[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First pet ostrich

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 14

Hey, guys. I fucking love non-parrot/corvid birds.
I've owned chickens and pigeons before, but I can't stop thinking about ostriches.
I have a whole incubation room that stays around 85 degrees year round that I raised my chickens in and a fair bit of land. My back yard has brick all around it about 6 feet tall and is fairly large with a huge awning. I've checked local laws and restrictions involving ostriches and I'm fairly certain I'm in the clear.

The problem is I've been having trouble finding ostrich related care guides and websites.
I was wondering if any of you kind folks had any experience with raising/farming/owning ostriches or if any of you could point me in the right direction resource wise.
I'm sure it'll be a while until I'm prepared to raise a baby ostrich, but I'm dead set on having one within the next 2 years.

TLDR; Red pill me on owning ostriches.
>>
Sounds golden op I think you're ready
>>
File: P_20161213_095648.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
P_20161213_095648.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Good luck
>>
>>2456485
Thanks, anon.

I'm really hoping I can find somewhere that sells ostrich feed and maybe an ostrich forum.
>>
I raised two emus and they were assholes as adults. Too dangerous to go in with them anymore. They weren't mine but my ex-bosses who was hoping for a breeding pair.

As a kid we had a friend with two ostriches in Maine(their house was in the middle of a parking lot) and they were dicks too.
Sorry I can't be much help but they don't seem like very good pets.
>>
>>2456496
Thanks for the info anon, but there's no stopping me until I know for a fact they can't be good pets even with daily human interaction from birth.
I've made chickens into pomeranians and managed to train pigeons to follow me everywhere.
An ostrich can't be too impossible with the amount of determination I have.
Especially since I want one as a companion and not just a meat or egg bird.
>>
File: urp0u-Curious-ostrich.jpg (122KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
urp0u-Curious-ostrich.jpg
122KB, 600x448px
Just look at how cute these guys are.
>>
>>2456447
>>2456447
It will fuck you up, anon. It barely has a brain and will not recognise you as a companion. An emu is one thing, an African ostrich that is twice that size is another.

I live in an area with many ostrich farms. An ostrich lightly poked my dad with its foot and he ended up with several broken ribs. A little more and he could've died. Ostriches are not to be trifled with.
>>
>>2456684
If I die, I die. I'll leave the ostrich everything in my will.

If pit bull owners can get 2 to 12 years out of a dog just to get SMASHED and SLAMMED then it'd be worth it to raise an ostrich.

You have no idea how much I've wanted this. At the very least there's a window on the side of my house that opens to the backyard I could hang a bag of food out of the window and see my beautiful armless taun-taun eat and run around maybe pet his head, though I've seen people ride and pet ostriches. Ostrich farms are usually for egg laying and meat and breeding the ostriches for more egg laying and meat.
I doubt that someone who runs a whole ostrich farm will spend a fair amount of time socializing with every single ostrich every day.
There's little you can say to convince me to give up my dreams, but if you would be so kind to give me any ostrich farm area advice or tips or description of their housing that would be amazing , anon. Thanks.
>>
When I was a kid my neighbor raised these things. Used to throw grass and apples over the fence to them. Good memories
>>
File: IMG_3355.jpg (44KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3355.jpg
44KB, 480x270px
I'd start with rheas if you're serious about getting into ratites. Basically x-small ostriches from South America.
>I've owned chickens and pigeons
Imagine owning wild ungulates except they are bipedal and feathered.
>>
File: IMG_3356.jpg (187KB, 750x636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3356.jpg
187KB, 750x636px
>>2456832
Full grown rhea in some spic woman's kitchen, jc.
>>
>>2456447
Kill your se.....nevermind, your ostrich will do it for you.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>>2456732
All right anon, if you really want to do it, then sure, go and follow your dream.

I don't know much about the inner workings of an ostrich farm, sorry. All I know is that the ostriches live in very large paddocks with shelters like pic related that they supposedly love.
>>
>>2456496

Yeah, I tried the emu thing too. Assholes, assholes, aaaaaaassssshooooooles.

I'm just content with my chickens, turkeys and bobwhite now.
>>
Op, here. Does anyone know if ostrich babies really eat shit?

>>2456832
They're not as cute, but maybe I'll postpone the ostrich and get a rhea within the next two years instead as a practice run.... but then I'm going to be stuck with two big ass birds.

>>2456920
Holy shit that picture's beautiful. Thanks anon.

>>2456956
Any stories of raising emus? Any tips on incubation?
>>
>>2456447
Godspeed op
>>
File: 546181-bigthumbnail.jpg (168KB, 450x281px) Image search: [Google]
546181-bigthumbnail.jpg
168KB, 450x281px
>>2457494
Thanks for bumping the thread, buddy.

It's been a pain in the ass to get any information on local breeders, care, or housing requirements for ostriches. Every day I've been checking this thread while searching else where. I've ordered an ostrich care guide as well.

Oh, and one day when I get an ostrich I'll make sure to start a thread of the same name or an ostrich general to document his cuteness.

Then if I get killed by an ostrich all of /an/ can kek.
>>
>>2457497
>housing requirements for ostriches

They aren't meant to be housed. You need a ranch where they can run.
>>
Ostrich bump

>inb4 every day until you want one
>>
File: PAY-SWNS_EBAY_EMU_09.jpg (54KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
PAY-SWNS_EBAY_EMU_09.jpg
54KB, 615x461px
There's a bird sanctuary near where I live and they have a petting zoo area with a free range emu and it's the friendliest thing ever. You can pet it, give it a hug, cuddle it for hours and it won't do anything to you. The staff there told me it was surrendered by some guy who didn't want it as a pet anymore. So it is possible.
>>
>>2457939
Stories like this always tempt me into getting some. Sucks that I don't even have the funds or time.
>>
>>2456956
>>2457014
Compared to ostriches - emus are better. Sure they can be aggressive cunts but from everything I've been reading thanks to OP it looks like there is a much higher possibility of them not being total cunts. Ostriches seem to be dumber and more flighty.

Not sure why the two chicks I raised turned out to be cunts but then again my boss wanted them back once they were big enough to be in his outdoor chicken pen. Could have been stress or not enough room since his farm was also a school bus yard. I wouldn't recommend putting them with chickens either. Some people say it's ok if they have been raised with chickens but at the same time if emus bug out they will not care what they stomp on and they tend to toss and stomp chicks on purpose. My boss lost a chicken here and there but he would separate hens and chick from them. He wasn't a very good farmer but none of his animals were pets to him.

And emus bouncing around is hilarious.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yH5wwwF17l0
>>
File: AyvCCTh.gif (3MB, 400x291px) Image search: [Google]
AyvCCTh.gif
3MB, 400x291px
>>2457957
But I cant ride an emu.
Oh anon, if you could see my plans for the future.
>be future child
>first day of school
>mom makes all of her children ride the ostrich as their right of passage ritual
>ride ostrich to school with mom driving in a car behind us to make sure we don't get lost or kidnapped
>tie ostrich to bike rack and wave goodbye to my mom
>tfw alpha as fuck coolest kid at school everyone thinks I'm Australian.
>>
>>2457968
You'd probably have to train it (if that's even possible) extremely well because some idiot kid would probably try to pet it or ride it and get killed otherwise.
>>
>>2458004
It's okay. I'll get it a feed bag for when it's being ridden and I'm definitely going to try and train it.
And.. You know... If a kid just so happens to die it's not my problem.
>>
>>2458008
You realize they'll probably put your ostrich down if it kills a kid, dumb accident or not, right?
That's how they do dogs, let alone an exotic like an ostrich.
>>
>>2458010
Not if they can't find the ostrich.

But yes, I realize this could happen if I'm not responsible and shit.
>>
>>2458010
>>2458004
He isn't being serious, anon. If OP is determined there is no stopping dumb people but he isn't going to do THAT.
>>
>>2458040
Determined to actually get an ostrich, I mean. I'm so drunk.
>>
File: 159.jpg (456KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
159.jpg
456KB, 1600x1200px
>>2458040
I'm completely serious, since my information on domestic ostriches and their limitations is extremely little I'm going to assume all of this is possible until I can find proof saying otherwise.

No matter what I'm going to get an ostrich.
How well trained or socialized that ostrich is will depend on its limitations as an ostrich.

Again, if anyone has any ostrich raising experience or reliable ostrich farming related websites I'm here every day.
>>
How much is a "fair bit of land"? You realize these are pasture animals right?
>>
>>2458056
An acre.
>>
Well, anons.
I've found a place that sells fertile ostrich eggs and day old babies once a year. Their breeding season is already over, but now I have a reliable means of getting the ostrich eggs.
Next I'll just have to find a reliable source for questions concerning the ostriches health, an incubator big enough for anbostrich egg or a heating pad, a veterinarian who knows how to work with ostriches, ostrich care guides, somewhere that sells ostrich feed, ostrich safe snacks, ostrich wire fencing (get it?) and cute ostrich clothes.

Also, bumping for birds.
>>
>>2458088
Doesn't sound like nearly enough
>>
>>2458636
For one ostrich? Huh. Guess I'll have to take him for jogs too, then.
>>
>>2458636
>>2458693
Actually.
I think riding him around or maybe having him plow some fields to make an ostrich safe garden would both be good exercise for him.
>>
>>2458541
Aren't ostriches social animals? Even if you're with it all the time, you can't replace the company of another ostrich. That alone will really stressful, so I'd honestly try for two if you're really going to do this.
>>
>>2458700
Maybe put an emu in with it?
I don't know if I could really handle two ostriches unless I become a body builder.
But then again.
I have one chinchilla and she's happy as fuck.
And one pigeon and he refuses to find a mate and he's pretty happy. Sassy as hell, but happy.

I'm not too sure if having one social animal is as bad as /an/ thinks it is.
>>
>>2456834
Can confirm, we call those ñandus and they are as friendly as a chicken is, (not much really).
>>
>>2456496
>Maine
Maine ranges from cold to arctic for half of the year. How did they survive that?

>>2456507
Why an ostrich instead of an emu? Emus are a little bit smaller and more social. Seems like it'd be easier to tame for domestic living.
>>
>>2461364
Nevermind the emu question. I should have read the whole thread before replying.
>>
>>2458702
The ostrich might kick the smaller emu to death.
>>
>>2461535
Right... No emu, then.
>>
>>2461535
doesnt have to, on jewtube you can see some people raise them together
>>
>>2458698
>I do say
>simply place the item into the back of my utility wagon
>>
File: ostrich_cart_messybeast.jpg (51KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
ostrich_cart_messybeast.jpg
51KB, 500x358px
>>2463712
Why of course my good sir.
How many orphans did you want?
>>
>>2456447
My aunt/uncle owned ostriches, had them for a month or two and then they fucking laid into my aunt so my uncle shot them both. Don't get Ostriches
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.