with, or if we were just running a drill (I kick, you try to check, type thing), or whatever, but I clearly remember kicking someone in the calf.

Nobody expects a calf kick.
>>
>>1090495
Calf kicks can be pretty good. The fibula is a pretty small bone and can be broken.

If you remember, maybe 2 months ago a guy won a prelim fight in the UFC by chopping up the other guys calves. I was pretty happy to see it since it is something I have long worked since seeing the STX Kickboxing DVDs.
>>
>>1090430
>century versys vs.bob
>$500
Another reason why I proposed the bag attachment.

>get a bag for maybe $60
>could get a good one used for $40 if you looked hard enough
>get bag attachment for more or less $60

>similar function for $100-120

>get arms attachment for another $60 or so

>very similar for just around $160-180

>decide you want it to stand on it's own
>get a used punching bag stand for around $50
>maybe new for $100

>$210 to $280

You'd be paying an extra $220 or so just for a rubber face and a manly figure.

It's not bad if you're a rich-fag, but not everybody is a rich-fag.
>>
>>1090430
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plf6upW_ru4
>the groin strikes
kek
>>
>>1090549
That actually looks pretty fun, but something makes me feel like he's going light on his hits.
>>
File: 891.jpg (103KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
891.jpg
103KB, 640x640px
>>1090530
>search YouTube
>doesn't look like there's anyone who posted the DVDs
>a bunch of free samples

>see how much it costs
>$170
>mfw
>>
File: paulson_01[2].jpg (5KB, 150x148px) Image search: [Google]
paulson_01[2].jpg
5KB, 150x148px
>>1090556
Yah, that's why I said I don't know how well they work. When I saw videos of the original Verys bags I noticed that they seemed to be hitting it pretty lightly. Combined which knowing that it was relatively light in weight, I thought it might not be very sturdy. The new Bob at least looks like it would be more sturdy.

>>1090575
There is a shitload of content on them from one of the best MMA coaches in the world (5 DVDs).

Or you can join his paysite and you can access all of his DVDs+more stuff. Thousands of videos.
>>
>>1082681
>>mi tsung lo han northern shoalin
Tell us more about this type of Shaolin.
>>
to have a style is to have failed as a martial artist
>>
>>1090848
Care to elaborate?
>>
File: poll straw.jpg (165KB, 699x711px) Image search: [Google]
poll straw.jpg
165KB, 699x711px
Straw Poll time.

What do/have you practice(d)?

http://www.strawpoll.me/7140243
>>
File: Straws of Poll.jpg (125KB, 695x387px) Image search: [Google]
Straws of Poll.jpg
125KB, 695x387px
Do you consider yourself to be a freestyle fighter?

http://strawpoll.me/7140284
>>
>>1082681
>pic not related
Nonsense; martial artists are like flowers.
>>
>>1090853
martial arts should be formless and contextual, rigidity and specialization is a waste, fight sports are garbage
bjj, judo, boxing, "mma" are all trash because they are meant to be played as games
There is no such thing as a mixed martial artist, only people who know how to fight and people who don't. Chew on that one for a second.

I will reiterate, unless you are prepared with skills for all phases of combat you don't know how to fight and your martial art is shit. Anyone who compartmentalizes their training to this type of striking, this type of grappling, wrestling and jiujitsu are different, kickboxing and karate are different, is a retard
everything has usable techniques, everything has redundant garbage techniques nobody should ever waste their time learning.
Striking should always be practiced with the threat of grappling present, and grappling should always be practiced with the threat of striking present. People need to stop treating them like they are different, it's all part of the fight, you need to learn it all at the same time not independently of each other and then try to mash it together later.
>>
>>1084206
>Get hit in body repeatedly
>can't move as quickly

Without arms you would be pretty fucked

I imagine in a tae kwon do rules tournament you could get away with exceptional skills .
>>
>>1090897
Do you want to fight? Where do you live?
>>
>>1090897
I more or less agree with the second paragraph.
>>
>>1090897
>People need to stop treating them like they are different, it's all part of the fight
But they are different.
They're part of games, like you said.
>>
I realize how stupid this sounds /asp/ but I've been watching a lot of kung fu movies lately and shit like daredevil and I really want to give martial arts a try. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>1090985
Kung fu will get you killed.
Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai would be great for striking.
>>
>>1090985

If you want to dance around, while punching, kicking, and maybe using weapons, consider Wushu.

If you want something less flashy and dancey, but a badass Chinese martial art, consider Sanda/Sanshou, which is combat sport Wushu.
>>
>>1090992
>Kung fu will get you killed.
Sanda/Sanshou is Kung Fu, and it holds its own against Muay Thai pretty well.
>>
File: Daredevil.png (2MB, 1600x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Daredevil.png
2MB, 1600x1050px
>>1090985
Daredevil is mostly Boxing based, he also mixes other arts but can't remember which.
>>
>>1090897
Nice use of vocabulary and posting style.

Are you the same anon who posted his hand wraps?
>>
>>1090871
>clicked on some MAs
>forgot to select MMA
>>
Since mixing grappling and striking was brought up, what are some ways you like to mix grappling and striking?

What are some ways you've seen people mix grappling and striking?
>>
File: 116dvc.gif (2MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
116dvc.gif
2MB, 260x146px
>>1091372
>>
>>1090897

>everything has usable techniques, everything has redundant garbage techniques nobody should ever waste their time learning.

You're oversimplifying things.
Who is to tell what techniques are useful?

In every martial art you learn serveral tools and it's up to the fighter himself which tools he puts to use.

One guy may have a devastating powerfull roundhouse kick (crocop), the next guy may have sneaky and accurate kicks (machida), the next guy doesn't use kicks at all.

Judo has about 70 throws (not counting the endless variation) and there is not a single Judoka who is amazing with every single one of them. But for every throw you can find a martial artist (not only Judoka, but also general martial artists) who uses exactly this throw with a lot of success.

>Striking should always be practiced with the threat of grappling present, and grappling should always be practiced with the threat of striking present.

This will only lead to being shit at both. You need to isolate parts, you need to get good at striking and grappling and THEN put them together. It's liek three differnt arts: striking, grappling and the transition.

As history has shown, whenever a really good grappler enterd MMA, they took a few month of standup and where ready to go. Same goes for striking.
Did Royce Gracie sweep away every fighter because he was so "well balanced"? Or had Igor Vovchanchyn been feared because he was the best grappler ever? No, but because they had one discipline they were almost impossible to defeat in.

>People need to stop treating them like they are different, it's all part of the fight, you need to learn it all at the same time not independently of each other and then try to mash it together later.

Every single style that trained like this is sub par. You need to develop your skills, you need assets. Nobody fears a "jack of all trades, master of none". You need to excell at something while also being able to play along at the other parts.
>>
File: 1423494551934.jpg (751KB, 1712x2771px) Image search: [Google]
1423494551934.jpg
751KB, 1712x2771px
>>1090985

>Can someone point me in the right direction?

You're welcome.
>>
>>1091637
>you need to get good at striking and grappling and THEN put them together
that's the same argument shit teachers give when they tell you to "perfect the techniques on your right side, then start practicing them on your left" It's an archaic thought process that hinders fighters, you can even see this in the UFC (which is a joke in itself, however there are lessons to be observed) when an ambidextrous fighters that can switch sides with ease run a train on the ones that have a good side and a bad side.
striking and grappling should be used in seamless combination with each other and shouldn't be taught as separate entities. The only reason they are is to protect traditions and pure styles which we all know is bullshit, every single pure style is nonsense, distillations of something that was once complete so the ignorant masses could digest it.
BJJ and boxing are the same bullshit on different ends of the spectrum
>bjj
>starts as japanese jujitsu
>striking and grappling working together
>striking gets taken out of the equation for safety so people can play
>becomes judo
>eh these judo throws are too hard
>becomes bjj
>ok now lets find a way to make this work without ever using strikes instead of just integrating strikes again
>90% of the moves you will never need to know
>not like it matters because 90% of the moves can't even be done without a gi or at best a coat on
>I guess people wear coats a lot in tropical brazil so its super practical for the street guys!
there is no reason to ever learn how to do an ezekiel choke from mount. If you get mount just punch the shit out of the guy and drop elbows on him, that's the only consistent way to finish someone from that position

boxing is the same shit in the opposite direction
>everyone punches by default when they fight, its a matter of instinct
>hmm ok lets build on this and see if we can make the punches more effective
>have some good punches now, that's enough, lets just stop developing this any further
>>
>>1091835

You didn't practice at all, we can see it :)
>>
>>1091852
I know for sure I practice more than most people here and I have done everything. I can see what works and what doesn't.
it's not a mystery why highschool wrestlers can make easy work of bjj purple belts in their 20s as soon as the gi is taken out of the equation. so many people spend hours upon hours learning the useless bjj moves that are reliant on clothing instead of the ones that just work, period, end of story. Wrestlers at least have all of their moves available to them at all times, however once they pin you they don't know what to do with you since that's where their match stops, so that is also worthless on it's own.
Boxing is great as soon as someone is allowed to use kicks or grab on to them, and karate is awesome assuming the person you are fighting has terrible form which you can exploit. But then how about when they don't?
>>
>>1091879
>what is no-gi bjj?
>>
>>1091835

Again you're oversimplifying things.

>bjj
>starts as japanese jujitsu

..which also included stuff like various weapons, exotic finger break techniques and everything.

>striking gets taken out of the equation for safety so people can play
>becomes judo

JJ had a bad reputation and was a dying art. Also Judo took stuff out that couldn't be trained at 100%, because "muh eye gouge" might work on the street but not for training. Because either I always do "imaginary movements" so I don't know what work and what doesnt - Or I fuck up my training partners so than no one wants to train with me anymore.

>eh these judo throws are too hard
>becomes bjj

It was more about the observation, that the ground game (of Judo) was suited for overcoming strength or physical disadvantages. Once I close in I can nullify strikes or at least make them less dangerous. Also BJJ got a lot of influence from Lucha Livre (because they constantly fought each other and develloped further and further) and some wrestling.

And shame on you for making a Judoka having to defend BJJ !!1!
-_-"

>ok now lets find a way to make this work without ever using strikes instead of just integrating strikes again
>90% of the moves you will never need to know

I think it was Roger Gracie who said that 80% of BJJ is useless for MMA. Which might be true. But that doesn't mean it's not worth training the rest. Like you have a basic set of movements which is enough to win against a striker. But then you train for beating somoneone who is a grappler. Then you train for someone who is able to beat a grappler.. You know what I mean? It's not only about refining skills, it's also about getting counter measures against counter measures.. and so on.

>not like it matters because 90% of the moves can't even be done without a gi or at best a coat on
>I guess people wear coats a lot in tropical brazil so its super practical for the street guys!

That's why BJJ includes Gi and No-Gi training.
>>
>>1091936
submission wrestling
>>
>>1091852
>>1091936
>shitposting
>>
>>1091637
>Who is to tell what techniques are useful?
Yeah, that also contradicts a previous statement.

When you take a martial art, and throw out some things, rather than having the larger move set to pull form, so you can "flow" through situations with different techniques, you're limiting your move set, making yourself more rigid, and specializing.
>>
>>1091943
>It was more about the observation, that the ground game (of Judo) was suited for overcoming strength or physical disadvantages. Once I close in I can nullify strikes or at least make them less dangerous. Also BJJ got a lot of influence from Lucha Livre (because they constantly fought each other and develloped further and further) and some wrestling
>influence from Lucha Livre
>Lucha Livre
m8 there isn't even such a thing lol
>>
>>1090597
>Or you can join his paysite and you can access all of his DVDs+more stuff. Thousands of videos.
Good to know.
>>
>>1091879
Out of curiosity, how do you train? And how would you recommend someone to train to become a proficient fighter?
>>
>>1091879

>>1092112
>how do you train?
>how would you recommend someone to train to become a proficient fighter

>>1092112
I, too, would like to know your thoughts on the matter.
Also, what are your thoughts on how much time practitioners should spend on physical conditioning, knowledge, technique, drills, and sparring?
>>
>>1091879

>>1092112
>how do you train?
>how would you recommend someone to train to become a proficient fighter

>>1091879
I, too, would like to know your thoughts on the matter.
Also, what are your thoughts on how much time practitioners should spend on physical conditioning, knowledge, technique, drills, and sparring?
>>
>>1090897
>>1091296
From the Boxing General.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0A8ROQW1w
3:20

Personally, I prefer not to drop my level for body shots.
Mainly because it makes it easier to get hit in the face, and because I like to lower my arm as if chambering a punch.
I like to lower my arm for body shots because of the telegraph.
I like to use the telegraph as a fake, and I prefer that over making my head a lower target.
It also seems like lowering one's self like in the gif makes it easier to get a standing guillotine.
>>
>>1092190
there are a multitude of ways to prevent getting clinched or front headlock while hitting the body it does rely on you cutting angles and using footworks as you move around, perhaps that variant might not work but there is a plethora of other angles to do body punches.
>>
>>1092222
>there are a multitude of ways to prevent getting clinched or front headlock while hitting the body
You mean while using similar methods to the gif, right?

>relying on cutting angles and using footwork
I don't disagree, but I still prefer the method I posted.
My style of fighting uses fakes and feints heavily.
>>
Dudes, I just found this kickass training music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRyjkYdDxM
>>
>>1092112
the first step to being a good fighter is to learn how to be a good student. If you need a coach you still have a lot to learn
in order to be a good student you should be able to observe a move, break it down, learn it, and know how to apply it without anyone ever formally teaching it to you
and that takes experience, so what you need to do it learn some basics and then take matches and fight for your life until you understand exactly how fighting really works

I would never enter a fight with a plan, I will walk in and look for my moments, identify where the other persons shortcomings are, and then operate to take advantage of them.
>imma fuckin drop that guy and choke him out
is what meat heads that can only follow orders do
I on the other hand will see what happens and know I am comfortable where ever this fight may go
>>
>>1092577
>I would never enter a fight with a plan, I will walk in and look for my moments, identify where the other persons shortcomings are, and then operate to take advantage of them.
Personally, I walk in with a plan of generally staying just outside of standing kicking range, and avoiding grappling.
However, I then learn about my opponent during combat, and adjust accordingly.
So, my basic strengths are utilized (generally, staying outside and countering; I think countering is the right term to use), as well as my knowledge and intelligence.
>>
File: forbking.jpg (2MB, 1800x2775px) Image search: [Google]
forbking.jpg
2MB, 1800x2775px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-1lgnGULg
>>
>>1092871

Gung Fu: hard work over time to accomplish skill.
A painter can have Gung Fu can have Gung Fu,
or the butcher who cuts meat ever day with such a skill,
his knife never touches bone.
Learn the form, but seek the formless,
hear the soundless,
learn it all, and forget it all.
Learn the way, and find your own way.
The musician can have Gung Fu,
or the poet who paints pictures with words
and makes emporors weep, this too, is Gung Fu.
But do not name it, my friend, for it is like water.
Nothing is softer than water, yet, it can overcome rock,
it does not fight, it flows around the opponent.
Formeless, nameless, the true master dwells within,
only you can free him.
>>
File: bruce lee story.jpg (101KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
bruce lee story.jpg
101KB, 960x600px
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 456x322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 456x322px
>teenagers shit talking the effectiveness of training methodologies utilised by professional fighters who train 6 hours every day and who have to utilise the most effective training methods otherwise they can't afford to feed their families when they lose

Absolute autism
>>
>>1092967
Just like how teenagers are managing people who've professionally worked at grocery stores 5 days a week for more than 10 years, right?
>>
>>1083829
>dbz reference halfway through
I was expecting it way earlier
>>
>>1093305
No not like that at all. What. Lol.
>>
>>1092967
Once upon a time, there was a faggot named Moot. Moot was a professional UFC fighter, respected by other UFC fighters. Mood developed training methodologies, and trained for 6 hours every day. Some UFC enthusiasts said that Moot's training methodologies were the most effective training methods ever.
Eventually, Moot got a 42-5-0, 3NC UFC fight record. As Moot grew older, Moot's physical condition was slowly but surly deteriorating, and he was less physical fit than the young new UFC fighters. Moot decided to quite fighting in the UFC, and then Moot decided to start training UFC fighters. Moot taught over 20 students, all using his respected training methodologies. Moot's students grew to become great UFC fighters. Yotsuba, Moot's star pupil, was the best UFC fighter in the state. Yotsuba quickly developed a 20-0-5- 1NC UFC fight record. Yotsuba eventually left Moot's school, and created his own school. Yotsuba continued to fight, along with teaching UFC fighters, his very own students. Yotsuba taught over 40 students, and because of Yotsuba's popularity Moot's school gained many more students.
Eventually, Yotsuba's students started fighting Moot's students in the UFC. After many fights, it was clear that Yotsuba was producing fighters that were a lot better than Moot's fighters.
When interviewed by CNN, Yotsuba stated his students were better than Moot's students because his training methodologies weren't narrow minded and old like Moot's training methodologies.
Yotsuba continued to comment on how Moot was just an ignorant and stubborn old man who's students would all get their asses kicked by his students because Moot is just too stupid to accept that Yotsuba, despite being younger, uses better training methodologies.

THE END
>>
>>1093488
Cool story. Too bad none of the Kids who talk shit about how effective pro fighters in the UFC are haven't trained with today's crop of fighters and then started their own gyms, otherwise all that time it took you to write that would be worthwhile.
>>
>>1093772
masterful b8
>>
File: Kyokushin Karate Conditioning.gif (2MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Kyokushin Karate Conditioning.gif
2MB, 260x146px
Reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBBSLtReNk
>>
>>1091641
>drain your wallet without teaching many practical techniques
What unpractical techniques does shotokan teach again?
>>
>>1089755
Perfect for practicing dick kicks.

Fuck I was laughing so hard it took me five minutes to type this fucking post.
>>
>>1091879
>I can see what works and what doesn't.
Experience is only as credible as how it's interpreted.
How do we know you're interpreting things correctly?
How do you know you're interpreting things correctly?
>>
File: 1458678700456.jpg (878KB, 4200x2464px) Image search: [Google]
1458678700456.jpg
878KB, 4200x2464px
>>
>>1091637

Could argue that Rory Macdonald is a jack of all trades master of none guy,and in modern MMA,its better than being a master of one
>>
>>1096111
>how do we know mirrors are real if our eyes aren't real

I thought you would've either grown out of this or killed yourself by now Wu.
>>
>>1097238
>and in modern MMA,its better than being a master of one
This.

>>1091637
lel stupido
>>
File: 1439214311280.jpg (95KB, 460x638px) Image search: [Google]
1439214311280.jpg
95KB, 460x638px
I think this might be the most autistic thread in /asp/ history.
>>
File: Side Kick.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Side Kick.gif
1MB, 260x146px
bump
>>
Not OP, but I was hoping to see discussion with input from a variety of perspectives, from people who've practiced different arts from one another.

What's up with all the martial artists on this board not talking about martial arts?
>>
>>1100989
no one here trains kek
its just troll trolling trolls
and memes
>>
>>1100989
I'm probably the only martial artist on this board. This place is made up of casual hobbyists that take a bjj class once a week and operate as armchair corner men while they watch ufc.

think about it, if you play football once a week in your league, you aren't a football player, you are a guy that likes football
same thing with martial arts, if it isn't your full time job you are just a guy who likes them but not a martial artist
>>
>>1100998
Kek what du yu train senpai
>>
>>1100989
The judo thread seems to have actual martial art discussion an people that train rather frequently
>>
>>1100998
>They take a class once a week, I train THREE TIMES a week. I'M THE TRUE CHOSEN MARTIAL ARTIST
>>
>>1101034
Yeah, threads like Judo General and Boxing general has a lot of activity and discussion, Muay Thai general less so but still has discussion, but I'm monitoring this thread because of potential for discussion between a mix of styles and perspectives.
>>
>>1100998
>bragging about being poor and autistic
>>
>>1101029
>>1101055
>>1101091
maybe you don't know about me, but I'm goju guy. I'm sort of a big deal around here since I'm one of the few professional martial artists to actually visit this board.
>>
>>1100989

>What's up with all the martial artists on this board not talking about martial arts?

I love to talk about martial arts, but I'm against this kind of "I'm ted, 14 years old and my hobbies are.."

This is not /soc/.
>>
>>1101063
i mean mix style and perspective so you want a style vs style thread? i mean i think most people who shit post about that anyway.

or if it isnt style vs style, what style is the best for self defense, etc
nothing really good comes from that same boring trope
>>
>>1100989

Box or KBox for striking and footwork/head movement.

Muay Thai for clinch and elbows/knees.

Wrasslin for takedown and takedown defense.

BJJ for submissions and fighting on the ground.

You can now go to the UFC senpai.
>>
>>1101153
I'm not actually sure why anybody would choose bjj if they wanted to do pro fighting
no gi bjj is just a poor mans catch wrestling
>>
>>1101153

wouldn't Sambo be the best base for MMA?i think a dude with legit Sambo and Kickboxing would fuck up any division.
>>
>>1101156
because BJJ not only as a style but as a martial art community has 100s of good trainers, fighters and an entire infrastruc to get people fine tuned into fighting.

Whereas yes maybe catch seem more exotic and "complete" of a grappling style, how many people can you learn from? how many gyms specialize in catch? how many tournies can you go to, to fine tune your technique? Not that many. so yeah nothing wrong with catch but people overlook that a martial art is more then just a style, but the entire culture, infrastructure and network and community that makes the style and produces quality and value fighters year after year after year.

same could be said with boxing, muay thai, wrestling and judo, but man to dismiss BJJ because its a "meme" style and imply its less valuable is short sighted.
>>
>>1101167

Wrestling/Sambo and 10th Planet JJ is the best grappling combo for MMA.
>>
>>1101134
>style vs style
Not necessarily, but there are a variety of topics and a lot of discussion to be had.
There are many intricacies within a single art alone, to compare and contrast them, there's even more to discuss.

>same boring trope
There's a lot more to talking about more than a single thread than the popular topics that've been discussed on /asp/.
>>
>>1101106
>This is not /soc/.
Yes, this is not /soc/
However, providing that information contributes to the discussion of martial arts, which is definitely /asp/ related.

Scenario_01:
>Anon_01: Wing Chun combo actually works
>Anon_02: shut up faggot, Wing Chun a shit

Scenario_02:
Anon_01: I've taken Boxing for 2 years, Kickboxing for 4 years, and have done MMA for 2 years. I can run a mile in 7min, I'm 180lbs, and can bench press 200lbs. I spar full force 2 times a week.
I decided to take Wing Chun for 1 year to help my MMA, and found that a downwards block followed by a Wing Chun style step lab to be a favorite move of mine that lands relatively often
Anon_02: I see that you're a physically fit person with experience and knowledge of various martial arts, and have tested techniques in a realistic setting to get at least some idea of the effectiveness of what you're discussing.
>>
>>1101097
kek
>>
My Kickboxing gym doesn't believe in the Kyokushin beat your shit up method of conditioning.

How do I incorporate someone using me as a punching bag in my training routine?

Should I do it on a rest day from physical conditioning?
Should I do it on the same day I lift? Before or after I lift?
>>
File: exercising with a bruise.jpg (58KB, 819x249px) Image search: [Google]
exercising with a bruise.jpg
58KB, 819x249px
You should let bruises heal before exercising that muscle group.
>>
File: th.jpg (11KB, 300x192px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
11KB, 300x192px
Is it just me, or do you not want a corner man when you fight?

I'd be rather focusing on what I think I should do, rather than focus on listening to what my corner man is shouting at me what he things I should do.
There's also that delay of time between him saying it, me hearing it, my brain processing it, and then my brain sending the signal to do it; it could be too late by then.
I could just flat out be a better strategist and tactician than my corner man.
>>
>>1101286
>Kyokushin beat your shit up method of conditioning.
goju ryu* method btw
>>
>>1101550

Stop pushing the gojuryu meme. Goju has shitty quality control.
>>
>>1101161
Fedor was just that but he got exposed by good people
>>
>>1101208
Why are you bragging about your bench press?
>>
File: 11ecub.gif (661KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
11ecub.gif
661KB, 260x146px
>be gone for one (1) weekend
>thread dies

For those of you who asked for videos of my sparring but didn't see it, here it is again.

>be me
>training slowly halts to nothing over the course of a few years
>have no training for about three (3) years
>maybe casually spar with friends and people I meet a handful of times within that span of approximately three (3) years
>decide to travel to visit an old friend
>spar
>get vid of myself

UFC rules, but no head contact.
Also, street clothes, no hand wraps (we used to spar bare knuckled), no time, done in a baseball field; basically, UFC fouls apply, along with the no head contact rule
Full force is allowed. I don't like saying full contact, because full contact Kickboxing doesn't allow leg kicks, we allowed leg kicks because this is UFC ruled.
My sparring partner is about two (2) weight classes above me.
This is more two (2) friends dicking around, rather than serious sparring for improvement.
Dialogue is cut out, some movement (no action) is cut out.
Fouls and some bad kick attempts on my part are cut out, but put in the end.
I'm the guy with the lighter coloured top, and the cuffed trousers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48kZ5LFZblw

PS: Tetsuo isn't my real name.
>>
>>1101632
Personal Comments:
>tfw my reaction time isn't as good
>tfw my reflexes aren't as reinforced
>tfw I'm not as fast as I used to be
>tfw my technique gets sloppy
>tfw my focus isn't as good
>>
>>1101561
maybe that's true, but intense body conditioning was a goju thing before kyokushin even existed
kyokushin is the bjj to gojus judo
>>
>>1101632
>that .gif
Are you a spooky ISIS ghostie?
>>
>>1101632

I feel so embarrassed for you.
>>
>>1101656
M-maybe...

>>1101666
Thanks! I feel so embarrassed for you, too!
:D
>>
>>1090985
FMA. Learn to hit shit with sticks. Keep something stick-like in your vehicle, something to use as a kubaton on your person, and a grappling art get get you out of bad situations where someone gets passed stick.

But I'm talking out of my ass, I don't practice anything. I'm near a renowned BJJ/MMA place and a Judo place taught by the college's instructor but I still need to try one. I just have piss poor funds.
>>
>>1101702
>But I'm talking out of my ass, I don't practice anything.
You don't need to be a hammer maker to know a stainless steel hammer performs better than a stone hammer.

You don't need to be a mathematician to know that 15 is greater than 5.
You don't need to have solved a single equation to know these things.
To understand why, however, take some more knowledge.
Even with basic knowledge of mathematics, one can grasp basic concepts, and utilize them, apply them to more difficult equations, even if one is unable to completely solve the entirety of the equation.
If one is unable to solve 5 + 7 + 12, one with only a basic understanding of math is able to comprehend the answer is more than 15.
>>
>>1101758
>stainless steel hammer performs better than a stone hammer
depends on the job, if I was driving a nail down I would use steel, but if I was say trying to set a wood beam in place I would prefer the stone one
>>
>>1101836
I mean the same hammer, but one being made of steel, while the other is made of stone.
>>
>>1101632
I can't even see anything. Why on earth would you record through s fence?
>>
>>1101609
>why are you bragging about your bench press?
It's not bragging. If you didn't know I was physically fit, you could think I'm out of shape. If you think I'm out of shape, you could think the people I train with are out of shape. If the people I train with are out of shape, really out of shape, they could be slow, really slow. If you train with people out of shape and below average in speed, you're not training under realistic conditions.
If I'm not training under realistic conditions, I don't actually know as much about the application of the move.
>>
>>1091641
Uh huh so people shouldn't practice martial arts unless they want to compete, epic chart.
>>
>>1101666

This.

Two point sparring veterans dicking around in a park.

What is he claiming he trains again? That was straight out of a 1994 Century catalog.
>>
>>1102159
That's a lot of logic hoops to leap through.
>>
>>1101702
It's really nice that know nothing dipshits like you are infesting this board and giving shit advice when you have no experience. It's just like every other fucking board on here.
>>
I love to run long distances already. Does this have any bearing on what MA I should learn?
>>
>>1091835
>that's the same argument shit teachers give
If you ask the top players of any sport, or any instrument, or the best poets, or the best at literally any other skill, they will tell you that they broke down the skills into the smallest possible chunks, and practiced them carefully and consciously until they got good at them, then put them together. This is the most efficient way to learn.
>>
Which MA is the best if I primarily want to improve my confidence and self esteem?
>>
>>1102474
lets expand on that thought. Let's say you learn how to play an instrument, you get pretty decent at it, and learn a fairly complicated piece of music.
Then the night of your performance you are given the strict instructions of "you aren't allowed to use your ring fingers at all tonight"
could you still manage? maybe, but probably not, you probably will need to go back and practice all over again because you already learned it a certain way and now there is a new variable you need to overcome. It's the same set of skills but the application needs to be different because of this x-factor
that's why you need to learn with the variables and x-factors in place from the beginning

the difference is we are talking about physical skills that should come from reflex, not memory.
so you go to the local MMA gym and start your first day boxing training and get pretty good, have your footwork down and are ready to go.
"ok great, but if you were having a match with kicks that boxing footwork leaves you too off balance to throw any effectual kicks, so forget that and start doing it this way"
and so you do a tear down and learn the proper way to stand for kickboxing
"great! but now remember if there is grappling then the kickboxing stance is no good, you need to have a lower base so you can't get knocked over, so start doing it this way"

motherfucker why didn't you just teach me the low kickboxing base to begin with?
>>
Is there any reason I couldn't both box and run marathons?
>>
>>1102570
>motherfucker why didn't you just teach me the low kickboxing base to begin with?

Because a lot of specific things in fighting are situational. And you need mileage sparring and actually fighting to figure out when different situational things apply, including footwork.
>>
>>1082681
>kempo kung fu (chuan fa)
>8 years
Essentially my school takes what we find effective from different MA and add it into our curriculum, which is then streamlined once there are redundancies found. My Sigung was a student of Grandmaster Olaf Simon and Grandmaster Stan Lee of Edmonton, and my Sifu trained in boxing and judo before he formally started kung fu. The biggest influences are:
Hung Gar
Kempo Karate
Wing Chun
Judo
BJJ

>jian fa
>informal - 3 months
>solo - 4 years
Had the chance to join a small study group years ago focusing on the teachings of Scott Rodell. Learned the basic blocks, parry and strikes but then left because it was the same day as a parkour training session, eventually the full group disbanded. Picked the sword up again at kung fu as weapon training was becoming a larger component, and in May I'm going to get some actually formal training from Scott at a seminar.
>>
>>1102747
Doesn't Nick Diaz swim marathons along with his MMA training or something?
>>
>>1090985
I know eskrima/ kali is one of them I've seen a lot of people who join just because of him.
>>
Huge newfag here

What style martial arts should I as a beginner choose

How big of a cuck an I
>>
>>1102888
It's not the style that you should worry about, first look at what is available in your area.
>>
>>1102888
Muay Thai, Sanda/Sanshou, or MMA.
Boxing, Taekwondo, and Kyokushin Karate make good supplemental arts.
With hybrid MMA grappling arts as a base, Judo and BJJ make good supplementary arts.
>>
>>1102888
>How big of a cuck an I
Since you post that kind of shit you should probably look into Krav Maga or Zumba.
>>
File: bridge_drill.gif (865KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
bridge_drill.gif
865KB, 300x300px
>>1095968

>What unpractical techniques does shotokan teach again?

That's why it's under the category "beautiful movements", not under "I want to Kick ass".

>>1102248

>Uh huh so people shouldn't practice martial arts unless they want to compete, epic chart.

I'm not sure I understood what you mean?

>>1092065

>m8 there isn't even such a thing lol

Sorry, it's called "Luta Livre", not "Lucha Livre".
Must be confused because of "Lucha Libre" (the mexian grappling).

Here is what I was talking about:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luta_Livre#Luta_Livre_and_Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

>>1102358

If you are a runner Boxing is for you. You will need a lot of stamina for it. If you like Kicks, you can also train Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

>>1102570

Let's use your muscial example for a moment:

To get good at a certain instrument, every musician start with the same boring basics: Practicing scales, all day every day (these are the basic movements).
Then practicing simple exercises of a few notes (this is for example shadow boxing, combinations or uchi komis).
Then you learn some simple pieces of music (this is basic sparring).

NOW is the time when you first decide "I want to play Bach" or "I want ot play Tchaikovsky". And even if you got your basic skills, your not ready to play it. Because it'S mroe than just mere notes. Every composer has a certain way of how he gets played (this is your "ruleset"). Which also means, that if you play Tchaikovsky a lot you need to "unlearn" some "bad habits" or your Bach will not sound like Bach.

But that doesn't mean you start learning a certain composer from the scratch. You need your basics skills, and if you devellop into a certain direction you can just change some habits, but you keep your basic skill set. That's why guys can fight in BJJ and MMA without accidentaly ellbowing someone in the face in a BJJ competitions. Or why guys can fight in K-1 and Kyokushin tournaments without punching some accidentaly in the face in Kyokushin.
>>
>>1102481

Any competing martial art will do.

Your ego will suffer a little bit in the beginning, because you will realize how bad you really are with fighting.

But then you will get better and after a while winning/losing isn't that important anymore.
It's hard to describe, but on the one hand you will become aware of your mistakes, on the same time you will get more confident, because you KNOW what you can do and what you can't do.

I trained Escrima for years which was nice and great fun, but didn't have full contact sparring. So I cound never measure my own abilities. Then I took up Judo.

About a year later someone really pissed me of (drunken bastard screaming at a woman because he didn't like her nationality or something). So I walked over and called him out on why he was insulting the woman. He just mumbled and toddled off.

The funny thing is I KNEW I could have thrown him on the ground and that's why I could stay calm. Of course I'm not invincible, but I knew that he would have had a hard time against if he picked a fight with me, so I could just accept the option of a fight without being too scared of it.

I'd definately say competing Martial Arts made me more peacefull and more confident.

>>1102885

Eskrima / Kali is great if you have some "unarmed" fighting to back it up. For example Boxing + Escrima is an amazing combination because both arts can benefit from the other.
>>
I'm looking to pick up TKD, doing it alongside lifting with a 90 minute class once a fortnight, 10-15 minutes pattern and kick training on lifting days and some stretching on rest days.
Is this a good routine?
>>
Hajime no Ippo makes me want to box. Is it a bad idea to pick it up based on liking an anime about it?
>>
>>1090897
You really, really sound like you've never sparred in your life.
>>
>>1103424
you're right, I haven't, I've fought
in the streets where your rules are meaningless and expecting people to follow them means you'll get hurt
and what I've learned is you have to be flexible and able to adapt, and that means not learning the rigid rules and moves of mma bullshit
it's like learning music theory, yeah maybe for some people it's better than nothing, but really it'll just make you create paint by numbers crap music

You must learn all the skills for fighting, and learn them by fighting. It's a terrible idea to practice one thing one day, and one thing another, because how will you know when each one is useful unless you use them in conjunction? It's common sense to anyone who doesn't have buyer's remorse from years of some bullshit martial art.
>>
File: oh8732y02fh4hp83.jpg (196KB, 1600x1150px) Image search: [Google]
oh8732y02fh4hp83.jpg
196KB, 1600x1150px
>>1103464
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh, boy...
>>
>>1103464
Lol omg...
>>
>>1103204
No but you'll change your mind after your first boxing class anyway if you're not motivated enough, it will kick your ass like nothing else.
>>
>>1103464
If only Wwe mongoloid children like you would kill themselves sooner instead of polluting this board.
>>
>>1103478
>>1103514
>>1103525
[spoiler]I'm not really >>1090897[/spoiler]
>>
>>1101489
It's always good to have someone see things from the outside. They can notice things you can't, like "you're dropping your guard when you throw a left, stop doing that before he capitalizes on it", "Keep working his legs, he's limping".

Also, after a few minutes of fighting sometimes exhaustion kicks in, and your ability to analyze your current situation diminishes greatly.

That being said, a lot of top fighters are fucking dense and dumb as bricks. They really need someone yelling them what to do,
>>
>>1082681
That looks like a citrus blossom.
>>
>>1103518
This was me. Except I loved it, so I keep doing it.

Ippo is cool and all, but there's so much to the science of it and trying to perfect that science that I can't get enough.
>>
>>1103464
As an ex pianist from high school I'll like to tell you that music theory is important if you want to respect the art itself, and just because you don't know how to use it it's because you didn't pay to much attention and even yet, you didn't practice enough
>>
>>1103669
see
>>1103527
>>
>>1102291
Very poetic, Anon. Your way with words really touches me on my insides, and makes me feel all tingly.

>>1102747
>>1102865
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Diaz
>competes in triathlons for recreation and uses his endurance to constantly put pressure on his opponent, as well as pushing the pace of the fight
>>
>>1103995
>uses his endurance to constantly put pressure on his opponent
this shit has always fucking bothered me, how someone being strong through 3 rounds is considered a cardio god
I'm not knocking the conditioning part of it, doing 15 minutes of intense activity like that isn't easy

what I'm getting at is at the professional level, cardio shouldn't even be a fucking factor. You are a pro athlete, you should be able to go balls deep through an entire fight without having to worry about getting burnt out. Fucking soccer and basketball players and shit need to keep up the same amount of effort way fucking longer
>>
Got like a month or so before my black belt test, my hip flexors are still shot, and my kicks are still not perfect.

Problem is I don't know when they will hold another black belt test (could be years) so I don't want to miss my chance. But at the same time I have to ether try and save my hips and hope my kicks will be good enough, or practice them more but risk being too hurt to preform properly.

It sucks.
>>
>>1104048
>same amount of effort
>>
>>1103464

Stop posting any time
>>
>>1104138
You practice more, you risk losing your legs (like wu-style Tai Chi Chaun).
You rest up, you risk waiting longer for a black belt.
>>
>>1104223
What happened to that guy? Did his self training injure his legs?
>>
>>1082681

Newfag here

What's the best martial arts to pursue that focuses on striking

Not interested in weapons training
>>
>>1104238
>What's the best martial arts to pursue that focuses on striking
Some super modernized hybrid MMA striking art.
MMA trains striking with a variety of possible grappling in mind, so it's a good art to focus on striking in a more realistic setting.
>>
File: JFJKD Stance.jpg (106KB, 1063x596px) Image search: [Google]
JFJKD Stance.jpg
106KB, 1063x596px
>Nick Diaz using Bruce Lee's stance
>>
>>1104225
He said he stretched too much, way too much.
He participated in the kicking thread anyway, and it's obvious his legs are fucked from the gif.
He left 4chan for a while, some Boxing-fag posted under the Wu name.
Wu came back, and said he might not be able to ever kick again. I guess he went to a doctor to get checked out or something.
>>
>>1104249
Absolutely fucking hilarious after his extreme insistence that people don't need training and can train themselves safely.

Should've listened to the other trips all along.
>>
>>1104246
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlcKlE15bg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyRYIqPLnJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbN2sLMyUm4
>>
>>1104249

What the hell does that even mean, "stretched too much?" Too much like a ballerina, like a gymnast? Like a shaolin monk? A contortionist? If those people don't stretch too much, Wu didn't.

If he wants to say he stretched poorly and hurt himself, I believe that, but "too much" is just ego. It's like he's saying he was too hardcore for his own body.
>>
>>1104401
Too much at once, for what his body could handle at the time. So, poorly by overdoing it. In the same way that I could hurt myself by running a 20k right now when some people do it before breakfast, and call it running too much. It is running too much... for me at my current level of fitness.
>>
>>1104144
yes, in fact running back and forth across a big playing area is more effort than throwing a few combinations and walking around the ring with a dedicated staff to help you cool off and recover every 5 minutes. It never makes sense to me, I go to jiujitsu class and after taking 3 matches everybody is laying on the floor dead. How the fuck are you people so tired? you've been exercising for 10 minutes
we normally do back to back classes and last night we didn't even have a second session because everybody showed up to the first and was too tired to do another. Meanwhile I'm sitting there like an asshole wondering why I even bothered going out if I was only going to get maybe an hour and a half of training in
>>
>>1104456
Try boxing.

Boxing coaches and fighters really do understand the importance of cardio.

Any gym where the training isn't purely recreational (i.e. people compete) gives a lot of importance to cardio and stamina training.
>>
>>1104456
>in fact running back and forth across a big playing area is more effort than throwing a few combinations and walking around the ring

>in fact

Blow it out your ear, mate. Marathons are a thing. Three hour boxing matches with no rounds aren't. Running ain't shit compared to fighting.
>>
>>1104473
Running is good conditioning for boxing. That's why road work is so important. But you're right that boxing wears you out faster. Regardless, I'd rather be a marathon runner going into boxing than a basketball player, as far as conditioning goes.
>>
>>1104456
Keep track of a boxer. They don't "walk" around the ring, for one. For another thing, imagine doing half a marathon while being punched and throwing punches yourself.
>>
>>1104456
Yeah, pretty fucking obvious you've never boxed before.
>>
>>1104473
marathoners aren't running, they are jogging. Soccer players are /running/ and there is a big difference
consider someone with a good mile time of less than 5 minutes, that's running just barely below a sprint for the entire distance
but in mma you aren't sprinting for 5 minutes straight the way the runner is. you are giving a little burst, then resting, then bursting, then resting, or maybe not even bursting because you tired yourself out on your first exchange and then spend the next 14 minutes of the fight hobbling around unable to catch your breath

but we have the defense force coming out here in full swing yet again. I'm again not saying fighting is a low energy activity, I'm saying there is absolutely no fucking excuse for a professional athlete to be unable to operate at near 100% for 15 minutes
are you even training? as a hobbyist I go through circuits of plyometrics and jump ropes and shit for over an hour at a clip with little more than a 30 second rest to splash water on my face every few sets

the idea of being unable to fight for 15 minutes is a joke to me. And I'm not saying it's easy to get there, there is obviously training required to be able to do it, but when your job is to do nothing else but train all day you have no excuse to have worse fight stamina than a hobbyist
>>
>>1089755
When we train in muay thai we sometimes use just really long heavy bags that are almost on the floor, but also big enough so we can still punch them... I forgot what they're called but just look it up yo!
>>
>>1103464
>you have to be flexible and able to adapt

Before you can learn to "be flexible and able to adapt" you have to have something to adapt from.

Dick tickling your friends in the backyard with some "MMA gloves" from Walmart is worthless.
>>
>>1104498
>the idea of being unable to fight for 15 minutes is a joke to me.

Then why aren't you just BTFO of all of the amateur and pro fighters local to you?
>>
>>1104589
>Dick tickling your friends in the backyard with some "MMA gloves" from Walmart is worthless.
Yeah, dick tickling is a lot better bare handed.
>>
>>1104498
>the idea of being unable to fight for 15 minutes is a joke to me.
That's because you're a fat fuck who pretends to be a martial artist on /asp/, you're not the first one doing that so just go back to watching your youtube videos while choking on your doritos.
>>
File: stance.jpg (49KB, 632x597px) Image search: [Google]
stance.jpg
49KB, 632x597px
Wolf Style reminder.

youtube.com/watch?v=QBTYLGH9S7U
>>
>>1104973
This is still as funny as the first time I saw it.

Emo black kid making up his own marshal art based on animu.
>>
>>1103534
>They can notice things you can't, like "you're dropping your guard when you throw a left, stop doing that before he capitalizes on it",
In more important competitions, you should have that fixed in training before your fights.

>keep working his legs, he's limping
I believe that should be something fighters should be able to notice, or something fighters should work on noticing.

>after a few minutes of fighting something exhaustion kicks in
Depends on your condition.

>and your ability to analyze your current situation diminishes greatly
I believe that depends on the person, and that training could help with that.

>they really need someone yelling them what to do
kek
>>
>>1104973
It's like a black version of Mac from It's Always Sunny.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n60ror0DqW1sffc7y.jpg (50KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n60ror0DqW1sffc7y.jpg
50KB, 338x450px
>>1103545
>Ippo is cool and all, but there's so much to the science of it and trying to perfect that science that I can't get enough.
It's like you're Asperger's for Boxing, which is funny, and kind of cool.
>>
>>1104973

Make me think of when I was 14 my best friend and em also made up our own imaginary fighting style..

Good think that putting up videos wasn't a thing those days, lel.
>>
>>1104980
>In more important competitions, you should have that fixed in training before your fights.
Yet it happens. Even if your technique is flawless while training, there are times adrenaline plays tricks with your body. Especially after you've been fighting for several minutes and are focusing too much on finishing the fight.
That's why you see top level grapplers making newbie mistakes like forgetting to put the hooks when performing a choke, or world class boxers dropping their guard when they throw a power punch.
If these people, who train eight hours a day, can make such mistakes...

>I believe that should be something fighters should be able to notice, or something fighters should work on noticing.
I agree with you. But say you just recieved a powerful liver shot just half a minute ago. The pain can be pretty distracting...

>Depends on your condition.
Totally agree. Instead of "something", i meant "sometimes". As in, if your opponent is also well conditioned, very aggressive, keeps putting pressure on you (or resist your pressure and aggressiveness), and the fight goes on full force... sooner or later one of you will tire.

I'm talking about long matches, by the way. If a top class fighter tires from two five minute rounds, he's clearly neglecting his cardio.

>I believe that depends on the person, and that training could help with that.
Absolutely true. As a matter of fact, you can notice there are fighters whose corner remains mostly silent during the match. Or just cheer.

But as I said, lots of them aren't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Also, I think a bad cornerman can be pretty harmful for a fighter.
>>
File: Wing Chun.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wing Chun.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>1102847
What's your opinion on the application of Wing Chun in Muay Thai, Sanda/Sanshou, K-1, and UFC?
>>
>>1105040
Wing Chun works by attacking the opponents center line, while using upward strikes to uproot the opponent. While the pure art can be effective against the untrained, you have to adjust the straight-forwardness so you aren't as easy to counter. One example from that picture is the way he grabbed the wrist. If you use your thumb when grabbing, it locks your hand, allowing the opponent to more easily pull you off balance.
>>
>>1105132
So youre saying grip with 4 fingers? That seems as bad
>>
>>1103048
>That's why it's under the category "beautiful movements", not under "I want to Kick ass".
That doesn't answer the question.
>>
>>1104594
I travel the world fighting the strongest already
>>
>>1103464
>You must learn all the skills for fighting, and learn them by fighting.
Martial arts have the word martial in them for a reason. They were born and evolved for warfare and fighting and many predecessor styles are sport styles (like Muay Thai) adapted from older styles utilized for the very same listeed above (like Muay Boran). You cannot get more "muh fightan" than that.
>It's a terrible idea to practice one thing one day, and one thing another,
No it isn't. And in fact is a way humans can effectively learn
>because how will you know when each one is useful unless you use them in conjunction?
>What are drills
>What is sparring, especially any kind of full contact or bareknuckle
>It's common sense
Both of your posts contain no common sense or logic of any kind
>to anyone who doesn't have buyer's remorse from years of some bullshit martial art.
You mean it makes sense to anyone who's an idiot and knows fuck all about fighting and martial arts
>I've fought
No, you haven't
>>
>>1104456
You have no idea.

The absolute mental intensity of trying to gauge mix ups of shots and straights in itself is so stressful that it is physically exhausting because no matter how relaxed you are your whole body is tense.

Actually working for 15 minutes in a combination of movement, striking, grappling, so you're firing on all cylinders both aerobically and anaerobically, combined with the stress of anticipation as well as actual pain itself is completely exhausting. It's not like just doing 3 back to back rounds in BJJ.
>>
>>1105205
If someone pulls their arm while you're gripping, your whole body will be pulled. Now if you hook instead, their hand slips out.
>>
>>1102888
Pick a style your interested in and use this
>http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/
>>
File: YAMATO DAMESHII.png (1MB, 1432x2958px) Image search: [Google]
YAMATO DAMESHII.png
1MB, 1432x2958px
>>1103518
>>1103545
>>1104985
>>
>>1101489
>>1103534

I like to take a more independent approach to fighting. By fighting without a corner, you're powering through the fight alone. You're doing things by yourself that your corner would be doing for you. By working yourself harder, you develop yourself more. When you get through the fight, you can think you got through it alone, by your own skill, by your own effort; rather than thinking you got through it because someone helped you.
It could also help give you better understanding of your skills and limitations, helping you identify things you could be doing better.
Instead of the fighting being about winning, it's about self development.
Instead of your corner telling you what you're doing wrong, you have to notice it. If you don't notice it, you could watch a recording of the fight, and identify what you need to work on, and work on it.
>>
>>1105307
You've clearly never been in a fight.

This is white belt fantasy amateur hour garbage.

One day if you ever take a real fight, you will understand.
>>
>>1105307
Someone has been watching too many kung fu movies, please stop that shit.
>>
File: Video Breakdown Guy.jpg (133KB, 805x530px) Image search: [Google]
Video Breakdown Guy.jpg
133KB, 805x530px
>>1101632
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48kZ5LFZblw

I made a breakdown of that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mSAeVDcYI

I didn't think it'd be that time consuming. I was thinking about breaking down some of the videos posted in Boxing General, New-Wu's bag work, Northern Dragon's Bobwork, Bully Anon's bagwork, but now I'm not sure if I want to put that much time into breaking down Bag work.

I'm very interested in seeing if any Anons have sparring videos of themselves.

What happened to that one Black Anon who sparred with that short and chubby white guy?
Anyone have a link to the video? I might break it down.

What about that video of the Asian kid that does Taekwondo and Muay Thai?
He had footage of him in a street fight against some drunk white guy with long hair at the end of the video.
>>
>>1101561
I feel bad for any goju fags that'd actually like to try to have a serious discussion from now on.
>>
>>1104985
Yes. Yes I am. Horribly so. I do try and temper that though by knowing

A - I suck and am working to get better
B - I don't think that because I know theory doesn't mean I'm good at exercising theory

Definitely not above admitting that I've got a problem. I've had nerve damage in my left shoulder and instead of getting it checked, I've been spending money on equipment for the gym I go to since the coach is basically running a non-profit at a loss and can't afford new stuff.
>>
>>1105438
That video is a bit old and I'll admit I wasn't trying to impress anyone with it. I recorded it so I could watch myself and see where my technique was about a month ago. I'll probably update it with a new one some time this week.
>>
>>1105562
>I'll probably update it with a new one some time this week.
I'll keep an eye out for it.
>>
>>1082933
10/10 would train in this martial art
>>
>>1090871
"Weapons Martial Arts"
>>
>>1103082

Agreeing with this dude. Also, if you're interested in Eskrima, shop around--as a martial art, it's a really mixed bag with a less consistent tone than others.

For instance, my local school spends half the class sparring, full contact and otherwise, but the school I started with didn't have sparring at all, because the teacher didn't believe in competition. If you can find a good school, go for it.

Also, definitely combine Eskrima with another martial art. While Eskrimadors do practice open hand techniques, you won't get the same focus as you will in an unarmed martial art. I've personally supplemented my Eskrima with Muay Thai and Aikido.
>>
>>1105217
>I travel the world fighting the strongest already
The strongest at keistering maybe.
>>
>>1105693
Why aikido out of all the grappling styles
>>
>>1105777
Maybe Anon got put in there by his parents at a young age, and he didn't know any better.
>>
>>1105777
He's just role playing, nobody involved in any remotely legitimate Muay Thai training would waste their fucking time with aikido, but kids who make up stories and have no experience are unlikely to understand the cultural effect of a martial art and how it changes your perspective on other arts or training methodologies.

Perfect case of some faggot kid on asp making up fantasy shit as per fucking usual.
>>
>Bushidokan full
>Brazilian Jui Jitsu black belt
>black belt Judo

The only one I value, is one I won't mention. It takes a lot of humility and showers with dudes just to really learn what it is to fight.

>>1082713

You're the only one wearing one. Unless these other dudes are screen fighters and nothing else. I have the scares and scares to know what hurts.
>>
>>1105818

*scars
>>
>>1105816
>people who train Muay Thai can't take Aikido to determine its worth for themselves because they practiced Muay Thai
This is either really stupid, or bait.
>>
>>1105818
>It takes a lot of humility and showers with dudes just to really learn what it is to fight.
That sounds kind of homosexual. So, I'm guessing you did Wrestling, Wrestling is full of homosexuals, and there's nothing wrong with homosexuality.
>>
>>1105829
No I didn't say that,of course they can take it.

But they wouldn't. I mean it could happen, sure. But why would they. If they did, why would they persist. Doesn't make sense. I don't have a mathematical equation to prove my point but anyone who is really sparring with competing MT fighters will see the sense in what I am saying.
>>
>>1105832

Jui Jitsu.

You have no time to pop a boner. I'm a pain-in-the-ass in the gym because I ALWAYS go for the neck. If you don't give for that it's your arm for the bar.
>>
>>1105844

To add- it comes from getting bullied constantly just for asking for a spar ten lessons in.

Sure, I wanted a spar. What is this, bitch school?
>>
File: 10d8sqc.jpg (14KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
10d8sqc.jpg
14KB, 453x604px
>>1105851
>>
>>1105855

Why should I care?

We dropped other dojos in competition. In practical they'd be dead.

I love my sensei. He's incredibly violent and promotes self-defense. Rather than just swimming around in form like an idiot.
>>
>>1105307
LOL
>>
>>1101097
>I'm sort of a big deal

not sure if faggot pretending to be goju guy
or goju guy is faggot
>>
>>1101758
NIGGA i BELIEVE the expression you are been, ah, searchin for so hard is

"Ya don't need to fly to know that the sky is blue"

fuck off with your shitty shit
>>
>>1105211
Not that idiot, but I think the general attitude towards Shotokan is not that it doesn't teach proper movements, but rather that it teaches proper movements improperly.

i.e. it's the training not the techniques

sloppy, mc-dojo style, unrealistic etc etc
>>
>>1105818
>It takes a lot of humility and showers with dudes just to really learn that I'm actually homosexual.
fixed
>>
>>1105816
This.

You don't go from training to actually fight (and hopefully actually stepping into the ring) to buying into hokey dokey bullshit that most Aikido places, or most TMA that don't compete in some fight format, put out while you're training there for an extended period of time.

If you know better bullshit stands out to you.
>>
>>1105132
>Wing Chun works

Sorry, have to stop you right there.
>>
>>1104498
>I'm saying there is absolutely no fucking excuse for a professional athlete to be unable to operate at near 100% for 15 minutes
>are you even training? as a hobbyist I go through circuits of plyometrics and jump ropes and shit for over an hour at a clip with little more than a 30 second rest to splash water on my face every few sets

Do you understand that nobody believes this? 15 minutes at 100%?

Usain Bolt runs 100m in 9.58 seconds at 100%. Are you saying there's no excuse for him not running a mile in 2:40? Are you saying there's no excuse for him not running 5.8 miles in 15 minutes? That he just doesn't have the cardio?

Walk away from this thread. Nobody will ever believe you fight or train.
>>
>>1106347
I thought I made it pretty clear that fighting isn't a sprint. That's the idea, you aren't constantly throwing flurries and shit through the entire fight, most of your time is spent walking around and trying to get a better position.
There has always been a running philosophy that if you have enough energy to sprint at the home stretch, you didn't race hard enough.
if you go the distance in your fight and all you need to recover is a breath of fresh air and a water bottle you didn't fight hard enough.

its like these people are afraid to put work in
>>
>>1105132
>you have to adjust the straight-forwardness so you aren't as easy to counter.
What do you mean by that? Do you have any examples? Sorry for the questions, but I don't practice Wing Chun.
>>
>>1104048
Wtf?? Being a pro fighter automaticlly makes your endurance good? Even if it automaticlly did the triathlionist would have better endurance than you so
>>
>>1106750
In a triathlon, not in a fight.
>>
>>1106750
>Being a pro fighter automaticlly makes your endurance good?
this is what I'm getting at. If you are a professional and your job is reliant on your cardio fitness, you have no excuse to burn out mid fight
>>
>>1106335
But it works!!

It's one of the better working scams I know of.
>>
File: 1459029592614.png (229KB, 571x426px) Image search: [Google]
1459029592614.png
229KB, 571x426px
Best martial art for standup? Planning on doing wrestling for ground
>>
>>1106891
>best martial art for standup
Modern Muay Thai, which is actually Boxing + Kickboxing + Muay Thai.

If you decide to join a general kickboxing place, they might offer various types of kickboxing and stadup, hybrid is the way to go.
>>
>>1106335
>Sorry, have to stop you right there.
>it doesn't work
>>1106884
>it works

It's my opinion that some of it works.

>>1105132
>can be effective against the untrained
Northern Dragon states it works against the untrained, and just about everything works against them.

>you have to adjust the straight-forwardness so you aren't as easy to counter
This seems to suggest that a good amount of it works if it's modified.
>>
>>1106966
>This seems to suggest that a good amount of it works if it's modified.
That's absolutely true.

The introduced modifications are the part that works, by the way.
>>
>>1106718
I only have a little experience with WC and I don't like throwing styles under the bus, but what I see is a reliance on flurries to create openings. If someone understands how to stop or divert the pressure, they can sneak in a throw and take it to the ground.
>>
>>1106399

So then what you're admitting is that it's about managing your pace and energy, and that anybody can outpace his own cardio.

Having admitted that, you now must admit that in a fight each fighter could up the pace until somebody's cardio became the deciding factor in the fight, because it's not possible to be physically capable to throw or defend flurries the entire fight.

If you go the distance in your fight and you won, you fought exactly hard enough.
>>
>>1107142
>what you're admitting is that it's about managing your pace and energy
that isn't at all what I said. I said the fight is inherently not a sprint because you don't just step in and throw wild flurries the whole time. Part of the fight is looking for your openings and finding good distances and shit, you aren't running around like a wild man while you do those things.
There isn't any excuse for cardio to be a factor at the professional level, plain and simple. you could come at me the entire fight as hard as you want and all I have to do is back pedal and stay out of range, it doesn't matter how much pressure you try to put on me, what I'm doing isn't the least bit tiring, I could literally backpedal all day long.

it's a joke if you call yourself a professional and someone is able to pressure your stamina for a win
if I lose a fight its going to be because someone out skilled me, not because my fitness level wasn't up to snuff. The only thing you can actually control in the fight is your personal fitness level, if you don't have a handle on that you're a chump.
>>
Looking for a striking martial arts

What should I check out
>>
>>1091936
catch me if you can wrestling
>>
>>1100989
The /wwe/ shitposters are just a lot more vocal now that they have taken over the board and most of the people that actually practiced MA left
>>
>>1107237
it feels good to win huh?
Are you autistic?
>>
>>1107241

Is he autistic?
>>
>>1107247
is he autistic?
>>
>>1107241
>>1107247
>>1107253
is he autistic?
is he autistic?
is he autistic?
is he autistic?
is he autistic?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NinO0vGum38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCSDrqbD8UM
>>
Did UFC take it too far when they took out 12-6 downwards elbows?
>>
>>1107468
ufc didnt do shit
you mean the state athletic department
>>
>>1107468
the only things that should be banned are gouges, finger breaks, and maybe strikes to the back of the neck
as far as I'm concerned everything else should be fair game
>>
File: 1458652815826.jpg (12KB, 236x234px) Image search: [Google]
1458652815826.jpg
12KB, 236x234px
Thought of posting this to this thread. pt 1
>chill day at the gym
>teaching a kid some boxing and clinch stuff
>done after a while
>pro's taking ice bath
>coach put on Looking for a fight on the screen
>everybody hanging out
>just chilling on the mat
>white belt and new guy doing no gi
>"hey want me to show you some stuff?"
>"sure man"
>introduct ourselves
>"Oh yeah man I used to do akido and wing chun"
>oh neat
>while I am trying to show him basics of guard he is fucking around
>Finish teaching him thank god
>we talk about akido and shit
>"yeah man I think its neat never did anything beside mma"
>"dude its the best look come here"
>does this gay wrist thing that doesnt hurt and shows me a wing chun block that wouldnt work in a real fight
>ah thats cool man
>go hang with coach and shit talking about upcoming fights
>akido dude talks to one of our pro boxers that was shadow boxing
>"lets see your hands"
>"alright go put on some gloves"
?The dude didnt have a mouthguard so my coach said dont hit him in the face
>so the boxer and the akido dude sparring and the boxer jabs him makes him back up
>then comes in with a body shot and the akido guy is done
>>
>>1107682
>he starts talking to the boxer saying will if i was here and moving into a bullshit position
>when i get a mouthpiece you wont be able to hit me my head game is too strong
>made a damn fool of himself
>talk about him after he leaves
>coach tells us about how he was talking mad shit
>everybody agrees the dude is bullshit
>he is coming in on monday with his mouthpiece and gonna spar the boxer
This dude believes his wrist locks and bullshit block work and is going to get his ass kicked monday.
Now "not training akido" is a new joke around the gym
My Coach put it good he said it was theory versus reality and reality was winning.
The guy could say if all day but when sparring he couldnt do it.
>>
>>1107682
>>1107688
Record yourself doing the block so we know what you're talking about.
You can put the video on YouTube, or make a gif with the following link.
https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator
>>
Friendly pointer that >>1106794 is bait.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x800px
>>
File: a9702349572.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
a9702349572.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>1107223
>>
>>1107547
>as far as I'm concerned everything else should be fair game
That includes biting and hair pulling.
>>
>>1108546
and scratching
>>
>>1107547
>strikes to the back of the neck
Those are potentially dangerous because the back of the head and neck are connected to the spine.
A spinal injury or brain stem injury could fuck you up for life.
>>
>>1108550
and who cares? if they want to market it as a fight there has to be a risk. having all these rules takes away all the emersion for the audience since we know no one gets really hurt.
>>
>>1108556
>since we know no one gets really hurt.
Even if you're one of the best fighters on the planet earth, there's still the risk of accidentally fouling someone.
By just getting punched and kicked in allowed areas alone, you already risk death, especially getting hit in the head.
>>
>>1108577
punching someone to the head doesn't risk death you moron.

People get punched in the head all the time without dying. Everyone who fights even people who dont know how to fight punch and no one ever dies. If they did you would see puching to the head banned everywhere in street fights, school fights, etc
>>
>>1108589
Wow you are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1108556
"They" cares. You know the company who will be financially responsible if someone dies in their fucking ring causing them to go bankrupt and hundreds of people to lose their jobs?

Go back to your WWE thread.
>>
>>1108597
>Being THIS triggered
stay cucked sportsfag, if styles like UFC want to promote their real fighting they have to dissolve the rules. As is there is no risk or danger, guys get cucked all the time getting hit in the head and none of them die. Punching and kicking is rather harmless all you get is bruised up. People do it in the streets all the time and no one dies. Let the punch their necks or spines or whatever.
>>
>>1108609
*tips fedora*
>>
>>1108622
>cucked
resorting to name calling cause you're so trigger you can't even use logic to argue back. stay cucked sportsfag
>>
>>1106953
This

I practice Dutch/Oriental/K1 kickboxing but we use elbows and knees,are good at clinching and almost everyone's boxing is is really good.
>>
>>1108626
>mah outlaw fightan
>>
>>1108661
its more called special ops or fighting like an operator
krav maga is god tier for a reason.
>>
>>1108589
>and no one ever dies.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/21/deaths-from-a-single-punch-not-that-uncommon/?page=all

http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/pubs/tbi_report_to_congress.html

>Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a leading cause of death and disability among children and young adults in the United States.
>Each year an estimated 1.5 million Americans sustain a TBI. As a consequence of these injuries:
>230,000 people are hospitalized and survive.
>50,000 people die.
>80,000 to 90,000 people experience the onset of long-term disability.
>>
>>1108546
>>1108549
I would probably be fine with that, maybe restrict biting that you aren't allowed to break the skin if you do it, but feel free to latch on to someone with your teeth if you have to
>>
>>1107724
It was like an arm deflect like how wonder woman does it.
>>
>>1098869

>lel disgusting piece of shit
>>
File: 1459128898218.jpg (174KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1459128898218.jpg
174KB, 900x675px
>>1107682
>>1107688
How'd it go?
>>
>>1107223

Keep digging, son. You're just one more post away from everybody believing you're the baddest motherfucker here.
>>
>>1110305
in that case check my 7
>>
>>1111820
aw man :(
>>
>>1091879
lol I've never seen a high school wrestler beat a purple belt at no gi

in fact i usually don't see the high school wrestlers who are also purple beats beat anyone no gi

it's almost like the person who trains to be good at something is better than the person who doesn't
>>
>>1111999
lol you never seen cause you never train
>>
>>1112111

symmetric trips speak undeniable truth
>>
>>1107225
>Boxing if you want dat footwork and to be able to take on multiple opponents (not even joking; they don't teach it but boxing teaches you to maintain distance if you want to, and against multiple attackers, you want to).
>Kyoku if you want to brag about what a hardass you are and have it be true.
>Muay Thai if you want other people to go on about what a hardass you are and have it be mostly true.
>Kickboxing if you want to be able to fight reasonably well but have your art ignored in all discussions of martial arts.
>TKD if you want to do cool kicks that will lay someone out if they hit but will never hit squarely against anyone who knows how to move.
>Capoiera if you want what I just said about TKD to be true of you, only I was partly joking about TKD and I'm dead serious about Capoiera.
>>
>>1114226
>not even joking; they don't teach it but boxing teaches you to maintain distance if you want to, and against multiple attackers, you want to).
American Kickboxing does that, too, and you can keep distance even better with kicks.
>>
>>1108695
>washingtontimes
Things are actually different in Washington.
Because of our close proximity to the ocean's oxygen, combined with our advanced medicine, highly artistically intelligent genes, as well as the genes of people who have gone to Washington University, our fighters are amongst one of the best.

The higher oxygen levels does wonders for our ability to perform physically.
Our superior gene pool allows our fighters to be highly intelligent, coordinated, and accurate.
We just have suitable conditions for people to get killed by one punch. The only thing stopping one-punch skills all over competition is our high levels athletes and martial artists.
>>
>>1114226
Also, savate if there's miraculously a place near you or you're french, and like wearing shoes in competition.
>>
>>1114226

lel
>>
>>1116035
>>1114226
What should people with no martial arts experience take?

Thinking about either Muay thai, kyokushin, or boxing, there's also 1 or 2 savate schools in my area
>>
>>1116420
Up to you. All sorts of factors you could look at. Price, location, quality of individual places, visiting and seeing which one feels like you'd like the best. Probably also depends on what you really want to get out of it.
>>
File: 1459168532218.jpg (54KB, 680x658px) Image search: [Google]
1459168532218.jpg
54KB, 680x658px
So for conditioning I'm doing
>Running
>Jump Rope
>Push ups
>Squats
>Sit ups

The goal should be to do as many as possible in one set right?
>>
File: Moo Yea Do.jpg (10KB, 144x180px) Image search: [Google]
Moo Yea Do.jpg
10KB, 144x180px
>>1084213
I have practiced Moo Yea Do for two years. Got my first degree black belt. I am 5'10 and love the reach I have with my kicks.
>>
>>1116420

Boxing if you want to get fast results.

Muay Thai if you want to be well rounded in standup fighting.

Kyokushin if you are (or want to be) a tough motherfucker and get beyond your limits.

Savate if you are secretly gay.
>>
>>1116611
Highest quality bait. 10/10.
>>
>>1116780
>>1116430
How good is kyokushin for mma? I heard GSP uses it, either leaning towards muay thai or kyoku
>>
>>1082919
Why did that dumbass motherfucker kick the guys kid?
>>
>>1116806

Kyokushin is a great base because of many reasons.

But since you fight without gloves (or light gloves for beginners) you don't train punches to the head. Therefore you need to add some training in Kickboxing or Boxing before you can fight MMA.
To be honest, if you are decent in Kyokushin it won't take long to add hands. Also even Muay Thai guys also add some Boxing sooner or later, so if you are cross training anyway, you might as well take Kyokushin..

Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with Muay Thai. It's more well rounded than Kyokushin because it has striking to the head and a very good approach to clinching.

Let's say if you take Muay Thai you are pretty capable to deal with everything that will get thrown at you.

If you take Kyokushin your head is vulnerable, but against kicks or punches against the body you don't give a flying fuck.

Muay Thai is THEORETICALLY rather simple (like boxing), it contains some basic punches/kicks which you try to get perfect at.

Kyokushin's basics kicks are almost identical to Muay Thai, but you get much more kicks. There are really nasty, tricky kicks in it.

Last but not least, Muay Thai has a very big competing scene. Kyokushin is entirely amateur level. This means that within the Muay Thai you can really make it to get payed for fights, whene in Kyokushin you'll always pay for fighting. On the other hand the smaller fighting scene means that IF you get good in Kyokushin, you can really go to great tournaments faster or meet exceptional fighters at first hand. I'd say the chances to become an elite Kyokushin fighter are higher than to become a elite Muay Thai fighter. But not many guys are tough enough to get an elite Kyokushin fighter, because it requires (IMHO) much more dedication than Muay Thai.

Anyway, if you are not sure, give both places a try and see if the style appeals to you. Muay Thai community is often a little bit "thug life", Kyokushin is more "muh tradition". Both are quality.
>>
>>1116923
I'll give that a go, thanks man!
>>
>>1084213
I have one freakishly long friend who did especially well with TKD, but generally any striking art night/reach are prized.
>>
>>1115485
Masterful.

There's also the CDC link tho.
>>
File: kovalev_poster3.jpg (757KB, 800x1059px) Image search: [Google]
kovalev_poster3.jpg
757KB, 800x1059px
>>1090897
So in other words, you don't spar.

>inb4 my moves are too deadly
>inb4 sparring doesn't prepare you for a fight
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 673x614px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 673x614px
Sum ufc for ya
>>
>>1104980
Even world champions make mistakes. No one is perfect and that is amplified in fighting. Yes, when you're caught up in the moment, you make mistakes. Having a spotter helps.

Why not take every advantage possible?

That's what people do in a street fight, everything they can to win.

Also, you speak like someone who either has never actually fought before, or you just lose a lot.
>>
>>1092112
3xs a week to get good at anything. You do that for about a year, you'll be able to hold your own vs most people depending on the art.

If you don't have that time/money, it'll just take longer. You'll get there if you're dedicated.
>>
>>1116035
>Being trained by a silver gloves, level 2
>feelsgoodman.jpg

I am a Savatuer, and it kills me because no one else outside of these martial arts circles knows about it. When I try to spread the good news, the Boxers at my gym laugh at me.
>>
>>1116420
I would star boxing, but I love Savate. If they are one of those JKD guys who learned some kicks, as seen here in the US all the time, skip it. If it's traditional Boxe Francais then do that. The focus on angles and combinations make you an animal.
>>
>>1116780
I started with boxing, but started Savate because it improved my boxing so much.

I found out I was just secretly gay and loved wearing Integrals. Now I focus on Savate.
>>
>>1117757

Hahaha.

Touché.
>>
File: untitled.png (487KB, 563x410px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
487KB, 563x410px
>>1108782
>dishonorabru
No, that would make it unrefined and undeserving of being called martial arts. No better than Bum Fight's
>>
>>1117726
>Why not take every advantage possible?
Not everything is about winning.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.