[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best type of Lizard to but for a family

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: lizard-thumb-800x416.jpg (102KB, 800x416px) Image search: [Google]
lizard-thumb-800x416.jpg
102KB, 800x416px
My husband's birthday is coming up and I want to buy him a lizard of some sort. Our daughter is allergic to cats and dogs and I know whatever pet he gets she'll want to handle too. That's why I'm also looking for one that's docile. She's 7 so she knows not to be rough, but I don't want her to be bit either. Also, if you have any care tips. I've never owned a lizard before (he's owned snakes and turtles before so he's not completely clueless) so I just want to be prepared. We also both work full time jobs so what are some breeds that aren't too much work??
>>
>>2465246
>gifting pets
>breeds
dumb roastie
>>
I'd say bearded dragons are the best beginner lizard since they tolerate being handled a little better than other lizards.
Just make sure you don't use sand as the base for the tank and make sure you do a lot of research before getting it because the people at petsmart and petco don't know shit about the animals they sell.

Speaking of, look for a breeder in your area to buy from as well. The lizard will be a little more expensive but it's worth it because it will be less likely to die early from a disease rather than one you pickup in a pet store
>>
>>2465246

Don't buy anything before discussing this with your husband. Reptiles vary considerably in the amount of care and space required so it's really important you're both on board with whatever will be needed for the species chosen. Since he has previous reptile experience he will probably have something in mind anyway.
>>
File: Mangrove-Snake.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Mangrove-Snake.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Mangrove Snake. They're cheap, easy to handle, and a lot of fun.
>>
>>2465253
>roastie
How's the virgin life treating ya son
>>
>>2465296
This. Don't surprise anyone with a pet, that's shitty, especially since most lizards live for 15 or more years. It's not fair to the person or the animal to force that sort of commitment.
>>
>>2465300
>Rear fanged and mildly venomous
I see what you did there
>>
>>2465296
Second this, but when you do discuss a leopard gecko would be a pretty good lizard to start with
>>
>>2465354
OP's husband has had snakes and turtles before, so it's not unreasonable. He'll likely appreciate that his wife thinks he can handle the next step up in reptile keeping. What will he think of her if she gives him another fucking leopard gecko? Get a Boiga if you respect your spouse.
>>
>>2465373
Owning a cornsnake and a red eared slider does not prepare one for a mangrove.
>>
>>2465246
Heloderma suspectum or Varanus komodoensis. They're known by the herp community as the "golden retriever" and "saint bernard" of reptiles respectively.
>>
>>2465508
/thread
>>
>>2465246
i hear that an iguana can be almost as intelligent and loyal as a dog...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zGIS-WWZQ
>>
>>2465422
Then OP needs to break up if she can't give her husband the respect he deserves. It's obviously not working out.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.