[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Antarctica

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 1-CMRYj04F6V9D8ZVuYC51nA.png (2MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1-CMRYj04F6V9D8ZVuYC51nA.png
2MB, 1400x1400px
What species could be introduced here and thrive, without harming the existing ecosystem?
>>
>>2462562
None.
Ecosystems take millions of years to reach an equilibrium through many organisms evolving or dying out.
Once this equilibrium is achieved, any disturbance would lead to catastrophic consequences.
Look at how humans, rats, cats, etc have wreaked havoc on every ecosystem we've disturbed without fail?
>>
>>2462562
Old ones
>>
>>2462562
polar bears penguins and seals obviously
>>
>implying Antarctica is a continent and not an icy barrier surrounding out oceans, preventing us from reaching the earths edge
>>
File: 723201715431.jpg (119KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
723201715431.jpg
119KB, 600x600px
>>2462568
Granted - forgive my ignorance - but it seems like Antarctica has 'less' of an ecosystem than other places, due to the smaller variety of species. The land animals are penguins and other birds, pinnipeds, and almost no vegetation. What would be the consequences if say we introduced a colony of Atlantic Puffins to the Antarctic peninsula? They're vulnerable and it seems like having an emergency stock could be useful.
>>
>>2462568
Its a fucking rock full of ice anon...
>>
>>2462626
how would that be useful?
>>
File: SpurdoAYYYLAMO.png (166KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
SpurdoAYYYLAMO.png
166KB, 600x465px
>>
>>2463036
puffin outages
>>
>>2463062
why would having more be useful
>>
>>2463065
looking for a clever reply I found this
drugs-forum com/threads/my-puffin-uses-kratom-compulsively.252389/
>>
>>2463069
really made me think
>>
>>2462626
They would straight up just leave.
>>
>>2462568
>he fell for the equilibrium meme
>>
>>2463065
I'm thinking we could use Antarctica as a kind of Svalbard Seed Vault but for cold-climate animals.
>>
A. siedlungnsfrauen have been pretty successful in the New Swabia region.

They've already adapted to the region's harsh environment with paler coloration and larger strategic fat reserves. Absolutely beautiful creatures.
>>
>>2463156
No they wouldn't. The north pole/arctic is physically connected to other landmasses. The antarctic isn't. The puffins would be forced to turn back when they get too close to exhaustion.
>>
>>2463428
Puffins don't need land mass to rest. They need it to breed. They spend most of their time on the open sea. Some atlantic puffins reach the arctic circle but they seriously they would just straight up leave if they didn't like the place.
>>
File: Common Diving-Petrel.jpg (185KB, 1200x831px) Image search: [Google]
Common Diving-Petrel.jpg
185KB, 1200x831px
>>2463460
This.

But there's already a seriously endangered group of birds that fills a similar niche down there. Diving-petrels aren't on Antarctica itself but they're on most of the sub-Antarctic islands.
>>
>>2462562
Could polar bears survive in Antarctica?
>>
>>2462618
I hate thoughts like this. To me, I think the world and universe are crazy enough for something like this to turn out to be real. Whoever the higher ups are in society just use us as cattle to make money and keep us scared and confined behind Antarctica. I mean I think that's true either way if not in so many words.
>>
>>2463545
I always thought this, but I bet a population of Polars would eat and wipe out all penguins who have no natural defenses against a giant land predator. A bear could walk into that big emperor group and grab one penguin an hour.
>>
>>2463428
they are welcome to come to Chile
>>
>>2463563
FUCK OFF DRUMPFKIN

>>>/pol/
>>
>>2463069

I never thought puffins would be my anti-drug.
>>
>>2463878
context of this post?
>>
>>2463565
Not true, Africa has a population of it's own indigenous penguins, and they survive just fine despite Africa being chalk full of large land predators. As well as all the aquatic predators like sharks and shit. Not to mention the fucked up avian predators like Pelicans who swallow other birds alive and slowly drown them to death with their stomach acids.
>>
>>2464054
context is simple.
that post was made by an overly sensitive faggot who blames a political discussion board on a Mongolian finger painting website, and a cheeto orange reality TV star, for all of the worlds problems and transgressions.
>>
>>2464085
I don't get what that has to do with Antarctica being an Attack on Titan wall keeping us from venturing into the real world. Any time I see something posted someone immediately posts TRUMP GET OUT KILL WHITE PEOPLE even though it has nothing to do with anything. They hate these made up nazis so much they've just become nazis, or like, reverse nazis where if it has fair skin it must be evil. It's like that transgender cartoon where that girl (???) always steers a conversation toward some issue about being transgender even though they were talking about rice krispy treats or a tv show or something.

In all seriousness though, if the Antarctica thing turned out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised. Same reason I wouldn't be surprised if we all turned out to be hideous squids hooked up to some computer and made to experience a human life the same way I wouldn't be surprised if the world is just as it is: a dumb sphere floating in space with some conscious space dust that post on an anime sun gook kwon mink skinning website.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.