[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog Overbite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: overbite dog.jpg (246KB, 605x604px) Image search: [Google]
overbite dog.jpg
246KB, 605x604px
I have a reservation down on a pup due in November from a breeder. She has a current litter that now has one pup without a buyer, because someone withdrew.

Two of the pups have overbites, both reportedly not visible unless you pull their lips up, but one will need its lower teeth "shaved".

Does anyone know anything about the prognosis and costs of overbites in dogs? Should I skip this breeder altogether?
>>
>>2471761
Shit. I meant to add she's asking me if I want this unclaimed puppy.
>>
Pene
>>
>>2471761
I wouldn't support the breeding of malformed dogs
>>
Looks like a disreputable breeder to me. I wouldn't buy from them.

As for caring for a dog with this condition, my friend adopted a stray like this. He didn't have too much trouble eating (though that can be an issue with hard food), but because his teeth and gums were exposed to the air she had to clean his mouth regularly to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
>>
>>2471887
The breeder is recommended by the breed's club, and does annual health screenings and otherwise has what seem to be solid dogs. Not the best I could buy, but good. But the 2/7 of her current litter's pups having overbites is concerning.

I don't have an actual pictures of the pups. Pic related is just to grab some attention.
>>
>>2471890
But still, getting a puppy from that litter will make them think that it's fine to not look into the genetics of the parents more carefully.
>>
>>2471761
What's the breed?
I have a doxy with about a half inch overbite. Had to have one tooth ground down so that it wouldn't interfere with his upper jaw, and when he was a pup he went through a drooling when sleeping phase, but that cleared up. Otherwise he's been fine.
What's worrying is that it happened much at all, indicative of the parents genetics being a bit too close. What does the coat look like on the unwanted pup? Thin to patchy coat, dapple type markings, those are things to look out for.
All this is assuming a pure breed dog. Mutts are a mix bag all the fuck over.
>>
I have a dog with an overbite. Vets usually remark something along "OHHHH LOOK AT THAT LITTLE OVER BITE!!!!".

That being said, he also has a congenital heart issues, his anal glands do not express naturally, and god only knows what other congenital issues he has. So I would proceed with caution.
>>
>>2471928
Or, you know, they will probably just fix those pups and not breed that pair again.

You can't always know when a problem will pop up, but if it does, then you can stop or re-adjust the lineage so that it gets bred out.

That's what responsible breeders are supposed to do anyway.
>>
>>2472174
What kind of breeder did you buy from?

>>2472180
This is the mother's first litter.

>>2472171
>breed
GSD

>parents genetics being a bit too close
I already extensively looked at their ancestry and the parents have a little inbreeding in their backgrounds (like niece to uncle several gens back) and are not related, but I was told by people online that it's probably fine because it wasn't rare and far back enough to not affect my puppy.
>>
>>2472316
>gsd
run, don't walk, far far FAR away
>>
>>2472316
> it wasn't rare and far back enough to not affect my puppy
Meant IS rare.

>>2472326
Not show or pet lines. Most of the ancestors are either service dogs, search and rescue dogs, or work on farms.
>>
>>2472316
>What kind of breeder did you buy from?
He's a rescue mutt
>>
>>2472359
a gsd (any dog really, but especially dogs already prone to bad genes like a gsd) with physical deformities at birth is a canary in a coal mine
the people who backed out of the contract know what's up
it doesn't really matter what the "ancestors" were, it doesn't take many generations to completely fuck everything up
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.