[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 62

File: Triportheus-nematurus-a.jpg (301KB, 1119x747px) Image search: [Google]
Triportheus-nematurus-a.jpg
301KB, 1119x747px
Triportheus edition

old thread:
>>2469019

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.
Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:

-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>>
>the fish OP will never get edition
>>
>>2472778
I absolutely love them personally, but I'm afraid to get goldfish.

They live for so long, and are so similar to dogs in personality. I'm afraid I'll get way too attached and end up breaking my own heart if it gets some disease, because most of the time, vets won't treat fish.
>>
File: 1472371138294.gif (1MB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
1472371138294.gif
1MB, 192x192px
>tfw have an unused 20 gallon just sitting in the extra bedroom
>been saving up to buy the heater, filter, soil, etc
>just about have the means to finally buy my Amazon cart
>NOPE
>$200 on books for school
>$80 on car registration renewal
>back to square one in a matter of hours
>>
>>2473771
>spare 20 laying around
> no money
>gravel from the river
>driftwood from the river
>hardy fish species
>weekly 40% waterchanges
works fine for me, no heat, no ligt , no filtration
>>
How do I transport my ten gallon aquarium on a three hour drive? I just have a crayfish and a few snails living in there
>>
>>2473845
by emptying the thing, packing it up and letting your bros chill in a bucket for a bit? Damn dude
>>
>>2473845
You have to empty the tank. If you attempt to lift it while full the water inside will smash the unsupported bottom. (normally the stand takes that weight as the glass bows)

Put the critters in a bucket, and drain the tank. Use colder water and they should be perfectly fine for three hours. If you have a lot of rock or more than a couple inches of gravel you should remove that as well. I usually transport my tanks with 5" of water in the bottom and haven't had any issues.
>>
>>2473860
>>2473859
Should I be keeping the original tank water tho? So I don't have to cycle it again
>>
Man I wish the betta community wasn't a bunch of snowflakes.
>>
>>2473867
the water has nothing to do with cycling. The cycle is all in the filter.

you will have to cycle it again.
>>
>>2473867

Keep all biomedia/filter media in a plastic bag with aquarium water.

Makes your cycles easier after a move.
>>
Babysitting my friends betta while he's moving. Thinking about moving my two fin-nippers into the 2.5 betta tank and letting the betta use the 10g for a while, or is that a bad idea? We have practically identical parameters, same water supply and stuff.

>>2473825
I want to try my hand at doing a heavily planted tank with light and ferts and stuff. I just want to do it right. For now my 10g is fine but that 20g needs to be filled
>>
>>2473930
Seems extremely pointless dont do it
>>
>>2473932
Ok lol
>>
>>2473771
just pirate the books dude
>>
>>2473947
My prof wants to see us with a physical copy in class. He wrote the book so it's one of those price gouging things
>>
>>2474034
then tell your prof to suck a fat one. you are not obligated to play by his jewish schemes
>>
>>2474034
your prof sounds like a smug asshole; I never bought a single book at my time in uni
>>
File: AquStockImage (1).png (15KB, 550x90px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage (1).png
15KB, 550x90px
I want to make a mini pond out one of my apartment's concrete flower pots, since it came with the place when I bought it and the plant it has is ugly, and the floor is steady enough. It's 47L, measurements are in pic related.
Would I need to seal the pot in any way to add the water? How much water should I change weekly, since it'd be unfiltered? Also, I want to heavily plant it, since I won't be using any sort of filtration on it and it'll be sitting outside, would it be wise to put some cherry shrimp in there so they take advantage of the foliage, or just snails?
>>
>>2474121
sorry anon it is with my years of experience that i tell you, you cant use it concrete is poisonous and actually will degrade in water in a long enough time killing everything that you want to stock it with also you shouldn't get shrimp without a good filter they love good sponge filters
>>
File: 71u6XOtBqSL._SY355_.jpg (38KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71u6XOtBqSL._SY355_.jpg
38KB, 355x355px
>>2474121
If you want to seal the concrete, you could try this stuff.
>>
Hey yall, My new aquarium light turned up today, it's only a basic chinese thing but it seems to work just fine so far. One concern though;
It has three settings, Off, White and Blue. Off and White are straightforward enough but the blue "Moon" light is confusing me because there seems to be more UV light in the blue than I would expect and i'm unsure how that will affect my babies, Fairy Shrimp.

Should I hold off on using the blue setting if i'm worried it's giving off too much UV?
>>
>>2473743

Help me build a tank? Just went to college and I'm allowed to have a fish tank in my dorm. I'm thinking triops, or maybe shrimps with some plants, because of the restrictions I have, but I would love to have some fish if I could make them work.

>tolerant to temperature change (I have heat, but no AC)
>tolerant of light (I'm on a corner and between the two windows I get a lot of sun)
>low maintenance
>tolerant of poor water (I can leave the water out so it dechlorinates, but the water isn't consistent here for some reason)
>cheap
>>
>>2474171
Post model of light
>>
File: ROBO AQUARIUM.jpg (152KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ROBO AQUARIUM.jpg
152KB, 1280x720px
>>2474172
this would probably work
>>
>>2474184

I need living things. I'm used to getting up every morning and heading to the barn to do chores, I need something to replace that.
>>
>>2474190
i dont think the 2 minutes of feeding fish twice a day is going to replace barn chores.
>>
File: TRIOPS2bcdef.jpg (227KB, 640x316px) Image search: [Google]
TRIOPS2bcdef.jpg
227KB, 640x316px
>>2474172
You should test first how warm the water gets. Direct sunlight can quickly grill your tank.

Triops australiensis might be a decent choice since they like their water to be around 82 degrees.
>>
File: 71WxrSEY7NL._SY355_.jpg (24KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71WxrSEY7NL._SY355_.jpg
24KB, 355x355px
>>2474180
It's some generic light that seems to be everywhere on ebay and amazon from various factories. They often go by "Aquarien Eco" or some similar name.

The advert and instructions don't mention any deliberate UV but it is definitely making things glow like a blacklight.
>>
>>2474192

It's something though. Doesn't matter if it's a fish or a cow, it's a living thing that you're responsible for. I've always been proud of how my animals are taken care of and how healthy they are. That's gone now and I want it back.
>>
File: f32-460-sun_02.jpg (105KB, 800x641px) Image search: [Google]
f32-460-sun_02.jpg
105KB, 800x641px
>>2474201
Supposedly those are 460nm blue LED lights, so you should be OK. UV range is from 400nm to 10nm.
>>
>>2474205
if you want to be proud of your aquarium, its going to take more effort than you seem to want to put in. you will need to condition your water. winter is coming up quick, so you will need a heater. bottled r/o water is cheap.
>>
File: 20170906_132539.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_132539.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Is this the beginnings of fin rot? It's got grey tips
>>
>>2474209
maybe post a pic from its side
>>
>>2474206
Alright, thanks a lot anon, you've reassured me.
>>
File: 20170906_133638.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_133638.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2474210
>>
>>2474154
>>2474163
Thanks, anons, then I guess I'll get some sealant and only get snails
>>
I noticed my Amazon Sword has some babies growing on the stalk it sent to the surface. How do I go about removing and planting these? The little ones have roots already.
>>
>>2474034
Unrelated, but consider getting in contact with students from past years, they will probably just sell them to you for little. [spoiler]And better yet, your cunt teacher will see no money from it[/spoiler]
>>
File: images-1.jpg (13KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
13KB, 217x232px
>Roommate/landlord went crazy
>Had to pack the essentials up and leave in the middle of the night
>Left three tanks behind, including a 55 gallon that I had just finished setting up and added fish

FUCK

Everything
>>
>>2474267
that doesn't even sound remotely legal fampai
>>
>>2474267
Now you are going to have to greentext full story
>>
>>2474267
what state do you live in/
>>
File: tumblr_nwt08l6dRd1tiaz2oo1_500.jpg (27KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwt08l6dRd1tiaz2oo1_500.jpg
27KB, 500x433px
>>2474267
that's completely illegal but you're probably a spineless cuck who won't even sue the shit out of his landlord
>>
>>2474268
He gave us a thirty day notice, but we also know how crazy he can act, so we didn't feel like sticking around for him to pull some stupid cunty shit
>>2474269
I'll give the short of it, because to explain the whole thing would take a couple of huge posts, and all I got is a phone.

>he's always been kind of crazy/bi-polar
>about a week ago he left for Oregon for a week to visit his family
>In that time he doesn't make any contact with us and hangs up the phone if we try to call
>when he gets back he comes back with a fucking Uhaul and his whole Dads side of the family
>His dad who left him when he was a kid to start a new family, and who only recently got in contact with him again when he enherited his grandmothers house and property
>so he gets there and doesn't tell us shit except to give everyone a thirty day notice
>his family didn't know we were evening living there, AND his family asked him why we had 'his' dog in our room

Oh, also for a bit of background as well, he had told us his dad would be moving in, but not for another two years, and PROMISED and ASSURED us that we had a while longer to save up and get our own place.

So not only did he go over our heads about it, but he fucking planned it and thought it out.

And then he had the balls to ask for rent from everyone when right before he left, he payed no bills and no propane and we ended up paying the massive electricity bill just so we could fucking cook.

So again, fuck everything. Truckin it in our fucking car and going to laugh when that mother fucker finally realizes how independent we can be, and how much he was relying on us all these fucking years.
>>
>>2474272
He IS the landlord m
and you don't deal with crazy people who have suddenly inherited a shit ton of money, and could crush you in court.

You back off, enjoy your life, and let them make themselves miserable when they eventually crash and burn, and realize that they threw away their real family and friends.
>>
>>2474279
What a pathetic faggot you are. I hope you drown in debt, you deserve it.
>>
>>2474282
Have a great day as well anon!

Niw what kind of tank you got and what kind of fish?
>>
>>2474275
>Sharing a room with a literal low-functioning sperg, with daddy issues, who nickel and dimes you, and keeping valuable shit in there
Good luck in your future, but seriously, don't do that ever again, that's 3 red flags you got there
>>
>>2474275
dude you should have taken the fucking 30 days. at least take like 2 to get your shit together
>>
>>2474293
No I know. Were not stupid. Bur nothings black and white. He was our good friend for many years, and we saw progress in his attitude and acknowledging his mental issues.

But we also made up our minds before he got back from Oregon that this would be the last fucking time.
>>
>>2474312
I know I know, that looks like the best option but it really wasn't.

We're much better off in our car, going to work, and just?saving money. We can rough it out no problem for a few days.
>>
Anyone have experience escape-proofing their tanks for Amano shrimp? I've had 2 peace the fuck out. I assume they just crawled up the airline.

What materials would you recommend for escape-proofing the tank hood? I heard cross-stitching plastic canvases are good.
>>
>>2474275
are you at least going to go get your shit back
>>
>>2473743
my plants look like shit do i need better lighting?
i use the lights that came with the tank starter kit i have 2 94 volt leds on my 10 gal
4 12 volts on my 20 gal
i keep the lights on for about 10 hours a day
i use api leaf zone substrate is just sand and the other one is gravel
>>
I'm gay
>>
>>2474414
Pics of reef, pls.

>>2474345
>Amano shrimp? I've had 2 peace the fuck out. I assume they just crawled up the airline.
This made me lol for some reason.

On a vaguely related question, any other shrimp keepers here? I'm looking to introduce Neocardina davidi to a new 10G tank. I introduced fish and and cycled media already so the tank is good to go (not that these shrimp have much bioload to deal with), however this is still technically a "new" tank even if it is cycled. I.e. not a whole lot of biofilm.

Have any of you found that shrimp benefit from a truly mature tank or can I get away with introducing them to this relatively immature tank with supplementing diet?

Generally I'm not too picky but I'm about to drop some decent cash on these shrimp and I don't want like 25%+ die off if I can help it.
>>
>>2474172
What other parameters are not consistent with your tap? Get some clean containers (preferably glass, or shit, borrow test tubes from a lab class), fill them with tap water at various times/days. Go to your local petstore and have them test it for all the things they will do for free (pH, KH, GH, NO3). Chlorine doesn't matter as you can just get dechlorinator/conditioner. That'll give you and us a much better idea of what you have to work with.

Large, sudden temp swings are pretty bad for a great deal of fish.

However you can solve this too with a water heater and water chiller.

What you're going to want to do is shield the tank from sunlight. Even if the huge temperature swings weren't a problem, the excessive light is algae city.

In your situation, a tank is not that simple, however it certainly can be done.

If you can manage all these things, you'll find you have WAY more freedom in choosing fish and your fish will be much less stressed over time.
>>
>>2474054
>>2474262
This is a pretty good idea.

Professors requiring students to buy his or her book is nothing new, however if the professor wrote the book, there is little chance he or she will take the time every year to change it enough that previous editions are now irrelevant.

Yearly editing is a common tactic with McGraw-Hill, Pearson, and all those other scammer publishers. They change questions and answer keys every single fucking year and include one-year software licenses for supplementary material so that professors bribed enough to use those shitty books also make students buy the newest edition. Yay STEM life.

Luckily, professors hate doing that shit themselves, so unless they're REALLY in bed with these publishers, likely they'd have to edit their own question/answers and they're waaay too uninterested in that shit, so last year's edition is 100% the same as this year's edition.

Ask around. There is very likely an underground student network that shares old books and scanned copies of past tests/homework/etc on a dropbox or something.
>>
>>2474372
Generic lights are difficult to judge. What matters is PAR, and there is very little chance that someone has taken the time to take PAR measurements.

Watts, color temp, and even lumens is not that great a way to judge how effective a light is. Only PAR is.

Your only recourse is experimentation.

Of course there are lots of other factors. Substrate, nutrients/ferts, water parameters, even how the plant was planted (for instance stem plants planted too deeply sometimes have issues).

Tell us a bit more about your tank's stock. What plants do you have and what are your water parameters?

Sand is not a great substrate in my experience, however you can overcome it quite easily with root tabs. Problem with root tabs is that they do have to be replaced eventually (they last a long time though, much longer than say... a CO2 canister).

Gravel does at least have more circulation going for it, however like sand it is inert. Again, root tabs may help here although I have no experience with plants in normal gravel.

Be warned though if you go crazy in one direction you could end up with an algae bloom. E.g. you ramp up the light to ridiculous levels without CO2 and ferts; algae city.
>>
File: 20170906_181451.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_181451.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2474212
I've always avoided those types of bettas because I can never tell if they have fin rot or they're bred to look like that. That's why I got Tuco here. I'm pretty sure he's healthy
>>
File: tinky tonk.jpg (875KB, 1600x961px) Image search: [Google]
tinky tonk.jpg
875KB, 1600x961px
r8 my tank senpais, its about 2 months old at this point

the java fern attached to the rock is 7 years old and has been through like 5 tanks and 5 bettas since then. i have about 16 or 17 RCS in here, about to cull 2 or 3 due to poor color genetics, giving them to a friend. I'm going to start carefully dosing flourish for carbon so I'm going to try to add some kind of low growing plant, any suggestions? I really need something easy. I think RCS seem a lot more comfortable when there are ground level plants.

I also think I need to move the java fern as it over reproduces and blocks light. I've lost 2 RCS in 2 months, both just keeled over, I was watching one eat when he died just pfflurp fell over sideways.
>>
>>2474640
I don't get why people keep shrimp, that tank looks empty. Do you plan on adding fish or just keeping shrimp?
>>
>>2474643
i just got them theres gonna be like 5x as many soon
>>
>>2474209
no, that's the fins growing
>>
>>2474649
Oh, huh. That makes sense.
>>
>>2474640
what brand/type of sponge filter is that?
>>
>>2474660
type sponge filter into amazon
>>
>>2474451
My 10g has generic lighting that came with the tank, as well as gravel and no ferts at all. The tank has some Java moss and varieties of java fern in there that are growing just fine. But I haven't tried anything more difficult than those
>>
File: succ.jpg (154KB, 877x658px) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
154KB, 877x658px
>>
>>2474640
Why did you put your heater in horizontally? I have one like that and it says to install vertically and the water isn't supposed to be over the line near the top
>>
>>2474640
like the plant and driftwood.
personally I'm against having driftwood centered in the tank. poor aesthetics and breaks up the swim area
seems a bit sparse but hopefully the plant growth will help with that
7.5/10 will look better with fish
>>
>>2474773
It's designed to be submersible I dunno about yours, I would think that indicates low quality desu.
>>
>>2474814
I wasn't planning on adding fish as this is intended to be a RCS breeding project to try to breed painted reds to sell
>>
>>2474872
in that case this is solid actually. have a swarming spire of RCS. still think you should offset it because muh 3X3 concept but overall solid
>>
>>2474893
I was thinking about putting the driftwood in front of the filter, they tend to go to that area a lot though so it's actually fun to leave it exposed. I think it'll look a lot better once I get some foreground/carpet plants in, but sand isnt a very good substrate for them in my experience and they dont want to stick. I wonder if I could put a disc in some type of substrate material and plant foreground plants in that?
>>
>>2474898
you're gonna need some CO2 if you want a carpet substrate. tried without it once and it turned out like shit
>>
>>2474903
all im gonna dose is flourish, yeah that shits a pain in the ass to deal with somebody should genetically engineer some kind of mossy groundcover plant
>>
>>2474870
There is clearly a line near the top of your heater that says "Water Level".
>>
>>2474915
that's the minimum water level, retard.
>>
>>2474917
Hey it's your aquarium. If you want it to look retarded because you have no sense of aesthetics, be my guest.
>>
>>2474919
>i bought a 9 dollar walmart heater that can't be submersed hurr aesthetics
>>
>>2474929
why are you avoiding the actual question of why you turned you fucking heater sideways for no reason? I have a submersible heater and I keep it straight anyway because it doesn't look fuck-ugly
>>
>>2474930
dude go back to /v/ please
>>
>>2474931
lol still avoiding the question
>>
File: foto_no_exif.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
rate my tiny windowsill aquarium
>>
>>2474934
cut your plants m8 jesus
>>
Does /an/ like my new betta? I'm in love with this boy. He's so lively. Flares his butt off at everything, I've never had one so angry all the time.
>>
>>2474934
are there even any fish in there?
>>
>>2474936
usually I hate white bettas but he looks less gross than most and I love the clear fins
>>
>>2474935
it is laissez faire aquascaping

>>2474937
no because they would eat invertebrates which make water clean, i had shrimps and snails there tho but they died :(
>>
>>2474950
so its not even an aquarium but more like a vase you say?
>>
>>2474950
Do you have any filtration?
>>
>>2474950
>rate my aquarium with no animals in it
3/10 garden with water
>>
File: 20170907_002138.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170907_002138.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
turned on my light in the middle of the night and found this. I immediately tossed this piece of wood, snails and all. How do you guys dry wood out so it doesn't rot and breed snails?
>>
>>2474965
you could bake it at a low temp in your oven for a while
>>
>>2474965
I've accepted snails as a reality desu. they're like tank herpies. came in on some plants I got from a buddy and they've been there ever since
>>
>>2474972
i managed to not get herpes but i missed out on fucking a few girls i really wanted to fuck
>>
>>2474954
my beta fish and my turtle were living there many years ago

>>2474955
no
>>
Can I use random wood as ifi t were driftwood
>>
>>2474979
I have been doing research into this myself. Some wood is toxic an cannot be used. You want to use some type of hardwood as softwood will break down quickly in the aquarium. The wood needs to be prepared, boiled for some time and then stripped of the bark.
What type of wood are you thinking about using?
>>
File: old_vine.jpg (73KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
old_vine.jpg
73KB, 630x473px
>>2474984
>>
>>2474990
A lot of people use old grape vine. Not exactly "random wood" though.
>>
>>2474212
Nyet fish is fine comrade
>>
People are telling me that Amano shrimp like to hide a lot but mine are all fucking nutjobs that rocket around the tank day and night, being cheeky assholes to my Otocinclus.

Is this normal or indicative of a problem?
>>
>>2474997
>rocket around the tank day and night
This could be them being happy little niggers, or them trying to escape bad water conditions. Are the parameters okay?
>>
>>2474999
Tank is fine and well established, they're in with my fairy shrimp and everything is good. Had them about a month now. They move together too, like two dudes having a good time.
>>
>>2474967
Ok I'll try this

>>2474972
Yeah snails gonna snail but I don't want their population to be very big. I just want a population large enough to eat fish detritus and food. I read that only the large ones can lay eggs so I've been picking off the big ones.
>>
>>2475001
Get an Assassin snail or two. They will just cannibalize them and in contrast to most "parasitic" snails (like Malaysian Trumpet for example) Assassins don't reproduce asexually, so they will just eat all the little guys and they won't spawn.
>>
>>2475001
my snail population is pretty stable actually. had the tank set up for a year and now I see like 10% of the original quantity, and they're all a lot smaller than the monster sized ones I used to have.
>>2475002
I've been looking for some since forever and it's impossible to find any
>tfw LFS says they don't keep snails because they die in their water
>>
As a student I would like to know what's the easiest type of aquarium and stock to have and look after
>>
>>2475007
A Marimo Ball in a pickle jar.
Bitches love Marimos. You're gonna get so much poontang I'm telling ya.
>>
File: 51uMG26dl6L[1].jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
51uMG26dl6L[1].jpg
38KB, 500x333px
>>2475007
>>
File: Brine-Shrimp1.jpg (113KB, 488x300px) Image search: [Google]
Brine-Shrimp1.jpg
113KB, 488x300px
>>2475007
a jar of brine shrimp
>>
>>2475007
I'm a student living off campus and I have a 10 gallon community that's heavily planted. fyi though, don't start a fish tank unless you know for a fact that you can
a. be around it at least once a week for the next two years
b. will not be disallowed from having one or be moving to often
>>
File: aquarium-fish-screensaver.jpg (173KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aquarium-fish-screensaver.jpg
173KB, 1280x720px
>>2475007
>>
File: sm.jpg (538KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
sm.jpg
538KB, 2000x2000px
>>2475007
this bad baby right here
>>
>>2475008
Thanks
>>
I'm planning on completely redoing my tank, like new substrate and hardscape.

I'm not sure what do to with my platies though, do you think they'll be okay living in a big bucket for a couple hours while I do this? I also have a couple amano shrimp, do you think they'll make it?
>>
>>2475019
What kind of filter is recommended for those bad boys?
>>
>>2475069
One of these or two should do the trick
>>
I have a Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series

What par does it have?? What kind of plants can I grow?

It's on a 20 gallon that's 16 inches high
>>
Do any of you have an oscar(s)? I don't understand why anyone would get one.
>>
Any cherry shrimp keepers here?

I have a good sized population growing in my 5 gallon tank and I'm at that point where I might need to set up my old 20 gallon. If I do what should do with so many shrimp down the road? Is there a reliable way I can sell them for a reasonable price to people who want to jump into the hobby?
>>
>>2475196

What's wrong with oscars? For people who want to keep a larger fish that's probably the bet
>>
>>2475200
don't they just kill everything, like bettas? and don't they live for like 20 years? i'm not comfortable keeping a fish that lives that long. seems like a giant commitment for fish for someone like me that wouldn't dispose of a pet because of a move or some big life change
>>
>>2475205

Well the issue and also part of the appeal of them is that they do tend to have their own personalities. Some can be aggressive to the point where they can only be housed by themselves but most I've seen have been fine with a tank mate granted the tank size and fish are compatible.
>>
How do I dirt a tank properly? I have This Miracle-gro organic choice potting mix lying about and I was thinking I could put it in a tank. Is there any issues with this soil, and how do I do it so that the tank isn't a brown cloudy mess? If that can be prevented at all.
>>
>>2475241
Put gravel or sand in a layer over it?
>>
>>2475186
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3RPTFoCSXY

Bad.

>>2475200
>>2475205
>>2475209
They tend to be the first "serious" and big fish that fish keepers get into. Shit tons of freshwater keepers go through an early phase of keeping/wanting oscars.

Then after more exposure and research most of them find that oscars just aren't that special.

>>2475241
>>2475247
Look up Walstad method tanks to give you some ideas.

There was another popular technique involving potting mix but I don't remember it. It did involve layering with other stuff to create zones of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria that do all kinds of stuff.
>>
>>2475186
>>2475300
I'm sleepy and I totally didn't answer your question. I should say you can grow low light plants, mostly. You could try longer periods of light and see if you can grow medium-light plants too.
>>
We're going away for a couple of days /aq/
Is it okay if I can't feed my hoplo catfish for 3 days? Will it be okay?
>>
Hey fish-bois, does anyone of you have interesting ideas to stock a 10g? Every source in the internet just recommends the same fish/aquatic animals which are usually rasbora, Bettas and the likes
>>
>>2475019
I was trying to find a place that sells these, but could find any. I know they were super popular a few years ago. You know where to get them?
>>
Hi /aq/ is Oscar a good newbie fish? My friend when I was a kid had one and it was so cool
>>
>>2475458
just order some triop eggs online, ebay/amazon/whatever for pennies.
>>
>>2475454
I like african butterfly fish. They are like a poor man's arowana.
>>
>>2475470
Sea Monkeys are brine shrimp, not triops; which are even more available and can also be excellent fish food.
>>
Just curious. I've got an 18g set up with an internal filter. It's mature and currently has a happy little community of one Betta, 6 neons, a zebra snail, 3 Amano shrimp and one undocumented cherry shrimp that appeared from somewhere. Heavily planted, gravel substrate.

I'm curious about what might be friends with this lot? Either invert or fish.
>>
>>2475606
I have one betta and 6 neons in a 20g tank. 6 is the limit my betta will live with. I don't think you can add much else to your tank. Neons are about the only fish that can live with bettas. In my case, my betta kills the neons if i add more than 6. He stops when there are 6 left for some reason.
>>
>>2475610
That's peculiar. My Betta is quite chilled about his tank friends though he does follow the snail around and I've never really worked out whether he's curious or wants to eat him.
>>
>>2475616
If the snail is bigger than his mouth I doubt he wants a piece of him.
>>
>>2475622
Mr Snail is bigger than his head.

Just seems to find watching him go around the tank interesting. He doesn't really pay much attention to anyone else except bullying the cherry shrimp who always seems to get away.

Any thoughts on another invert?
>>
>>2475634
Get a few friends for your Cherry and watch them populate the tank to the point of overthrowing your Betta and his evil regime of bullying.
>>
>>2475641
There's an LFS near me that will do a bag of 40 cherry shrimp for £15. I must admit confronting my little betta with that does tickle me.
>>
>>2474640

>>2474640

Maybe a bit more hiding places but if its for shrimp only its fine.

Also what is the name of that plant (with the leaves growing on a stalk) on the left next to the java fern + driftwood
>>
File: blue gularis.jpg (174KB, 1632x1088px) Image search: [Google]
blue gularis.jpg
174KB, 1632x1088px
>>2475454
Big ass killifish?
>>
What are some plants that I could have floating in a tank with a strong current on the surface?

I've tried a bunch of different species of lilypad-leaf-type ones and they just get blown away.
>>
>>2475454
Any nano species. You can overstock them since they're so small and won't look cramped in the 10g since that's not actually a ton of space.

>>2475490
I wouldn't put those in a 10g. Not that much surface area and ABF's literally only hang out at the surface.
>>
>>2475653
That might be a bit overkill. Get like 10-15, and have them reproduce slowly so it's a fair fight.
>>
>>2475675
I would legitimately consider livestreaming it but it would be rather mean.

I might try another snail. Maybe a nerite? Or will that bother a zebra snail?
>>
File: IMG_20170908_112816.jpg (1MB, 2784x2874px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170908_112816.jpg
1MB, 2784x2874px
Is my angelfish retarded?
>>
File: 91wnjiy8XqL._SL1500_.jpg (300KB, 938x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91wnjiy8XqL._SL1500_.jpg
300KB, 938x1500px
>>2475566
Since when? The reason for those three globes on their head in the cutesy drawings is because Triops have three eyes.
>>
>>2475722
Since 1957
>>
>>2475708
Has it been near any strong magnets anon? I think it's squint.
>>
File: 1504897156544608398800.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1504897156544608398800.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Is there a good way to get rid of the rusty looking algae on my plants?
>>
>>2475723
Fair enough, I'll take your word for it and I now stand corrected. Thanks.
>>
>>2475731
Snail
>>
>>2475758
There are 2 in there. Not doing a great job so it seems.
>>
File: 1482968380077.jpg (67KB, 575x750px) Image search: [Google]
1482968380077.jpg
67KB, 575x750px
>>2473771
>he buyes the study books
I pirated books and now I have plenty fishes, and you will have shit
>>
Built a $15 filter system for my poor man's backyard pond. Now all I need is a water pump so the filter can run constantly, a UV light to make the water clearer and a solar panel to power them.
I apologize for being a third worlder, which shows in my picture.

Can't wait until I can actually see my goddamn fish.
>About 70x Chirostoma (Was initially 25 three months ago)
>2 common plecos
>2 or 3 cichlids that I haven't identified yet, came with the Chirostoma in the same bag by accident
Planning to add swordtails and dojo loaches
>>
>>2475863
>needing a pump
might as well just use a bucket and pour it in by hand at this point
>>
>>2475865
>>2475863
sorry i missed the white bucket on first inspection. it looks like you are already doing that...
>>
>>2475865
>>2475866
Yeah that's what I had been doing since 1pm, it's 4:30 now.
Shit's tiring as fuck, I need a pump.

Also what do you mean ">needing a pump"? How else are you supposed to run a filter?
>>
>>2475867
i was >implying you don't need one and could just use a bucket since it compliments your setup to well.
is your drinking water that green? why not just do a massive water change?
>>
File: 1503124705881.gif (597KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1503124705881.gif
597KB, 500x375px
>>2475870
I get my water from a well but still I live at a place that's kinda high compared to the sea level so it's not always full, I need that water for showering and doing laundry and every day shit. I guess I could do a massive water change one day that the well is particularly full but my house is pretty big and I don't have a hose long enough to fill the pond by well water.
It would have to be by bucket method and fuck that, it's a 200 gal pool and I'm not /fit/ enough to fill it by having to walk about 40m for each 5 gal bucket which weighs about 18 kilos.

People in my country usually buy drinking water by 6 gallon containers to avoid drinking tap water.
I mean our tap water is perfectly drinkable but Mexicans just love their "purified" bottled water and it's kinda expensive so it would be stupid to use that to do a water change.

it's so green because it's been like that for three months without a filter. Filled it mostly with rain water because of the well situation, didn't seem to bother the fish.
>>
>>2475695
I thought zebra snails ARE nerites?
>>
>>2475873
kinda sounds like you are fucked until the next rainfall, or until you get a pump. you could always try making a bicycle pump.
http://newatlas.com/mobile-bicycle-powered-water-pump/15281/
>>
>>2475903
You're correct. I meant black helmets as opposed to zebras.

I am still shopping around though. There's room for a something and one more species would round out the community nicely.

On another note somehow there are now three cherry shrimp. I am entirely certain that for months there was only one.
>>
>>2475467
It's a newbie fish in the world of cichlids/big fish. It's a lot of fish keepers' first "serious" fish when they graduate from microfish. As for whether it's for you, that depends entirely on how big of a tank you are willing to manage.

>>2475434
Yes. Most fish can go for weeks without food. Many large fish can go for more than a month.

>>2475610
I had a similar experience. Had a 20G with betta and mollies. Everything was cool. The three mollies spawned a bunch of fry. Everything still cool. All but four die off (purposely did not save them because I'd have 19-ish then). Mollies spawn again. Betta suddenly becomes super aggressive vs. the two original females.
>>
>>2475863
I find this project really cool actually.
>>
>>2475863
Do you have a plan for protecting the fish from predators once the water is clearer? My knowledge of Mexico tells me chicken wire is readily available, at least.
>>
>>2475996
Lmao nigga you got a full-blown refugee invasion. Build a wall.
>>
File: deal.png (680KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
deal.png
680KB, 1080x1920px
https://mp.vibescm.com/p/1zsk8k?unique_identifier=fb19cd6a-20c5-4f78-b122-ff81bc45b7de

It's good until Monday. Go nuts.
>>
>>2475996
Black Helmets are also Nerites.
They will not harm another Nerite, such as a Zebra or a Tiger.
>>
>>2476114
I can't use it myself, but thanks anon, that's very kind of you.
>>
>>2476114
>16 tabs
Wat
>>
>>2475863
Water circulation is good to have, but you don't necessarily need uv sterilization. Some water lilies or floating plants will help with the greenwater. Check out Kaimuki Backyard on youtube if you haven't already, he raises fish outdoors in tubs.
>>
Any recommendations for a pearl gourami co-habitant? Upsizing to a 95L and am thinking about a school of rainbow fish /barbs but am scared of potential nipping of her feelers. Danios seem alright tank mates atm.

Also how far can over-filtration compensate for overstocking?
>>
Just popping in to say that pearlweed is a shit carpeting plant unless you wad a wad of it growing sporatically all over the place looking not unlike ungroomed pube overgrowth

should have just stuck with my first impulse and bought the montecarlo. For anyone thinking about it, don't get pearlweed, it's shit
>>
>>2476116
Thanks anon. Was also considering Thai micro crabs but suspect they're an expensive Betta snack.
>>
>>2475863
daphnia will clear that water right up AND provide food for your fish
>>
>>2474372
get a better light, one of the cheap chinese plant lights on Ebay will do unless you have demanding plants
get root tabs
start dosing liquid co2 in addition to the leafzone
>>
>>2476243
>Also how far can over-filtration compensate for overstocking?

depends
>>
>>2476329
great answer
>>
>>2475708
I think he has autism
>>
File: retardfish.jpg (480KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
retardfish.jpg
480KB, 1920x1440px
>>2476582
The reason I asked is because not only does he spend the majority of his time in the corner, his dorsal fins point upwards from his body instead of pointing outwards. Also his tail fin is retarded.
>>
I have really hard water. I've been using only distilled water lately for water changes and saw about a 50% drop in my GH. However now it's gone and shot back up. Any idea what sorcery has caused this?
>>
>>2476601
Is it true that water hardness doesn't matter unless you're trying to breed fish?
>>
>>2476287
thai micro crabs are pretty shitty to keep to be honest

all they do is hide and you'll won't see them 90% of the time
>>
File: rrs44m4b.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rrs44m4b.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>2476807
but they are so cute!
>>
>>2476601
>Any idea what sorcery has caused this?
probably your hardness test is registering the nitrate content of the tank.

other possibilities include:
1. you have a soluble object or residue in your tank that's dissolving into the water.
2. your readings are inaccurate either because you fucked up the test or because the margin of error for the test is larger than range of results you're getting.
3. you're topping evaporation with tapwater or some other water that contains minerals.

either way hardness still doesn't matter.
>>
So I have a bunch of dwarf catfish and sometimes they will all start randomly nibbling each other in kind of a slime tasting swarm.
They are all the offspring of a normal and an albino cat. The albino seems take part less in this but still joins in.
WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
>>
File: myaquarium.jpg (139KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
myaquarium.jpg
139KB, 1334x750px
Is it critical for mbuna to have a tank with a bunch of rockwork and sand in it? This is the tank I currently have setup and if I can go without buying rocks and sand that'd be awesome. I know I'd need to get rid of all of the fish already in here and I'm okay with that. I'd just rather not buy all at once and buy overtime to give myself the illusion of spending less money.
>>
>>2476835
Get rid of all that plastic clown vomit shit and the fake plants.
>>
>>2476862
One day. For now it was a free tank for my aunt. Thanks for the feedback though
>>
>>2476835
y do u have that floating biowheel tho?
>>
Where can I buy African clawed frogs? I don't know of a reliable online vendor. The NARBC is coming to my area though, would any vendors there have any?
>>
>>2476951
wat

those things along with the dwarf ones are a diamond does it at every lfs
>>
File: 1492298223484.gif (4MB, 158x223px) Image search: [Google]
1492298223484.gif
4MB, 158x223px
>>2476952
>diamond does it
>>
>>2476952
nigga, aint u got anything better to do than troll /aq/?
>>
>>2475007
how about snails?
>>
>>2476955
i'm not trolling though clawed frogs are common as fuck
>>
>>2476961
nah bro, people just get the two mixed up
>>
>>2476961
Well if they are, then they must not be common where I live.
>>
>>2476825
>WAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Okay, they are still at it even now.
is it a mating thing?
>>
>>2476825
what the hell do you mean by dwarf catfish?
>>
>>2477348
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_corydoras
>>
>>2476945
I returned one of the filters for being too loud and I figured if I kept those and got another biowheel I could put them on and hopefully seed it faster.
>>
hi friends.

I have an established, stable set up going on, its about a 50 gal tank. Currently i have a shoal of 10 neons as well as some meme platys my sister chose and some corys and otos.

I was away for the last week so hadnt been looking at my fish, and my friend had been coming in to feed and do the lights etc. I did a water change before I went away and another once I got back.

When I was looking at them just prior to the water change I spotted these weird white lumps on 2 of my tetras. No other fish has them, and there have been no new additions in over 8 weeks. Anyone have any idea what these are? And if they're harmful how to treat them?

pic related: weird white blobs on my tetras. One it has basically covered half its head, on another its near his tail. No other fish in the tank have any sign of this or anything similar
>>
>>2477483
Most likely Neon Tetra Disease.
It's lethal and untreatable, unfortunately. But worst of all it spreads to other fish as well, not just Neons. If you don't remove the ill fish you risk killing every single fish in the tank as well. Google NTD and compare pics and symptoms to make sure.
>>
>>2477525
interesting, i hadnt thought of that as his colours are good.

its almost identical to this though
http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=37008.0

Looks from his updated that the prognosis is potentially nothing serious. I'll keep an eye on him.
Anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing?
>>
>>2477375
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_corydoras

Exactly.
They had one "batch" of young and the population has been stable after.
But they do this thing where they "clump" around each other and swim en-mass tasting each other around the tank.
- why?
>>
>>2477608
like this?
https://youtu.be/hrK9xpWgR5g
>>
File: 1467192101655.jpg (21KB, 600x705px) Image search: [Google]
1467192101655.jpg
21KB, 600x705px
>>2477525
>had to euthanize a neon fish recently because of this
>at first I just separated him but 8 hours later the disease had gotten to the point of really fucking his back up in a spreading wound kind of thing all white and shit
I just had to, the lil nig was having a slow painful death
>>
File: cool cat.gif (4MB, 540x507px) Image search: [Google]
cool cat.gif
4MB, 540x507px
>>2477608
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_corydoras
>bred those
For real? Nice, they're kinda expensive for what they are here in some parts of Europe. Pics of set up? stats?
>>
>>2477632
pretty darned close.
Thanks.
- The more you know.
>>
File: p-89572-mosq-fish-22240.jpg (18KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
p-89572-mosq-fish-22240.jpg
18KB, 360x360px
Can a mosquitofish live in an unheated goldfish tank? I have one that urgently needs to be removed from my tropical tank due to it being a piece of crap.
>>
>>2477693
Considering where they live in the wild, probably.
>>
>>2477693
Yes, they can live in virtually any conditions.
They don't even need filtration or current, they can breath the thin layer of oxygen-rich water at the surface with their silly looking jawline
>>
File: diy.jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
diy.jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
Joey-kun is so handsome!
>>
>>2477779
joey pls
>>
File: 20170910_131510~01.jpg (2MB, 3024x3793px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_131510~01.jpg
2MB, 3024x3793px
Cunts didn't Link in old thread, and I was too retarded to look for a new one until now.
I've got 6 pygmy Cory and 5 Neocaridina davidi "wild form" (aka shitty brown shrimp) incoming and I want to know if it's a good idea to keep them all in the same 10g quarantine tank. Right now it's got a heater and a filter. It's barebottom. Anything in missing? I've never really done a proper quarantine before, for any tips?
>>
>>2474275

Why didn't you bring the fish with you? You can't just abandon your pets like that, man.
>>
File: 20170910_224655~01.jpg (2MB, 3023x3511px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_224655~01.jpg
2MB, 3023x3511px
>>2477894
Does this look good enough for 6 pygmaeus and 5 shrimp? I moved some wysteria and an anubias rock from the main tank. The filter is 118gph with some sponge from main tank.
>>
>>2477779
i love his big muscles!!!
>>
>>2478068
>joey detected
>>
File: AqAdvisor.png (68KB, 1052x636px) Image search: [Google]
AqAdvisor.png
68KB, 1052x636px
Hey /aq/ I bought a 52 gallon tank.

I'm planning to have:

- 12 Corydoras longipinis
- 2 dwarf gouramis
- 10 harlequinn rasbora

For substrate I'm gonna go with sand.
What can I add for plants or decorations?
Any suggestions for fishes?
>>
>>2478087
Plants depend on your lighting. As Mts snails and shrimp to keep your substrate clean.
>>
>>2478089
I'll add 5 ghost shrimp or vampire ones then.

For the light I plan to add some led ones but I still don't know since I'm still going to buy the filter and stuff.
>>
>>2478094
I'd recommend amano shrimp. They're very Hardy and super cleaners. So anubias, moneywort, Java Fern and water Sprite/wysteria to start. They don't require a lot of light at all.
>>
Anyone /arowana/ here? My friend used to have a beastly silver one that grew max length, I have a 100 gallon tank in possession and plan on getting one eventually. Are they hard to maintain?
>>
>>2478218
>arowana
>100 gal
you gotta add a few hundred gallons there, pal
>>
File: 1450938083727.jpg (21KB, 174x231px) Image search: [Google]
1450938083727.jpg
21KB, 174x231px
>>2478254
Well that sucks. Any other dragon fish that work well for 100 gallon?
>>
>>2477693
Yes but they can be pretty horrific fin nippers, so if you don't like your goldfish looking like they live with a blender, don't.
>>
>>2478258
Have you considered a Bichir?
>>
>>2474645

You should really keep something more than shrimp in that tank, otherwise those plants are not going to have enough nitrates to grow well, and your beneficial bacteria are hardly gonna have any ammonia to keep a stable cycle.

Get something like 9 ember tetras, since they'll keep the red livestock against green plants thing you're going for, and they're mid-to-top swimmers, so they'll leave your shrimp alone for the most part.
>>
>>2475454

Dario dario, aka the Scarlet Badis. They're a wonderful micropredator, and good for nano tanks.

If you're going to keep multiple, you need a good ratio of males to females... unfortunately, females are super difficult to find, so you might have to get several males and hope that the aggression is spread out enough so they don't all kill each other.

If you can find females, one male and three females is a good ratio, which will result in lots of fry and minimal aggression.
>>
Should I ever have to worry about my hermit crabs being eaten, is it possible for one of the large fish with a big mouth to be an autistic faggot and eat a whole hermit with the shell?
>>
>>2478407
Only if they have the right mouth for it. Some, if not most fish simply can not bite, chew and swallow shells. Puffers will eat anything because their mouth will smash shells like it's nothing, for example, but most fish can't do shit with their tiny little puny teeth.
>>
File: DJc0KNhW4AAUmcH.jpg (139KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
DJc0KNhW4AAUmcH.jpg
139KB, 1200x675px
Anyone know what these white balls/dots are? There's nothing in this tank besides the plants and rocks you see in the image. I've been ghostfeeding and I think it might be fishfood. When I take it out of the water it looks brownish.
>>
>>2478424
If you got plants, especially moss like in your pic, you most probably also have some little snail refugees in there too.
Those things in your pic don't look like snail eggs much though, but I can't tell. It could just be rotting fishfood, yes.
>>
>>2478430
The eggs are supposed to be round yes? I'll just keep an eye on it. The moss is from a shrimp tank that didn't have any snails in it so I don't think that's it.
>>
Well shit one of the mosquito fish I dropped in my tank was preggers
I got a bunch fry swimming around
is there an easy way to remove them, or will mom and the other random mosquito fish eat them?
I don't have any other fish in there right now
I don't suppose the ghost shrimp i was planning on getting tomorrow would actually hunt and eat them? I know they're opportunistic little fucks
>>
>>2478733
use a net or the fry will likely be eaten
>>
>>2478733
Either provide a shit ton of cover for them to hide into and let nature take it course or net every single one out.

The adults will eat them and the shrimp would too; abliet much less successful at hunting them than the fish would be.
>>
>>2478737
oh no, i want to get rid of them
Ill probably net as many as I can and toss them back into the pond and hopefully the rest get eaten
>>
>>2478733
I find that a fast enough siphon is a pretty good fry-catcher, they can't usually see the transparent plastic as well as a net, and fry can't outswim a decent enough flow rate. It can injure them, but for your case it hardly matters.
>>
OK I counted all the bladder snails I could and I got to over 200. Is it time to add assassin snails yet?
>>
File: IMG_20170912_153058.jpg (893KB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170912_153058.jpg
893KB, 2304x4096px
Git a betta recently, its tail pulls it to the top of the tank. I figured swim bladder, so i fasted it and fed it peas but still nothing. At the end of the body it curves up and im worried it's not just constipation or overfeeding. What do you guys think?
>>
File: 20170912_160543.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170912_160543.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hey can anyone help me sex this guy? It has a pink belly spot indicative of a female and elongated fin feathers like a male. I'm not well versed in blue rams.
>>
File: 20170912_160503.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170912_160503.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>2479311
Better pic where u can see his belly color
>>
File: 15052471160261910971284.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
15052471160261910971284.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2479306
If u bought in a cup its just an underdeveloped swim bladder happens to all my betta that go from cup to bigger tank. Should be fine in a week from my experiance. #mydude
>>
>>2479311
>>2479312
I'm not sure about the sex, but he looks up to somefin...
>>
>>2479316
Sick, thanks bro
>>
>>2479317
Yeah he/she acts the way he looks to, he got business to take care of and even gourami twice his size dont get in his way.
>>
>>2477894
What are the purple plants in there?
>>
>>2479281
No, you gotta have at least 800 snails per gallon.
>>
>>2479395
Someone already told me I needed 50 per gallon though...
>>
I went to Petco and looked at the fishe. Their betta care sheet said they only need a 1/4 gallon tank (that already sounds too small) but the tanks they were living in at the store looked even smaller. The fishe looked very uncomfortable and not lively at all.

Should I break in and save the fishe???
>>
>>2479405
They'll just order a truckload more bettas for $5
>>
>>2479399
Yeah that was me. I changed my mind, now it's 1200 per ounce.
>>
>>2479423
You fucker, I'm just going to get some on Friday or maybe tomorrow.
>>
>>2478062
yeah anon also add a small amount of substrate in one corner with some plants these creatures are all a little more sensitive then the fin nippers in your last dumbass stunt so be carefull they will want to hide and be left alone other then that good choices in shrimp and corys inspect the ten gallon for planaria as in my experience a lot of shrimp cunts tanks have planaria and bring it over
>>
>>2478062
also put a lid on it you fuck take no chances with shrimp
>>
Wow my Endler gave birth again! I managed to save most the fry again as well.
>>
File: 1431646671784.jpg (155KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1431646671784.jpg
155KB, 500x375px
>tfw want some of your fish to die so you can get new ones because you're bored of them
>but also don't want to take them back to the store and force them into a small crappy tank again
>>
File: huh.jpg (23KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
23KB, 310x310px
>>2479509
>>
>>2479509
>tfw returned fish to Walmart one time
never felt so guilty
>>
>>2479484
>Wow my Endler gave birth again! I managed to save most the fry again as well.
In a few months when this happens again you'll be wishing you hadn't.
>>
>>2478094
>>2478100
Ghost shrimp as well as a lot of other popular shrimp (neocaridina davidi or caridina cantonesis) are pretty mediocre at cleanup actually unless you have a ridiculous amount of them.

This guy's suggestion of amano is spot on. They are WAY better at cleanup.

>>2478254
>>2478258
>>2478363
The 100G tank will last the arowana a while though. So you could keep a small one for at least a year before you have to start thinking about re-homing or building a new tank.

And if your arowana is alive and healthy after a year and you can find a buyer, it'd be a decent chunk of change to buy other fish. Especially if you do not live in the US and can get/raise an asian arowana.
>>
>>2479585
This was her third batch. I'm not sure I will save the fry next time. My girlfriend already said she hopes that they all got ate.
>>
>>2479596
This is pretty much how my GF reacts now with our mollies. First time "OMG save all the fry," second time, "Okay that's a lot of fish," third time, "WTF."

Ironically the survival rate was inversely proportional to her interest in them. First batch didn't fare so well. Second we had a significant amount of survivors. Third, I don't think any even died. Counted around 15 (new fry) day 1, still count about 15 a month later.

Each time I have given zero shits and effort into saving the fry. The only difference I guess is that the tank is more mature and some of the plants have grown out, so I assume the fry have more readily available food sources. I would say hiding spots but they don't even bother hiding.
>>
>>2479431
Yeah no shit Sherlock. You don't need snails to feed an Assassin, he will eat any carnivore-oriented fishfood.
>>
>>2479619
I have been purposely letting bladder snails infest my aquarium in order to add in asssassin snails. I'm sure they would eat any fish food, considering it is mostly fish meal anyways.
>>
>>2477699
>>2477707
>>2478360
Thanks anons!
I'd rather take the risk of my goldfish's fins getting nipped than have the dumbass fish chew on my shrimp.

(I didn't deliberately put the mosquitofish with the shrimp, it accidentally got into my tank from a bag of plants).
>>
I knew I should've gone with One Day Shipping. Now I have to wait two days for the Mopani driftwood to arrive, which means that i have a solid pound or two of Hornwort and Green Cabomba floating in my tank. It looks like a mess right now. But on the plus side I have a Java fern with half a dozen runners. But that has on it BBA.

You win some, you lose some.
>>
>>2479362
I think you might be color blind, they're definitely red...
>>
File: 20170913_060949.jpg (2MB, 3797x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170913_060949.jpg
2MB, 3797x3024px
>>2479470
I'll add a Tupperware with some sand in there. Added some plants for them.

>>2479472
Shit, you're right. I'll get one today.
>>
I'm trying to set up a DIY NO2 system for my 10 gal. here is the video I'm using as inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyrh-tS1E1Q&t=308s
here's my shopping list so far:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CUZJF6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3ORUXX1NV9L73&colid=1648W9YP3W13U
the tubing setup itself. I would like one that's Prime but I don't think I'll find one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002563MW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WEXXM704CRWA&colid=1648W9YP3W13U
some extra tubing but I don't know if I'll need it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002APUP8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I29WIT6KDFW8HY&colid=1648W9YP3W13U
the diffuser
questions:
do I need a bubble counter for this too or is it just an extra?
what kind of citric acid would you suggest?
>>
>>2479990
you will probably kill your fish with NO2
>>
>>2479797
What are the red plants in there?
>>
>>2479991
funny
>>
>>2479994
you are the dumb ass that wrote NO2 instead of CO2, don't look at me
>>
>>2479995
clever
>>
File: reinecki plant.png (125KB, 1226x571px) Image search: [Google]
reinecki plant.png
125KB, 1226x571px
>>2479992
>>
>>2479996
just use just sugar, water, and some bread yeast. make kilju and drink the results. pump the CO2 into your tank.
>>
>>2479998
Can table salt be used for a saltwater aquarium for an emergency? I fucked Up the water change (I used freshwater to compensate evaporation) and the salinity droped to very low levels (1.014 more or less).
>>
>>2480183
Not meant for the previous anon
>>
>>2480183
If your salinity dropped you weren't compensating evaporation, you have a leak in the system or you overfilled with fresh water. You're SUPPOSED to top evaporation with freshwater, it shouldn't affect salinity at all.

you might be able to add baking soda until the pH is correct and then add table salt to raise SG.

however if you have inverts in the tank (including rock) they're already dead.

and an SG of 1.014 isn't a problem for fish.

so personally I wouldn't bother. The damage is already done. Leave it alone and fix it when you can buy some salt mix.
>>
>>2480183
I should add that dropping your SG that low also usually kills your biofilter, so this tank will probably need to cycle again.
>>
>>2480187
I hope that isn't the case but since most of my inverts are from intertidal I have a bit of faith although not much, the biofilter thing really sucks. I'll try to mend this asap tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>2480199
intertidal inverts do better with brackish conditions. They may be ok. Do you have a friend that keeps SW? Someone you could borrow some salt from? Of a LFS that could sell you a bit of water?
>>
>>2480207
It's almost 2 o'clock in the morning, that is the main issue of why it's am emergency. Otherwise I would have just rushed into the nearest petshop or beach.
>>
>>2480225
oy vey, get a load of dis goy dat doesnt have either sea salt or kosher salt in his kitchen
>>
>>2480234
neither one is a good substitute
>>
>bottom frame of my aquarium is leaking water 10 drops a minute
wtf do i do anons
i don't have any silicone on me, and i have until tomorrow after work to buy some
>>
File: mold.png (1MB, 1172x592px) Image search: [Google]
mold.png
1MB, 1172x592px
Trying to do dry start method on a 3 gallon nano. I've been misting it for around 3 days but now the driftwood I'm using seems to be developing some type of mold. Usually it would be no problem to just take it out and wash it or something but I poured soil over my hardscape and if I do so, it'll definitely ruin everything. I'm wondering if the mold will just go away or if it'll spread over to my plants. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>2480355
Ever heard of mold just giving up by itself instead of being a very gluttonous fucker covering everything in its path?
I'd suggest taking it out and rescapping. It's a small cost compared to the long-term damage.
>>
>>2480458
Various sources online tells me mold on driftwood will gradually go away, but I guess you're right. i mean they won't harm the fish but I assume they'll definitely hurt the plants. Thanks!
>>
>>2474772
Used to buy the baby ones as a kid for a 1g tank not realising they get big :(
>>
>>2475205
Just adopt a 15 year old
>>
>>2477779
>Lost his Buddy recently
>Lost his baby stingrays a while back due to a manufacturer's fault in the heater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EzObDTkwQk

;_;
>>
File: Screenshot_11.png (290KB, 542x305px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_11.png
290KB, 542x305px
Please help me, what is this in my freshwater tank?

Photo taken on the glass, it is roughly 0.6-0.8 mm lengthwise
>>
>>2480787
copepod
>>
File: 20170914_142323.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170914_142323.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I got a betta yesterday and I still don't think he has eaten. He moved around a decent bit so I don't think he's fucked up. What do?
>>
>>2480801
>how_to_trigger_an.jpg
you're retarded btw
>>
>>2480802
What? I've had them before and they usually eat. Granted it's been a few years but this nigga is on hunger strike and I'm worried. It's like 15 dollars of gas to go get another and I hate for anything to suffer anyway.
>>
So I want to add a betta to an already populated tank with some platys. I want to get a female, but if there's a problem and I have to get a male how risky is it that he'll start being a dick?
>>
>>2480801
>>2480804

curious as to what your current body count is, not including this soon to be dead fellow
>>
>>2480811
I've had several in my life, they usually live about 1 year to 1 and a half. I had one live like 2 and a half tho.
Why? Am I doing something wrong?
>>
File: aM i DoInG sOmEtHiNg WrOnG.png (36KB, 623x206px) Image search: [Google]
aM i DoInG sOmEtHiNg WrOnG.png
36KB, 623x206px
>>2480817
>>
>>2480833
So what's the problem? Or are you just gonna call me a retard and keep this secret knowledge to yourself like a jew in the black plague?
>>
>>2480810
Apparently all ppl in this thread just talk shit without offering any fucking help. All boards really are just the most autistic ppl that have that interest. Same on fit, k, pol, everywhere. Bunch of fucking assholes that would rather insult than fucking help a guy that obv is not a fucking expert.
>>
>>2480847
A quick google search shows that they may be compatible, but to use caution.
>>
>>2480841
you need at least 55 gallons for a betta
>>
>>2480863
You retard, you know how big bettas get? You need at least 120G for an adult male
>>
I'm planning for a planted 10g (42lts), and this one reputable LFS is offering two low-requieremt plant packs: one includes four plant species, and the other, eight. You get 3-5 stems of each species, so the first pack would have 12-20 stems, the second one 24-40. Independently from the plants' species, just how densely planted would the tank end up being? I imagine the first pack would be good enough and the second one would be an aquatic jungle
>>
Ok, betta noob here again, I feel that I've calmed down and figured out that perhaps he needs a bigger tank. I have one that I had a praying mantis in that's def big enough. I suppose I'll get a filter too. Should I get some kind plant? Real or fake? If real, where should I get it from?
>>
>>2480950
get fake plants so he can tear his fins on them
>>
Fuck you dude, fuck you.
>>
>>2480950
Real plants are good but require higher manteinance. I'd recommend fake plants for you, only get silk ones though
>>
>>2480950
Do you even have a filter or a heater?
>>
Technically not an animal but I need some help with my banana lily

I got it about three months ago and initially it went great, it was mature in the first place and three leaves quickly grew to the top to the point where I had 5 leaves. It's in a 3 gallon tank and I changed the water weekly adding about 5ml of fertiliser. One day I woke up to three of the leaves rotting so trimmed them off, it only got worse from there - the roots started rotting, and the remainder two leaves rotted away. Bananas also died. The plant is not completely dead yet as it still has some roots remaining and the stems are not dead either - is it possible for the stems to make leaves again? The reason I don't want it to die is because the root system is going to be a pain in the ass to clear out from my gravel.
>>
>>2481011
No. I have a tank that I'll post a pic of in a minute but that's it. The betta is currently in a much smaller one.
>>
>>2480987
Thanks dude
>>
>>2481039
>no filter or heater
this is bait.
>>
>>2481039
You're probably baiting but a heater and filter are non-negotiable for a betta. If you really want to see it live then go to your LFS ASAP and buy some. A light can also help but it's not as vital.
>>
>>2481057
Ok, but what is LFS ASAP?
>>
Not baiting but thanks for the advice. I'll get it a heater and filter Monday. Forgot to take a pic of the large tank but it's def big enough. Probably about as big as 2.5 or 3 shoeboxes.
>>
>>2481072
Local
Fish
Store

As
Soon
As
Possible
>>
>>2480861
>>2480847
I guess I was mostly asking about female betta temperaments. are they just the same as males but less feisty?
>>
>>2481487
Each betta will have it's own personality. I keep a female betta in a community tank with no problems. I read that betta breeders generally keep a sorority tank with only female bettas in it.
>>
File: 1419766906443.jpg (184KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1419766906443.jpg
184KB, 800x1200px
Was an informational stream on growing coral earlier if anyone is interested in watching
https://youtu.be/6ZaTYx1FOCM?t=1860
>>
Is it a bad idea to have an aquarium in a house where ppl smoke a lot of tobacco inside?
>>
>>2481688
Have a guess
>>
>>2481688
i hope you are trying to trigger /an/
but i smoke around my tanks no fucks given
>>
>>2481691

I'd think between having any sort of hood/lid and doing reasonably frequent water changes the contamination should be relatively minor? Dunno what effects the various compounds in the secondhand smoke would have on aquatic life in the short or long term.
>>
>>2481892
i imagine some of the smoke gets picked up by the air pump, but probably only a little bit
ive noticed no ill effects so far
but just like a car you smoke in, the smoke will cling to the glass, so clean it often
>>
File: 95 L.png (52KB, 607x192px) Image search: [Google]
95 L.png
52KB, 607x192px
Opinions/suggestions on my tank plan?
Upgrading my gourami, otoinculus (1) and danios (3) from a 10 gallon
>>
>>2479470
Still working on the substrate bit, but they all seem to quite enjoy this pvc.

(gfycat) / AlienatedEsteemedKid
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.