[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens to alligators in a hurricane?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: Steve-Irwin-009.jpg (14KB, 300x180px) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Irwin-009.jpg
14KB, 300x180px
What happens to alligators when a hurricane strikes? Does it bother them at all, or do they just swim around all over the place eating fish and drowned mammals? If they get lifted up by the wind and hurled through the air, do their scales protect them? And what happens to all the baby alligators at alligator farms, do they just blow away, or are they taken somewhere safe and kept in a box? Impossible to find this sort of information by conventional means, hence have come here. Please assist.
>>
>>2475092
hurricanes have been happening for longer than alligators have existed, they evolved to survive them.

In practice they just slosh around in their swamps and probably don't get bothered at all.
>>
>>2475092
1. Alligators are a lot tougher than most animals.
2. Alligators can hold their breath for up to 2 hours in normal non stressful conditions, but if moving possibly 12 minutes.
3. Alligators have strong claws for digging out of bad scenarios.
4. They have been alive forever and ever.
Probably nothing happens, they find a plant system or little cove to chill in and hang on. No different than a storm really. Animals have instincts for this sort of thing.
>>
>>2475092
Like most animals they can sense when a storm is approaching and seek shelter but they're tough to begin with they won't have any problem with storms it's us coming in contact with each other than will cause problems
>>
What I'm more curious about is how big of a problem are alligators for people in Houston and soon to be Miami/Tampa. Like are there just alligators swimming through the streets, attacking people?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuSemj7wnhM croc vs stalk after hurracain
>>
>>2475431
Shit video
>>
The gators go into the flooded homes, put on the clothes that were left behind and pretend to be humans. Right now, there's a gator in Texas, wearing a necktie and sarcastically telling his 'wife' how worried he is about his 401k.
>>
File: gator.jpg (31KB, 460x314px) Image search: [Google]
gator.jpg
31KB, 460x314px
>>2475674
This.

Gators are everywhere, they might even be in this thread.
>>
Alligators weigh like 200 lbs. They're too heavy to be lifted up by hurricanes.
>>
>>2475423
I hear gators dont bother people and are pussies, just like black bears
>>
>>2475092
They just kind of flop around then wander off

t. louisiana
>>
>>2475092
gatorcane
>>
File: 1488418007825s.jpg (3KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1488418007825s.jpg
3KB, 125x93px
>>2475736
>>
Same way they survived ice ages. They go down.
>>
>>2475102
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT, ALLIGATORS ARE PRETTY OLD
>>
>>2475423
Texas here. Gators sometimes wash out of their ponds in big storms, especially in the neighborhoods near bodies of water. There was a gator chilling near a crossing in my neighborhood. It just stood still for hours, and even cars would drive around it because it refused to move. Honestly, the poor guy was probably terrified. After a few hours, pest control showed up and picked it up. It was funny cuz the gator looked like he knew what was going on. After they sealed his mouth and lowered the ramp, he happily just rushed into the back of the truck.
>>
>>2475092
Surface.
Inhale.
Submerge.
Rinse, repeat.

Gators tend to stay away from people if they can help it. I worked as a guide in Florida guiding people through the swamps for a couple years and never had a single gator get close to me or any of my clients, though you saw their sign all over the place.

When the flooding takes place, some of them will inevitably take advantage of the new waterways to do a bit of traveling, but they'll head back when the water recedes, unless they get stuck somewhere and surrounded by like traffic, or some shit.
>>
>>2477222
Scaly good boy just wanted a ride.
>>
OP here, many thanks for all the info, sounds like they get up a great many different things during a storm - sloshing around, wearing clothes, hitching rides etc - but nothing that involves them being in any real danger.

Still wondering about these enclosures full of baby alligators they have at alligator farms though - surely these could get swept up by the storm and blown away like so many leaves? But then maybe this is just natures way of spreading alligators around?

I just heard the Key with all the small deer on got hit pretty badly, hope they're OK, I'm guessing they're less water resistant than gators.

And presumably manatees just enjoy the rain?

What about iguanas though - do they just climb a tree and cling on, or do they have holes they can hide in?

And what about pelicans?
>>
>>2475423
Have you ever been to Florida? Alligators don't attack people. You're meant to keep a certain distance but in reality you can go right up to them. As long as they've got an escape route to some nearby water, they're cool. And in a flooded street I'd imagine they'd be massively chill. Crocs are a bit more impatient, but I think less likely to get inland. I'd worry about snakes.
>>
>>2475743
I dare you to walk up to a black bear and punch it right in the dick. See what happens.
>>
>>2476431
The hurricane has winds of 150 mph, but the important thing to note is they are *horizontal* winds, they can't lift things up, just blow them sideways. Considering gators have such a low profile to the ground the wind will pass right over them and they will stay unaffected. Even these dumb weather reporters are able to stand out in hurricane force winds and not get sucked up or blown away, and they have an upright profile that is as un-aerodynamic as you can possibly get.
>>
>>2477222
that sounds pretty cute actually
>>
>>2477004
Natural disasters are older than living organisms
>>
>>2477529
Manatees love fresh water for drinking, but theyll just ride the storm out by staying underwater.

Iguanas have burrows they can hide in, but they do also cling to trees.

Key deer probably got hit hard, poor things. Their numbers were already low this year from screw worm.

T. South floridian
>>
>>2475423
Florida here, hurricane was literally nothing so no alligators swimming down the street and alligators don't really attack people, it's more along the lines of ''dumb tourist thought it'd be cool to stick head in sleeping alligators mouth and take pictures''
>>
>>2477529
Anon, a lot of animals just fucking die. Life isn't a Disney movie.
It doesn't matter that much in nature, since the populations usually bounce back pretty quick.
>>
>>2476423
I came here to say this.
>>
>>2475092
>asks about allig8rs. posts pic of crocodile hunter.
>>
>>2478358
Holding a gator.
>>
>>2475676
What? Don't be ridiculous. How could a gator even type let alone browse the internet. Anyways, who wants to come out to the water's edge and hang out?
>>
>>2475092
They become airborne and rain down terror to the puny land dwellers.
>>
File: pffff.jpg (48KB, 300x364px) Image search: [Google]
pffff.jpg
48KB, 300x364px
>>2477529
>sounds like they get up a great many different things during a storm - sloshing around, wearing clothes, hitching rides etc
>>
>>2478524
Gatornato
>>
>>2475092

The same thing that happens to everything else.
>>
>>2478631
They hide in their basement and play board games?
>>
>>2478530
Alligatornado
>>
File: our.png (3MB, 2278x1718px) Image search: [Google]
our.png
3MB, 2278x1718px
>>2475676
Really makes me think
>>
>>2478686
I thought spiders were fiercely territorial and independent. Why do these not all try to kill each other?
>>
They are mostly unaffected. They spook alot of people because even though they are heavily aquatic they still like to find dry places to rest. I imagine they will eat what they can find once the weather settles down since the chaos probably gives them a minute amount of stress. I dont think they really get thrown through the air since they can just chill at the bottom of the water and come up for air when they need it. Responsible alligator farms will try to capture as many of them and set them up in some kind of temporary safe spot like a warehouse but getting 100% of them is next to impossible, they go after the largest ones first since they could actually pose a threat to people. If the water gets high enough they most likely swim out looking for a place to chill thats either dry or has a weak current
Alligators are some of the toughest creatures on this planet and hurricanes really dont do much to them
>>
>>2478792
If we made a hurricane made out of alligators could we use it to stop normal hurricanes?
>>
>>2477222
They probably killed the lil niggy.

f
>>
>>2478698
Many species are, may aren't.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.