[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A lot of the bias against raw food seems to be stemming from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: raw-pet-food_456px.jpg (26KB, 456x294px) Image search: [Google]
raw-pet-food_456px.jpg
26KB, 456x294px
A lot of the bias against raw food seems to be stemming from the fact that kibble is extremely profitable. However, many raw feeders seem like hippies and whatnot. Are there any non biased readings I can do on raw vs kibble diet for dogs?
>>
No.
>>
No...
>>
File: mmt.png (26KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
mmt.png
26KB, 160x160px
>>2459820
>>2459826
>>2459828
So should I listen to the corporate shills or the hippies?
>>
>>2459831
Corporate shills have research

Hippies have muh feels
>>
Kibble is fucking awful for cats and kibble only cats have health problems take that as you will

But dogs can literally eat shit so whatever
>>
why do raw? it's harder to digest raw foods as the lion's share goes to the gut flora pigging out.

Just give the raw food a quick cooking.
>>
I give my small dog raw chicken wings. She's 6 and fine, her teeth are nice and white, too.

How would you stop the meat from becoming rancid unless you manage to give your cat regular meal times?
>>
>>2459985
Do you remove the bones?
>>
>>2459818
>stemming from the fact that kibble is extremely profitable
I thought it was stemming for the fact that people are feeding cornmeal to carnivores. I don't know if it's important for it to be "raw" but it seems pretty fucking obvious that semi fresh meat is going to be better for your carnivorous pet than corn meal, salt, and animal byproduct that has been dehydrated and sterilized at high temps.
>>
>>2460056
No the dogs fine with them. Cooking makes them brittle and dangerous.
>>
>>2459843
This.
Cats that live in kibble have very high chances of developing kidney issues, cancer or diabetes. Raws might not be as convenient but it's better than a $3k surgery when a kidney stone blocks their urethra.

Dogs usually only get issues if they are overfed or fed table scraps on the side.
>>
here is my unbiased and baseless opinion on the topic

my dogs have always been long lived as far as dogs are concerned, and I feed them the shittiest cheapest food I can find most of the time because I can't really afford any of the good stuff even though they clearly like it better.

I suppose its a reasonable argument to say giving premium types of food will prevent your dog from getting sick, but dogs unfortunately get sick and die very young no matter what you do.
this isn't like a person where an unhealthy diet can shave decades off their life. Dogs are old as fuck if they even make it past one decade of life, let alone another half and they are ancient then.
So I honestly don't think food make that much of a difference because dogs are just not naturally long lived enough for it to matter, for their bad diets to "catch up" with them

dogs aren't really like people where its a slow gradual decline. They are happy and healthy and then one day their body just implodes on itself and they are dead 2 weeks later
nothing you can do about it

I live in constant fear because my boy is 11 and I love him so much and I don't think I can emotionally handle this when it happens
>>
>>2460084
Chicken bones are kinda shit and can fuck animals up even raw so just make sure you keep an eye on your pup for signs of trouble after eating them
>>
>>2460267
this is the second dog I've done it with and I've never, ever had a problem - my old lab used to have three raw wings per meal
>>
>>2460253
>a $3k surgery

How many years until that happens though? Wouldn't that amount of time of daily raw meat feedings add up to $3k anyways?

Say $12 a meat package for a whole week. 52 weeks in a year. lets say, it takes 8 years for the kidney to crap out. thats 52*8 = 416, times $12 = $4,992.

A $15 large bag of kibble lasts a whole month. 12*8 = 96, times $15 = $1,440; +$3,000 surgery = $4,440.

You save $552 in the long run sticking to kibble.
>>
>>2459833
Their muh feels actually make sense though. Dogs do not normally eat grains

>>2459843
>>2460065
Feeding raw meat will cost the same as a high quality grain free kibble (dog) for me. I really want to do it because many raw fed dogs look much healthier but there is very little research done on the topic

>>2460328
>letting your animal suffer to save $500
literally subhuman
>>
>>2460259
>my dogs are long lived!
>getting worried about an 11 year old dog keeling over any day now
Yeah no.
>>
File: IMG_2918.jpg (122KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2918.jpg
122KB, 960x720px
>>2460328
Damn haha

I was thinking this last night. Just watched the pet food doc on Netflix and my train of thought was "if it's so bad how did the dogs from like the 40s-50s even live?"

I'm poor though, even if I wanted to I couldn't switch my animals to raw. Most I could do is switch to a better kibble brand. As much as it sucks even if they got sick and I was feeding them good food I probably still wouldn't be able to deal with big vet bills and just have me put down.
>>
>>2460569
Yes have myself put down.

Kek.
>>
>>2460569
They ate table scraps and hunted.
>>
>>2460378
my dugrinos do live a long time. my last one was an unhealthy runt I got from a backyard breeder, it was blind and had arthritis and it lived to be 17. He woulda kept on chugging a bit longer too but I had to put him down because he fell and hurt himself, so once his mobility was gone he started dragging along the floor and wasn't getting any better so it had to be done, he seemed to be in pain at that time.

this boy now is 11, but the breed estimates say they live to about 14 because hes a big boy

the last one was like my little buddy, but this one feels more like a child.
>>
>>2460360
>Dogs do not normally eat grains
Okay then feed a premium grain free kibble and get your feels and research
>>
>>2460360
>Dogs do not normally eat grains
dogs have evolved specifically to eat grains.
https://www.livescience.com/26513-starchy-human-diet-domesticated-dogs.html
>>
>>2460822
>research funded by purina
>>
File: 1338184232014.jpg (21KB, 488x534px) Image search: [Google]
1338184232014.jpg
21KB, 488x534px
>>2460823
nope.
nice try though.
>>
>>2460822
If I switch my dog over to a raw diet, will he evolve back into a wolf? He is a german shepherd if it matters
>>
>>2461123
no but you will save a ton of money and then you can buy a wolf
>>
>>2461123
No but the next generation will. Breed him asap so you can have wolf puppies
>>
just throw some of ur meat scraps in with the kibble. meat is neat who cares if it's cooked or not
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.