[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beekeeping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0634.jpg (34KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0634.jpg
34KB, 320x320px
Anyone here into beekeeping? I'm going to start soon and would like some tips.

How do you really start, is my question.
I have the boxes and equipment ready, but need to know some things.
Do you start with just a queen? Does she build it all from scratch (per se)?

I have a breeder that will sell me a fertilized queen. Do I need anything else?

Thank you, 4chins
>>
>>2459528
You do NOT start with just a queen like ants. You need whats called a nuc, which is a queen and a shitton of workers. Youll need a deep hive body with 10 frames to start, and youll want to add another as soon as they fill it out. An entrance reducer is great for new hives to prevent raids by predators and stronger bees. Later youll want a super and 8 to 10 frames to rob honey
>>
>>2459549
I forgot to mention you could buy a queen package which is much smaller but still has hundreds if not thousands of workers. Nucs are safer bet though. Oh and get an epinephrine injection pen just in case!
>>
>>2459551
Thank you, Sir. That is all great information.

Don't need an epi pen, though. Been attacked by 7 before. It actually felt good after pulling the barbs out.
>>
>>2459555
You never know, man. You can develop an allergy any time plus theres cheap generics available. Oh and dont pull the stings out scrape with your nail. Pulling squeezes more venom in
>>
>>2459551
One other question, if you don't mind:

Can you order a nuc? Like shipped?

If you know, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the middle of the West Texas land near the border. We have bees... but I'm a noob, obviously.
>>
>>2459528
Do it organically and avoid doing it in areas where conventional farming is taking place. Pesticides kill bees.

Be good to them anon. The bees are a wonderful ally. God speed.

>Checkout youtube videos. There are a bunch of how to videos.
>>
>>2459562
Doing it away from everything and everyone. My closest neighbor is 10 miles away.
>>
>>2459560
Ive not heard of shipping one. Lots of places have pick ups available. Id advise using a pickup truck for that. Unlike a package, a nuc is in defense mode so if they get out in your vehicle it would suck and unlike installing a package you will need smoke and a veil
>>
>>2459562
Also, thank you, Sir.
>>
File: IMG_1239.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1239.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>2459576
Thanks, man! That's great info. Also, I gotcha. 99 Cummins all the way.
>>
>>2459528
Find a local beekeeping club and join. Clubs usually work out deals with people for equipment, hives, and queens, so they'll save you some money. Plus they usually have people with decades of experience to help you out.

Between the mite epidemic and the pesticides in the environment, our honeybees are getting their asses kicked.
>>
>>2459582
Live in the middle of nowhere. Have any online communities you'd recommend?
>>
>>2459581
Noice
>>
>>2459584
Nah, they're all about the same.

Just do a search for beekeeping forums and go with the one that appeals to you the most.
>>
File: IMG_2875.jpg (42KB, 400x218px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2875.jpg
42KB, 400x218px
>>2459590
Thanks, homie.

I really appreciate y'all all.

I've been wanting to do this for 20 years and have finally made the opportunity happen for myself.
>>
>>2459528
Hey OP
Good topic. Good advice here as well. Start getting ur hands on as much research as you can. It's gonna be a lot of the same but the nuance advice will maybe pull through in an emergency situation. Talk to people who do them. The more local relationships you can network the more information about your local bees, problems, seasonality, etc. you will be on top of if not in a small way. Don't underestimate protecting your hive and let them thrive as much as you can before you interfere if they are healthy. Look into swarm traps, and having a healthy bee-friendly environment is key to healthy bees. Water, pollen, resin, nectar, warmth or shade, protection from predators. The more you value the experience the more it will provide to you.
>>
>>2459528
Bee wary.
>>
>>2460038
Thanks, man. I'll look into your suggestions. I've been doing some research since I decided to go for it. I have a book on the way, and start to setup my space when I get back home (be in the city now).
>>
>>2459555
this guy is right >>2459555 you may not be allergic now but you could develop the allergy later on. plus who knows, you might not ever need it but what if you have someone at your house that does? not saying it's a must have but it's something to think about
>>
>>2460918
Thanks, man. My gf just said the same.

Who knows who they'd attact?

>yes, someone who posts here gets the honeybee
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.