[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fencing General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: fencing.jpg (43KB, 480x475px) Image search: [Google]
fencing.jpg
43KB, 480x475px
Any fencers on here? What's your favorite weapon? Who's rated? Attended any tournaments lately?

I fence epee primarily (E2016) but I'm starting to branch out into foil. I like foil for the blade engagements rather than just looking for the easiest target to hit and pointing at it, which is pretty much how I fence epee sometimes.
>>
>>1065154
Do Sabre, its free calve and endurance training, those starting sprints pays off man
>>
Sabre? You mean the savage's blade?
Epee is superior in all rights. What are your preferred grips?
>>
>>1065154

I have been wondering whether or not fencing would go under /s/ports or /asp/ for a few days now, and was about to make a thread myself.

As someone who has never done fencing before, but might be joining a local club soon, what kind of tips for workouts and equipment can you provide me with, fellow anons?

Any useful links to either popular sites or tips for fencing would also be appreciated!
>>
>>1065881
have enough leg strength so you can always maintain a good en garde position

be at a fitness level so you can give all you have for a whole training session

most content for fencing online is shit. Fencing is all about application of technique. There is usually no right or wrong, just how well you set up your plan and how well you execute it. Watch some high level stuff so you get an idea of how a bout is meant to flow, and maybe read rule interpretations if you are doing a priority weapon.
>>
>>1065881
for equipment, dont ever buy chinese. Dont fold lames, roll them up if you need to.
>>
>>1065876
I have a visconti on my epee right now and I kinda just picked something and went with it. It works well enough. Not a poster so I don't use french.

I have tried other grips that I really liked though. It's just hard to find one that feels just right.
>>
>>1065900
>>1065902

Thanks for the tips!

Have any insight for blade selection? Are there any that are easier for beginners to learn from over others? And are blades accustomed tastes, or is it easy to just pick them up and get into the style of use through dueling?
>>
>>1065912
It's normal for any club to start you off on foil, and then for you to branch out onto the other two weapons depending on your tastes.

Don't worry about buying your own shit at first, just find a good club and turn up wearing in doors trainers (martial arts style shoes are good) and something loose fitting on your legs.
>>
>>1065912
are you talking about weapons to learn (foil epee sabre), or blades to buy, like BF STM vinity?
>>
>>1065921
Either way he shouldn't be splurging money on before he's even started.

The worst cunts are the newbies who show up in full pristine gear on their first day, they normally give up pretty quick too.
>>
>>1065154
Is fencing for me if I have myopia (-4) and want to do fencing without glasses or ophthalmic lenses?
>>
>>1066096
I have (-7) and just wear glasses under my mask.
>>
>>1065921
>>1065929

I was talking about the blades themselves, since I know fencing can be somewhat expensive, and I would not want to fully invest into anything until I knew more about it. I had no intention of going out and buying a full set of gear though before I even begin, that would be foolish.
>>
>>1066255

Weapons to learn* not blades to buy.
>>
>>1066263
well i can only give you my biased opinion. I only train foil but fence all 3 weapons.

I prefer foil cause of the fact theres a lot more movement and you get some play with your opponent. I get to use my fitness and move the opponent around until they make a mistake.

Sabre your always fighting form the on guard lines, and I you have the forward momentum you have to commit and finish with an attack cause the attacker has so much more of an advantage.

Epee is a bit too slow pace for my liking, but has some nice aspects where your looking to catch your opponent off guard and that you should be defending yourself mostly with the tip, not via parrying.
>>
>>1066255
>I had no intention of going out and buying a full set of gear though before I even begin, that would be foolish.

Right, you wouldn't believe how many people do that though.

Again, most clubs will teach you all three, in my experience always starting with foil to teach the fundaments. Epee is a slower paced version of foil that involves far less rules, personally it's my favourite, I feel like bouts are more psychological, but maybe that's just me.

Sabre is completely different, it's about leaping as fast as possible as the opponent and yelling at the referee. So he gives you a point.

But you'll be introduced to what all three and learn which you prefer only by trying them yourself, so this is kind of silly a discussion.
>>
>>1066273
>>1066305

Thanks! Yeah, I was just looking for any kind of information to help me before heading in there. Experience is always more helpful than information for these kind of things, but a little base info will help me more in the long run for right now in regards to training and what not.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.