[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

effortless 'pets' thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 14

File: triops.png (314KB, 440x464px) Image search: [Google]
triops.png
314KB, 440x464px
Basically this is for posting stuff which literally require nothing besides moss/food etc, to the point where you don't even need to replace the water. I basically just mean creatures which are seamonkey-tier bottom feeders but larger, such as Triops (pic related)

Just critters that you can't even consider a pet, just something which requires the effort and involvement of an antfarm.
>>
File: breeding_adult_1.png (615KB, 1800x1022px) Image search: [Google]
breeding_adult_1.png
615KB, 1800x1022px
Opae Ula
>>
For me, its the brown recluse.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
The common tarantulas and snakes are easier to keep than triops and plants.
>>
>>2466542
What exactly makes these special compared to, say, cherry shrimp?
>>
>>2466546
That doesn't really count

Snakes you still need to take to the vet and stuff, they get health problems etc. Sure both are easy beginner pets if somebody wants something to actually take care of, but they aren't 'spectator pets' like simple creatures such as shrimp or snails.
>>
>>2466542
This looks promising
>>
>>2466558
They are from brackish anchialine pools in Hawaii. Basically they live where the freshwater water table seeps through the rocks and where the tide also seeps through. These pools have highly fluctuating conditions. Some dry up with the tide for example and the shrimps retreat into the porous lava or limestone rock that makes up the pools. They even managed to populate a bomb crater with some water in it by crawling out of the aquifer.
They are exceptionally hardy. This has led to them being put in glass spheres without any openings. They'll still survive for a year or so without gas exchange, but this is not ideal as they can live up to 20 years in a simple aquarium with a sponge filter.
They are slow to reproduce as you'd imagine, and parts of their habitat isn't in the best state. Invasive plants and fish such as guppys, mollies, and tilapia are a problem. Each population is genetically unique as well, so it's best not to mix from different sources.
They're also really nutritious seahorse food, but the slow reproduction rate limits success compared to something like copepods.
Video by dlnr
https://youtu.be/IAhMOO2Ggh0

Here's the bomb crater, although I think the population no longer exists there.
https://youtu.be/Rx9ObQCri0k

A very informative video on care.
https://youtu.be/XOtnZ8bEKz0
Malaysian trumpets are a polynesian/ modern introduction. The nerites are the native companions.
>>
>>2467201
Reading this makes me feel really bad for them since all I can think of is the sheer amount of retarded normies that must buy them and keep them in little torture chambers like pic related.
>>
i failed at growin up triops' larvas
im such a looser
>>
File: 1502362809525.jpg (15KB, 284x224px) Image search: [Google]
1502362809525.jpg
15KB, 284x224px
>>2467201
>https://youtu.be/XOtnZ8bEKz0

>edits
>adds subtitles
>exports
>oh shit i forgot to stabilize the video
>>
cats
>>
Cyanobacteria in a jar.
>>
All the microscopic dudes that are living on you right now!

Also leeches, apparently
>>
File: Goliath-large.jpg (30KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
Goliath-large.jpg
30KB, 420x315px
>>2466541
Millipedes. They eat decaying plant matter and don't have very particular needs. Great for beginners.
>>
Bump for good thread idea
>>
>>2466541
I had triops and they were super chill. My sister had triops and one just went round eating the others, there were none left within a week
>>
>>2466541
>antfarm
>easy
To me this is like when people say betas are easy to care for because you can throw them in a glass of water and they don't immediately die. Raising an ant colony is actually fairly complex and requires almost daily attention.
>>
>>2468240
But who ate the last one?
>>
>>2468161
They actually have pretty specific needs regarding substrate and humidity, or they'll die very quickly. Obviously they're at the easy end of the spectrum, but you can't just dump them in a terrarium and leave them alone forever.
>>
File: Triops_longicaudatus.jpg (28KB, 600x257px) Image search: [Google]
Triops_longicaudatus.jpg
28KB, 600x257px
>>2466541
How easy would it be to get triops to reproduce? I know they can breed sexually or reproduce via parthenogenesis, but I wouldn't know the conditions they'd need for either.
I've always liked the idea of sustaining captive animals over many generations but this would be difficult with most animals, although with their very fleeting lifespan (~3 months) you could theoretically do it with them. After only a year you would have seen 4 generations grow up and pass on to the next.
>>
File: 3f0923c0a7a4824ead62b5fd06b78a79.jpg (130KB, 1111x875px) Image search: [Google]
3f0923c0a7a4824ead62b5fd06b78a79.jpg
130KB, 1111x875px
>>2468336
Should be fairly easy. I ordered a fuckload of different species off ebay when I was into the idea of it. Never actually got around to rearing them though. They need substrate to lay eggs, basically, but all their digging will cloud up the water. You won't easily be able to separate the eggs from the substrate, but you can let substrate dry out when the adults die off and seed a new tank with it.

This site is useful:
http://triops-eggs.com/

You'd probably have the best luck treating triops like fish. Get the pH right, use a filter, make sure they have room.

Also, I think it's just a specific population of T. longicaudatus that's parthenogenic. Those populations still produce dinky males on occasion. You should be able to find both sexual and parthenogenic eggs on ebay.

Fuck. Now I want to rear them again.
>>
File: $_58.jpg (33KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
33KB, 640x512px
>>2468336
You only need an adult and sand/fine gravel. They will lay a ton of eggs while digging.

>>2468360
Gonochoric longicaudatus are a rarity, you're not gonna buy them by accident. T. cancriformis and T. australiensis Queensland are parthenogenetic as well. These are the three most common Triops species in captivity, longicaudatus and cancriformis even have albino forms available.
>>
>>2468378
albino ones look dumb 2bh
>>
>>2468336
>>2468360
>>2468378
Damn it, why does such an amazing creature live for such a short period of time? It's unfair.
>>
Intestinal worms take care of themselves, friends for life.

Same as most parasitic creatures. You probably have two or three in you right now! If you ever get a random itch around your butt hole you might wanna get some pills
>>
>>2470485
they're strategy depends on it. they grow ridiculously fast, shit out fuck tonnes of eggs, die after a few weeks, they hatch up to decades later when conditions are right to repeat the cycle.
>>
>>2467201
>effortless
Yeah I said effortless not effort. Brackish=some form of effort
>>
What about a slime mold?
>>
>>2466564
if you take a snake to a vet you're an idiotic, unless it was extremely expensive or rare.
>>
>>2471376
So what would you do if your snake got an infection?
>>
>>2466542
>>2467539
You know, as a kid I'd go to my local park to collect crawfish and I was so happy, but then disappointed that we ate them after.

I'm not a vegetarian or anything but at the time I thought I was collecting the crawdads to play with as pets later.

I honestly might do a "shrimp" tank for a display.
>>
I have a fish that I haven't feed for weeks and I never clean the tank. Not sure how it still alive desu.
>>
>>2471117
Eh, they sell the brackish water in overpriced bottles online.
Plus, read this.
http://www.fukubonsai.com/M-L2d.html
This is a fifteen year old culture from wild stock. No water changes, no direct sunlight, it's just an open jar in an office, and the shrimp still breed and increase in number. They are malnourished as indicated by shrinkage (not as much algae or edible bacteria as they'd like), but look at the conditions they've survived and reproduced in for fifteen years and tell me that isn't minimum effort.
>>
File: _igp0331_18217.jpg (299KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
_igp0331_18217.jpg
299KB, 800x530px
>>2466541
>just something which requires the effort and involvement of an antfarm.

Larger Ant Colonies actually require more maintenance than most inverts. If they don't get what they need they'll probe their enclosure for weak spots to exploit. Even bigger Ant species can squeeze themselves through insanely small gaps/holes. Yeah they can do a lot of shit themselves like cleaning but I wouldn't call them effortless to keep.
>>
>>2466541
Dubia roaches.

I got them to feed my tarantulas, but they got too big for my smaller T to eat, and my big one never eats anyways.
>>
>>2472027
Forgot to mention, I don't even remember the last time I fed them anything. They just keep going.
>>
>>2472027
Dubias for some reason were the worst breeding roaches for me. Lots of adult die-offs all the time until I just fed the remainder off and switched. I had a colony of orangeheads last nearly a decade though. Surinam roaches are even more resilient. Those things can subsist off of rotting coconut fiber if you let it get bad. Really good roaches for spiderlings to juveniles.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (221KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
221KB, 1280x720px
cats are about as effortless as it gets. if you let them outside you dont even need to feed them or change cat litter.
>>
>>2466544
The best fast food spider.
>>
File: gty_pet_rock_150401_4x3_992.jpg (94KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
gty_pet_rock_150401_4x3_992.jpg
94KB, 992x744px
>>
>>2472051
>out doors cat

REEEE FUCK OFF
>>
File: sad pupper.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
sad pupper.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>invertebrates that are literally the easiest things to take care of will never become popular pets because they're "gross" or "weird"
why live
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.