[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

found cicada killer wasp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

So i found what i believe to be a Cicada Killer Wasp today outside my back door (pic just found on internet, not of the thing i found). Do i have anything to be worried about? i live in Maryland btw
>>
Compared to other wasps they're pretty relaxed.
Like a more terrifying looking bumble bee.
>>
>>2469907
Cicada killers are practically harmless so no.
>>
>>2469928
>>2469908
nobody in this thread considers the very real possibility OP is a cicada and is already dead
>>
>>2469907
Had a pretty bad infestation near my back door this summer. I just left them alone. They burrow in the ground and can get quite large. Males cannot sting, queens can and i think normal females can as well. Most of the time I see males flying into each other, its kind of entertaining. Only unpleasant thing is that they are territorial, so if you get too close to the nesting area they will buzz past you agressively.
>>
I really want to see a mating swarm in person

https://youtu.be/q7hKZEt81uE
>>
Put a little white vine on a plastic bottle. It will attract yellow jackets and wasps but not bees.
they will drown in the vine.
>>
>>2469907
Nothing to be worried about. They are a cute.
I once saw one carrying a cicada way bigger than itself. It dragged though the dirt, heaved it up over the lip of the window well, and I could hear it hit the ground it was so heavy. It left a trail through the dust as it dragged the cicada to its burrow.
>>
>>2469963
>need to scream
>have no mouth cuz cicada
>>
is that what i seen before? i live in pa by the way. i was walking through the back area to go to the store and i heard these weird noises in the grass. it turned out to be this huge ass fucking wasp sting the ever loving shit out of a equally huge moth-like creature. what freaked out was that both were the size of my hand. i never seen insects that large in my life before.
>>
>>2470163
My family used to get these in our yard in eastern PA, so yeah that's probably what you saw. Generally harmless to humans, but they trigger some pretty base parts of the brain into panic mode. There are a few burrows (they live underground) on the path I generally walk my dog on, and I have to suppress the urge to flinch sometimes, even though I know what they are.
>>
>>2470240
it was soooooo loud, and the bug was getting completely penetrated over and over.
>>
File: Threat Level Bees & Wasps.jpg (492KB, 843x1379px) Image search: [Google]
Threat Level Bees & Wasps.jpg
492KB, 843x1379px
>>2469907
>Do i have anything to be worried about?
>>
>>2471031
Where does the Great Black Wasp rate on this scale? I have a bunch of them living by my front porch.
>>
>>2471084
Either at the bottom or just above mud daubers.
>>
>>2471084
>>2471090
Actually let me correct myself, they're already on the scale since it counts mud daubers as all of Sphecidae.
>>
>>2471090
>>2471093
Thanks. that puts my mind at ease. I'm still gonna flinch whenever they fly near me though
>>
>>2471093
Yeah, it'd be hard to include an ass load of specific names for that family.
>>
>>2471031
wat
>honeybees below sweat bees and paper wasps
like anybody in history has been killed by a sweat bee

alternative:
honeybees (sheer numbers can attack even away from their nest)
yellowjackets (stumbling onto ground nest isn't uncommon)
baldface "hornets" (can get defensive but nests are usually easy to avoid)
sweat bee (only because of panic-swatting if they land on timid persons)

paper wasp, bumblebee, cicada killer, mud daubers (and carpenter bees, why not throw that in too) -- least aggressive, most damage they usually do is injuries from people tripping over themselves while running away
>>
>>2471218
Sweat bees sting more people than honey bees simply because they are attracted to people's sweat. It sucks when you are wearing shorts and one is on your leg and the shorts material presses against it and you get stung or when one lands under your arm or behind the knee and gets pressed to sting.

You don't seem to have much experience with these things in general. Especially, when you only talk about nests when talking about the yellowjackets and hornets. Do you go outside much? Ever been to a big picnic, BBQ, or anything similar with lots of people and food? Someone always gets stung. One guy here even sucked a yellowjacket into his throat when he took a sip of his tea. It had gone down the straw to get some tea.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.