[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me identify this bug

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: 20170822_140653[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_140653[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
So I found this little guy in a parking lot stuck on his back like a turtle. I've never seen anything like it where I live (let alone any bug this big).
Do you know what he is? Is he a wild bug or maybe something you buy to feed other animals with? I'd like to keep him as a pet if I can but he seems to have a bummed leg or something and I haven't seen him try to fly.
He's such a cute little guy though, I'm afraid if I let him out he'd just get eaten or die by himself.
>>
File: toebiter.jpg (394KB, 637x550px) Image search: [Google]
toebiter.jpg
394KB, 637x550px
>>2462156
giant water bug aka toe biter
>>
Looks like a giant water bug, people do keep them as pets but they bite
>>
File: 20170822_143711[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_143711[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2462158
>>2462160
Thanks a bunch. He hasn't bit me yet, but he seems too weak to do much of anything. I guess I should give him some water and maybe a slug to eat? Assuming he can eat those, wikipedia says they eat snails so maybe?

Also he can't seem to stay upright, poor guy
>>
Put a lid on whatever you're keeping it in unless you want to end up like these guys
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FcNOstUvuls
>>
File: 20170822_155946[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_155946[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Update (in case anyone cares)
He likes being in the water, though I had to reduce the water level to a minimum since he seems intent on drowning himself. I couldn't find any slugs in my yard so I'm gonna see if the pet store sells crickets. He seems like he's on his last legs though so I don't know if he has the energy to hunt a cricket.
Which makes me wonder, what was he doing in a parking lot in the middle of the parries?
>>
>>2462197
They live in the water, fill er up
>>
poor fella if he doesnt get better maybe you should end his misery
>>
>>2462203
He'll walk all over my hand and arm (very slowly) but if I put him down anywhere he goes still. I think he's waiting for food to swim by. If he won't eat by tonight I'll put him down but it's such a shame. He's such a cute bug.
>>
>>2462201
also will do
>>
File: abedus-breathing-2.jpg (84KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
abedus-breathing-2.jpg
84KB, 450x600px
>>2462197
they breath using their butt and stock air under their wings
https://thedragonflywoman.com/2012/01/29/abedus-breathing/
>>
>>2462197
oh and, as they can fly, it is possible to find them relatively far away from any pound or lake
>>
>>2462209
Oh that's good to know, thank you.
>>2462215
He must have flown a fuck tonne then cause there aren't any ponds or anything even remotely close to here other than the river a few km away but I don't think he can live in that. Poor guy probably got lost and hit by a car or something.

Anyways going to pet land to by some crickets or small fish to try and feed him with. Hopefully he'll eat them.
>>
>>2462206
>If he won't eat by tonight I'll put him down but it's such a shame.

Come on man, going a couple of days without food won't make it starve. Some predators can easily go weeks without feeding.

Like others said, these things bite so be extra careful. I mean, unlike things like spiders these are supposedly relatively easy to provoke.
>>
You're either brave or stupid for picking that thing up, I'm assuming the latter because you didn't know what it was. They'll also eat tadpoles and small fish. I'm very surprised it didn't bite you.
>>
Has Coyote let one of these fuckers bite him yet?
>>
>>2462227
These things fly for quite a distance, and will often confuse the shiny windshields or windows on a house for water.

At any rate, I used to keep these things. They can survive for a lot longer that a day without food; I used to feed them every week (I fed them small goldfish/guppies).

But yeah give it a lot more water.
>>
>>2462243
Stupid is correct ^:) but like I said he's super docile, he was crawling all over my hands and arm without even trying to bite me.

>>2462240
I got him some crickets so hopefully he'll have the strength to nom on one of those. I gave him a live one and a dead one so here's hoping.

>>2462267
Fuck I never even thought of goldfish. If he's still kicking tomorrow I'll try and get some. I have no Idea how long he's been out in the sun in that parking lot though, it could have been days. Plus the fact that he's not biting me is worrisome.
>>
>>2462156
Holy shit you fucking maniac don't hold him.
>>
>>2462246
He showed one on a video once but refused to let it bite him I think. Probably already experienced it before.
>>
File: 20170822_182128[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_182128[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
He hasn't taken to the crickets but he's still kicking. Maybe I should chop a cricket into bite size pieces?
>>
File: 20170822_184453[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_184453[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
https://youtu.be/Lls8nTN9WvA

Well I think he's pretty much dead.
He won't move, he won't swim, he won't crawl on my arm.
I think he would have been better off getting stepped on in the parking lot at this point.

I think I'm gonna snap his neck and bury him in the flower bed.
>>
RIP friendly toe biter
>>
File: file.png (203KB, 413x553px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
203KB, 413x553px
>>2462318

F

You tried OP. It's all you could do. You better eat those crickets if he doesn't.
>>
>>2462318
>snap his neck
Kek insects are different from us put him in the freezer thats the more humane thing to do with a bug hes a poikilotherm with no spine to snap
>>
>>2462324
I feel stupid being sad over a dead bug. Thanks for the pic though anon.
>>
>>2462327
Oh thanks. will do.
>>
>>2462197

>seems intent on drowning himself

Have you ever heard of research you fucking idiot?
>>
If you can pick one of these up and not get bitten it's likely dying. They are super aggressive normally.
>>
Nepidae
>>
>>2462741
Not necessarily, you can let them walk on your hands, but if you try to grab them, hold them or anything like that they will bite. And that bite is no joke.
>>
>>2462318
There's a good chance it was already at the end of its life, anyway. When the end nears, arthropods tend to become disoriented and sluggish.
>>
It's a small insect. How painful can its bite be? I mean it's not poisonous or anything. I suspect you lot are a bit squeamish.
>>
>>2462791
>small insect
some species can get 4 inches big
>I mean it's not poisonous or anything.
except that they do have venom and a large proboscis
>>
>>2462791
Digestive enzymes.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.