[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I train a dog?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: gsd.jpg (85KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
gsd.jpg
85KB, 680x544px
How do I train a dog?
>>
What type of dog?
How old is it?
What do you want to "train" it to do?
>>
>>2477878
German Shepherd
4 years old
I didn't train her properly and all she knows is sit/down. She can do come and roll over with treats. I'm just wondering how to "properly" train her without going to a trainer.
>>
>>2477884
Well what else do you want to teach her?
>>
>>2477884
You don't "properly" train her.

You address what problem behaviors she has that need to be corrected.
You also teach her things you would like her to know how to do.

So, does she have problem behaviors you want to eliminate?
Do you have specific tricks/behaviors/etc. you would like to teach her?

Most of it is just repitition until the dog becomes reliable on the command, and "generalizing" that behavior by asking for it in different locations, environments, scenarios, etc. IE: If she currently will only come without treats, you keep asking her to come much more frequently than you do now, in the same boring environment, until she has some reliability with the command and does not need an obvious "bribe" to come (but she expects a reward after). You then start to "generalize" that behavior by doing the same in different locations/scenarios, and phase out treats.

Optional is to enforce a consequence for NOT following through with commands the dog clearly understands (very important). Come/recall is one I don't have qualms about using an ecollar to reinforce so the dog, once it learns the command, then learns it is NOT optional to ignore the command and it then has both incentive of reward (pleasure) and avoidance of punishment (pain).
>>
>too much of an idiot to train a dog
>gets a fucking GSD

Yep, that's the material that goes straight to the shelter all the time with massive behavior problem that at that point can't be corrected anymore.
>>
>>2477893
>>2477895
Mainly how to not bark at dogs. I take her out once a day in the morning for a walk/run but it's getting really hard because the second she sees another dog she goes crazy. She was never socialized as a puppy because she got parvo and was hospitalized for a while. Vet said that she couldn't be with any other dogs for a period of time
>>
>>2477912
Ok, so you want to work on "dog reactivity".

There's all sorts of different ways to work with a dog with behavior problems. There's no cookie cutter solution for them.

You can google and watch videos with the term "dog reactivity" though -- because that's what she has.

It's pretty common. GSDs are more likely to be like this than say, a lab. My little cattle dog mix is also somewhat, but she's gotten better over time with various training/desensitization. You have to find what "works" with your specific dog though.
>>
>>2477930
I'm gonna chime in here, that I've always found the way to train dogs is really similar to how you train little kids to do things.
Just be happy kiss them and give them candy if they do good, and when they do bad things just say "No!" firmly.

Usually when dogs do bad things they know and their ears go down and so does their stare. They can also read expressions really well. If you stare your dog down he will stop doing what he was doing before. Same thing works with stepping up to them and walking heavy if they do something really bad, like barking at night or pooping inside.

I've had a few dogs and these really basic things worked for me in getting my dogs housebroken and to stop them from pretty much ever barking. Had a cockerspaniel, a pitbull, a husky and a samoyeed, in that order.

Pretty much 110% of all dogs ever born have always been good boys, they just dont know it yet.

As for tricks, dont be too tough on your dog if he isnt on the same level as a youtube sensation. Although sit, stay, drop it, and come, are pretty easy to make your dog learn from just internet or youtube guides.

Anything past that I've never taught my dogs. Good luck with your dog OP.
>>
>>2477930
>>2477945
How how exactly would I fix dog reactivity if I don't have another dog to desensitize her to?
>>
>>2477959
>buy flea collar
>go to dog park
>>
>>2477976
What does a flea collar have anything to do with reactivity
>>
File: 1491455871513.jpg (179KB, 725x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491455871513.jpg
179KB, 725x1024px
>>2477980
It helps your dog avoid getting fleas from dogs at the park. Also that's actually not a bad idea, but I'd say before you go IN to the dog park I'd slowly build up to it by just letting your dog go on a walk near the park on the outside and sniffing at the other dogs through the fence so she doesn't attack them and get you in trouble.
>>
File: Ayyyy Bawsds.jpg (149KB, 664x450px) Image search: [Google]
Ayyyy Bawsds.jpg
149KB, 664x450px
>>2477912
Hey fellow shepherd owner here and I want to say
>>2477930
this guy got it right. I always used positive reinforcement and treats to train my dogs but this latest one only responds to the e-collar when it comes to other dogs. You can get a cheap one off amazon for like 20-30 bucks if you're interested. The one I got has a vibrate function as well as a bell if you're adverse to shocking the dog.
>>
>>2477959
You encounter dogs on walks, don't you?
Go for more walks, especially in areas/times you know other walkers will be around. Practice getting the dog to be calm when other dogs pass by, increase the distance you can have to other dogs (ie: see another dog coming, get off the trail and move to the side/across the street/whatever applicable, until the dog is behaved at that distance). Look at stuff about the BAT system.

She knows how to sit/down? Yes? Get her reliable on that and try to get her to sit and engage her in situations where she is at the beginning stages of reactivity. Work on getting her attention on you instead of the trigger. Decrease distance from trigger, work on calmness/focus on you. Repeat.
E-Collars are an option/necessity for some dogs with reactivity. I would not go for them first, though.

Also DON'T take her to a dog park like the other anon suggested. You do not want to turn her loose with other dogs, or have her around other unrestrained dogs, when she is reactive. That is asking for a problem. Flea collars are also trash. Your dog is probably already getting flea drops like advantage/frontline anyway (or they should).

>>2478002
I bought a cheap one once. Would not reccomend. It automatically turned off after a period if inactivity, rendering it useless. Leave it on the dog for 40 minutes, unable to use it when a trigger happens. The remote also was plastic/cheap and the button made a click noise too noticeable to the dog and too similar to a clicker. The dog began to associate the clicking noise with a correction, which muddied clicker/marker training. The garmin one has quiet buttons, is waterproof, good battery, and no auto-shutoff. Maybe you got a better one, though.
>>
>>2478030
What can be done if she pretty much goes straight to red zone the second she sees another dog?
>>
>>2478033
How far away?
If you are say, at the far end of a Petsmart parking lot, and she sees a dog way up at the store itself, does she start barking and growling?
>>
>>2478042
Pretty much the second a dog is in her line of sight
>>
>>2478030
Pretty sure this one is it:
https://www.amazon.com/Training-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Vibration-Electronic/dp/B071454HNC/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1505098184&sr=1-8&keywords=e+collar&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

We went by the customer reviews and after 4 months it's still fully functional, no clicking when hitting the button and works like a charm. My only complaint is the shock is pretty strong, better to keep it at 1-10 even though it goes all the way up to 100.
>>
>>2478052
You might just have to wait it out with her and keep exposing her, then. Wait with her in places you know there will be dogs often, like near a dog park, outside Petsmart, etc. and let her see and freak out around many dogs over and over again in a session--after a few times in a single sitting she'll probably become less reactive.
>>
>>2478052
>get dog near other dogs
>dog gets aggressive
>smack dog repeatedly
>????
>profit
>>
>>2478066
This might work but there are better options in the sense that it won't hurt your companion.
>>
>>2478066
From what I understand, all you're doing is teaching the dog it's not okay to display their natural warning signs - growling, barking, etc. They will no longer display visible warnings and will jump straight to biting.

That's just what I've read though.
>>
How to make my pupper stop biting my feet? She is 2 and a half months old Rottweiler. She already knows sit and come, kinda knows down too

She has a giant backyard to play on
>>
>>2478517
Mine did this as a pup for a while. Grew out of it eventually.

Google "extinction" in relation to dog training. Some behaviors, especially with naughty puppies, work well with this mentality.
>>
Look up Pavlov and conditioning. Dogs have simple enough psychologies that even the basics you'd get from the wiki page will suffice.
>>
anyone give insulin shots? My dog does not fucking listen and it's impossible when a needle is poking you. He's not friendly btw...is it time to put him down? He just twisted his ankle from the raging...it's only been 2 days!
>>
>no experience
>gets a German Shepard
>hurrdurr guise wat do

What does it feel like being a stupid person?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.