[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 86

Dog General - Dog Days of Summer Edition
Previous episode >>2442337

Dog food review site - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

>What should I feed my dog?
>What breed of dog should I get?
>How do I train my dog?
>Rate my dog!
>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
>What breed is my dog?
>What toys should I get my dog?
>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
>Where do I get a dog?
>How do I take care of a puppy?
>How do I house train a dog?
>Can my dog eat this?
>Let me blog post!
And much more!

Discord link goes to #mammal
https://discord.gg/HQkud96
>>
File: 1479506961162.jpg (50KB, 480x552px) Image search: [Google]
1479506961162.jpg
50KB, 480x552px
>>
my puppy seems to be pretty sporadic when it comes to flipping the fuck out when I leave her alone. Sometimes she's cool with it, other times she calms down within a couple minutes, and other times it takes her up to 20 minutes to stop screaming and then anyone who walks past her line of sight will just trigger her again.

Is this normal? I figure she's still just getting the hang of it because she's only been in the house for a week, but I worry that it'll develop into separation anxiety
>>
>>2456347
Never mind, I'm a huge retard. I somehow forgot to give her a chew treat this time and that's why she was freaking out and not focusing on something else.
>>
>tfw can't snack on cheese anymore because he knows I'm taking some cheese out almost immediately and runs from the other side of the house to beg for a piece
>he gets really disappointed if I don't give him anything
>>
Is it reasonable to take a whippet small game hunting in a wide variety of environments? I was planning on getting one in November, but I don't know how hardy they are when it comes to deserts or snowy areas.
>>
>>2456501
this happens to me with c heerios
>>
File: IMG_0223.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0223.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
I just found out today that my 13 year old Lab that I've had since middle school has bone cancer in her shoulder. Vet said that she wouldn't be able to handle chemo and amputation isn't viable either. The only dog I've had before this, my family gave to the owner of that dog's sister because we moved from the east coast to the west coast.

I've never dealt with a dog dying before, what do I do? I live alone with her and my 2 year old Rottweiler and they're pretty much my only friends.
>>
File: 20170723_191417.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_191417.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
hi
>>
>>2456718
make her remaining days as comfortable as possible. have a serious discussion with your vet about when to euthanize. you don't want her to suffer needlessly. speaking from experience, seeing a dog you've loved for years deteriorate, live in pain, and struggle to live is just as difficult as dealing with their death.
>>
I'd like to retroactively apologize to my uncle's German shepherd. Apparently I would pull on his fur to stand up when I was little, and he took it like a champ.
>>
File: 600.jpg (35KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
600.jpg
35KB, 600x338px
Anyone have any tips on introducing a new dog to two scaredy cats? I am adopting a new dog soon, I heard that I should keep the cats in one room for two weeks while the dog got settled in. Would it be wise to let the cats roam free at night while the dog is crated or otherwise away? I plan on teaching her to keep her attention on me for the two weeks that the two species are segregated, but I can never be sure that she will listen when there's two live fluffy toys running around. Previous owner said she was good with cats at first but then began to nip at them (she also nips at other dog's heels), and it sounds like those cats didn't run away. I'm afraid these cats will trigger her even more because they will run.
>>
File: 1364208375126.jpg (389KB, 2464x1648px) Image search: [Google]
1364208375126.jpg
389KB, 2464x1648px
>tfw no dog
>>
File: 1502327436436.jpg (46KB, 588x575px) Image search: [Google]
1502327436436.jpg
46KB, 588x575px
>tried to teach sit with lure training
>Dog just walks backwards
>>
>>2456876
Keep her backed up against a wall.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (37KB, 480x706px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
37KB, 480x706px
I want to adopt a dog. When I was a teenager my parents had bullterriers and cockerspaniels. I would like to get one of these breeds since I kinda know what to expect. Problem is that I have to go to work for like 8-9 hours a day. Which one of these would be the best for me? I have a house and big garden...
>>
>>2456891
Get one of each kind of dog, breh. Have a dog door or something so they can go out and play or sit outside when you're not home and they'll be good when you're at work.
>>
>put my best bud down three years ago
>thinking about another pupper

I do really well with mastiffs. My last dog was a lab rott mix with all of the rott temperament. I oddly love the stubbornness. I've watched and helped train a few rotties, an American bulldog, and used to hike with my friends dogo argentino.

I am trying to find a breed I'll like. I'm thinking of going for an American bulldog or a dogo. A friend grew up with an anatolian Shepard and is trying to convince me to get one. I've only interacted with one once And it was a thrill, but otherwise I'm ignorant on them.

Help choose a molosser
>>
File: 800px-Newfoundland_dog_Smoky.jpg (148KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Newfoundland_dog_Smoky.jpg
148KB, 800x1200px
>>2456928
A fucking leaf
>>
>>2456891
You'd probably need a dog walker, doggy daycare or to come home for lunch just to let the dog out to pee. Most dogs can hold it for 7-8 hours tops. Because of that you'd need to look at older dogs. You didn't say how often you could stimulate the dog physically and mentally so I'm assuming not a ton, which means you'd need an even older, maybe senior dog. Both of those breeds are pretty active, but I believe Bull Terriers stay active longer due to less health problems and the fact that they originate from terriers. So you'd probably want to look at the cockers. I would say that bull terriers are very different in temperament than the cockers, but in shelter settings I've only met asshole cockers so who knows. Maybe from bad training or poor rearing. Anyways, Bull terriers are more prone to dog and stranger aggression and cockers are not. You will not find a pure bred bull terrier in a shelter and cockers will be hard to get to before anyone else does, you'll probably need to find rescues. Rescues can be good because they can tell you more about the dog than a shelter can. However, rescues can be picky and weird, so you have to find one you can work with.
>>
I want to get a dog, but I'm starting work up soon again (teacher), should I wait until next summer starts or should I be fine since I get home at around 3?
>>
>>2457012
Wait if you wanted to get a puppy

Otherwise you're fine if you're adopting an older dog
>>
Guys did I fuck myself over? I got a puppy and she's doing well with everything, but in a year I'm going to start working full-time because I'll be done with school. Is she going to be okay in a year for me to be gone at work. I'll definitely have someone to take care of her as I'm trying to move to a place with good animal resources. Lab/retriever mix. She's pretty clingy but calms down in a crate after ten minutes or so and goes to sleep.

My game plan was to get a trailer and some property, fence an area for her seated in concrete so she can't dig out, and have a dog door allowing her access inside and out when she wants.
>>
I need all the possible info you can give me on Dobermans.I know there is a shelter dedicated to them near where I live and the closest breeder is 8-8:30 hours away by car.I looked up most of the health related stuff but anything more would be helpful, like some suggestion on choosing weather I should wait for a puppy next year or commit to an older dog and rescue it, still next year.
>>
>>2457148
If you train her well she'll be fine in a year, if you don't, switch to hardwood floors

>>2457153
they're anorexic rotties, get a rottie
>>
>>2457012
But what time do you leave?
>>
So I have been wanting to get a dog since my cat died a couple of months ago. I got my cat on an animal shelter but I have been told that getting a dog from one is much more dangerous because of the lottery that the species is. So my question is, how true is this?
>>
>>2457393
8, i live a block away from the school i teach at and just walk
>>
>>2456876
It can be tricky to get it right. If you need to, have the dog stand right in front of a wall so they can't back up further.
>>
>>2457398
True to an extent. Shelter mutts can be great but since you don't know where they came from, it's possible they are hiding genetic defects/diseases that would appear later in life. So it's a bit of a gamble there, but if you're prepared to deal with those issues if/when they come up, don't worry too much about it. You can also visit potential dogs before you adopt them, and the shelter should have a pretty decent idea of what sort of temperament/energy needs the dog has, so you'll have a bit of an idea of what you're getting on that front as well.

So if you don't have any specific needs for the dog, going to a shelter instead of a breeder is an ok choice. There are pros and cons to each, but if you're smart about adopting and know what you're getting into, it should be fine.
>>
What are some ways to make your dog happy?
>>
>>2457558
Jack his dick off
>>
File: Pit Bull (25).jpg (50KB, 602x517px) Image search: [Google]
Pit Bull (25).jpg
50KB, 602x517px
>>2456928
You didn't give a lot of info to go off of so I'm not sure what you're expecting. Cane Corsos are getting pretty popular in the US now. Just be careful of the breeder, because most molossers now are bred for niggers and have disproportionate stranger aggression and/or poor early socialization.
>>2457012
pretty much this >>2457070 if you wanted a puppy, finding a proper breeder would take a long time anyways and you wouldn't get it in time. If you want a puppy and you know the breed, you can start looking and contacting breeders now. Just let them know you can't take a puppy until summer.
>>2457148
How long will you be gone? Could you go home for lunch breaks? general rule of thumb is a dog can hold it's bladder for an hour for every month in age, stopping around 8ish hours. So if she's well potty trained and goes to the bathroom before work you should be ok. Don't forget about boredom though, things like chewing and barking. Give her something to do while you're away.
>>2457153
Honestly the people that would know the most about dobermans are the ones that have been breeding them and rescuing them for years. Why not shoot them an email?
>>2457398
I'm not sure what you mean by lottery. What is true is that people put way too much emphasis on breed when it comes to shelter dogs. Even if a dog looks like a certain breed/mix, there is a very good chance it has none of that breed in it at all. And if it is somehow a purebred, it came from a BYB so there's no telling if the dog was actually bred to standard. Really what you have to do is NOT go on breed, as hard as that sounds. Too many people get a dog thinking it will be like the breed it looks like, and find out it's the opposite. You have to spend some time with the animal and know what to look for (and know what you want in a dog). If you are very worried about the dog's possible behavior issues or temperament, I highly suggest going to a rescue that fosters their dogs in homes; they will know more
>>
>>2457608
That's gay
>>
>>2457608
this desu
>>
>>2457608
Probably bait but would jacking off your dog help against unwanted behaviour like humping people and other dogs?
>>
File: 15.jpg (42KB, 500x630px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
42KB, 500x630px
>>2457618
>>2457614
>>2457612
Post yfw you realized dog sex toys are a thing
>>
>>2457621
Why not let your dog use your onahole?
>>
>>2457618
Yes it would.

My dog used to try to hump guests and shit. I started bringing him into my bedroom and jacking him off before guests came over and he stopped. Now if he wants jacked off he'll lick my hand and then run into the bedroom and do this growling/barking/wimper thing until I come jack him off. I don't mind it. It only takes a few mins and if it stops him from humping people or being frustrated that's great.

Basically I just grab his dick and jack a little, and he starts humping fast as fuck for 10 sec or so and then his dick starts pulsating. That shit is way bigger than you imagine. The first time I jacked him off I was desperate because a girl had came over and got really pissed at him humping a bit, I don't want to neuter because he's a Dane and they're prone to joint problems even more if they're neutered. Anyway I had no idea what I was doing and I didn't know his dick came all the way out and would get to like 7-8 inches, and they're blood red and white and veiny as fuck. Anyway.... if your dog humps guests and shit he's probably just horny and doesn't hump you because you taught him not to. At least with my dog it essentially solves the problem.
>>
File: where-is-god.jpg (26KB, 592x400px) Image search: [Google]
where-is-god.jpg
26KB, 592x400px
>>2457621
I just wanted to make my dog happy, what's wrong with you
>>
>>2457623
Also he doesn't seem to like being stroked, just needs someone to help him get started. You def are gonna want a towel down
>>
>>2457622

I read this as
>why don't you let your dog use you as an onahole?
Like three times. Fuck thus website, man, it's corrupting my mind.
>>
>>2457623
I'm pretty sure there's another cleaner method that breeders who do artificial insemination use. Like there's a spot under their balls that you squeeze and they'll cum instantly or something. Could be bullshit but I vaguely remember reading about it. Can't be arsed to look it up though
>>
>>2457623
What does his dick feel like in your hand? Doesn't it feel weird and gross or whatever?
>>
>>2457608
>>2457612
>>2457614
>>2457618
>>2457621
>>2457622
>>2457623
>>2457625
>>2457629
>>2457631
>>2457632
Welcome to 4chan, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>2457632
I usually just have to grab his sheath and he starts humping. Honestly after his dick is hard and starts pulsating I can leave and he does his thing. He doesn't seem to like being stroked after he gets started, and doesn't care if I leave, which is kind of good I guess.

>>2457631
I think that's the bulge shit at the base of their dick. Pretty much what I do. Basically I grab his sheath and slide my hand a few times and he starts humping for like 15 sec and his dick comes out of his sheath and starts pulsing and that's all I need to do
>>
>>2457635
Have you ever accidentally tasted his cum
>>
>>2457635
is it warmer than a human penis? I would imagine it is if it's so veiny.
>>
>>2457638
No. It just looks like water/piss though desu can't see it having much taste

>>2457639
Well I don't actually touch his dick, just his sheath for the most part, basically by the time it's out and hard my part is done.
>>
>>2457633
What? I'm not a weirdo or anything, I'm just asking for a friend
>>
>mother wants a dog to go running with
>I want a dog because I like dogs and dogs like me
>we never actually get a dog
How do I convince mom to just get a fucking dog?
>>
>>2457647
"mommy, can I get a dog :(?"
>>
>>2457647
You realize this website is 18+ right?
>>
>>2457651
>implying everyone over 18 lives away from his parents
>>
>>2457652
People over 18 are usually mature enough not to throw a hissy fit when mommy does buy him a puppy :)
>>
File: 1502144389564.png (54KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
1502144389564.png
54KB, 588x588px
>>2457647
Go to the pound on a free adoption day (likely this Saturday on national clear the shelters day) and get one
>>
>>2457655
Doesn't *

Fuck
>>
>>2457658
WHO'S UNDER 18 NOW BITCH?!?!?!
>>
>>2457655
but I'm not angry, maybe my wording made it seem that way but I'm not. I just think she needs take some initiative since she's been saying for over a year that she would really like to have dog as a running partner, that's all.
>>
>>2457659
Still you
>>
File: IMG_20170725_201736.jpg (64KB, 676x901px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_201736.jpg
64KB, 676x901px
>>
>>2457621
jesus fucking christ
>>
File: 1490113371328.jpg (35KB, 735x541px) Image search: [Google]
1490113371328.jpg
35KB, 735x541px
>>2457659
Fag
>>
>>2457610
>transexuals.jpg
>>
>>2457667
straighty
>>
stop arguing and post cute dogs.
>>
File: asd.jpg (207KB, 734x977px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
207KB, 734x977px
>>2457683
have a booper on the house anon
>>
>father gets a dog from a shelter
>very kind dog but extremely anxious around new people due to a history of abuse and neglect
>starts sitting next to me and accepting pets after only a few visits
Does this mean I should get a dog too?
>>
>>2457724
>extremely anxious around new people
It was just poorly socialized as a pup probably. Shelters tell you anything to get you to feel bad for them.

>>starts sitting next to me and accepting pets after only a few visits
Sounds like you were nice to the dog and gave calm vibes and were around it enough that it was comfy near you.

>Does this mean I should get a dog too?
If you want one and can care for it properly, sure
>>
Talked to the vet about the options I have for my dog concerning flea protection, and decided to go with the flea collar.
Got him a few toys while I was at it too.

Got me wondering about dog leashes. Are those bungee leashes any good? Almost got one but I didn't want to look autistic.
>>
>>2457610
For school it's 8-2 I'm gone but she'll only be crated from 10-2 when my mother leaves. Inb4 underage I'm 19, living at home and going to school an hour away. She has been doing fine with holding it and doesn't go at night from 10pm~ to 6am, sleeping most of that time. After school I have no real way of knowing what the situation is until I get hired. I'll be a lineman and I'll probably have to stay on site for lunch, maybe I'll find a housewife. Just don't want to do anything wrong to my puppy.
>>
>>2457385
She's already trained pretty well to go outside at 11 weeks. I haven't had one in over a week now. I have more accidents from my 16yo dog than my puppy kek.
>>
My pup has had bad eye boogers for the last few days. She doesn't seem sick otherwise though and her eyes aren't all red like conjunctivitis. She just went to the vet for a checkup and shots last week so I don't really wanna take her again right away. Any thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_20170812_163007.jpg (206KB, 1201x901px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170812_163007.jpg
206KB, 1201x901px
>>2457683
Are cats welcome too?
>>
>>2457737
>Shelters tell you anything to get you to feel bad for them.
Shelter worker here, at least for the shelters I've worked at we were taught to NOT tell people a dog was abused/neglected unless it actually was. It actually keeps people from adopting, not encourages it. There was actually polls that show most people who don't go to shelters do so because it's sad, so we don't want to make shit even more depressing for those that do come. Most people come to these crazy conclusions by themselves. "Oh this dog has a scar on it's face, it was used as a bait dog!" type of shit. I always tell people that abuse and neglect are very rare, but they like to come up with stories themselves. I don't say they are retarded when they do that though, being condescending also hurts adoptions
>>
>>2457790
I have been enlightened...

>I don't say they are retarded when they do that though, being condescending also hurts adoptions
kek
>>
>>2457787
No, crop the cat out next time please
>>
Is training two puppies harder than one? Can you train both at the same time?
>>
File: 20170816_140921.jpg (740KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_140921.jpg
740KB, 1512x2016px
Just picked up this little lady yesterday. Did I do good?
>>
File: 1501750710945.jpg (38KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1501750710945.jpg
38KB, 413x395px
>>2457623
Holy shit
>>
Brought 4 month puppy to shelter and a bigger dog attacked her. She didn't tell, she didn't have any wounds. She was hesitant at first but then resumed playing with another puppy. Anything I should be concerned about? I was going to bring her back this weekend.
>>
>>2457804
You can train two dogs at once.

It's way harder and takes longer.
>>
File: IMG_4467.jpg (840KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4467.jpg
840KB, 2448x2448px
busted pooping in the basement!
>>
>>2457705
Is that a pitbull?
>>
File: ClosedDenseAlaskanmalamute.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ClosedDenseAlaskanmalamute.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
She likes the sand but hates the ocean.
>>
>>2457756
>Are those bungee leashes any good?
You mean extendable/retractable leashes, or the leashes with a stretchy portion for impact absorption?

If it's the latter, then yes, those are good. Even if you have a dog that doesn't generally pull on the leash, it's good as insurance anyways--if they see something and lunge for it unexpectedly, the impact-absorbing stretchy strap can help prevent injury to your dog (or to you.) Pretty handy to have as a "just in case thing," and a VERY good idea if you have a dog that is reactive or pulls/lunges a lot on leash.

>Almost got one but I didn't want to look autistic
why would you think that? That's weird.
>>
File: IMAG0165.jpg (603KB, 1345x761px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0165.jpg
603KB, 1345x761px
>>
>>2457817

She's an adorable little beardog. Remember to give her plenty of training and jobs so she doesn't tear up the house!
>>
>>2457994
I don't really understand this story, your sentence structure is a bit weird. But if your dog was attacked, yes be concerned. It may get hurt. Also google fear periods in puppies. Might affect how your dog will interact with other dogs if she becomes terrified of them.
>>2457804
You need to set one-on-one training times for both dogs. So it basically takes two times longer. Just for that, I would say it would be difficult. Because both dogs are starting from a blank slate, there's a good chance that one dog's bad habits will become the other dog's bad habits too. Also read into littermate syndrome
>https://blog.betternaturedogtraining.com/2013/07/18/littermate-syndrome/
>>2457769
Eyes don't need to be red for conjunctivitus. Some breeds get a lot of 'tears' and such. What is the consistency and color of the boogers? If it is excessive, just keep cleaning it off and if it doesn't go away soon you should call up the vet.
>>2457756
Flea collars can be a hit or a miss, unless it's a seresto of similar brand. Bungee leaches are ok, not great for dogs still learning not to pull. If your dog doesn't pull it's fine though. Just in training, you're supposed to give them the same length of leash to get used to, and a bungee leash can fuck that up slightly. May not be enough to confuse all dogs in training, but there's still the potential. Retractable leashes are utter shit.
>>
>>2458383
The more I read about it the more two dogs sounds like a bad idea.
>>
File: 23.png (55KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
23.png
55KB, 300x300px
I just fully transitioned my dog to TOTW. Before I was feeding her Science Diet. Now that she's fully on TOTW, she has started to eat poop.

Any one have any ideas why this would happen? Everything else is fine with her.
>>
>>2458177
>why would you think that? That's weird.
I live by a military base and dont want people to think I'm tryharding with my 40lb cuteboi dog

>>2458383
It is a seresto collar. My dog does like to pull a lot which is why I looked at the leash or a harness. Dont want to choke him, and if its a harness I've held back much bigger dogs with one so its no issue.
>>
>>2458457
The food is so tasty she wanted a second helping
>>
>>2458420
Didn't mean to destroy your hopes and dreams. It's doable it's just difficult. What would probably be easier is to get a dog/puppy, wait until it's well trained and well socialized, then get another dog/puppy. There's less of a chance of an already trained dog to revert it's training into bad behaviors again (although it is possible). And the trained dog could actually help train the new one.
>>2458457
Kek it must taste better now. Are you able to pick it up before she eats it? There are actually supplements you can give dogs that makes their shit taste worse to keep them from eating.
>>
What's a good treat for a puppy to chew on for a good amount of time? She has toys but she usually ignores them and bites something else or looks for food. I feed her the amount said on the bag spaced out over the day. I have puppy milk bones, some blue buffalo treats but she rekts those in seconds.
>>
>>2458457
Her own poop or other dogs' poop?
>>
>>2456850
why do you choose to live?
>>
>>2458694
I'm getting a house next summer. Doggo is next on my list.
>>
why do doggars carry objects all over

I'm watching mine with a stuffed icecream sandwich. He's not chewing it, he's not playing with it, he's just walking around conducting his dog business as usual

yesterday I was watching my other one do that with a tennis ball

they just pick things up, carry them around for a while, and then put them down

why?
>>
>>2458466
You shouldn't be too concerned with how you're coming across to people, for something as simple as choice of leash. Who cares?

If your dog pulls a lot, I would recommend a front-clip harness if you're concerned about him choking himself. Harness puts pressure on the chest instead of the neck, and the front clip will redirect him when he tries to pull forward, which can help curb the behavior.

Be careful though, some front-clip harnesses aren't built well and can be uncomfortable or put unnecessary strain on dogs' bodies. The Ruffwear Front Range harness is a good basic harness, well built and comfortable, with an attachment point on the back and on the chest so you can choose how you want to leash your dog.
>>
>>2458675
Try bully sticks. For a puppy, they should last quite a while. They are yummy and edible, but will take her a while to consume so she'll be occupied with them for a while. They're not cheap, though.
>>
>>2458788
I honestly think it's because they see you doing it and they think they're helping.
>>
>>2458788
my niece does the same thing with her toys, she's 3 years old. probably a security thing
>>
File: 1469328814747.jpg (51KB, 678x678px) Image search: [Google]
1469328814747.jpg
51KB, 678x678px
My mom's dog hates everyone but her.

I've tried everything. Feeding him, walking him, giving him loads of attention for a couple years now. He'll follow me around when I have a treat, but ignore me otherwise. He prefers to hide when Mom's not home to spending time with me.

It's actually making me really upset. I do all the work for this dog, but the most he gives me is a blank stare. Is it time to give up?
>>
File: 7651357.jpg (193KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
7651357.jpg
193KB, 900x1600px
>>
>>2456928
Don't get an inbred dog. Get a mutt
>>
Any tips on how to entertain, walk, possibly train (?), or otherwise energize and have fun with a dog in puberty?

He's a 7 month old medium poodle who over night became so skittish that even going on the neighbourhood walk is a complete struggle right now. He sits down the moment he hears a strange sound or smells something weird, and has about 3 minutes of focus in any kind of activity besides staring at ghosts or going back and forth in a bush, intensely sniffing the same trail over and over again.
>>
>>2458960
nice lighting
>>
>>2458994
>besides staring at ghosts
Get an exorcist you fucking idiot
>>
Are labradors normally aggressive? My neighbour has 2 black labs and if they ever see my 4 year old daughter they will always run at her and start barking.
>>
>>2459108
They can be really rambunctious around kids if they aren't raised properly, but it's rarely aggression

Your neighbor sounds like the "get two dogs so they aren't lonely and leave them alone in the yard" type
>>
>>2458994
he has mental problems- anxiety
maybe you should cure him?
>>
>>2458694

her own poop
>>
>>2459155
Meant to reply to

>>2458692
>>
My dog freaked out when she saw two dogs she's normally fine with today. They were playing off-leash in a field and when she saw them, she immediately turned and tried to run away. Neither of the dogs saw her so they didn't rush her or anything like that. She just went nuts and started crying and trying to escape.

What's wrong with my retarded dog??
>>
File: 20170817_112116_HDR~2.jpg (437KB, 1920x1235px) Image search: [Google]
20170817_112116_HDR~2.jpg
437KB, 1920x1235px
Say hello to Gea. She is my new sweetie
>>
My dog would rather relieve himself in the house rather than outside. He's about a year old, I've never been able to get him consistently going outside and outside only. I have all three of my dogs in crates at night now, probably for the best.

Another thing, he eats really oddly. I mean, he grabs a pellet of food from the bowl, walks away, eats it, rinse and repeat. The only time he eats the whole thing is when I put hot water in it, cause he can't pick it up I guess. When I feel his ribs he seems a little skinny, but he doesn't seem to eat unless I'm standing by him. He likes to eat rabbits though.

Help pls
>>
File: ss (2017-06-09 at 11.11.32).png (400KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-06-09 at 11.11.32).png
400KB, 600x593px
>>2459194
The only thing that needs changed is training them to shit/piss outside

You should be able to *see* your dogs ribs if it's a short haired dog

Pic related, if your dog has decent muscle definition and good energy levels, they aren't underweight even if you can see their ribs
>>
Can someone identify a breed of pupper? Its that one that looks like it has downs where the eyes are lined up with the top of the snout, it has a flattish head, floppy ears. Eyes kinda weird too
>>
>>2459216
that is probably a pug bro if its under 20lbs
>>
>>2459220
no, it has a longer snout. It has two big ridges on top of the head
>>
>>2459226
kind of looks like a Lab but with downs
>>
>>2459226
>>2459227
english bulldog?
>>
>>2459228
no, I think maybe that "oh you" meme doggo is one
>>
>>2459213
He's a long haired weiner dog, pretty strong and active despite being a little guy, guess he'll be fine. Thanks anon.
>>
File: med_1482908683_00031.jpg (44KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
med_1482908683_00031.jpg
44KB, 640x481px
>>2459246
This guy
>>
Spot farms dehydrated food, any good? I've got two small dogs, they've done well with dehydrated food in the past, but I don't remember the brand
>>
>>2459251
I think you might just have a really fat lab mix of some kind lol
>>
>>2459254
not my doggo. I keep seeing them around and thought they were cute.
>>
File: IMG_0747.png (644KB, 785x661px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0747.png
644KB, 785x661px
>let puppy on bed
>starts to sperg out, gets insanely hyper, and bites everything she can- even me

Is my dog autistic

Why does she do this
>>
>>2459340
Probably playing
>>
>>2459340
HAha, picklerick. Good meme friend :^)
>>
>>2458383
Sorry, fucking autospell. It wasn't at a shelter, it was at a dog park. I didn't mean "fell," I meant she didn't yelp.

She was with my boyfriends parents dog yesterday and seemed fine, going to go tomorrow to the park and see how she feels. Figured positive reinforcement with treats may help, but that definitely makes a lot of sense with the fear period.

Kind of worried that maybe I should hold off on taking her but I wanted to make sure she was well socialized.
>>
>>2458141
>alaskanmalamute.webm

no, honey
>>
>>2457817
good woofer, very cute.
>>
>>2458994
Look into something called fear periods in puppies. Sounds like something dumb may have scared your pup
>>
>>2455957
Doggo has fleas,its not a minor case,not rich,what do?? Any good inexpensive methods to purge apt of parasites??
>>
File: oh gosh.png (28KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
oh gosh.png
28KB, 500x223px
>>2457817
>that chubby bald puppy belly
>>
>>2459340
My puppy bites me when we play. She just like biting shit, I've heard they grow out of it.
>>
>>2459534
I've heard burning the neighbourhood down works
>>
File: IMG_0759.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0759.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>2457817
Eyyy fellow malinois bro

Here's my little retard sleeping against her pen
>>
I really want an akita but apparently they're not good first dogs, are there similar looking dogs (spitz?) that are good first doggos?
>>
>>2459182
Dogs don't have super great eyesight at a distance. It's possible she saw them, didn't recognize them, and got spooked. Dogs are silly like that sometimes.

>>2459340
Puppies get a bug up their ass and flip out with hyper excitement sometimes. It's pretty normal, she's just excited and doesn't know what to do with her energy. Might be overstimulated/tired (that sometimes triggers this sort of behavior) and could do with a nap in her crate or something. Either way, don't worry, she'll grow out of it eventually.

>>2459633
Aww, lookit those little puppy teeth!

>>2459635
Hmm, pretty much all spitz breeds are "not good first dogs." That said, if you really do your research beforehand and know what you're getting into, and are sure you can handle it, there's no real reason to not get an akita (or other spitz) if that's what you really want. The "not good for first time owners" is a guideline, not a hard rule. If you have the aptitude and commitment for it, go for it.
>>
>take puppy to hang out with his larger playmate
>puppy wants to play at first, then hides under furniture and runs to us(parents)
>his playmate keeps trying to hold onto his legs with her mouth and pull him away
>she also had his whole head in her mouth
>puppy is completely still, no tail wagging, wants her to stop but she won't

I don't know if I'll bring him over anymore. His playmate is like 5x his size and she's playing so much rougher compared to last time. rip
>>
File: IMG954198.jpg (78KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG954198.jpg
78KB, 720x1280px
>>2457705
boopin the snoot is best when your doggo has a big snoot. this is why i love my basset. more than enough ears to go around, with paws and nose to share.
>>
File: dog.jpg (38KB, 506x640px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
38KB, 506x640px
Any idea on breed?
>>
File: IMG_0992.jpg (966KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0992.jpg
966KB, 3264x2448px
He found the ice cubes in the cup
>>
>>2459836
mutt but an aesthetic one. German Shephard mix
>>
>pretty sure dog is well housetrained by now
>hasnt peed or poo'd anywhere inside in the last two weeks
>hasnt chewed on anything in over a month, just his toys

You think its safe to trial period him out on sleeping upstairs with us now? The downstairs where I have him has no AC and it makes me feel bad
>>
>>2459957
how old is he? are you heavy sleepers? has he been upstairs before?
>>
File: border collie.jpg (31KB, 520x346px) Image search: [Google]
border collie.jpg
31KB, 520x346px
Hey guys im looking for some material on dog breeding. I want to know about how we made modern dog breeds out of wolves/different breeds. Not how to get dogs to make babies or how to adhere to a kennel club standards. Anybody know of any good books or websites or anything?
>>
Anyone have opinions on getting a basenji?
>>
File: 20170819_133046.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_133046.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>2459836
no idea but he has the same length coat as my mutt
>>
>>2460049
looking cute!
>>
File: 20170819_133035.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_133035.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>2460086
thx m8
>>
File: 20170817_201035.jpg (414KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20170817_201035.jpg
414KB, 2016x1512px
>>2459633
What a cutie! But mine is actually a German. She's a sable and that's why I picked her.
>>
Shiba Inu
Corgi
American Eskimo (toy)

Out of the three which one do you think would be the most laid back? Which dog would happily lay by my feet while I worked on my computer?
>>
File: savannah.jpg (70KB, 560x746px) Image search: [Google]
savannah.jpg
70KB, 560x746px
>>
File: wyan.jpg (9KB, 180x320px) Image search: [Google]
wyan.jpg
9KB, 180x320px
Hey guys how do I get into feeding my dog raw dog food? I live in aus so we have pretty bad dog food options over here.
>>
>>2459836
The face looks kinda spitz-like to me (think akita or shiba inu) and it's got shepherd-like ears. There's a high possibility of some of those breeds being in there.
>>
>>2460130
All three are decently high-energy, but a corgi or american eskimo are more likely to be happy to chill at your feet--shibas are more independent.
>>
Anybody own a toy dog or an American Eskimo?

I really want to get one but they're so damn hard to find in California.
>>
>tfw you let your puppy out two hours ago and she pissed on your bed during sleep then you roll in it
She hasn't had an accident for like two weeks.
>>
>>2459108
My golden retriever would also bark at kids. I think they made her uncomfortable because of how inexperience she was with them. If dogs are not properly introduced to kids they also don't know how to act around them. Same goes with kids. Accidence only happen out of ignorence about the other kind. Perhaps get them to meet one another under close supervision on occasion?
>>
File: okoxvkb5s51uk3taqo7_1280.jpg (135KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
okoxvkb5s51uk3taqo7_1280.jpg
135KB, 960x720px
I can't wait for good hiking weather to come back...
>>
File: IMG-20170820-WA0008.jpg (1MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170820-WA0008.jpg
1MB, 2340x4160px
Who is a good girl?
>>
File: Right in.png (77KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
Right in.png
77KB, 500x265px
First time coming to /an/, need the trustworthy advice from strangers.
My dog's 14 years old, 3 days ago she stopped eating, breathes heavily, barely walks anymore, coughs whenever she gets excited or does any sort of physical activity.
We've taken her to the vet and she told us she pretty much has lung cancer, which can only be stabilized with treatment, but even that isn't helping her so far, and the tumor will full up her little lungs at most in 2 months, and that's not even the best scenario, cause she'll be asphyxiating during all that time.
Is it time for her? I'm thinking, she really shouldn't put up with this shit, she's very small and is always sad now.
>>
>>2460516
She's 14 with cancer anon. End her sufferings.
>>
>>2460516
There's a scale for measuring this if you feel uncertain:
http://pawspice.com/clients/17611/documents/QualityofLifeScale.pdf

But judging by your description, it sounds like it's time. I know it's a hard choice, and pet owners tend to hold onto hope that there's still some way to prolong the animal's life at least just a little bit. But your dog has lived to old age, her health is failing, and the cancer's already making her time limited.
>>
Adopted my doggo nachos today from the streets. Will take care of meds tomorrow. Anyone help me identify his breed? Im betting hes a mut
>>
File: 1503248528621.jpg (123KB, 1108x1477px) Image search: [Google]
1503248528621.jpg
123KB, 1108x1477px
>>2460570
>>
>>2460573
I think he just looks like a mutt, and people are almost always wrong with guessing anyways. handsome little dude, really good pigmentation. congrats!
>>
How often do doggos get fleas and ticks? I'm assuming it happens more in forests and fields?
>>
>>2460278
I feed my dog raw meat in the form of frozen 10 gram meat balls that are made for dogs and are no more expensive than high quality dry alternatives. This is almost 100% out of convenience, just throw the designated amount in a bowl, straight from the freezer, wait 20 minutes and serve, or shove 50g into a kong and deep freeze it for 1-2 hours of peace whenever you want.
It sounds like in Australia you will have to make it yourself though, which is an actual hassle I cant believe you would bother with
>>
>>2460602
This depends entirely on the size of the local flea and tick populations.

None of my dogs have had fleas, but I remove ticks maybe 10 times a week during the summer.
>>
>>2460602
it really depends on your local area, talk to a local vet and find out how bad ticks are in your area
>>
>>2460608
>>2460622
Apparently between 70% and 96% of mooses have ticks, but they live in the forest so maybe that's normal. I'll ask a vet.
>>
>>2460573
Nachos... had a hard life.

Post some more pictures when he's settled in and is looking happier.
>>
>>2460516
Shelter volunteer here. There has been this little dog of 14 and some months old at our boarding kennels and she's very full of life (even though she shakes a bit more than most dogs). If your dog doesn't show any signs of good health and they're already at an age where trying to improve it will give them trouble, it is best to let go. I'm sorry buddy.
>>
Can anyone guess breed? Listed as Kelpie, can't figure out the mix.
>>
>>2460879
>>
>>2460364
she is!
>>
File: 435345345.png (376KB, 639x388px) Image search: [Google]
435345345.png
376KB, 639x388px
Some people say that to teach shake, you need to put a food in your hand, close it and put your hand in front of the dog till it hits it with the paw. How come my dog doesn't try to open my hand with his paw?
>>
File: 1503289340751.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1503289340751.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
10 years old. She got pretty weak and sick lately. She can barely see and has tumors in her lungs, belly and shoulder. Today's the first day she refused to eat.
My parents are talking about putting her to sleep.
Is it bad that I don't want to go to the vet with them and rather stay home when it happens?
>>
>>2460879

i guess pit/staff & kelpie
>>
>>2460570
>>2460573
He looks like a terrier mutt to me. Guessing particular breeds for mutts isn't very accurate, so it's just a guess. But he might have jack russell terrier in him
>>
>>2460942
Some dogs aren't as "handsy" and prefer to manipulate objects with their mouths rather than their paws. For these dogs, it might take them longer to try and get the food from your hand with their paw (they will try nudging and licking it first.) You just have to be patient and wait for him to try using his paw. You could also move your hand closer to his paws (rather than having your hand held up near his face/torso) so he's more likely to think to use them.

>>2460944
It's your choice, but if you love that dog, you WILL regret not being there for her when they put her to sleep. I know it will be hard to watch, but do it for her. Be there for her one last time so she can feel the comfort of your presence until the very end.

>>2460992
Seconding this.
>>
File: revaty.jpg (91KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
revaty.jpg
91KB, 736x981px
>>
>>2459478
Unfortunately dog parks attract shitty owners who can't be bothered to play or train their dogs, so a lot of not listening and fighting breaks out. This is why many people actually try to avoid dog parks. Do you have any friends you know with dogs? It might be better to help her learn how to socialize with well behaved dogs that you know are friendly. Some trainers will also have dog play dates for just this purpose, or people put ads on CL for dog play dates which I think is kind of cringy. If you must use the dog park, try to keep tabs of what people/dogs to avoid and attempt to get there when they aren't there.

>>2458457
I'm swtiching my dog to TOTW, hope she doesn't start doing this.

>>2458675
How old? I've had some surprising luck with flavored nylabones, but they make a variety of them. Most are hard as hell but some are a little softer.

>>2458788
out of boredom, stress, could be for comfort, maybe finds it fun, sometimes if they have strong mothering instinct or they are attempting to protect the toy. There's a lot of potential reasons for it.

>>2458959
Some dogs are unfortunately one person dogs, especially smaller breeds and old world breeds. Building a relationship with these kinds of dogs takes a long time because of how wary they can be towards people. If you are able to spend a lot of time with the dog, you can keep trying.

>>2459108
By breed standard they shouldn't be, but it's not at all out of the question that a poorly raised or trained lab will become aggressive, it;s more common the more popular they get. However, barking is simply reactivity which can mean a lot of things, like being aggressive, scared, or playful.

>>2459194
Try to get a good idea of when they have to go, and how long they need to go after drinking a lot or eating. keep a schedule if you have to. It's a lot like yard training a puppy; take them out frequently, be with them, and praise them when they go outside.
>>
>>2459253
I highly recommend using this site because it actually goes off of the ingredients that someone took the time to look over and write about it, instead of user reviews that will give gravy train a 5/5 because the dog ate it. It also judges food on how many recalls the company has had and the grade of food being used.
>https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/spot-farms-grain-free-dog-food/
4 out of 5 stars is not bad. 5/5 dog foods generally cost $70 for a 25lb bag. Price drops significantly for 4 star foods.
>>2459534
You need to start cleaning your house daily and get your dog on a flea and tick preventative. I'm assuming you can't afford a seresto collar so you will need to et something monthly. Unfortunately the best and cheapest shit you need to get a referral from your vet to use, which I'm also assuming you don't have. Fleas like shaded areas both inside and outside of the house, so stay away from those areas outside and be vigilant about cleaning said areas inside.
>>2459635
Why do you want an Akita? I never really fell for the 'good beginner dog' meme, but I do think that people with little dog experience don't actually understand what they want in a dog and only get a dog based on looks. If you want an aloof dog that is prone to stranger and dog aggression and you're ready to deal with that (you shouldn't just let a dog be aggressive btw, it should be socialized and trained), then I think it's fine to look for reputable breeders who can tell you more about the breed. But what I find with new owners is that what they like the look of =/= what they actually want. Hence why goldens and labs are toted as good first time dogs, not necessarily because they are easy but because that's what people tend to want in a dog.
>>2459762
Sounds like you need to wait until your pup can hold it's own, and make sure that if one of them isn't enjoying play anymore that they are separated.
>>
>>2460005
I think the origin of species had a bit about domestic animals including dogs, but I may be thinking of something else. I've seen some people talk about Dogs: Domestication and the Development of a Social Bond, but I have no idea how in depth it is, I never read it myself. The Animal World by James George Needham had some interesting things to say about dogs, but it was more about dogs helping early humans rather than the transition of wolves into the domesticated dogs, and it didn't have a lot. Go read the sticky on >>>/litl/ to get the books for free. Sorry I couldn't help more with recommendations.
>>
>>2460326
Probably because it's hot af in most of California.
>>2460130
All of them are pretty high energy. How many hours a day can you dedicate towards playing/training?
>>2460944
Really SOMEONE should go in with that dog, make sure that at least some family member she is close to will be with her.
>>
>>2460001
9 months.
I'm an extremely light sleeper.
He has been upstairs before and he likes the AC.
>>
>>2459836
Its part alpaca, look at that fucking NECK
>>
>>2461280
>Why do you want an Akita?
Well looks is definitely a factor, but from what I read they seem like a good fit. Doesn't require a ton of exercise, doesn't bark too often, does well in cold and warm weather and is somewhat independent. I
>>
My lab probably only has a couple weeks left, she can barely walk because of the cancer wont let her put weight on her left front leg. I know I'll barely be able to handle it but I'm worried about my two rottweilers. Do dogs need help dealing with another dog in the house passing? I already deal with severe depression, I don't want my boys dealing with it too
>>
File: 1480662412481.jpg (79KB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
1480662412481.jpg
79KB, 1280x936px
Has anyone had issues with Taste of the Wild? The comments on Dogfoodadvisor are scaring me into returning the bag

It's Pine Forest
>>
File: 1487359365044.png (573KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
1487359365044.png
573KB, 710x842px
Just put my dog down, fuck me i'm sad.
>>
>>2461383
It's okay he had a good life with you.
>>
>>2460326
They actually do well in the heat if you take proper care of them.
>>
So my 1.5 year old dog has been missing for a month. We live in a small town where dogs are taken in by animal control quickly. What are the odds that he's dead or was taken in by someone who wanted to keep him.
>>
>>2461424
What breed was he?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2461438
Not too sure. I'm guessing a chihuahua mix.
>>
>>2461443
Did you chek the pounds and shit?
>>
>>2461450
Yeah, and they didn't have him. We're in a really small town so he would have been caught easily in half a day unless someone took him or he died out of town or somewhere animal control woyldn't find him. He's also microchipped so I guess I'll keep waiting to see if he ever shows up again.
>>
>>2461455
Good luck senpai, if you're in a small town keep your eyes out, hopefully someone picked him up and is keeping him
>>
>been playing with pupper nonstop since I got home to wear her out
>finally she gets sleepy so I pop her in her playpen with a blanket and some toys
>lay in my bed next to her for a bit till I hear her breathing steadily
>get up to leave so I can play my pathfinder campaign with my buddies
>just as I close the door I see her looking right at me
>she starts to whine and cry as I walk off

Dog pls I just want to hang out with my friends for like 2 HOURS
>>
>>2461580
it's like a toddler, endless energy
>>
>>2461443
I found 2 stray dogs this past month

>beautiful german shepherd w/ name & phone number on his tags
he was roaming around the sidewalk in front of my house then wandered of, almost got ran over in the gas station before I got a hold of him. Was able to immediately call the owners and get him back
>some chihuahua/x mutt with only his dog license
It was early morning so I couldn't drop him off at the pound so they could ring up his license # and call the owners. If he had a tag with a phone number or address I would have dropped him off, rip I have no idea what happened to him. He kept following me and my pup as we were on our morning jog, he even almost got ran over crossing the freeway. No idea what ended up happening to him.

Make sure your damn dogs always have tags with a number/address, city pounds aren't open 24/7 and you never know when they can get loose
>>
Anyone own a Bernese Mountain Dog?
Girlfriend and I have wanted one for a few years now, even went to a Bernese day at a park and played with a lot of them.
They seem like great dogs, really relaxed and loving. What issues do they have though?
I was talking to a few owners who said their lifespan is only roughly 8 years which isn't that high.
Also post pics of your BMD
>>
>>2461580
Really, you should've left instead of waiting until she was fully asleep. She's testing you and wants you to get her whenever she cries. As long as she's fed/watered/gone to the bathroom in the last [appropriate timeframe] hours, plus tired from playing, she should fall asleep quickly if you let her "cry it out".

>back in puppy days
>puppy has been taken care of, played with, is tired
>pop him in his crate for a nap and sit at my computer
>he starts crying because why should he be in there if I'm going to be out here?
>fake stomp around and close the front door, pretend to leave the house
>actually propped up on my elbows on the kitchen counter silently
>he cries for about a minute more
>dead asleep within the next minute

If they think they can guilt you, they'll try.
>>
>>2461309
Really independent and aloof. Stubborn. Potentially dog aggressive and could be aggressive to people too if not socialized properly. Just something to consider. Gorgeous dogs, though. Pretty smart, too.
>>
>>2461271
>Some dogs are unfortunately one person dogs
>unfortunately
But anon those are the best kind of dogs

>>2461715
When I was younger I always dreamed of getting a Bernese Mountain Dog. They are lovely dogs. Unfortunately, most larger breeds like that do have a shorter lifespan. I think they are prone to cancers and joint problems like arthritis and hip dysplasia, which again is pretty common for larger dogs.

So if you do choose to get one, look for breeders who health test their dogs and have lineage with less history of cancers and joint issues.
>>
File: 20170822_083803_HDR.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_083803_HDR.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Anyone is into setters?
This is my good girl I adopted two days ago from the shelter.
She was kicked and abandoned by a hunter. She had the face broken and a leg a bit offended. Now she recovered and is full of love. I love her and she is a very good girl. The most calm and intelligent dog i have ever owned. Say hello to Gea!
>>
>>2458068
isnt that your fault for not taking doggo outside?
>>
>>2461369
Okay, he had eaten some before I made that post. I just woke up to him throwing up. I started the transition slowly. I'm returning the bag tomorrow
>>
File: CEREAL YELLOW DRINK.jpg (5KB, 139x120px) Image search: [Google]
CEREAL YELLOW DRINK.jpg
5KB, 139x120px
My two year old dog bit me for the first time ever. I was taking him out for a walk and he was going crazy moving around so I pulled him a bit to my right side, as it is his usual position when we are out. He growled at me but I wasn't taking any of his shit so I tapped his nose as usual when he misbehaves. This time though little fucker bit me hard on my left hand and left a deep wound and continued growling. I proceeded to pin him down to the ground until he calmed down. I was mad as fuck. We then walked home and I really screwed up but couldn't help but hit him with his leash. I know, I know. He's been now confined to the washing room since.

Yesterday while playing in the park some kid I sometimes meet there got way to close to him and started hugging him a bit hard and tried to wrestle him to the ground. Just as I was about to stop him my dog lashed out to the kid's face but only left a minuscule mark on his forehead. The kid's little dog jumped out to defend him I guess and started a little fight with my dog. Had to separate them forcefully but after I did my dog bit me lightly on my right hand. Didn't punish him. I obviously told the kid to never do that again to any dog he meets.

Should I worry about this? If so what should I do the change this behavior? The growling is a problem but sadly I'm the only on in my house that imposes any kind of discipline on my dog. My parents are way to lenient and spoil him too much.

Thanks for the help /an/.
>>
Anyone have some good dog food recipes to make at home? I'm sceptical of the stuff from the super market. I'm thinking of making a large pot to last one whole week or so. 2 meals a day for a 25 kg dog.

Share your experiences with this if ya have any.
>>
what is the best trick to make my dog eat slower? i tried those fancy slow-feed bowl and my pulp just flipped it over.

im quite sure my dog isn't hungry and he is just a real big bad glutton.
>>
>>2456718
Be a bro. Expect your soul to be ripped out
>>
>>2462034
Scatter it all over the floor

Messy but there's nothing he can flip over
>>
>>2461869
1/10 bait
>>
>>2461869
lol hahahaha if this is real... dude. Stop buying into the dominance theory bullshit. Dogs aren't like that. You're just torturing the dog and making him resent you
>>
>>2461369
I'm transitioning right now but I have the wetlands one. My dog is already sick before the switch so I can't tell ya right away.
>>2461383
F I wish someone would put me down when i'm in pain and out of it.
>>2461455
If it's found by a shelter/vet, he'll get back to you. Just make sure your microchip info is all updated; they can't contact you if your number is wrong.
>>2461761
>But anon those are the best kind of dogs
Maybe not for anon whose dog seems to have chosen his mother. But I concur those are my favorite, those and dogs so aloof you wouldn't think they had an owner.
>>2461869
There were a lot of things done wrong here. First you ignored a dog's warning signals and further antagonized him when what you should have done was brought him to a calm state, maybe away from what he was going crazy over or just back inside. If your dog always acts nuts on walks, you need to learn how to train your dog to walk on a leash. Second, you punished the dog for giving you a warning. This is counter-productive as it teaches the dog to skip the warning entirely as it will be punished for it. Your method of punishment obviously doesn't work because your dog bit you, so you will have to find another way to train. Forcefully taking a dog down makes them stressed and scared, which now gives him even more incentive to bite you. I understand having to take a dog and body slam it when needed, but the next step should be to have the dog shot by police or taken by animal control. You most certainly overreacted. Also, punishment so long after the unwanted behavior would not get through to your dog, only confuse and scare it further. It was obviously misplaced anger. That's only in the first paragraph, someone else can handle the rest of this bait but I can't be bothered with it.
>>2461875
Is it for snacks/treats or meant to be as a meal? I know a ton of dumb snacks/treats. Mostly from magazines people give me.
>>
>>2462034
I'm assuming tennis balls don't work either? Try putting it in a kong. Or, turn meal times into training times and use his food for training.
>>
>>2461731
Well I don't plan on owning other pets and I live alone, but I don't want him running after other dogs when we're walking or something. Is socializing just taking your dog places?
>>
I live on 4 acres and the closest neighbor is about half a mile away, what are good breeds that are fine in wide open areas? It also snows here, but gets hot in the summer
>>
>>2462157
That's a big part of it, yes. If you search for a "puppy socialization checklist" you can find a comprehensive list of things you want to get a dog used to in order to minimize risk of fear/aggressive responses to stimuli. Essentially you want the dog to get used to interacting with other dogs and a variety of people and to get used to different environments.
>>
>>2462176
Yeah I read about that, but I live in the country side so I don't know if I can get him to meet that many other dogs. There are no dog parks or dog day care around here. I know at least 1 guy with a small-ish dog and another guy with a bunch of huskies.
>>
>>2462181
Eh, then I'm sure he'll be fine. It's more of an issue when you have a dog that's regularly in contact with strangers/other dogs. It couldn't hurt to invite friends over so he gets to interact with people on his own turf. I have a Shar Pei and theyre prone to being dog aggressive and aloof to strangers, but she loves everyone. Just work with the dog and understand his behavior and body language.

I'm sure he'll be happy to have a lot of land to roam.
>>
File: CEREAL CUP.jpg (4KB, 139x120px) Image search: [Google]
CEREAL CUP.jpg
4KB, 139x120px
>>2462142
"bait" guy here. Have to admit it's the first dog I had in my life, and yes I did buy into that whole dominance approach that's all around the web. What do suggest instead? To be perfectly honest he's a good and loving little guy so this happening was quite a surprise. I'll be careful from now on the his warning signs. People told me I shouldn't even allow him to growl at me, ever.
>>
File: Snapchat-458287857.jpg (715KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-458287857.jpg
715KB, 1440x2560px
My 4 year old doggo
>>
Ok guys, i have a big problem.
The beaviour of my dog is mostly perfect but he has a problem with the sleep.
I have him since a Week and every single night, when i isolate him to me to sleep he just goes full retard and start to bark and he stops only when he sees me.
What the hell is wrong with this guy?
Could it be separation anxiety? How do i fix the doggo without him bluescreening and spamming errors whenever i leave?
>>
>>2461369
>>2461815
Poor doggo

My Golden has been on it for the last few years with no issue. Did know there were problems.
>>
>>2462186
desu sounds like he was super excited when you take him out. Unless you really need him not to pull at all then don't even worry about it desu, he isn't trying to dominate you or disrespect you he's just super excited. You can teach him to heel constantly with positive reinforcement. But honestly walking a dog and not letting them sniff around and shit takes away a lot for them.

If he's growling at you then you irritated him pretty bad desu, if he growls at you during training to do stuff then you should take it slower

With the contrast between you and your parent's treatment he's probably confused as fuck tho.

But seriously, pulling and being super hype when you take him out is normal, he isn't trying to dominate you or anything. Just excited. Also licking you, pawing at you or rubbing his muzzle against you isn't, most of this is just to get your attention. Like if you dog walks up to you relaxed and puts his muzzle against your hand or between your legs just to get attention from you, that's like the epitome of his expression of love, trust and respect. Licking/pawing can be the same thing or asking you to take him out or something cuz he needs to shit, or w/e.
>>
>>2462247
Just let him sleep with you dogs are the best pillows
>>
>>2460355
hey , what breed is that?
>>
File: 2017-08-23-01-56-47.jpg (177KB, 828x922px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-23-01-56-47.jpg
177KB, 828x922px
Yip
>>
>>2462466
*primal autism enabled*
*chomps your face*
>>
>>2461869
Anon, your dog bit you because you hit him. Jerking him back to your side made him growl because it didn't feel good and he wanted you to stop. Hitting him in response to him growling only made him feel more threatened, so he lashed out and bit you. Your fault

>pin him. . .until he calmed down
He didn't "calm down" he "shut down." I'm not saying you shouldn't have restrained him when he bit you, but you need to understand that he wasn't calm, he was afraid/shut down. So unless you HAVE to do this to protect yourself or others, don't, because it will only make him distrust you further and more likely to lash out again

Don't let kids hug your dog or get in his face. This is common sense and even the gentlest, kindest dog can eventually lose their patience and snap at a kid if they feel like they don't have another option to make them stop

I wouldn't worry about the "light bite" to your hand while separating the dogs--when a dog is in fight-mode, aggression can redirect to anything nearby that touches them. He didn't think about it, he just reacted, and when he realized it was you and not the dog he was fighting, he stopped. Getting bit separating dog fights is just a risk you have to take if you decide to try and do that. You were right not to punish him, and it was good to warn the kid that his behavior was unacceptable

You need to understand that growling, in and of itself, is NOT a problem. It's communication. Do not ever punish your dog for growling. If you punish him for growling, you might be able to suppress growling, but not change his emotional response to whatever he originally would growl at--in other words, you will end up with a dog that skips a growl when he's upset or afraid and goes straight to a bite. You do not want this. Let your dog talk to you. Do not punish a growl. Instead, figure out WHY he growled (what made him feel threatened?) and work to change his emotional response to that thing
>>
(>>2462478 here)
>>2462186
The other anon who gave you advice is correct. The "dominance theory" is misleading bullshit and not really relevant to dog training. Once you stop viewing interactions with your dog as a constant power struggle or him trying to "challenge" or "dominate" you, you will have a much better relationship with him. I'm really glad you're open to other suggestions because the dominance stuff is all nonsense, and viewing dog behavior through that lens is inaccurate and hinders your ability to understand each other

From your first post, it sounds like your dog has a "growling problem" because he is insecure and you act like a bully towards him, so he is scared when things get tense. Once you understand that him growling or biting is out of fear rather than some "challenge" to you, you can work on fixing things so the dog doesn't have to feel threatened and defensive

Instead of the "dominance approach," what you want to do is focus on positive reinforcement instead of punishment. Teach your dog what the RIGHT thing to do is (and motivate him to do it--teach him that the right things are rewarding to him and will allow him access to what he wants) rather than trying to punish him for "wrong" things. It's a lot easier for him to learn what TO do instead of what NOT to do. Set him up for success so you can reward good behavior. Don't set him up for failure and punish him for it; that isn't fair, nor is it productive

For more specific "how tos," check out kikopup's channel on youtube. She has a ton of good videos on training dogs using positive reinforcement, and he does a good job of explaining everything. She has some great videos on how to teach loose-leash walking (while still allowing the dog to stop and sniff when you let him.) Highly recommend those if your dog gets overexcited on walks.

Try not to get mad at your dog. All he wants is to have fun, eat food, be with his family, and feel safe. He doesn't care about "dominating" anyone.
>>
>>2462451
This is not a problem, but i want to teach him that sometimes he has to live alone in the house for some hours without letting everyone know.
Now i am at my parents house but at the end of holydays i'll go back to my apartment in a block. Here he can barks, we live alone in the wood, but in my block i'll probably get fined in 0 seconds.
I am now training him to understand sometimes this is normal closing the doors and leaving him alone (He is calm as fuck today) and when i go back (30/20 min) i do not pet him when he jumps around and is happy but i wait until he calms down and then i pet him. I want him to understand that through "being messy" he isn't gonna get shit.
Am i doing something bad?
>>
>>2462142
Not snacks. Full meals
>>
>>2458269
>holy fuck I love being white
>>
File: 20170821_143222.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_143222.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Just wanted to share a picture of Maple I took during totality of the solar eclipse on Monday. It was an amazing experience.
>>
My dog just got attacked by a shit bull and a boxer. I think his coat kept it from being a lot worse but what are some fear related behaviors I should watch out for

Called animal control to hopefully put both down.
>>
File: CEREAL THUMBS UP.jpg (4KB, 151x120px) Image search: [Google]
CEREAL THUMBS UP.jpg
4KB, 151x120px
>>2462353
>>2462493
Cheers guys, thanks for the advice. I always treated him with lots of love but when I thought discipline was needed I didn't think twice before trying to correct a bad behavior. I'll try a different approach now.
>>
>>2462629
We're at the vets right now. I feel so shit for him. His rear is cut up badly
>>
I'm looking to buy an Eskie from a breeder, but I have had no experience before buying from a breeder or owning a dog. I'm very nervous talking to the breeders cause I have no idea what to ask. So far what I know i'll ask is:

-May we visit the kennel to see the parents on site?

-How much does a puppy cost and what's the payment method?

I don't know any other terms like AKC or certificates or what to look for. I understand what a Health Guarntee is, but I'm not sure if I should ask for a history of health paper or any other papers.

Has anyone bought a pup from a breeder before and felt as awkward and nervous as I did?
>>
>>2462824

Can dogs be given rabies prevention medicine/shots? Just in case those two shit dogs have disease.
>>
File: 1415808740368.gif (1014KB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
1415808740368.gif
1014KB, 360x203px
Hello /an/.

I hope I'm in the right board and the right thread for this kind of animal related advice.

My wife and I love dogs. We even bought a house with a yard so that our dog could go out and do battle with the squirrels. We also wanted to try to give other dogs another shot at a better life, and became fosters for a rescue. We fostered a high-energy border collie mix, fully housetrained, loves to play, always wants and needs attention, and seems to get along ok with dogs and cats. Leash Trained, crate trained, perfect dog. The idea was we would foster her and double down efforts to get her adopted. I run with her every day several miles, play frisbee at lunch, keep her occupied and happy. She was at the rescue because she was abused, but she's trusting people again.

However, I just got the wife pregnant, and the nausea resulting from it has wiped her out, so I've lost my other half in this effort of getting her adopted AND taking care of our loyal dog. I take the dog we are trying to foster out to parks, meet ups, walks, cities, dog bars, you name it, hand out flyers, everything. I've gotten a few interested parties, but no committals. I don't want to abandon this dog, she deserves a second chance, but I'm nearly overwhelmed where I was doing ok before when the wife wasn't drained.

Have you guys been fosters? Do you have any tricks that will help me speed the adoption process? I also fear that she is growing too attached to us, and I don't want to lose all the progress made to get her to realize she can trust people if I just up and abandon her, as then she'll never be adoptable.

What do, /an/?
>>
>>2461869
Depending on his size and your strength, you may be able to break the behavior quickly.

Obviously growling outside of play (think tug of war) is right out. The MOMENT it happens, you pin and make it clear its not going to continue.
For biting, if you're not dealing with a big dog or a really strong one, how I have taught every dog that biting is a terrible idea is the moment it happens, I grab the entire lower jaw, palm of hand on the tounge, fingers wrapped around the rest of the jaw, and squeeze with gradual increasing pressure until the dog submits. Don't break their jaw, numbnuts, but as they aren't designed to take this type of pressure or tactic, they try everything they can to spit your hand out. Works great on puppies and young dogs. It's a good idea to have a pair of leather/kevlar gloves for this, and its a really dumb idea if you've got a dog who is/can bite hard enough to break your hand, but I've found with the ten or so dogs I've had to do this with it freaks them out and they curb their biting real quick.
>>
File: e98.jpg (5KB, 212x249px) Image search: [Google]
e98.jpg
5KB, 212x249px
>>2461369

I am this guy >>2458457

>Has anyone had issues with Taste of the Wild?

Yes, but not on the level of those "this food made my dog explode" comments.

So far I have tried all the flavors available in my country: Sierra (lamb), Pacific Stream (Salmon), Wetlands (Duck). All of them give me the same problem, my dog eats his own shit. This is getting on my nerves I can't deal with this anymore.

I am sorry /an/ I have failed you, but I will have to fallback to my commercial shit food (Royal Canin). I don't have the knowledge to make him a BARF diet and don't to fuck up his nutrition so I am going for the safe route.

Also, if you guys could help me, between Royal and Purina Pro Plan which is better? I know they are both low quality overpriced kibble but this is the best I can give to my mini Schnauzer right now.
>>
>>2462886
Honestly, I would go to a vet before deciding on a food.
Mini schnauzers are prone to a ton of different digestive disorders. If he has pancreatitis, the higher fat in ToTW would keep him from digesting properly.
>>
>>2462902
Interesting because my veterinary recommend me the royal canin gastrointestinal vet diet. I was the one who wanted to try something fancier. Well I guess I know what to do now.
>>
>>2462922
You don't have to stay on a vet-brand food, but knowing the specific disorder will help you pick out a quality food he can digest easily.
>>
>>2462857
He's done with his visit. Poor boy is just out of it right now. We carried him to the car and to my bed. I'm at a clinic for me right now. I have some punctures on my wrist and behind my knee.
>>2462886
I exchanged the bag for Victor Hero Canine. If you can, try their brands.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_231728.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_231728.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
I found this gal 2 months ago in the street(6 months old now), do you think she has a breed of some sort? 8 kilograms of pure bird and cat hater.
>>
>>2461369
Not personally. My dogs have eaten it fine as part of a rotation of food for a long time. Because one of the dogs will only eat if he's presented with a "novelty" food each time, I can't feed them the same thing twice in a row, so it will often be one of the TOTW varities for breakfast, then BlackHawk, Wishbone, Nurtrience, Addiction, Barking Heads, or Go! for dinner, one of the other rotation foods for the next breakfast, and the TOTW again at the next dinner.
>>
>>2462947
Some kind of beagle mutt probably

Very good girl though
>>
>>2462947
Some sort of beagle/terrier mutt

She's gonna live forever, enjoy your new best friend
>>
How much do dogs cost in the long run?

I'm trying to calculate my expenses for the next 10 years. A dog from a breeder costs $1,800 so that's the base.
>>
File: PSX_20170823_173046.jpg (1MB, 2620x4656px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20170823_173046.jpg
1MB, 2620x4656px
Here's my pup
>>
>>2463074
Biggest cost is food, depends on size of dog, the type of food

Trying to hammer out a budget for a decade in advance is going to have insane variance because of surprises and unplanned expences
>>
>waking dog
>takes normal shit
>walk more
>squats again
>normal shit mixed with diaherria and really watery shit
>continues like absolutely fucking nothing just happened
The fuck should I do
>>
>>2463083
I get hershey squirts sometimes, nothing to worry about unless it lasts for 5+ days
>>
>>2462832
Expect to be put on a waiting list if the breeder is reputable. Also expect to fill out a questionnaire with information about you and what sort of dog you're be looking for and if you have preference for the sex. The breeder will pick the dog they think suits you best. But, again, this may be several months from now.

Asking to meet the parents is good. Asking for health screenings/bills is good. Ask for a contract of sale. Ask about training/treat tips that this breeder recommends. Don't be afraid to ask to handle the puppies or to ask to see the whole litter.
>>
>>2462806
Glad to hear it! It sounds like you love your dog and want what's best for him. Good luck on his training!

(Probably goes without saying, but... Do not do this: >>2462883)

>>2462886
Hey man, do you have a Costco in your area? If you're looking for a low-cost kibble that's really good, their Kirkland Signature dog food is a very decent food and it's quite cheap (less than $30 for a 40 pound bag) in comparison to many other similar higher quality foods. It's not top-tier food, but it's definitely good, especially if you're on a budget. I recommend giving it a try, if you can.

>>2462947
She's a cutie! I think she's definitely a mutt and it's hard to say what breeds she might have in her, but some sort of hound (beagle, etc.) is likely, and maybe some kind of terrier or collie breed too.
>>
>>2463298
>>2462936
I just did some research and there is another grain free kibble in my country from a brand called Nutram.

Do you guys think they are also a quality alternative to the commercial brands that is worth trying?
>>
>>2462526
Any help guys?
>>
File: c85.gif (1MB, 670x552px) Image search: [Google]
c85.gif
1MB, 670x552px
>Go to work today
>Guy I work with starts speaking to me
>I know this guys a furry, iv seen what he looks at on his phone
>Says to me today hes gonna get a female husky
>mfw
>>
File: IMG_20170728_111038.jpg (219KB, 759x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_111038.jpg
219KB, 759x960px
>>2462936
He spent all of yesterday like a bump on a log. He barely stood because of the anesthesia.

He's pretty tired right now but was happy to go into the backyard earlier. He wouldn't eat his kibble unless it was mushy yesterday

I gave him an antibiotic and will give him his pain meds in the afternoon.

I've posted this pic before, but here he is before being mauled by shit dogs. Animal control was very helpful since they bit me as well.
>>
>>2463399
You do know that 99.8% of furries don't actually want to fuck dogs right?
>>
>>2463743
like 20% of furries fuck dogs. more than .2% fucked a dog this month
>>
File: 1498164849455.jpg (82KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1498164849455.jpg
82KB, 719x719px
I've spent about 400$ at the Vet, and nothing I do helps, and I'm pretty sure my 11 y/o Akita is at the end of his rope guys.

Should I have him put down in the comfort of my home?
I've never lost a pet before, he's my best friend, everything hurts, how do you deal with this?
>>
>>2463802
What's wrong with him?

I'd say yes since it sounds like he's suffering. As for dealing with it, I don't know what to really say. My childhood cat died when I was 18 and I was despondent for a few days. Winter still sucks because I don't have him to cuddle under the blanket. Shit, we changed the old tree skirt last year and all I could think was about was him sleeping under the old one. It was years before I could get another pet

Spoil him rotten with junk in his last days, make sure you have photos to remember him by, and play in whatever capacity he can.
>>
File: 1482731730371.png (458KB, 633x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482731730371.png
458KB, 633x900px
>>2463812
His eyelids are drooping horribly, he's being extremely lethargic, and he's drooling uncontrollably. He's eating decently if it's soft food, but he just slobbers into his water bowl and doesn't really get any water. He can't eat any of his solid treats unless I break them into really small pieces.

I had blood tests done, which weren't conclusive towards anything, so now he's on some antibiotics, a steroid, and some eyedrops to see if it helps. He looks miserable and I can't stand to see him in this state. I'm giving it 10 days on the meds to see if he improves at all, and if he doesn't, the cause is probably a tumor or cancer.
>>
File: 20170824_194737.jpg (3MB, 1801x2308px) Image search: [Google]
20170824_194737.jpg
3MB, 1801x2308px
Does your dog hunt animals in your backyard. Mine has an unnatural fetish for lizards. Today she chased one into a hole and spent almost 2 hours sitting there just staring at it. (Ignore the shit I picked it up later on)
>>
File: 1494457627003.jpg (156KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1494457627003.jpg
156KB, 960x960px
dug
>>
>>2463399
The husky won't put up with his shit and will hopefully bite his dick off
>>
File: IMG_20170820_232513.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_232513.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I have a boxer that came into our lives a year ago and we've just let him be his own dog and do as he pleases because his temperament and behavior is pretty much perfect.

One of the only issue that I have is that he will bring a toy up to me but never drop it, instead wanting me to chase him which I usually oblige. Is this an okay behavior for him to be doing? If so I'm okay with it, but I'd love to learn how to train him to drop it so I don't always have to go on the chase.

The big issue that I want to learn to fix is when we go to off leash parks he will do the same thing and be impossible to catch, and if he has his ball he won't listen to his recall commands which is a hassle. How do I go about training this out of him?

I'm also looking for any books on training and behavior. I want to give my dog the best life he can have with all of the attention training and whatever other shit he needs but I realize that I don't know the right way to go about it
>>
>>2464087
He likes being chased so he won't drop it. There's nothing wrong with it unless you have a problem with it.

If you want him to change you have to stop chasing him, that's a positive association for him. You have to make dropping it more positive than keeping it and making you chase if you really want him to stop.

Training him to do arbitrary anthropomorphic tricks won't magically make him happier or give him a better life unless that's what you need to be motivated to give him love or attention which it sounds like you do without that just fine. Training is simple for most stuff, just repeat processes in increments and give a treat or pet him how he likes afterwards to make him associate doing it with the treat or petting. But he isn't actually doing tricks because he likes doing tricks, he's doing them for the treat after.
>>
>>2462857
There's a rabies vaccine but it needs two weeks to become very effective, it doesn't work after the dog contracted rabies. If your dog isn't UTD on it's rabies shot it should be in a 10 day quarantine, meaning it should not leave your property except for vet visits. Those other dogs will be doing the same thing. Also get your dog updated after this (assuming it doesn't die), it's very important.
>>2462832
>I'm not sure if I should
You should. Do some research on this breed that you'll likely spend 10 or more years with. Look into what health issues these dogs have and what kind of health checks can be done, what is genetic etc. Then ask the breeder if they can provide proof of health checks, and ask if they know of any of their dogs getting hereditary issues. Of a breeder only has a health guarantee for a year, drop it. Most dogs aren't even done growing in a year, hell even puppy mill dogs don't display genetic issues in one year. Look at the breeders website and see what kind of activities they are involved in. Confirmation should be one (does not have to be akc) because confirmation is really just a show to see which animals are the best breeding quality. but they should be involved in at least one other thing besides confirmation; agility, obedience, it doesn't matter really (unless you're specifically looking for a dog that may be good at a certain sport) as long as it shows the breeding dog is capable of doing something besides looking pretty. You may want to see if you can email them first just because of the insane amount of questions you will have to ask. A good breeder will also be asking you a ton of questions. ask to see their contract (they should have some sort of contract) to make sure you are ok with signing it. It will probably have some dumb shit on it but keep in mind a good breeder really cares about the pups they are bringing in to the world and just want to make sure they are well cared for.
>>
>>2464197
He had his vaccinations in March and needs to go to the vet next week (assuming Harvey doesn't fuck it over) to remove stitches. Are you saying he should have it again? I'll ask the vet when I'm there.
>>
>>2464087
>Is this an okay behavior for him to be doing?
That's completely up to you! If you don't mind it, there's no problem with it.

That said, if you want for him to be able to drop it when you tell him to, you'll have to train him to do so and not give in to the chase (or else you're rewarding him for NOT dropping it.) Dropping the toy when asked needs to be rewarding for him and result in fun. Once he has a solid history with "drop it" you can let him lead you on a chase when you feel like it, and have him drop the toy when you don't
>>
>>2464764
>>2464096
Thanks for the responses! I don't have a problem with it outside of me wanting to be lazy and not have to chase him but it makes him so happy and we always have so much fun that I guess I'll be the one changing lol
>>
>>2464776
Sounds good to me. As long as you're both having fun, and you're ok with it, it's all good.
>>
How often do you give your dog rawhide stuff and bone stuff? I just got a dog and she seems to love the shit. I don't give her rawhides but she loves bully sticks and duck sticks etc. I don't want to feed her too much though, once a day seems excessive.
>>
Is there any good chinese website to buy cheap chinkshit for my doggo?
>>
>Don't want to buy from a breeder would much rather adopt
>Don't want a neutered dog

how to avoid this??
>>
>>2464962
Why would you rather adopt and why don't you want a neutered dog?
>>
File: IMG_20170820_141456.jpg (1MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_141456.jpg
1MB, 4096x3072px
>>2464969
Not him, but I always felt quite weird about dog sales and all. Besides, many breeders don't treat their dogs really well.

>>2464962
Have a friend who has a good girl who just had puppers give you or sell you one. I got mine (pic related) from a friend of a friend of a friend, non-neutered and for free

Sorry for phoneposting btw
>>
>>2464962
Buy from a breeder
>>
>>2459635
I was told that Rhodesian ridgebacks weren't good "first" dogs. Although I was raised with mastiffs, Rottweilers, and other large dogs, I didn't buy into the "BEWARE!!!" Sign.

My dog is well adjusted, completely respects me and listens to my commands. Only issue I have is his dislike for coloreds and very specific dogs. Those aren't a big deal for me though.

What it took was an unrelenting commitment to being with the dog. He just turned a year and I am just leaving him in the kennel to go and do stuff. Before? I would study at home, not go to the gym, or wait for someone else to be home to keep an eye on him. He's kennel broken, I just don't like to lock him up all day
>>
>>2464962
get a puppy that was too young to neuter from a rescue and then change your phone number and mailing address.

they're not the cops. they're not gonna do a locate on you. they'll try to call your phone number to bug the shit out of you a few times and then they'll move on. some rescues will be more persistent than others but in the end none are gonna come after you.

also, neuter your fucking dog when they're an adult.
>>
>>2465040
>Rhodesian
>wary of coloured

Just as expected
>>
>>2465068
there is a colored man near by me who says all kinds of goofy shit at my dog

>"Imma call the NAACP on your racist ass dog"

He doesnt even bark at coloreds, he just doesnt let them get close.
>>
>>2465070
Well, most of our modern breeds were raised by Europeans, and I've heard they have some similar cranial structures with whites which helps them forming bonds with us. The Africans don't share that feature, and therefore need more effort to befriend a dog.
>>
>>2465058

all meet you halfsies with a vasectomy
>>
File: rust.gif (569KB, 500x249px) Image search: [Google]
rust.gif
569KB, 500x249px
>>2465077

>dogs have similar cranial structure with Whites

Well look what we have here boys, a clever nigger.
>>
>>2465101
Not similar cranial structure as a whole, but a few parts are quite similar
>>
>dog normally scratches the bottom of his crate panel to keep his nails dull
>bought him a fancy dog bed to put inside his crate
>He loves
Will he find somewhere else to scratch his nails?

I was also thinking of getting him a harness around christmas time now that he is about to be old enough to do heavy exercise. What does /an/ recommend?

Was considering the Nome Harness X Back Style, unless someone knows something better.
>>
>>2464898
>once a day seems excessive
Nah. As long as she doesn't get the protein shits from it, you can give her a chew like that every day with no problem.
>>
>>2464962
Hmm, if you're ok with it, go on Craigslist and wait for someone giving away free puppies or something. Often times people whose dog accidentally got pregnant or something will list puppies up on Craigslist either for free, or for a small rehoming fee. Obviously there's no guarantee of the health/temperament of these puppies, but these are pretty much the dogs that end up in shelters anyways, so there's no difference there.

>>2464969
>why don't you want a neutered dog?
Neutering (male) dogs comes with just as many (if not more) health risks than leaving them intact, especially if they are neutered at a young age. Pediatric spay/neuter isn't good for them, but most shelters/rescues will spay or neuter dogs as early as 8 weeks old just to prevent overpopulation.

Weighing the health benefits and risks of spay/neuter isn't a clear cut thing and it's a very personal decision so I understand if anon doesn't want to neuter. As long as he can manage the dog (to prevent unwanted breedings,) I don't see an issue with it.

>>2465237
I like the Ruffwear Frontrange for a simple, nice harness. Ruffwear also offers a few different harnesses that are a bit more expensive, if you're ok with spending more.
>>
File: 1450152574397.gif (430KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1450152574397.gif
430KB, 200x200px
>>2463443
i hope your dog gets better
>>
>>2464940
Is a dollar store too expensive for you?
>>
>>2465058
That's retarded because they will get the cops involved. You think someone is just going to let that slide, stealing a baby animal? When you foster a dog from an organization, you sign a legally binding contract. It's mainly to keep them from being liable of damages but also to make sure you understand their conditions. If some weirdo comes by, takes a puppy and never talks to them again they will get the police involved if for nothing else to make sure you aren't doing some fucked up shit to the dog. Most fosters get to adopt their dog for free so if someone did that to me I'd assume they were either fucking the dog or abusing it for entertainment. OP will most definitely be put on a blacklist for adoptions.

>>2464962
If you want to adopt, there are many breeds that don't do well under anesthesia and individual dogs who can't have operations. Unfortunately most shelters do fix because almost all have the same position statement to end animal overpopulation, and fixing is a sure way and a cheap way to do that. How would you feel about getting a female spayed dog? Alternatively go to the south and just grab a puppy you find on the street. Houston will be having a ton running around once the water level decreases
>>
>>2465237
That harnesss is for mushing. I don't know if it makes a difference but just so you know.

I'll second Ruffwear. It's a good brand.
>>
>>2465697
>once the water level decreases
Try a ton year-round, though it's mostly older dogs. I guess the puppies get scooped up quickly or just become road pizza.
>>
File: bo3nb7xfjaiz.jpg (57KB, 579x635px) Image search: [Google]
bo3nb7xfjaiz.jpg
57KB, 579x635px
Old as sin but still makes me feel good
>>
>>2465697
No one said to foster the dog and steal you moron. Adopting is not the same as fostering. Most adoptions have you pay a fee and sign a "contract" saying you'll neuter the dog in x months. It isn't stealing. You paid for the dog. The contract doesn't outline "consequences" for not neutering the dog other than not getting a small deposit back. You're an idiot.
>>
>>2465085
Slightly more acceptable but you'll still be at risk for a nasty bone cancer iirc.
>>
Do we need a new thread?
>>
>>2465687
There aren't any of those where I live at, that's why I want cheap chinkshit.
>>
>>2455957
Hello lads, do you have any tip for a dog I can get, that doesn't need too many/too long walks?

I'm thinking 5 minutes morning shit piss, and a longer walk when I get home from work.
>>
>>2466158
A very old dog/a cat
>>
File: _20170827_220141.jpg (1MB, 3245x2931px) Image search: [Google]
_20170827_220141.jpg
1MB, 3245x2931px
This is Chloe, I found her like a month ago crying and alone in the street. Any idea about her breed? She's like 3 months old judging by her baby teeth.
>>
File: 1503525097273.jpg (193KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
1503525097273.jpg
193KB, 750x563px
Whenever I try to give my puppy a treat for doing a command, he tends to lunge for the treat.

This has become a problem not only because of itself but because I can't get him to go from a lay down up into a sitting position-instead of following the treat he just jumps up and lunges for it.
I try to move him up back into a sitting position to try to help him to get it but he doesn't understand. Any advice?
>>
File: DHjDNbdXkAARxXw.jpg (45KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
DHjDNbdXkAARxXw.jpg
45KB, 700x525px
pls post dogs like this
>>
>>2466677
When I had this problem with my woofer, I'd close my hand and retreat it, and just told her the command again. Eventually she catched on to it, and stopped lunging for the treat
>>
File: takakazu-abe-01.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
takakazu-abe-01.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: takakazu-abe-02.jpg (78KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
takakazu-abe-02.jpg
78KB, 500x667px
>>
My dog is 5 years old and hates other dogs, is it too late to change that?
>>
>>2467149
some dogs hate dogs, some people hate people
>>
>>2466677
When puppy lunges for the food, pull your hand back/close your hand so he cannot get to the food. Only allow him to eat it if he doesn't lunge and takes it nicely.

For the down-to-sit, you can use this closing your hand technique to make sure he can't grab the food. As soon as he's in the down position (lure him and reward him in position,) lure the sit, but don't move your hand forward away from his nose so he tries to jump or lunge; keep your hand right in front of him and slowly lure up for the sit. He will likely be trying to lick your hand (trying to get the treat) as you do this. That's ok. He will figure out that he can't get the treat until you give it to him.

Also, you can teach him to follow your hand (without a treat in it) for luring too. Do this by at first using a food lure, then only pretending to have food in your hand, rewarding him (from your other hand) once you've successfully lured whatever behavior you were trying to get him to do. Once he understands how to follow a hand lure with no food in it, he won't be trying to lunge for the luring hand.
>>
I have a 2 month old Shiba and she will not stopped biting me. Every time I touch she nips at me. She always tries to bite my hair. Is this just a puppy thing, or do I have to train her to stop?
>>
>>2467895
>Is this just a puppy thing
Yes
>do I have to train her to stop?
Yes

Redirect her to appropriate chewing objects when she nips you. Withdraw attention from her when she nips if that doesn't help. Just be consistent and she'll figure out that biting you/your clothes isn't rewarding.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 86

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.