[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bison restoration project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

To start off, I think it's a shame that the bison population has significantly decreased and only survives in fractures. In my situation, I have property in Nuevo León, México. It's a Mexican state located on the border of southern Texas. Bison used to roam these lands until they got exterminated. Now, my grandfather is a cattle rancher, but he's going to stop due to age related reasons on his property. Which means I'm already going to have cattle equipment which can be adapted to be used on Bison. My plan is to use this land, which is a lot of land, to start a bison herd. Around this land, there is plenty of public, government land that the bison can be released in. There's a river and plenty of space to roam. My property will only be used to raise the bison and create an established herd. Then they will be released. This will be done in cycles, and yes, I can afford this. What do you guys think?
>>
You will be sent to prison if you release them and they will be euthanized.

Bison need more room in the wild than you imagine. They migrate, and there isn't a lot of room for them except where they already are. If they start ending up in yards, they will be shot.

If you really want to help the land and wild animals, look into 'donating' your property. Call whoever you need in your state (like your township) and tell them you want to make your property more animal friendly. Even if you farm a little, they may actually pay you to replant trees, make a lake, make it a protected area etc.
>>
You'd have to find places willing to take them, but you can probably make some decent money from selling the ones you don't give away.
>>
>>2474482
Prison? I highly doubt it. You have to remember that this is Mexico. The last thing the government there gives a shit about is if you release bison in some desert.
>>
>>2474482
People in this place literally let their horses loose in public government property and then call their horses back once they feel like riding them. So me releasing bison there wouldn't mean shit. Literally no one cares. It's only 1st world countries where the government will care if you released them. Actually, not even. That asshole that released Siberian board in the South didn't even get in trouble for it.
>>
>>2474546
Boars*
>>
>>2474547

Just saying, if I was fucking around and saw a buffalo I would shoot it. They aren't protected by season or status in my state and every once in a good while you here about some idiot doing exactly what you are proposing to do. If someone let's their stock loose it becomes free dinner to whoever finds it.
>>
>>2474385
>>2475561
Here's youre reason OP, that's why we cant have nice things
>>
>>2475561
>Get off muh property Mexifag i don want no majestic wildlife on mah lawn!
pls consider suicide
>>
>>2474385

I'm sorry Op it's a dumb idea. What exactly is the point of releasing bison? If your map is accurate most of the land they can use would be up north meaning at some point they would need to cross the boarder into burger land in which it is very likely they would be slaughtered to prevent them transporting diseases. That is of course no one fucks with them in your country and they are even able to survive in that shit hole.

Not being a dick but I don't think it'd be fair for them just so you can feel better about them no longer being in Mexico. Raise them if you want but do what the other anon said and donate them to a national park or something if you guys even have such a thing but don't release them.
>>
>>2475818
The property isn't that close to the border. It's about 2 hours away by car.
>>
>>2475818
The point of releasing them is to restore their natural range
>>
>>2477722
You're going to be introducing a herd with different immunities and different communicable diseases which does not share the same herd immunity. Please don't do this, reintroducing a species into the wild is a very difficult thing to do that requires maintenance and monitoring of decades. This is the same with plants do not reintroduce species of plants that is the native variety because of the adverse affect it can have to the natural fauna due to the changes undergone in the domestic variety.
>>
>>2477726
Or said Bison populations do survive there because their ancestors moved to that place a long time ago and also had no immunities for that location and you are just a rewilding-hater
>>
>>2477729
It's not about the introduced bison, it's about the native population.
>>
>>2474385
They should DEFINITELY make a pleistocene park somewhere in america
>>
>>2477731
They kind of are. Look up the American Serengeti project. Joe Rogan talked about it aswell.
>>
>>2477726
In that case, what I would do is vaccinate them to ensure they'll be safe and won't catch anything to them spread. The other mammals in that area are white tailed deer, cougars, black bears, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, ring tailed cats. There are diseases that they could spread to each other, but I will vaccinate the bison before release.
>>
>>2477736
Once again it isn't about the introduced population but the native population.
>>
>>2477763
Yes, but if I were to vaccinate the bison, they won't have diseases to spread to the native wildlife, right?
>>
>>2477763
>the native population.
the native population of what?
>>
>>2477812
He means like the animals that are already there, like deer and shit. But as long as you vaccinate the bison, the native mammals should be safe.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.