[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pets for an Apartment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

Sup /an/, need some advice. My wife and I finally got our own apartment after living with her parents for a year due to severe financial hardship. Our finances are now in order and our debt is gone, and I really miss having a pet. We had a cat in our previous apartment but had to give him up when we lost it.

We've got a 500 sqft studio. A cat is out of the question since there is nowhere we could put a box without it stinking up the entire apartment. A dog is also probably unrealistic because both of us work full time. I'm interested in birds but my understanding is its not healthy for them to be alone for long periods of time (i.e. while we're working).

Any suggestions? Also, "I don't think you guys can/should have a pet in that situation" is a perfectly acceptable suggestion.

Pic unrelated.
>>
I don't think you guys can/should have a pet in that situation
>>
get a pair of chinchillas or something
>>
>>2454447
you don't need a pet, you need a houseplant. start a windowsill garden. little tomatoes, herbs, etc.
>>
Fish are the only pet I would recommend to someone in your situation. Please don't get anything else, it won't be a good fit.
>>
> I'm interested in birds but my understanding is its not healthy for them to be alone for long periods of time

This is not true for all birds. Having a conure or something wouldn't be great but somerhing like lovebirds or finches or doves would be perfectly fine with you working full time. A lot of apartments won't allow birds though, so keep that in mind if you plan on moving in the near future.
Any interest in reptiles or rodents?
>>
>>2454484
>>2454486
I won't get anything that I won't be able to provide full quality of life to. If that means no pets for the next year or so intil we get a bigger place, then I won't get anything.
>>2454487
>Any interest in reptiles or rodents?
I'm open to anything that isn't a spider.
>>
>>2454486
>>2454488
I second fish. However they're not exactly the most interactive pet.
>>
>>2454488
There's plenty of animal that could work, but realistically, how much time per day, every day would you be willing to spend on care and maintenance?
>>
For rodents, I would say to look into:
Hamster (make sure you can hold and interact with the one you get. Some can be assholes)
Pair of gerbils (fun to watch but not going to just chill in your lap)
Mice (smart, fun to watch, smell)
You Don't have much space, so I wouldn't recommend rats, chinchillas, or guinea pigs.

Reptiles:
Leopard gecko
Crested gecko
Emperor scorpion (very low maintenance, not as handlable)
Corn snake (if you don't mind feeding them)
>>
Maybe a pair of rabbits?
They are easily litterbox trained and their waste doesn't really smell.
You could let them free roam the apartment with just a little bit of work rabbit proofing it.
And they'd keep eachother company.
>>
>>2454550
Not enough space. Permanent free roaming is just asking for something to go wrong.
>>
Get a cat and clean it's litter box everyday. Do you shit in your tiny bathroom or are you afraid it will stink up the whole apartment?
>>
Blue tongue skink is my personal recommendation, mostly because they are chill with being held if you start slowly. And their diets aren't that demanding.
>>
>>2454568
Holy shit- keep the litterbox IN the bathroom- clean it every time you're in there and notice something :3

Problem solved!
>>
>>2454579
They're expensive and require a large enclosure.
>>
>>2454552
Even in a rabbit proofed bedroom or something?
>>
>>2454568
I flush after I shit. The cat would be shitting in the box all day, so we'd be coming home to a small studio (no "rooms", its just one big ass space) thats been marinading in cat shit all day.
>>2454599
No room. Bathroom is tiny as fuck.
>>
>>2454447
Get a fish
>>
Just get a cat and one of those little window exhaust fans. I keep big snakes which are 10,000 tiers above cats in terms of shit smell, and can confirm they work magically.
>>
File: two options.jpg (119KB, 1052x503px) Image search: [Google]
two options.jpg
119KB, 1052x503px
>>
File: The_Newts.gif (431KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
The_Newts.gif
431KB, 250x200px
Newts
>>
>>2454568
>get a cat

Opinion discarded
>>
>>2454447
A bird is like the most care intensive pet you could get. Too many get abandoned after they develop an attachment to their owner and they literally become depressed and pull their own feathers out. Don't get a bird unless you can give it as much care as you would your own baby.
>>
>>2454532
I'm going to second gerbils. Most active during the day, won't keep you or neighbors awake at night. Can be kept in a diy bin cage. They don't drink a lot which means they won't pee a lot which means they won't smell a lot. Don't require a lot of maintenance, just daily feeding, check water and clean cage once a week. They are active, fun to watch, and can be handled a little bit although I advise handling be done in the cage until you're comfortable with the animal not getting away. Just make sure you're getting a female pair and not opposite sex pair
>>
Why don't you guys just have a child instead?
>>
I'm very confused at the weirdos in this thread saying that you shouldn't have a pet if you have an apartment. I have a 700 sq foot apartment and I plan on getting a dog next year. I know people who work full time and have dogs + cats and apartments and take great care of them, give them exercise, socialization. Who cares it they have a small space? Their pets are stimulated well enough and that's all that matters.
>>
>>2455612
It's just /an/ being /an/, where you are only allowed to own an animal if you are independently wealthy with several acres of fenced in land.
>>
>>2455237
Because children are fucking disgusting
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.