[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bird or Reptile?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Cock and Beard.jpg (392KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Cock and Beard.jpg
392KB, 3264x2448px
Help me /an/ons.

I have a cat and dog already, but I'm looking to get a caged bird or reptile as well since I've never had one. On one hand, I can have a birb bro sing and act like an idiot, and on the other I can have a reptile bro chill with me 24/7.

Sell me on either one. Pros, cons, breed, etc. The only exception is that I can't get anything large (only 2.5ft of space).
>>
>Bird or Reptile
Doesn't really make a difference.
>>
Not sure about choosing between the two, but if you want a caged bird, you definitely shouldn't get a cockatiel, or any kind of parrot. They're highly social animals and need to get out of their cages frequently. If you want something pretty to be in a cage, get something like a canary, a finch, or a sparrow.
>>
>>2472989
Nigguh dat beardie high af

>>2472989
>>
>>2473010
A cockatiel is what I was thinking of getting, but I also heard they make sloppy shits everywhere like every hour.

That's not a dealbreaker, but is it as bad as it sounds?
>>
>>2472989
>reptile bro to chill with
2.5 feet of space, so definitely no Beardies. They require preferably a 4x2x2 foot enclosure. Any other reptile won't be able to "Chill" with you, mostly just sit in an enclosure. Most reptiles don't like being touched.

>Caged bird
Birds are EXTREMELY high maintanance. More so than any dog or cat you've ever owned. They're not the extreme amount of joy that people think they are. They're loud, messy, and require a lot of work to even get tamed much less to the point where they'll act "Crazy". I'd say stick to dogs and cats.
>>
>>2473019
The shits aren't as sloppy as you'd think depending on diet and you get used to it quick. After all, bird poop isn't usually smelly like mammal or reptile poop.
>>
>>2473020
That's a shame to hear about the reptiles I'll have space for, but I'm more than open to a high maintenance animal. I'm going to start having a lot more free time soon, as well as free time in general, and having something that requires effort seems like a good challenge.

>>2473022
Do they stain deep at all? That's one of my main concerns. I'll be keeping it in a room with a couch and carpet and I'd be a little upset having to bring out a carpet cleaner every few days or so.
>>
>>2473019
Well, it's not about the sloppy shits, it's about it leaving the cage very often. Parrots require attention, and while they still might sing, they get sad and stuff when they don't leave their cages, and this sadness can lead to feather plucking and other problems. If you really do want a cockatiel, you should be able to take it out of the cage every day and interact with it, and watch out for the dog and the cat.
>>
>>2473025
Could you briefly describe your schedule? Specifically, how often are you home, and how often are you not. Also, do you have other people living in your home? This will help me guage what kind of bird would be good for you
>>
>>2473019
Cockatiel shits are pretty contained. Unlike larger birds.

Basically all bird shit is the same. The larger the bird, the worse their droppings are(which the exception of turkeys for some reason. They practically shit tar). Another exception is diet. Such as lorikeets who eat mainly fruit, their droppings are basically liquid.

Cockatiels need hours a day of attention. They can chill and sleep on your shoulder 24/7. For some reason cockatiels somehow have gotten a recent bad rep about being horrible around here but I think it's nonsense. They aren't as intelligent as large parrots but better than parakeets. People probably just expected an African grey in a cockatiel and if anything cockatiels seem happy 24/7 with maybe the small hissy fit. They are no where as near moody as larger parrots and conures.
>>
File: 1496969723636.jpg (47KB, 712x470px) Image search: [Google]
1496969723636.jpg
47KB, 712x470px
>>2473026
That I'm already aware about. My uncle had a cockatoo and used to teach me how to treat expressive birds. Interactivity is one of the main reasons why I'm interested in the cockatiel as well. It'd be cruel to purchase something that relies on attention so much and not give what it requires.

>>2473028
>if anything cockatiels seem happy 24/7 with maybe the small hissy fit. They are no where as near moody as larger parrots and conures.
This is something I've heard about as well. Generally speaking don't females act a bit more aggressive (or something else) than males?

Still a bit curious on if their shits stain bad.
>>
>>2473032
Ah, i though that by "caged bird" you meant something that stays forever in a cage, like most small passerines.
In that case, a cockatiel would make a really good pet. Their shits aren't that bad, poultry's and other larger birds' are WAY worse.
>>
>>2472989
If you really want a bird, and you have the time to put in, I'd say get a single lovebird. If you get a single lovebird, it'll fall in love with you instead of another bird, and you can get it trained in just a matter of months.
>>
>>2473038
Original commenter here, forgot to mention that lovebirds live like 20 years so make sure you have the time because you will have to be with it a lot in order to keep it mentally happy.
>>
>>2473038
>>2473040
How different would you consider a cockatiel and lovebird in terms of personality and activity?

At this point really I've settled my mind into a cockatiel, but I'm still open to any other similar birds.
>>
>>2472989
Budgies and canarys are low maintenance and don't require a giant cage like the parrots do
>>
>>2473008
Dinosaurs were more bird than reptile. Although they are definitely a transition between the two.
>>
>>2473019
Cockatiels are curious birds. Usually when there is something new in their premise they always go and scope it to see what it is. I never see any other bird I've owned do this.

No it doesn't require 24/7 attention. Just make sure you buy it enough toys and give it a mate so buy a pair. I've had about 6 cockatiels in my life and they're pretty well behaved when you have a pair. Single birds naturally need you to alleviate their boredoms.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.