[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solitary canids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3243.jpg (773KB, 2500x1666px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3243.jpg
773KB, 2500x1666px
We have big cats (whose success has allowed them to exist on pretty much every continent) so why don't we have any "big dogs" who hunt solo? Canids are equally widespread, but most of them are either pack hunters or solitary hunters that focus on small game like rats. Bears come close, but most of them hardly seem to focus on hunting big game. What about canidae has prevented them from producing a large solitary hunter?
>>
>>2457152
front paws that grab and swing
Canids kill large prey by chipping at them untill they die of shock or bleed to death.
>>
We do, they're called bears.

Dipshit.
>>
>>2457156
>bears are canids
>bears are carnivores
>bears regularly and competently hunt large game
>>2457155
Why wouldn't that be an effective strategy if they weighted 250lb and hunted alone? Felines are clearly the more efficient killers, but canids get the job done all the same.
>>
>>2457170
It's not effective at all, it only works because they attack by numbers.
A tiger can hold down big prey, a wolf can't.
>>
>>2457170
caniform =/= canid
bears are not canid
>>
>>2457173
Wolves are specialized in running things to death. It's a lot safer for them, because their prey is a lot less likely to fight back when they finally catch it.
>>
>>2457175
I was mocking them. Nothing in that greentext was true by any means. Though Polar bears are an exception, they also weigh a fucking ton and their hunting methods are pretty different from other predators. Plus, I'm not entirely sure whether they even hunt large game regularly.
>>2457173
If packs weren't effective at all, they wouldn't exist. Their numbers allow them to be effective hunters, which is why there's so many animals that hunt in packs. Also, they can't hold down big prey alone, no. That's where the "big" part comes in.
>>2457178
Running things to death and then killing them horrifically slowly seems to be a pretty effective strategy, actually.
>>
Canines are surprisingly shitty hunters. They are good scavengers and small game hunters though. Foxes, coyotes, jackals, etc.

There is an exception to them too, that being African wild dogs which have an amazing success rate but that's due to pack hunting.

Bears are shitty hunters too with the exception of the polar bear, which is good at stalking, surprise attacks and travel long distances in search of food. Other bears eat mostly everything but meat such as seeds, bugs, plants, berries, etc. Even grizzlies that can run up to 30mph eat more carrion than they do hunt but they eat a shit ton of salmon if it's available where they live. I bet will be seeing a lot more polar and grizzly bear hybrids.
>>
>>2457186
Yeah, they're absolutely shitty hunters, but it certainly wouldn't have been too hard to evolve to be carnivorous. Considering there's a bear that evolved to spend all day sleeping and eating 40+ pounds of nutritionless grass all day, I'd say there should definitely be a bear species that evolved to be a hunter outside of the arctic by now. Bears are, at least physically, pretty in-line with the idea of a large predator that uses stamina to overcome its prey. I don't understand why that wouldn't be an effective strategy, but it doesn't seem to be.
Small canids are great at hunting small game, but they rely on stealth more than stamina and tend to scavenge quite a bit as I understand it.
>>
>>2457200
>Considering there's a bear that evolved to spend all day sleeping and eating 40+ pounds of nutritionless grass all day, I'd say there should definitely be a bear species that evolved to be a hunter outside of the arctic by now.

Pandas have been evolving that way without competition for millions of years in the same spot that has stayed realtivly the same and has the same climate all year round.

We had 'bear dogs'. Amphicyonids. Previously thought to be more related to bears but they are closer to canines while bears had hemicyonins. Which are also similar but history had a huge thing about animals looking almost exactly the same but being completely different(such as false sabercats).

There is really no reason for bears to evolve into something smaller or more efficient hunters. Exclude humans and they are doing just fine eating roots and moth larva. Less competition for food against other predators as well. Even cave bears were probably more vegetarian and they were fucking huge.
>>
>>2457184
Packs are effective, I meant their killing strategy is realy suboptimal, so it can't be done alone, it wouldn't work for a solitary animal.
>>
File: manedwolf-005.jpg (845KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
manedwolf-005.jpg
845KB, 1400x700px
>>2457152

Maned Wolf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maned_wolf

Not entirely a canid, but i would say close enough.

Although it doesnt fit your 'big-game' canid description.

In fact, ~50% herbivorous.
>>
Because cats are better, fag.
>>
>>2457170
because cats (except lions) kill in one bite
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.