[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fungi/ - Mushroom and Fungus General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 14

File: A. osecanus.jpg (72KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
A. osecanus.jpg
72KB, 720x960px
Hey folks, time for a new one! The mushrooms are just starting to pop in my area! Cold nights are bringing them out. Look at this monster! Agaricus osecanus, the Giant Horse Mushroom. It was absolutely delicious, and I grabbed it literally moments before a lawnmower got it.

Want something ID'd?
Want to prepare for hunting in the fall and want tips, books, or buddies?
Want to discuss fungus related advancements, or projects?
Are you a lonely mushroom grower?
Are you someone who wants to become a not-lonely mushroom grower?

You have come to the right place!

>Beginner pastebin
https://pastebin.com/ddb6fAPS

>Useful sites
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/
http://www.mykoweb.com/
>>
Oh, forgot to add that I mixed up the lime in the pastebin. It is hydrated lime, not agricultural lime.
>>
>>2466445
question: my mushroom spawn isn't taking over the wet cardboard...what could be wrong? (oyster)

Also, what's a cheaper way to make spawn? shit on ebay is like, $10 for 50g.
>>
>>2467357
You put grain spawn on wet cardboard?

Making spawn is pretty easy. You can DIY jars with needleports for inoculations, just some silicone, polyester foam stuffing/straw, jars, grain, and a pressure cooker.

Making the inoculant for jars is a bit annoying, there are a lot of different options. There are very few species that you can just inoculate with spores and end up with a successful daughter coming out, so you need to grow mycelium on agar or in liquid culture.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw too late for summer mushrooms and too hot for fall mushrooms

ENOUGH
>>
File: A.bernardii1.jpg (73KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
A.bernardii1.jpg
73KB, 720x960px
>>2467549
I find this window is when litter-loving saprobes start showing up. I am seeing tons of Agaricus and Lepiotoids.
I found this attractive Agaricus bernardii yesterday, growing in a park in the middle of a city! Irrigation does wonders for fungi.
From the cracked cap I thought it was a sculpted puffball at first.
>>
File: A.bernardii3.jpg (72KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
A.bernardii3.jpg
72KB, 720x960px
>>2467957
>>
I have 120 acres of central Wisconsin woodland but I can never seem to find mushrooms. I dont know if it's because i'm there infrequently and just not at the right time but I can never find anything substantial. Is it just location?

Also whats the best way to/can you farm Chicken of the Woods and morels?
>>
File: yellow_fungi_wide.jpg (1MB, 1300x861px) Image search: [Google]
yellow_fungi_wide.jpg
1MB, 1300x861px
Have a few photos for a diagnosis if I can get one.

Both occurred in similar climates; on the northeast slope of a mountain in the Tahoe basin, maybe at 8,000 feet. It was early July. I think July 3rd. As you can see there was still snow but the air temperature was mild. It was under the shade of a pine.

Obviously these ain't edible but they looked pretty neat. Would appreciate any suggestions of what this might be.
>>
File: yellow_fungi_close.jpg (984KB, 861x1300px) Image search: [Google]
yellow_fungi_close.jpg
984KB, 861x1300px
>>2468089
>>
File: reverse_mushrooms1.jpg (1MB, 1500x1157px) Image search: [Google]
reverse_mushrooms1.jpg
1MB, 1500x1157px
>>2468089

Second specimen I found. I don't even know how to describe it - looks like it has gills but grows facing up, at least that's how I found it. The rounded underside was fuzzy and tan. I didn't pull any of them apart to get a better look.
>>
File: reverse_mushrooms2.jpg (641KB, 1262x823px) Image search: [Google]
reverse_mushrooms2.jpg
641KB, 1262x823px
>>2468092
from the side
>>
>>2468090
>>2468089
They actually are edible if my ID is correct.
Guepiniopsis alpina
It could also be one of many colorful discoid ascomycetes.

>>2468093
This is what happens when Schizophyllum commune grows on the underside of a log. It forms cute little rosettes
>>
File: image.jpg (327KB, 1063x1075px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
327KB, 1063x1075px
What is this??
>>
File: image.jpg (861KB, 1697x1697px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
861KB, 1697x1697px
>>2468139
>>
>>2468097
how do they taste? look like they'd be chewy
>>
>>2468097
what makes it a "commune"? Are you suggesting it was rolled over at one time or do they form like this under the right conditions otherwise?
>>
File: S.commune.jpg (13KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
S.commune.jpg
13KB, 271x186px
>>2468153
Nothing. "Schizophyllum commune" is just a species epithet. This is the standard form, but you can see how the ones near the bottom of the log get rounder and rounder.

>>2468148
Kind of chewy, like a flavorless gummy bear. They make a nice trailside treat.

>>2468139
Some kind of Russula, maybe Russula emetica.
If you take a pea-sized nibble, spread it on your tongue, and then spit, I can tell you more.
This is the Russula/Lactarius nibble-and-spit test, and it is perfectly safe. No mushroom is toxic enough to where a nibble will hurt you. I know it sounds odd, but it is an actual ID tool for this genus.
>>
File: FullSizeRender 2.jpg (3MB, 3021x3326px)
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
3MB, 3021x3326px
Posting a few of my finds from last season.
>>
File: FullSizeRender 3.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: m.jpg (690KB, 1574x2527px) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
690KB, 1574x2527px
>>
Have any of you heard of/successfully used the fermentation pasteurization method?
basically, soak medium in water in a sealed container for 2 weeks or so, let the anaerobes take over. Then, take it out of the water, let it dry for maybe an hour, and inoculate with mycelium. idea is, rapid change to aerobic environment kills off or weakens all the obligate anaerobes, leaving plenty of room for your fungus.
>>
>>2468316
>>2468318
Beautiful specimens, the color is unreal.
Purple one is probably a violet cortinarius species

>>2468320
I wonder what those could be.....

>>2468405
I've heard of it, but have some issues with it.
First off, the concept is flawed.
Many anaerobes aren't obligate, they are facultative. This means that the switch from anaerobic to aerobic will not kill them. Secondly, many bacteria pump out antifungals, so unless you have inoculated deliberately with a known beneficial organism (like actinomycetes) the chance of complete failure to grow is pretty high.

That said, it does work for some people. Not because they have sterilized or even approached pasteeurization of the substrate, but because the bacterial community is primed for growth of bacteri-cidal, "predatory fungi". Such fungi actively hunt out and consume nitrogen from bacterial colonies, in fact, Pleurotus species obtain most of their nitrogen through this route. (not much other than bacteria on a rotting log in terms of available nitrogen).

Pleurotus, SRA, and Agaricus are a few that come to mind that thrive on bacterially rich substrates. I think the method is worth trying, but the people trying it should know what they are doing first.
>>
>>2467391
yeah, that's what i did. it's spreading incredibly slowly, any reason why?
>>
>>2468169
commune is the specific epithet and probably refers to the cosmopolitan distribution of the fungus.

>>2468153
The growth is a result of thigmatrophism. For perennial conks, you can flip the log and watch it grow accordingly so that the pores point downward.
>>
when i was in the suburbs these huge ass orange-ish mushrooms grew on this slop next to my front door. they were about a foot tall and as wide as a plate. i had a picture but they are in limbo until a can get my tablet fixed.

>>2468139
>>2468142
they kind of look like this. what state do you live in?
>>
>>2468097
That's some red Russula. Check a small piece of the cap/gill tissue and spit it out to see if it is peppery.

>>2468092
>>2468093
>>2468097
I am certain this isn't Schizophyllum commune. I can't remember the name... not a Phyllotopsis but it's not coming to me right now.
>>
>>2470199
>>2468092
>>2468093
>>2468097
Now I remember, I think this is Crepidotus variabilis or some other Crepidotus sp.
>>
>>2468985
The grain probably got bacterial contamination from the cardboard, unless you pasteurized it very well.
What species are you trying?
I wouldn't expect anything other than a vicious woodlover to do well in those conditions.
It is also possible the cardboard is waterlogged.

>>2469922
Probably isn't the same species. Did it have spots? Amanita muscaria is a possibility. Was there buried wood?

>>2470202
That could definitely be a possibility, I totally forgot about that genus. I would find them growing singly on stems of old grass, and it made me marvel at how little they were working with.
>>
>>2470474
no spots. and the cap was more flat. dead wood? not the i am aware of.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.