[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought this 63 gallon fish tank

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: 666792.jpg (130KB, 1145x694px) Image search: [Google]
666792.jpg
130KB, 1145x694px
What should I buy for it?

Decorations, gravel, plants, filters, and other stuff to maintain it.

Also, I'm planning to put some corys in there, which fishes could be nice neighbors?
>>
bump :^)
>>
File: Cuteness.jpg (50KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cuteness.jpg
50KB, 960x540px
This is a decently slow board, so you don't need to bump very often.

I would ditch the fish and get an Axolotl. Way more interactive, and they live longer too.
A 63 gallon could house three very comfortably, or one gigantic specimen.
>>
>>2465153
You should get a rooster
>>
>>2465248
I'm not realy interested in Axolotl, also they're ilegal in here
>>
>>2465153
vampire shrimp tank
>>
>>2465263
Shrimps seem cool but are they gonna attack my cories?
>>
>>2465263
Nevermind, those are crawfish
>>
>>2465153
20 female beta's and 1 neon tetra
>>
Hello guys, OP here.

I plan to buy:

1 Red tailed black shark
7 corydoras
5 Kuhli loaches

Any suggestions in subtrate, filters, plants, etc?

What is a cool option for my aquascape?
>>
>>2466378
Cool options:
>short grasses that will grow to cover the ground
>very pale or very dark sand OR pale river stones
>driftwood
>little terra cotta pots either cut in half or stood up with plants in them
>plants that float on the top
>moss balls
My ultimate aesthetic.
>>
>>2466391
Sounds cool anon, can you provide an example? A picture or a video would be awesome.
>>
>>2466378
What kind of corydoras? Corys would like it if you got pool filter sand for the substrate, they like to sift though it by passing it through their mouths. Kuhli loaches also enjoy a sand substrate too. From what I read you also want to add them after the tank has been established. So if you don't go with sand you'd want something that has smooth and smaller granules.
Maybe go with Eco-Complete or Flourite. I have Flourite in a 20g right now with 6 Albino Corys and they seem pretty happy with it. Don't have experience with Kuhli loaches though.
Make sure you get a lid too, I've heard of red tails black sharks jumping and the loaches might try to worm their way out.
>>
File: Corydoras Longipinnis.jpg (32KB, 450x191px) Image search: [Google]
Corydoras Longipinnis.jpg
32KB, 450x191px
>>2466399
I plan to get longipinnis like pic related.

Sand seems cool, since Loaches like to bury themselves but I love the eco complete color

I'd go for what my fishes would like most tho, what could be nice for them?
>>
>>2466414
You can get Flourite as a sand, they have normal reddish brown and black. I'd go with the black sand, I think it looks the best. And since you like eco complete, you should like it too ;)
>>
>>2466424
Thanks anon!

What plants could be cool for the tank?
I liked this anon >>2466391 suggestion. Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlQs9wPud0 would be awesome
>>
>>2465266
They would never. I have 3 in a 75 gallon with a little school of cories that are best friends.
>>2465267
They get about the same size as crawfish, but do not have the temperament of crawfish. Vampire shrimp are filter feeding shrimp that are ginormous when compared to the cardinia and neocardinia that are more commonly seen in aquariums these days (ghost shrimp, amano shrimp, cherry or other colored shrimp, etc.) They took about a month to get comfortable in the tank, they are more shy than anyone else in my tank, but they are the most interesting to watch by far. Here's a vid of them feeding (not mine). They're the bomb and are extremely peaceful/docile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nNqYbiUW8
>>
File: IMG_2775.jpg (85KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2775.jpg
85KB, 720x480px
>>2465153
Get plants, a good light and carbon
>>
>OP gets a decently sized tank
>/an/ still in poorfag mode and suggests common microfish

You guys are hopeless.
>>
>>2467173
>/an/ still in poorfag mode and thinks 63g is a decently sized tank
it's all relative, anon
>>
>>2467173
A 63 gallon is too small for most cool larger fish.
>>
I'd just go for a really nice planted tank with a nice rainbow fish school. Lots of wood and grasses, with CO2 and a good substrate of course.

I've also always wanted dwarf pufferfish, but they require an established mature tank. It would be cool to have a densely planted tank with 20 of these little guys, and just watch them hunt snails all day.
>>
>>2467173
>doesn't suggest a fish
>>
With corydoras, it's generally suggested to get sand, and EcoComplete is suggested against for being lavarock or similar material and therefore rough on their barbels and bellies.

Petsmart is still? doing their 2 for $30 on 25 pound bags of sand, National Geographic sand is A++ no rinsing or anything required, I literally poured that shit into a filled tank and there was zero dust. I think it's made of magic.

You mentioned an RTS, which I am not familiar with as far as advised maintenance, I do suggest doing research if you get any kind of larger fish though. Lots of them require lots of space.

Kuhlis will worm their way into basically anything you think they might possibly be able to, and then some stuff you'd think they couldn't. Someone was complaining that a kuhli got inside his HOB filter and was flailing around under the media carriage a little while ago.

Never not live plants. Get some rocks and 1-3 pieces of driftwood. Check out the ADA (AGA??) aquascaping contest entries for inspiration.
>>
>>2467211
>dosent sudgest a fish either
I wanna see OP get into some Frogs. I love frogs and i think that others should have them too, try fire bellies and african clawed, the fire bellies might eat the africans if they are too small tho
>>
>>2465254
California?
>>
>>2465153
Good companions for corys:
Gouramis
Tetras
Koi
African Dwarf Frogs
Freshwater eels
Oscars
Guppies
Freshwater clams(any and all species)
Cichlids(Both African and South American)
Any and all aquatic plants(Yes that includes Australian Swamp Cactus)
Bettas
Freshwater Jellyfish.
Vanilla Lobsters(ONLY VANILLA)
Everything listed here can live together as well as in schools within that 63 gallon tank, so no worries bro!
>>
ignore the live plant meme if you're a beginner. if you are a beginner do this:

get a substrate for plants but only enough to cover an inch to inch and half, then about a solid inch of gravel. get some live plants and cycle the tank with fish food. after it's ready rip out what plants remain, then clean the shit ouit of the tank, do a pristine water change and bring some fish home! Tank is HUGE. you have endless opportunities
>>
>>2466735
>>2466735
what does that smell like?
>>
>>2467173
>implying 63gallon isnt still in poorfag territory
>>
>>2467221
Mexico
>>
>>2467215
Thanks for all advice! I'll buy sand for my cories.
I'll think again about Kuhlis then so I'm open to fish advice.

The AGA is pretty cool too, I wonder If I can manage to get a nice looking tank. Thanks a lot anon!

>>2467237
Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm not very interested in those :( I still want to find a fish who makes me fall in love with it, any other suggestions for those?
>>
>>2467256
>I still want to find a fish who makes me fall in love with it
I fell in love with discus the moment I saw them.

but they're not cheap and they're not really easy. 63g is a good size for a few discus though.
>>
>>2467262
Discus are pretty cool, I'm thinking about them a lot but they seem to be kinda mainstream, that's why I tought about Kuhlis since they look kinda goofy
>>
File: Pez-Dragon2.jpg (44KB, 535x375px) Image search: [Google]
Pez-Dragon2.jpg
44KB, 535x375px
>>2467262
I was also thinking about African Dragons but they grow a lot and I'd like to have more fishes than just it
>>
File: a.jpg (432KB, 1710x871px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
432KB, 1710x871px
>>2467266
>they seem to be kinda mainstream,
Not sure, I haven't kept them since about 1992 when nobody had heard of them.

after discus I went to saltwater, which has even more spectacular fish. I suppose those are mainstream now too. Still pretty though.

Saltwater fish aren't usually more difficult than freshwater, but they do cost a lot more to keep.
>>
>>2467268
Sea fish are indeed spectacular but really expensive, I'll stick with freshwater ones
>>
>>2467273
there's some great freshwater fish out there.

Personally I always liked german rams, dwarf gourami, and a lot of American cichlids. Also all mainstream, but still nice to look at.
>>
I'll porbably get a Colisa Llaia, but only if they got ones with these colors, they seem pretty cool and can hang with the corys
>>
File: AqAdvisor.png (64KB, 1049x597px) Image search: [Google]
AqAdvisor.png
64KB, 1049x597px
>>2467293
12 Corys and 5 Colisa Lalia only take 13% of the aquarium. That seems nice, I could get more schools and they'll still have plenty of space
>>
>>2467256
>>2467256
To be completely honest with you, everything other than Gouramis, Tetras, Freshwater eels, Guppies, and Bettas, was shitposting and completely unacceptable for corys. You want my honest advice? Get some ryukins, and/or other types of goldfish. They're easy to maintain, so long as you keep the temperature a bit low, can look beautiful and unique, can grow in proportion to living space size, but what will really make you fall in love with them, is their tendency to nibble on their owners hand for loose/dead skin, this makes them one of the most interactive of freshwater fish.
>>
>>2465153
RAMIREZI > ALL FISH
IN RAMIREZI WE TRUST
>>
>>2467242
Like garden soil/mature compost, with a slight hint of wet dog and fish smell.
>>
>>2465153
Water.
>>
OP Here. I've been reading about Gouramis and they seem to get pretty territorial when there's a lot of males. What can I do about it? I'm thinking in only getting one and some Guppies.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.