[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anorexic Cat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 2017-09-04 21.10.35.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-04 21.10.35.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
My wife picked out a new kitty at the shelter two weeks ago, but he's got... Problems. He's got a persistent cold, and he's not grooming himself. He's got a tooth abscess and we've seen him eat an eighth of a portion of wet food in the past two weeks. This fully grown, rather large adult cat weighs just under 5 pounds. The vet gave us antibiotics and a nutrient jelly that provides the bare minimum for his survival, but he spits as much of it as possible back out when we administer it. He also won't drink, and his weekly vet visits have invariably included IV fluids. He has only declined since we got him, and my wife is VERY attached to him already. How do we get him to eat?
We've tried...
Wet food
Dry food with gravy
Ham
Cheese
Milk
Tuna
Wet food with gravy (ate half a portion four days ago, but none since)

Pic related, is cat
>>
>>2472972
Kitten formula maybe? Or soft cat treats.
>>
He is in pain. A side effect of antibiotics are also nausea, vomitting and problems pissing and shitting.

At that weight, he still needs IV fluids and most likely needs to be force fed through a tube. He will collapse very soon. Maybe in a few days, maybe in a few hours. I'm surprised a vet would even let you go home with a not even four pound, adult male cat.
>>
File: 2017-09-04 21.53.19.jpg (2MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-04 21.53.19.jpg
2MB, 3036x4048px
>>2472983
He's had diarrhea for a while, and just today he shit himself sitting next to me on the couch. I'm going to insist on an emergency visit tomorrow, and try the kitten milk with a syringe tonight.
>>
>>2472997
I would try to get him to the vet ASAP instead of waiting until tomorrow. Unfortunately, at some point of anorexia IVs and force feeding does not work fast enough to save them. Humans die all the time because of it, even when they are already in ICU.
The longer something is emaciated the more stress is put on the heart and other organs. Heart disease is a common long term side effect so I really can't stress enough just how important it is to get this shit as soon as possible.
>>
>>2473001
It's labor day in the US. Vet care is not possible until tomorrow, but I'll be on the vet's doorstep before he opens.
>>
>>2473016
Wish you luck. Keep us posted.
>>
>>2472972
I dont mean to be an asshole, but what makes people pick out "damaged goods" like this instead of getting a healthy pet? Especially if you're not a proffessional and you're not qualified to rehab them.Not only you are spending hundreds(or more?) of dollars on vets, it's also very stressful for everyone, your wife is going to be wreck when it inevitably dies, and you're just extending his suffering.
What was even the game plan here
>>
>>2473016
He's so sick and you're trying so hard. I really, really hope things turn out well for you.

>>2473053
URIs are common in shelter environments, and bad teeth not unheard of, especially in older cats. My humane society adopts URI cats out because 95% of them recover with time and antibiotics. It's very rare for things to get this bad.
>>
>>2473053
We didn't know it was as bad as it was until well after we picked him. My wife spotted him in the far back of the shelter's catio and I clambered out to retrieve him for her. He was skinny then, but we all assumed he was getting bullied away from the food bowl. It wasn't until his pre-adoption checkup that his medical issues became apparent. The vet and the shelter were contracted together for cheap vet work, so the shelter agreed to pay for his treatment provided we take him to that office. We gave him his daily medicine and took loving care of him so that he could recover in our home as like an extended cat loan.

>>2473001
Also, we did find an emergency vet in the next State over. Unfortunately, we will be on the hook for this vet bill. It's in the same network as the vet that's contracted with the shelter, so they may be able to reduce the bill for us. The care estimate is 490-590. I guess I'll get more hours at job #2 to pay for it.
>>
>>2472997
Don't give an adult cat lactose rich milk, they don't metabolise it well and it can make them even more sick.
>>
They can't do anything for him. It's too late. Euthanasia is in an hour and a half.
>>
>>2473379
F
>>
>>2473379
Rest in peace, kitty.

OP, you did your best. It's sad it doesn't always work out, but you did your best to alleviate some of the Earth's suffering, and that's commendable. Thank you for trying. I'm certain he likes his days in a warm, peaceful loving home more than in the crowded shelter.
>>
>>2473379
Sorry, OP. Was his organs going?
>>
>>2473379
F

He would have died regardless, but he got to spend time in a safe and caring environment during his last days. He knew security and love. That matters.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.