[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Toxoplasmosis. I have no clue what it is but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: Decay.png (3MB, 1522x913px) Image search: [Google]
Decay.png
3MB, 1522x913px
Redpill me on Toxoplasmosis.

I have no clue what it is but I keep hearing it.
I'm ready for the truth. The whole scientific truth.
Or is it just some meme?
>>
Why does this board get so fucking triggered by outside cats? Cats love the fucking outside
>>
File: Really makes you think.jpg (13KB, 568x461px) Image search: [Google]
Really makes you think.jpg
13KB, 568x461px
>>2475898
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2475918
K
>>
>>2475886
Short and skinny of it, Toxopasmosis is caused by Toxoplasma gondii, a parasitic protozoa. Their normal life cycle is through cats and mice, where they'll infect mice that came into contact with contaminated cat feces. When a mouse is infected by it, their fear response is greatly diminished, especially towards cats. The infected mouse get eaten by a cat, and the protozoa reproduces in the cat's guts, and it's young gets expelled out, starting the cycle again.

Humans get infected if they were to handle feces from an infected cat, and can cause symptoms ranging from a mild fever to lowered inhibitions, much like how it changes the behavior of mice.

Now, the reason why pregnant woman are not supposed to clean cat litter is because if they get infected, so will their unborn child.. and Toxoplasma has an interesting way of keeping it from over infesting it host normally. Basically, if there is too much in a host's system, the protozoa will provoke a response in the host's immune system to cause a fever, where some of the Toxoplasma will go into "hiding", and the stragglers get left behind, leaving less competition. A fetus can't do this, and when the Toxoplasma will attempt to trigger this response, it ends up killing the fetus instead.

... unless I'm getting my parasitic infections mixed up, if somebody know if I got something wrong, correct me please.
>>
>>2476121
>Humans get infected if they were to handle feces from an infected cat
over 90% of human infections are from pork and other undercooked meat.

also the behavioral changes are slight, barely measurable in humans if they exist at all. And they only last a couple weeks until the infection is cleared from the system. And again, the idea that they have any effect on humans behavior is not widely accepted in science.

and finally, once a human host has cleared the infection from the body it almost always becomes immune to the disease. Meaning people that have had it (and most people in the world have) aren't affected by it again.
>>
>>2476121
You forgot the part where it is asymptomatic the majority of the time, and 50% of the population is infected currently, even without owning a cat.
>>
File: 1497679226884.jpg (301KB, 750x750px)
1497679226884.jpg
301KB, 750x750px
>>2476131
Thanks for straightening that out for me, I swear I need to stop posting things while running on 2 hours of sleep.
>>
File: girls_laughing.jpg (30KB, 398x241px)
girls_laughing.jpg
30KB, 398x241px
>>2476140
Yes, I'm sure you "accidentally" spouted the same bullshit that gets said here every week for the last 8 years.

just a coincidence, you're not OP and you're not trolling at all.
>>
>>2476143
Yes anon, I'm glad you're not a overly paranoid doofus.
>>
>>2476131
t.oxoplasmosis
>>
>>2476121
You forgot to mention that a vast majority of toxo infections in humans are largely asymptotatic, and the protozoa is only harmful to people who are immunocompromised or pregnant (which you did mention to your credit).

Basically unless your a faggot with full blown AIDS or are a pregnant woman, toxo is just a meme
>>
File: Proof I'm not him.png (128KB, 749x506px)
Proof I'm not him.png
128KB, 749x506px
>>2476143
I'm the OP and I'm not him. I can prove it.
>>
>>2476131
Since when toxoplasma gondii stays in the muscle of the animal? Or do you refer to after handling cat feces you eat or the cat shits on the meat or something?

Toxoplasma gondii's definitive and only host is the cat. You might be confusing it with trichinella spiralis.
>>
>>2476518
Still me.

Here's a reliable source. https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/index.html

I'm a med student and our prof told us to learn the biological cycle from this site and you can access it too if you click on "Biology", underneath the little wall of text.
>>
>>2476518
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

>Ingestion of raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison containing Toxoplasma cysts: Infection prevalence in countries where undercooked meat is traditionally eaten has been related to this transmission method. Tissue cysts may also be ingested during hand-to-mouth contact after handling undercooked meat, or from using knives, utensils, or cutting boards contaminated by raw meat.

It also explains that t. gondii can survive in muscle tissue too.
>>
>>2476521
Yeah , my bad. Did parasitology 2 years ago. Sorry!
>>
>>2476518

Bullshit.

Cats are the only animal in which T. Gondii can reproduce sexually, they can however reside and asexually reproduce within the bodies of other vertebrates.

t. Normie who knows how to use fucking Google
>>
>>2476526
>t. white knight
Read the other stuff that got posted , lad. I said I'm mistaken.
>>
>>2476131

Almost all of this is also bullshit. The parasite is in your brain for life. You do not recover from it you simply show flu like symptoms upon infection and then the symptoms go away however the parasite still resides within your brain(active)/muscle (cystal) tissues.

Behavioural changes are not slight, the more research is done the more scientists realise that this thing is linked to a plethora of mental disorders including schizophrenia. "Not widely accepted" is also just a bullshit meme, no one accepted the platypus or the current cosmological model for a long time either (there are a million other examples).

tl;dr anon is a T. Gondii apologist furfag cat lover who can't accept that his little outdoor shitstain is a menace to humanity and the ecosystem.
>>
>>2476522
>someone admitted they were wrong on the internet
This doesn't happen often. I respect you, anon.
>>
>>2476529

How the fuck is that white knighting? Do you even know what that means?

>being this fucking new/reddit
>>
>>2476531
Thanks, anon. I wanted to redpill OP from the top of my head and the rest of my parasitology knowledge. Looks like I became rusty, also thanks for refreshing my memory!
>>
toxoplasmosis comes from cats directly or indirectly
if you get it from undercooked meat it's because cats have been shitting in the pastures where the meat came from
catfags like to claim that it doesn't matter because most cases of it are asymptomatic but it has been linked to schizophrenia, brain cancer, suicide, bipolar disorder and more
>>
>>2476358
Kek
>>
File: 64c.jpg (91KB, 532x652px)
64c.jpg
91KB, 532x652px
OP here. Wow I'm grossed out. But hey at least I'm informed now.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.