[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depressed dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: roxanne.jpg (3MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
roxanne.jpg
3MB, 3264x1840px
Hey, /an/ I work at a shelter and we have a dog who lost all of her puppies before we took her in. She's really lethargic and lays in bed all day and doesn't get excited for anything. When we let a customer meet her she just goes in the corner of the room and whines. The only time she's happy is when sees one of the puppies we have. She thinks they're her kids and tries to call for them. We're not allowed to put any puppies with her because once she realizes they're not actually her offspring, she'll get even more depressed. Is there any way to help her cope? Will she ever get over it? Pic is her
>>
>>2458326
I had a cat once who went through the exact same thing after losing her entire litter. The vet was able to give her some medication that helped tremendously.
>>
Is it possible to put some orphaned puppies with her to nurse?
>>
>>2458326
poor bb
>>
>>2458326
>some kind of pit bull
Do not let it breed again

...then again she'd be happy I bet
>>
>>2458326
Put a older sedate female dog with her.
>>
>>2458326
Are you sure she isn't coming down with KC? Try giving her a plush puppy, maybe she will be fooled. How is she with older dogs? Some dogs just open up more when other dogs are around.
>>
>>2458326
>We're not allowed to put any puppies with her because once she realizes they're not actually her offspring, she'll get even more depressed

are you sure? I'd think that's the mothering instinct would take over. you see lenty of stories were they put motherless puppies together with a dog who lost her puppies, and the dog always seems to be happy to have puppies again, even though they're not hers.
>>
>>2458373
She's really shy, doesn't really interact with any dogs that aren't puppies. I let her meet another dog the same age as her and she sniffed them, then walked away.
>>
>>2458370
all the dogs we intake get fixed as soon as possible, so she can't breed anymore
>>
>>2458384
that's what I was told by staff. Honestly I think it'd cheer her up lots since just seeing other puppies is the only thing that gets her excited. none of the litters of puppies we have at the shelter are the same breed as her so I don't think she'd actually think they're blood related
>>
>>2458413
Sounds like your staff is retarded. I've seen plenty of dogs act as a foster mother to abandoned pups that were a different breed. Hell, I've had one of my own where I kept one of the pups and it ended up growing bigger than 'mom' but they both play together like parent and child.
>>
>>2459058
>Sounds like your staff is retarded.
This. It doesn't matter even if she realizes she didn't make them. If the puppies look like puppies then she'll care for them. Just like how humans can't resist to care for the repulsive form that is a baby because it looks like a baby and triggers a certain hormonal response.

> She thinks they're her kids and tries to call for them.
Doubt it unless they look visually similar. If they're the same mix she'd still know the difference based on odor/smell. Dogs aren't *that* retarded
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.