[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it ok to have outdoor cats if you live on a farm?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: barn-cats-1.jpg (53KB, 352x277px) Image search: [Google]
barn-cats-1.jpg
53KB, 352x277px
Is it ok to have outdoor cats if you live on a farm?
>>
Yes, but you vaccinate and MUST neuter them.
>>
a ratting terrier would be better for pest control and won't spread toxoplasmosis over all your crops
>>
>>2476344
Its okay, i have 5 cats and they are outside most of the time, 2 or 3 if them are even neutered i think. I just love to see them playing around because we live near a pretty big foresty area
>>
>>2476432
I've already got a great pyranese and she doesn't take too kindly to other dogs on her turf. Doesn't seem to mind cats though.
I would get them neutered and vaccinated of course. I just feel bad because I know they'd be in danger of predators while my indoor cat is cosy and safe. But I really do need something for pest control.
>>
>>2476344
That's what cats were domesticated for. To keep mice/rat population in check.
Keeping your cat inside the house is animal cruelty, they need a lot of space and will develope mental illness indoors. Not sure wich kind of predators you are talking about but a good guard dog will probably keep them away. Don't be a dick, let all of your cats outside they will be thankfull.
Don't forget to spray your cats though
>>
>>2476574
Spray them with what?
>>
>>2476344
>>2476574
This and only this.
I've had multiple cats, the only good ones were outside cats. We had a barn, they stay in it.
They hunt 99% of the time, we would feed them maybe every few days.
They acted like dogs when treated this way. Not spoiled fucking brats like every fucking indoor cat.
They ran to greet us, they would meow happily and get a pat or two and run away like you just rocked their fucking world.
Cats are meant to be semi wild, because they are not domesticated. Never believe anyone who says otherwise.
>>
>>2476344
No.
>>
>>2476574
>Keeping your cat inside the house is animal cruelty
You should be shot in the face. But not enough to kill you the first time.
>>
>>2477044
>muh anecdotal evidence is the only way things work!!!
get a grip, kiddo.
>>
>>2476577
Some buttermilk ranch.
>>
>>2476574
>>2477044
My indoor cat doesn't want anything to do with the outdoors. He freaks out if I even open the door.
>>
>>2479321
Anywhere outside of the US people know this as a fact. Suburbs aren't very common, in cities people are forced to keep cats in homes but in villages cats roam free in and out of forests and gangs of cats have their own farms and fight other farm cats but at the end of the day they still come around for pets and some milk yes farm cats are addicted to milk like american cats are to treats.>>2477044 Growing up both in a european style farm and in american suburbs I can tell you both cats raised on purina and on milk and mice are both fine and can live happy lives. If you told some folk back at home that we have cats sleeping on couches and eating food out of tins they would have the same reaction as you are having towards barn cats.
>>
>>2479325
your cat is severely depressed
>>
>>2476562
Any animal you have outdoors is vulnerable to predators.
Maybe get an owl? Or make a nesting box for them somewhere on your farm if you don't want to risk anything.
I think you'll be fine, though.
>>
File: 1504367466590.jpg (78KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
1504367466590.jpg
78KB, 338x305px
Or just fucking buy some traps and poison and kill them yourself. We're not fucking bronze age villagers, there are means for us to take care of these problems ourselves now. Cats aren't even going to fully take care of the problem, they'll just keep rodents low enough that you won't be as bothered.

I was able to take care of the rat problem in my family's barn with poison and traps in a few weeks after my mother insisted on getting a barn cat, which managed to hide for 2 weeks and then crawl up into a truck's innards and get crushed to death. Which of course I had to bury. Just like all of the other barn cats that this happened to, along with falling prey to predators and dying in fights with other feral cats.

They were sweet cats, but outdoors unsupervised is not taking proper care of an animal.
>>
>>2476432
Women find the symptoms of toxoplasmisis appealing, why wouldn't you want to be infected?
>>
>>2479418
>buy some traps and poison and kill them yourself
Yeah, no.
I'm not going to expose my livestock to poison.
I don't think that's really a viable solution for a 12 are farm with animals.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.