[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pet Birb Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 20170902_143510.jpg (1MB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
20170902_143510.jpg
1MB, 1512x2016px
I got this lil guy about a month ago. He doesnt really play around his cage all that much. As you can see, I have several toys and a soft wood chewing log in his cage, but for the most part he just sits on one of the perches (the one he's on in pic is his favorite) and doesn't explore too much.

I've taught him to step up onto my finger, but it takes a couple attempts before he stays on for more than 15 seconds. In the last few days I've brought him out of his cage and into the living room. It takes like 5 minutes before I can get him out of the cage, and he's super cautious with everything. His first few flights have resulted in some less than graceful landings and bumps off the walls, but we're getting there.

Finally, his vocalizations are almost exclusively loud chirps. He doesnt really do that cute little chattering that you see in YouTube videos and stuff. It's all just sharp, shrill chirps. He does it for like 2 minutes straight then stops completely. Hes never in distress or anything during the chirps, just chilling on his branch. Im wondering if hes bored? I'm not sure whether to ignore it so he stops, or respond so he knows I'm safe. I interact with him a lot throughout the day, including practicing stepping up and letting him out of the cage. So I'm not sure what the chirps are signifying (if anything).

What do you guys think? Is this behavior normal? How can I encourage him to explore his cage a little more and play? And why are all of his chirps really loud and shrill, and not that garbled and bubbly chatter a lot of other parakeets do?

How is your bird doing? I'd love to see your guys' birds and cage set ups!
>>
File: nNDarwo.jpg (565KB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
nNDarwo.jpg
565KB, 4048x3036px
He's lonely. He's flock calling to try to find more budgies. Try playing happy budgie sounds and see how he reacts. I have three birds and my third bird (Foie Gras) is very timid. As long as my other two birds are with me she is willing to stay on me and preen me or herself. She is the green girle
>>
>>2471345
He's very lonely. Get him a fucking mirror. Of course actual company is better. Budgies can die from loneliness eventually.
>>
>>2471345
Also, can you post a more up close shot? Dude looks like a lady.
>>
>>2471345
Do you talk to him?
>>
File: 20170903_143506.png (2MB, 1080x1606px) Image search: [Google]
20170903_143506.png
2MB, 1080x1606px
>>2471532
>>2472042
>>2472046
Hmm, okay. I will try playing some budgie noises and get him a mirror. I play/interact with him 3-4 times a day for at least 30 minutes each time. I talk to him the whole time I'm playing, and also talk when I walk by the cage as well. I'll try to step up my interactions with him.

Any tips for out of cage activities? Like I said he seems more concerned being out of the cage than happy/playful. Should I try a smaller room?

>>2472044
Here's a pic. I assumed it's a boy but people have told me the cere color method isn't very accurate. Is a DNA test the only way to tell?
>>
>>2472139
He's probably just timid about leaving his cage. If you know his favourite snacks, leave some on the top of his cage. Climbing the roof is the first step of outdoor exploration. He has to get comfortable with leaving and getting back into the cage.

Nah, it's a boy. You can see the colouring better in this shot.
>>
Okay update. I played joyful budgie noises. He just flock called nonstop, the same noises he was making before. He jumped around the cage and I could hardly get him to stay on my finger for more than a few seconds. As soon as I turned off the noises he stopped flock calling. Should I keep playing the noises or try something else?

>>2472144
He likes millet but I haven't really found anything else he's crazy out. I left a piece of millet on the chewing log for a few days but he never went for it.
>>
i'm pretty much in the same boat as op, had my birb friend for bout 2-3 weeks now and he doesnt scream anymore, he even did some of the chattering
only problem so far is him shitting out of the cage, any advice?
also i really feel like playing some budgie sounds would be an asshole move since they arent real birds
>>
Get a second birb. The you won't have to worry about him getting depressed when you're out.
>>
File: chik.jpg (225KB, 972x1296px) Image search: [Google]
chik.jpg
225KB, 972x1296px
class birb comin thru
>>
Which medium size birb would you all say is the sweetest or most sociable? I want to get one in a few years after I read and research some more. I've seen people with cutie cockatiels but I kind of want something bigger.
>>
acquire additional birb friend
>>
Do doves make good pets?
>>
File: C9T63hOU0AErir5.jpg (58KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
C9T63hOU0AErir5.jpg
58KB, 500x375px
>>2471532
I gotta say, Foie Gras is a top tier name for a budgie
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.