[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rescued a cat from Irma, what do I do now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 20170910_223931.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_223931.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Meet Grey. S/he is a stray cat. It's been hanging around my work for a couple months and unlike most strays was very friendly, brave, and affectionate.

I don't like cats generally and trust them even less. I've never owned a cat and never met one that liked me. But to be brief, Grey is different. The first time I held out my hand to try and pet it, it stood on its hind legs to reach its head to my hand. So we became casual buds.

Grey clearly used to have a home and wasn't used to being stuck outside. We live in Florida, and if you've watched the news in the last week you know what that means. When I was leaving work tonight, Grey met me at the door soaking wet and meowing desperately. So I brought him home.

So here's the deal. I've got one stray cat, one bag of cat food from the last gas station open, and otherwise no idea what the fuck I'm doing. Grey as you can see is chilling, alternately dozing off and watching the rain. I shredded some paper towels on a baking pan for what I hope it will use as a litter box and I've folded a padded guitar bag inside out for it to use as a bed when it finishes drying.

TLDR as this post is already running long: what should I know and what should I do with Grey for the next few days before stores and vet clinics re-open?
>>
>>2478099
Cats are pretty chill, all you really need to do is give Grey food, water, and pets. It might not know where to shit if you don't have a litterbox though.
>>
>>2478099
just try and keep her clean and fed.
>>
Good for you, mate. You're a good human.

Grey looks comfy on that towel by the window. So I'm guessing he's not too traumatized, but you never can tell.

Cats need the basics, of course. Let them eat and drink in peace, without a big audience or fuss. Litter box should be somewhat private, if possible, not out in the open.

They also want a perch where they can see the room they're in, and maybe watch outside. And maybe a hidey-hole (which is why cats lounge on dining room chairs under the table, or crawl up in weird places. A cardboard box on its side can be a refuge. Cats like to be "protected" on three sides while they watch the room.

Be a warm lap, and they'll come to you. Don't chase their affection.

Good on ya being a port in a storm.
>>
File: 15051033596011781870976.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
15051033596011781870976.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
OP here, thanks guys.

I'll keep the towel there for Grey, he (for lack of sex determination for now) seems comfy there. I set up his makeshift bed like so, he's got his "litter pan" in the kitchenette corner, and he can have his meals and water in a somewhat secluded spot. Not sure what I can do to keep him "clean," but I'll keep him dry.
>>
>>2478099
you're bonded to him now so you he's yours forever; this is the best way to get a cat (most of mine came to me in similar ways) because karma/fate, whatever brought you together and i guarantee you'll have a bro cat that'll love you forever so plan on keeping him anon cats are easy pets to care for i think you'll adore him in 2 days
>>
>>2478111
Good on you! keep us updated?
>>
>>2478112

I want to thoroughly make sure he's not lost, but otherwise I think that's the plan.

>>2478116

I'll be losing power and internet soon, but I'll check in here later this week when I get an opportunity (and probably ask for more insight).

Thanks again guys.
>>
I feed 3 stray cats on my porch.I`m in Texas. Since Harvey things are getting weird. There's a pack of cryptozoology dogs wandering about and about 5 coons hitting up the cat food and water I leave out. Tonight I have seen a armadillo and adolescent coon.

The big male cat I feed turned around to what look liked mouse. I stopped him and shined a flashlight and it was a baby kitten. He let me pick him up so I gave him food and I heard noises where he was and assumed more kittens but it was the raccoon who climbed into a tree and onto my roof when spotted. There's no sign of a mother cat. and this kitten has a coon pattern. I think the coon may have been mothering this kitten cuz the coon kept staring at it from the roof ledge and when I tried to give it food with a spoon on a stick it ran off. I went stealth for over an hour after I fed the kitten waiting for him to come back and get its baby kitten but no dice. not even sure if that's a good idea.

My big male cat inside will harrass smaller animals and the big male stray I feed will harass all animals. The kitten seemed to know people and inside since he started depending on me for protection and walked into my house like he was happy to be home. He's asleep next to me on the couch, once he decided my sleeping dogs wherent going to kill him. Not sure what to do besides put up found signs tomorrow but I live in the ghetto. Any thoughts on this are welcome.
>>
>>2478131
OK update. the kitten woke up so I let it outside. I told my strays it was my kitten so they where just curious about it and everyone was chill. The raccoon came back and saw the kitten and the kitten immediately came back inside. So I know the kitten is not a willing participant and doesn't want it's coon back. The coon seems more interested in the cats dry kibble now. Not sure if the coon just wanted to drop the kitten off with the other cats now. Definitely feel more confident in stealing this coons kitten. Looked up coons stealing kittens and no observed behavior. Supposed to be urban legend.
>>
Okay, update one: Grey is a meowing chatterbox and will not let me sleep. The good news is that he figured out the significance of the padded guitar case and litter pan. The bad news is he got them backwards and my guitar case is full of cat piss.
>>
strangle it to death
>>
>>2478249
Haha cats are dicks
>>
>>2478099
how empty must your life to be to be an attention whore on 4chan
>>
>>2478249
disgusting
you're a gross catfag now, congratulations
>>
>>2478269
rude
>>
You type like a faggot
I hope grey dies
>>
File: IMG_20170506_115405.jpg (39KB, 583x778px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170506_115405.jpg
39KB, 583x778px
>>2478099
I love cats more than the internet does
>>
>>2478145
Raccoon probably wanted to eat it
>>
>>2478249
Ahaha, sorry.

It's not his fault. He doesn't have a real litter box filled with shit that drives him to use it so finding none-litter to use it's going to be tough. You can try dirt from outside and pick everything else (clothes, shoes, etc) off the floor. Keep him in the bathroom since theres nothing in there for him to piss on only with his dirt litter box and don't let him out until he has used it.
>>
>>2478099
Didn't read the whole thread yet so maybe it's been said but the most important thing to do is buy a high quality food. You can see what your vet recommends because what is best probably depends on the cat's age, but I bought Nature's Instinct for mine and they seemed to really like it. It's more expensive than the usual Friskies or Meow Mix garbage but it has 44% protein and the vet said that's important.

Other than that cats are pretty low maintenance. Get the vaccines and check-ups as needed, and just keep a clean litter box. They basically police themselves. You can discuss with the vet whether to leave a food bowl down or have a set feeding schedule. My male cat got obese (almost 20 lbs) with free feeding and got diabetes so probably don't go that route. Then again my other cat was a free feeder and consistently hovered around 7 lbs and was just naturally a small cat. Just keep the weight under control and a lot of the later health problems will be avoided.
>>
>>2478249
if you can get some actual litter he should instinctively use it, just make sure he sees it and knows where it is
>>
>>2478111
You can look under its tail, mate. If it's got balls, then it's a guy. Even neutered cats have balls, they're just a bit smaller than regular ones.
Also check the insides of its ears, if they are dirty then it's likely it has ear mites. You'll have to clean them daily and get the medicine for that
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.