[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most difficult dogs to own?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2492.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2492.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
ITT: we try to form a list of the most difficult dog breeds to own.
Difficulty will be based on the following criteria:
Trainability
Mentality
Canine Good Citizenship
Upkeep (difficulty to care for)

Feel free to add more categories as you see fit.

pic very unrelated
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 517x284px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 517x284px
I nominate Canaans for their difficult mentality.
>>
care to elaborate anon?
Ever owned one? share your experiences.
I've never owned a Husky but I hear they are notorious too.
>>
>>2454025
I've never owned one. What about their mentality is difficult?

>>2454028
I live in Texas and have been searching for a puppy. I am shocked at how many huskies I see posted online. It seems irresponsible to own one in such a hot climate. But what about them is notorious?
>>
>>2454030
1) Trainability: Huskies are independent and intelligent. Dogs with these traits are harder to train.
2) Upkeep: They shed a lot apparently and should not br subjected to hot and humid environment. They also get dirty faster because of their fur.
3) Howl a lot
>>
>>2454035
Independent? I figured huskies would be a pack-animal.
>>
>>2454035
also they're bad with Cats/ small animals. They might not be the best with kids but I don't know about this.
>>
>>2454037
yeah i'm just going on with the stuff i've read/seen on internet. Never had the chance to own a husky.
>>
fucking beagles and bloodhounds have the most annoying howl
>>
"Independence" is in the context of human interaction. Independent breeds don't need constant attention from their humans, and that does not necessarily mean that they are not "pack animals."

Having a "pack" mentality is detrimental to human-dog relations. Dogs are smart enough to know you are not a dog and that humans don't function in the same way as a wolf pack. Unless you have more than a handful of dogs, you don't have a pack--you have a family with a companion animal.
>>
These 3 from my experiences owning and observing (mostly for independent attitudes, stubbornness, hair upkeep, and need for strong training to to prevent unwanted aggression):

Akita
Chow Chow
Korean Jindo

I want to say some livestock guardian breeds for being really independent, stubborn, slow to listen to commands, and BIGGGG. I've only been around Great Pyrenees, but I've heard that Anatolian Shepherds and Turkish Akbash are similar with more aggressive tendencies.

Ones that I've read about but never met in person:

Karelian Bear Dog - hunting dog who fights bears. Really aggressive but so fucking cute I want one so bad arghhhhh
Belgian Malinois - only for the fact that people underestimate how much energy they really have
>>
>>2454211
>>2454022

Also, maybe add a Health category.
>>
Most livestock guardian breeds are going to be hard because:
1. need a lot of space
2. high likelihood of aggression
3. very independent and not very "receptive" to training
4. usually very large size
5. some may have high maint coats, too.

even high energy working breeds (malinois, huskies, etc.) could be managed in an apartment if you were highly active, but i feel like a livestock guardian breed would never do well in an apartment.
>>
Pitbulls.
There's a reason you see sweet pitbulls but the majority are dangerous. They're a high level difficulty pet.
>>
>>2454022
Caucasian ovcharka. Independent and prone to stranger and animal aggression. Difficult to train but needs to be extremely well trained due to sheer size alone. Upkeep would also be high due to their size and coat.

What do you mean by canine good citizenship?
>>
>>2454211
>>2454223
confirmed with Tibetan Mastiffs. They're mellow and intelligent but very difficult to train.
>>2454304
canine good citizenship means good and desirable behavioural traits in a dog. like, not destroying the furniture, not being unnecessarily agressuve, being house-friendly etc...
>>
>>2454202
My beagle sounds like a seal barking outside when she wants back in.
>>
File: IMG_2661.jpg (185KB, 583x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2661.jpg
185KB, 583x640px
>>2454211
>Karelian Bear Dogs
>>
File: IMG_1239.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1239.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
anybody have any experience with a Lhasa Apso?
Mine was a beauty. She was very understanding and quick to learn new stuff even when she was 12-13 years old. Definitely one of the most well mannered, human-like dog out there.
Sad she passed away last year at the grand ol' age of 15.
>>
>>2454035
>>2454037
Huskies aren't hard to own.

I previously owned a pitbull, but a relative took over when I moved. That dog wasn't hard to train.

Then later on I picked up a husky, who is way more energetic, but still not hard to train. He has some attitude and we play around, but he understands when I'm serious, like when its time for bed and he has to shut up.

Chewing stuff is his biggest problem. My previous dog did not chew on anything and was more alert for strangers. The husky chewed my window siding when I left him alone once, is much friendlier with everyone, and a lot less honest with his mistakes.

When he was being housebroken he tried to hide his poo and pee inside when he thought I was busy by doing it upstairs if I was downstairs, or vice versa.

Shedding isn't really anything to worry about. You should be vacuuming or sweeping your house every day or every other day anyways, dont be gross.
>>
>>2454371
We had a Papillon/Lhasa Apso mix when I was a kid, unfortunately we didn't train it at all and it became a little monster very quickly.
>>
>>2454022
Pugs are the most difficult by far.
>Take pug out for a walk in the dog park
>Literally everyone who passes by laughs at her.

Not a day passes that I don't want to kill myself.
>>
>>2454431
Seconding this.

I had a husky who died at the start of the year.

From experience I'd say as long as the energy needs are met, they're pretty easy to look after. Easily trainable, not needy but not as aloof as people seem to think, friendly with strangers and new dogs.

The prey drive is really the only difficult thing about them. I was always terrified of the dog getting out and killing my neighbors pets. And any animal that made the mistake of entering my backyard was quickly torn to pieces.
>>
>>2454985
ahhahaahaha
I do that to other pug owners too. My pupper does not even bother being alert of these little ones.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.