[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering studying oceanography next year at university,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: baby-orangutan-thinking.jpg (133KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
baby-orangutan-thinking.jpg
133KB, 300x450px
I'm considering studying oceanography next year at university, so when taking a biology course next year at uni, should I take a cell biology course or an animal biology course?
Which one would be more important for studying the deep sea and its inhabitants?
I also plan on taking a marine science, earth science, math I and II, and physics I and II courses
That should give me a good grounding on how the ocean and earth systems work
Since I study 7 courses first year uni, the courses i listed above plus cell biology or animal biology equals 7 courses
Should I take cell biology or animal biology?
>>
>>2461048
Take animal biology and set yourself up an aquarium. To understand a closed system will help you understand everything. I suggest you try to breed a particular species in a closed system. Understand it's natural biology and get that in a closed system. For example may be try to breed microdontichromis tenuidintatus, a species endemic to tanganyika. Or just breed Molly's lol!
>>
>>2461059
Since the marine science, and earth and ocean science courses are similar, should I do the cell biology course instead of one of those courses?
Or is cell biology not that important for deep sea science?
>>
>>2461085
Better to be over educated than under educated
>>
Cell biology is probably a required course
>>
Cell biology is less relevant, also harder and boring. If you can avoid it I suggest you do.
>>
>>2461048
Oceanography is divided in 4 big areas:
Geogrphy, chemestry, physics and biology.
That means you'll study things more broadly and then choose what you want to specialize in. Because of this they'll teach animal biology with bigger emphasis than cell (animals have more details when you are not being detailed).
>>
>>2461422
>>2461431
>>2461437
Jesus Christ, /an/ gives me every possible answer

>>2461422
>>2461446
So basically study a broad range of topics to gain lots of knowledge first year then specialize more second year?
>>
>>2461704
Maybe you should ask your advisor instead of asking a bunch of people on the internet.
>>
>>2461704
I'm just curious, what drew you to the field of marine biology?
And what specifically do you want to specialize in?
>>
>>2461705
Advisors would just tell me what what would make heaps of money

>>2461740
There is a whole frontier there that we know hardly anything about
Heck, I've paddled around at a beach before, but I've never explored the world beneath the surface (studying marine science would give me the opportunity to see the world beneath the surface for myself)
We haven't even filmed sperm whales hunting giant squid yet
What other stuff down there we don't know about yet?
All the time we are discovering countless unknown species as deep sea technology progresses, all of them appear like aliens to us terrestrial beings
>>
>>2461704
I don't know how it works where you are from but here it takes 5 years to be an oceanographer, more or less on the first 3 years you'll study everything and then go into what you like best or any combination of it.
Emphasis on combination, oceanographers love to mix and match, it gets funny sometimes.
>>
>>2462263
So basically just take a variety of science courses at uni, then think of ways to apply the knowledge gained at uni to the study of the ocean?
>>
>>2462566
No, they are directioned towards oceanography. The goal is to make you ready to be a professional after you leave college, they aren't supposed to let think of ways to achieve that.
What is up to you is to decide is in which direction you want to go further than what everybody has to go.
>>
>>2462566
I'm sorry if i'm confusing more than helping, our education systems must be very different.
>>
>>2462587
>>2462584
If you live in an Anglo country, your education system will be similar to mine (except if you live in Britain as they specialize a lot earlier)
I haven't gone to uni, so I'm only guessing what my university courses will be like
You will have a clearer idea
>>
>>2462584
So basically I take a variety of courses related to Oceanography, then after I get the degree I get to head on a direction to achieve something?
>>
>>2462591
Not anglo.
>>2462593
No you learn everything inside, you have a basic structure everyone has to follow and other classes that you branch out to.
Like, everybody has to do A,B,C,D,E and has to choose a minimum given number of classes from F to S or whatever.
I'm really not helping, am i?
>>
>>2462623
First year there is only one mandatory class for oceanography/marine science at the university I plan on going to
Since I will do seven courses/papers first year at uni as required, six courses/papers will be up to my choice
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.