[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Germans vs Belgians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

File: 6U70Rzm.png (388KB, 553x413px) Image search: [Google]
6U70Rzm.png
388KB, 553x413px
Alright, I'm looking to adopt a puppy. These are the breeds I'm interested in. I've owned German Shepherds and I love them, but I want to know what, if anything, makes Belgian Malinoises stand out.
>>
Belgium never lost a war. Germany never won a war.
>>
>>2453592
But Germany gave us Hitler and Belgium people say septante instead of soixante-dix.
>>
Get a Chinook.
>>
>>2453617

>Floppy ears

No thanks, anon
>>
>>2453573
I assume since they're less of a meme dog, the Belgian would be less overbred and therefore prone to fewer health problems.
>>
>>2453573
>makes Belgian Malinoises stand out.
4x more energetic
>>
>>2453622
Yea, it's the American breeding that's ruined German shepherds here in the states. If I get a German it would have to be one with an imported background. No hip problems for me, thanks.
>>
>>2453605
Well, that makes perfect sense. You say "seventy" not "sixty-ten-y". It's the French that are retarded over this.
>>
>>2453573
>>2453623
Yeah that. You can eventually tire a GSD, Malinois are indefatigable, especially puppies.
Unless you've experience with dogs and especially high-energy high-intelligence dogs, don't look for a puppy but try to find an already groomed/trained 1~2 year old Malinois, it'll be better for everyone involved.
>>
>>2453625
The germans have started to do that shit too.
>>
>>2453677
Fucking why?
>>
>>2453642
eighty is even more ridiculous. that's four-twenty-ten-y
>>
>>2453573
>what, if anything, makes Belgian Malinoises stand out.

They haven't been completely corrupted by the fucking pet industry........yet.
>>
>>2453683
american influence
>>
>>2453573
>what, if anything, makes Belgian Malinoises stand out.
Take everything that makes a German Shephard a German Shephard, subtract the disastrous breeding, multiply that all by about 10, and reduce the size a little.

That's a Malinoises.
>>
>>2453733
On the size thing, Malinois aren't smaller in height, they're leaner. It's very noticeable because their coat is also shorter, usually.
>>
>>2453733
sweet incoherent post bro
>>
>>2453736
I hear they barely shed, at least in comparison to the GSD.
>>
>>2453727
You have something great, the German Shepherd, now why on earth do you want to go fuck that up? Dog shows are ruining dogs for everyone else.
>>
>>2453744
This is true. They do shed though
>>
>>2453775
Their coats must be very thin
>>
File: IMG_0742.jpg (887KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0742.jpg
887KB, 1080x1920px
I've got a Mal puppy. She's about 8 weeks old- they're similar in appearance to GSDs but like other anons have said, they're a bit leaner and about 10 times as energetic and athletic. They're still incredibly smart- my girl learned "sit" "down" and "come" all within 2 days. They reeeaaaallly like to tug and bite, however- that needs to be trained out and watched closely, especially as they get bigger and more energetic.

They're also good at threat assessment from what I've read- I've kind of seen it in my puppy as she will stop, get in a dominant position, (tail up, wide stance, ears up, etc) and watch people like a hawk until they pass by the yard. She's a lot of work, but it's manageable as long as you're willing to put in the time and give them a job- even if that job is as simple as getting the paper every day. They definitely need to feel like they have a purpose and feel included, otherwise they will tear your house apart.
>>
>>2453779
The place I'm looking at to get one advertises them heavily as being family protection animals. Like they put that right up there with them being companions.

I have soooo much time to devote to a dog so I think I'll be able to burn a nice bit of energy and challenge them mentally.

Right now though it seems like a coin flip between a Mal and a GSD. Thankfully both the places I'm looking at are near each other so it'll probably come down to just seeing the pups in person and making my decision then.
>>
>>2453784
Yes, they're very sweet with the people they consider their family. Other than that, they're aloof until the stranger has been "okayed" by the owner.

Like GSDs they're instinctively protective but if you want a no-shit guard dog, you'll have to train them like any other breed. Luckily they really want to please you and are very quick learners. They're used as k9s by lots of different military and special forces groups for a reason. Id say if you have the time and devotion, try a malinois out.
>>
>>2453787
I'm extremely interested. When you say they're aloof until a stranger has been "okayed" what do you mean? Like how does a Mal learn that a stranger is okay? Is it merely by watching its owner interact with the stranger or do they need to be shown that a stranger is welcome?
>>
>>2453791
Basically they're just extra mindful of them and won't really cozy up until they see their owner acting friendly and nice with them for a little. Keep in mind this is all anecdotal experience from me as I have worked with them in the fire department and military- my puppy is still pretty young and is still kind of learning the ropes- but all the other mals I've met, you can tell they're working things out in their head and getting a read on you when they first meet you. They're like fuckin velociraptors
>>
>>2453776
It's weird fur, it's sort of wiry-feeling compared to a GSD or a golden retriever
>>
>>2453795
Very interesting. I really appreciate your insight in all of this.
>>
I've never met a shitty mal in contrast to the hordes of shitty german shepherds I've met.

>walking to the store
>pass two police officers in an abandoned parking lot playing fetch with a small mal puppy
>"CATCH"
>they whip the ball at me
>catch it
>play with two police officers and a puppy for almost an hour
>they're teaching it to chase and grab on to me

Fucking adorable. It was only a few months old so I had to be careful not to rip it's teeth off when it's grab not to my pants and it was still ready for everything when we stopped. That dog is going to be an adorable killer.
>>
>>2453817
While Germans and Mals are both working dogs, it seems to me that Mals are more sought out by actual working people. Police, military, etc. Germans are popular with everyone. So it could just come down to different training.
>>
>>2453817
>I've never met a shitty mal in contrast to the hordes of shitty german shepherds I've met.
This is sort of like saying "I've never met a bad professional race car driver in contrast to hordes of shitty drivers".

I think that has more to do with gsds being more acceptable (and frankly better) family pets. Almost all of the mals I've seen and met were active or retired WMDs/k9s. People keeping mals as pets is really rare.
>>
>>2453824
>>2453822
We have the same point.
>>
>>2453677
It's actually banned here
>>
>>2453826
Thank god. I'm sure that doesn't stop it among shady breeders though, but as long as it limits it that's good.
>>
>>2453822
>>2453824
Mals make fine pets as long as you have the time and energy level to keep them stimulated and happy. Most families don't have that unfortunately.

I wouldn't say they're bad pets per se, just that they have a much higher requirement in terms of exercise, training, and purpose. If you can meet those needs you'll have one of the most loyal souls on the planet watching your back and hanging out with you 24/7. Those dogs would die for their owners without a second thought
>>
>>2453828
They used to breed the sloped back in Germany, but at least in the last decades it has been declared "qualzucht" which means "suffer-breeding". Making it de facto illegal. There are still people breeding it since it's not that enforced, but no respectable breeder does it anymore.
>>
>>2453837
Well that's good. I wish we could get something like that here in the US
>>
>>2453573
What's the correct way to pluralize Malinois?
>>
>>2453573
Maligators don't get tired. Like, they literally don't get tired. They will play and play and play until their bodies literally give out and they drop.
For that reason they're the new standard for military working dogs and police dogs.
Also, German Shepherds have so many health issues plaguing them from shit breeding and their popularity, whereas Mals don't have that, yet anyway. Mals are basically more active and driven GSDs without the health issues. Just as loyal, fearless and intelligent.

I'd love one myself, but I'm stuck in my apartment going to class all day.
>>
>>2453855
This thread is really making me want a Mal more than a German.
>>
>>2453784
Never rely on a dog 100% to protect your family or be a burglar deterrent. No matter the breed. Yes it is a factor in property protection, but unless that dog receives special training they aren't likely to guard. For example, some of the breeds featured in this article are GSD and Rottweilers.
https://www.aol.com/2012/11/15/guard-dogs-burglars-home-security/
If you want your Belgian to be a guarenteed guard dog it can be done, but it needs proper training from professionals
>The results may be disappointing to some, since two of the test breeds -- German shepherds and Rottweilers -- have been listed among the 10 best breeds for guard dogs. But Schettler said that no matter what breed the dog is, if it hasn't been trained to protect, it likely won't fight back against an intruder.
http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=20049010&catId=112042
>But would it be different if Cookson herself were threatened?
>Well, not only did the dogs not protect her; they high-tailed it to another room.
>"I was a little bit disappointed, because I thought I'd have, at least, a dog near me and they all just scattered," Cookson said.
>"To them, you're the caretaker, so if you're there, you should be the one taking care of them, not them taking care of you—like a child in your family," Deputy Tucker said.
4 GSD and none did anything, because they weren't trained professionally to be a guard dog.
>>
>>2453787
>>2453795
My aunt had a tervueren when I was a kid, he was the same. He'd stare down strangers until they got a "hello" or something, and then go back to being absolutely huggable to kiddie-me.

>>2453824
Where I live there are equal quantities of family euro GSDs and euro Malinois, Malinois are still better behaved overall. Nearly all the crazy dogs I've seen so far were GSDs, most of the others were pitt mixes.
>>
>>2453862
Interesting. That makes total sense about why they scattered with the way they explained it. I don't have a family nor do I live in a rough area so I'm not looking for a dog for protection. I was merely noting that they're heavily advertised as protection animals.
>>
File: IMG_9051.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9051.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2453573
Any Mal man in?
Or just people who like them?

Here's mine after getting attacked by a pit. You can imagine my opinion of those dogs now.
>>
>>2453625
DO NOT be fooled by the German GSD meme. The purity of the German Shepherd died with Hitler. Every country that has pure bred German Shepherds have roach back and sickle hock GSDs too. A lot of breeders will use importing as their claim to fame, if you stalk GSD forums you'll find the meta is to stay away from breeders who import. They overcharge for the same bad quality animal.
>>
>>2453871
That is a beautiful pupper you have there anon. I hope he/she is doing well now. I'm sorry you both went through that.
>>
>>2453872
How can I be assured that I'm getting a good quality GSD then? Or are you advising I just stay away from the breed entirely?
>>
>>2453822
>So it could just come down to different training.

No, it comes down to the fact that the shitty pet industry and show dog faggots haven't managed to fuck up the malinois genetics yet, the way they have the German shepherd dogs.

Between the backyard breeders and the dog show faggots, it's damn hard to find a GSD that isn't genetically fucked up these days, even in Europe.
>>
>>2453855
>They will play and play and play until their bodies literally give out and they drop.

I had a lab like this.
He would chase a ball or the waterhose tirelessly and bark/yell at you to keep going if you stopped, until he would literally start falling and tripping over his own body. His eyes would turn bloodshot.

Very nice dog though. Highly intelligent and receptive of human communication. People praised me all the time and asked what I did to make him such a nice dog. No idea what lines he was from, dad got him when I was a kid. Died this year, pretty bummed.

Have his mixed-breed son and he's fucking retarded.
>>
>>2453871
holy fuck did the pit straight up decapitate him? or did you have to amputate his head to save his body?
>>
File: IMG_0748.jpg (652KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0748.jpg
652KB, 1080x1920px
>>2453871
Yeah, I just got a puppy last week. She's a little terror but somehow we make it work. She's figured out how to unlock her play pen so I had to get an actual lock for it
>>
>not taking one of each and breeding them together

It's almost like you want inbred genetically deformed autistic shits.
>>
>>2454013

It's almost like you're retarded.
>>
So here's a question, for either of the two breeds is there a sex that is better? I'm a guy so Idk if that makes a difference in the answer.
>>
>>2454034
As long as you spay and neuter them at the right time then physical sex is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>2454034

Ignore this dumb fuck.>>2454070

Bitches are moodier, clingier, and are likely to be more possessive of you.

Dogs are more aloof, willing to wander, and far more likely to challenge your leadership by testing the boundaries you establish.

Either is fine for a companion animal, but dogs are better for work.
>>
>>2454124

Thanks!
>>
>>2453874
No. Get one from a breeder who wants healthy dogs. No fucking around with the ridiculous " breeding standards ". Maybe you can find someone who just wanted to have a nest once.
>>
>>2453871
Don't blame the dogs man, blame the owner first.
>>
>>2453892
>it's damn hard to find a GSD that isn't genetically fucked up these days, even in Europe.

Only if you stick to showline breeders and craigslist. It's easier if you search through long established working line GSD breeders. Of course you'll be spending more money but at least they tend to come with lifelong health guarantees. The breeder I got my shepherd from offered free kennel boarding for life, free training for life (basic obedience through IPO), life long health guarantee for numerous GSD diseases (elbow/hip and a bunch of other listed shit I dont want to hunt down the contract to post), an agreement to take the dog back at any point of his life. Maybe I lucked out with my breeder but the competition wasn't much different in their guarantees.

>>2453573
I'd cast my vote for the Shepherd. Malinois are G R E A T dogs but they are not nearly as versatile for the regular dog owner as a GSD. Malinois are top tier working dogs, they are very high energy and require a lot of dedication. I mean you have to practically eat/sleep/breath these dogs. They do not tire easily, and if they aren't stimulated they will destroy your home in an instant. That's why they got the nickname "Maligator". Bitches chew shit at the slightest sense of boredom. I had the fortune to meet some Malinois owners at a IPO trial and the general consensus is they're dogs for advanced ownership. They're one of the worst dogs to have if you're just going to take it for a walk once/twice a day and then throw it in the backyard for potty breaks. You've had Shepherds so you know what to expect. Stick with the tried and true.
>>
>>2453573
Get a mutt
>>
>>2454398
I am looking for a dog to challenge me physically and mentally so the Mal is quite tempting. It would be a lot to dedicate myself to, I've been doing research on them, but the payoff seems extraordinary.
>>
>>2454405
If you have the time and dedication then yes, a mal is quite honestly one of the best animals you could ever have as a companion. I'd go for it.
>>
What sort of price do Belgians usually go for? I ask this because the breeder I was talking with told me he charges $3k.
>>
>>2453959
Not sure if bait or retarded
>>
>>2453573
Difference will be mainly what everyone has said already. They haven't been severely inbred so they won't have the hip problems GSD's have. That's why they are more sought after in working positions. They also shed a lot less than GSD's because they have a short coat. They also seem to be leaner and a bit faster. I guess it would depend on what you want them for, if you are looking for a family dog I would say female GSD. If you are looking for a working dog go with the malinois.
>>
>>2454515
I bought my puppy for 1k, but they're a relatively new operation so that might have something to do with it. Expect anywhere from 1-5k I'd say, depending on the line and breeder.
>>
>>2454529
What would make you think either of those things anon?
>>
>>2454879
probably the tile 3ft away and the waterbowl on carpet, with water all over it
>>
>>2454933
In my defense she was visiting at my parents house and they're not amazing at the whole "pets" thing
>>
>>2453722
You mean 90
>>
File: 20170725_094238.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_094238.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
My roommate's German Shepard and Belgian malinois hybrid
>>
>>2457762
I thought workline GSs were at least safe from shitty breeding. :(
>>
>>2457844
>>2457762
Cute pup, didn't mean to quote
>>
File: 20170816_140921.jpg (740KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_140921.jpg
740KB, 1512x2016px
>>2453573
Well, OP here again, I have returned. After much puppy-seeking fun and adventure I went with the GSD mostly because there weren't many Malinois available in my area and price range. Plus the GSD I found was a sable (woot!) and she's from a German line.

I haven't named her yet so if you guys have any suggestions shoot them my way!
>>
Here's my little guy, graduating his agility class. He loved that shit famalam!
>>
>>2457924
name her Rasta
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.