[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts? https://youtu.be/tgLjhT7S15U

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: cyborg beetle.png (812KB, 1363x768px)
cyborg beetle.png
812KB, 1363x768px
Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/tgLjhT7S15U
>>
>>2453224
interesting and cool concept. don't really feel bad for beetle, isn't even aware of its own existance probably
>>
>>2453224
Even better Japanese beetle fights.
>>
>>2453236
This was my first thought
>>
B
>>
B
>>
>>2453224
What happens if they input Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Select Start?
>>
>>2453224
Cool but fine-tuning these and putting cameras on them and getting them to fly and walk long distances for practical purposes seems a long ways off. Also call me a cuck but it seems kinda unethical. I'm aware that there's not a lot of evidence proving they have emotions or feel pain like we do but I feel this isn't something we should be doing to living creatures like this, taking over their bodies and using them for our own purposes.
>>
>>2453224
The beetle has no nociceptors or central nervousness, and no thought process. Its awareness of the situation is likely on par with that of the lego brick it is tied to.
That said, this is kind of a grim path to be going down.
>>
>>2455860
>>2455836
It is grim reality I think with this tech but it seems like the most logical route for the near future. Why build a small flying robot when you can use beetles? Or hell look at those rat nuerons flying airplane simulators. Why develop a wholly new AI when you can simply piggyback off of nature and use a hybrid artificial/biological system? Instead of expensive R&D testing gyroscopes and technology for little robots use perfectly adapted flying insects, you know? I'm not really worried about "true AI" but some kind of A/BI would be a truly terrifying thing to behold. Might be unethical but I think with all the setbacks of true AI and robots this may be where its heading.
>>
>>2455872
Well if they can get it down pat I can definitely see this having almost infinite possibilities. The second hardest part would be getting the general public to not accept them. I can definitely see animal rights activists protesting the shit out of this type of thing if it really takes off.
>>
>>2455884
Oh totally. Animal rights people would definitely shitting themselves over using insects even if they happily squash spiders or swat mosquitos. Thats why I think that the use of animal neurons grown into circuitry is more a likely option. Not quite so easy to protest if its just lab grown cells being purposed for this. That part could even be potentially be hidden from the public if buy into that sort of narrative. But of course like you said the tech needs to be there first. It is indeed quite limitless in potential far more so than straight up artificial intelligence in my opinion.
>>
>>2455895
I think there's a big difference between killing a bug that's irritating you, and mass producing insects to turn into slaves for various purposes controlled by forced contractions through electric shock.
but I agree that similar technology could find its use if we specifically engineer organisms for utility. although I'm not sure it would be more effective than equivalent non-organic technologies.
>>
>>2453224
I lost it when they said they used a Wii remote
>>
>>2455872
Except beetles are retarded clumsy flyers. Do this with dragonflies
>>
>>2457650
Would the dragonflies be as strong, though?
>>
I too find this kinda unethical, but not exactly because I feel sorry for the beetles. What scares me is the potential evolution of such technology. Today it's beetles, tomorrow mice, the day after, humans?
Seems a bit far-fetched, yes, but that's the world we live in. Technocracy was a mistake.
>>
>>2455922
underrated
>>
>>2457660
very interesting thought. imagine having modern day slaves being practically robots. too soon asimov, too soon
>>
>>2457660
>>2457697

George R. R. Martin has a few short stories in his thousand worlds series about human corpses connected to a puppetmaster through a neural link, for force multiplication, gladiatorial combat, and prostitution. Interesting reads, but about twice as bleak as they sound, especially "Meathouse Man" if you're are/ have ever been a kissless virgin sperg.
>>
>>2457699

Oh, and of course the corpses are only occasionally acquired through legitimate means.
>>
>>2453224
>taking over an entire animal mind
this is giving me the creeps desu
>>
the voice of sanity right here >>2455922
>>
>>2453236
Hopefully we'll soon be able to rent a computer controlled fighting beetle for entertainment
>>
>>2455836
The ethical dimension doesn't really matter for insects. They have essentially no capacity for any kind of thought.
I would be willing to question the morality of hijacking the brain of a fish or something like that though.
>>
>>2453224
$10 says the chip is smarter than the bug. They get ARMs that small these days, maybe like 50-100MIPS wouldn't surprise me, although what I'd like to know is where the power is coming from.

$100 says a human driving a bug is a fucklot smarter than the bug itself is.
>>
>>2455922
What's the difference exactly?

Is it wrong to use fly larvae to heal wounds?
Isit wrong to breed worms for reptile pet food?
Is it wrong to slave bees to consume their honey?

Besides, controlling beetlesis hardly the best thing we will achieve with this investigation, it will eventually lead other scientists to work with bigger brains eventually, which in turn could be used to treat human diseases, such as any kind of muscular distrophy
>>
>>2458059
Organisms consuming others can't be unethical because it is inevitable and necessary.
>>
>>2457654
Youve never seen a hero darner, i guess.
>>
File: 1502598773913.jpg (668KB, 1440x1016px) Image search: [Google]
1502598773913.jpg
668KB, 1440x1016px
they will probably also find ways to keep basic life mechanisms going and do this to deceased people for all kinds of purposes in the future.
then faggots finally have their real zombie invasions.

the future looks bleak.
>>
>>2458173
>actual real life zombie invasion
>just take out the batteries lmao
>>
>>2454360
It becomes either sapient or it explodes.
>>
>>2458025
Fish don't even feel pain nor are they Aware of themselves. I wouldn't have Problems with that. Little rodents though...
>>
These better be bred and not just poached from the wild.
Who knows what impact taking these species from the wild could have on local diversity?
>>
>>2458212
>harvest beetle from its' natural habitat
>augment it, turn it into the perfect mix of animal and technology; an unstoppable killing machine
>release it back into the wild after a few years with only one simple mission: to find Sarah Connor
>hilarity ensues
>>
>>2458184
The issue with zombies has never been the difficulty to kill them
>>
>>2459905
Yeah, they are easy to kill individually. But en masse? Nuh.
But with this we are talking easy mass disposal. Just take the batteries off of the remote controllers and they all drop lmao
>>
i got a kit from some science site for a remote control version of this where you stick the wires into their antenni after cutting tops off of them.
>>
>>2458212
They are definitely bred...
>>
I never got the idea of the ethical hang ups people are feeling with this. Nature does the exact same thing on its own. Just look up mind control parasites. Nature has been controlling the minds of insects for millennia, humans doing it is no different.
>>
>>2453224
Cyborg bears when
>>
Why the fuck would you use biological creatures when we have drones we can buy at Wal-Mart for 50 dollars let alone the military drone technology. The arrogance of man using biology of nature to it's advantage will destroy our civilization. Nature will fight back and we will lose the fight.
>>
>>2461050
Yes, because the beetles have both the self awareness and ability to communicate enough to establish a massive uprising to overthrow the humans.

Animals can't fight back. Think of Rhinos, Tigers, ect. Massive animals capable of slaying humans, and they have been hunted, subjugated and ravaged to a point where they barely even exist.

Humans may be "arrogant" for taking advantage of biology, but there will be little repercussions at the hands of the animals. You're very naive to believe that there is any force which could stop the ever advancing greed and self absorption the humans exhibit.

Nature will die. We all will die.
>>
File: 20140806.png (108KB, 684x846px) Image search: [Google]
20140806.png
108KB, 684x846px
>>2458025
>>2458209
Reminded me of this.
>>
>>2461476
>Nature will die. We all will die.

In around 15 billion years perhaps, so due to the heat death of the universe. But not earlier.

In the long run, even the sun going red giant is not going to stop humanity.
>>
>>2461050
Because these things are small and can automatically avoid obstacles, and can operate for a longer continuous period of time than machines. What exactly this makes them useful for, I don't really know.
>>
>>2461495
>he doesn't know about Israel's nuclear programme
>>
>>2461495
>humans cannot and will not stop humans
lamo
>>
>>2453224
I mean its cool and all but i thought we already had nano drones. Whats the point of beetle drones
>>
>>2461476
You're a fucking moron, I wasn't talking about the animals directly, I mean the ecosystem will become inhabitable to us and we will die due to our actions at the hands of us fucking up nature as a whole.

Bottom line is when we destroy ourselves, ecology will recover and nature will flourish as soon as our piece of shit race is eradicated.
>>
>>2453224
SOON
>>
>>2461753
Hot damn. I had forgotten this show existed. My little brother was all into that shit because apparently Power Rangers alone just wasn't autistic enough for him.
>>
>>2461738
>Bottom line is when we destroy ourselves, ecology will recover and nature will flourish as soon as our piece of shit race is eradicated.

You mean if, not when, and that's a big if. If you hate humanity so much then why don't you start by killing yourself, so the rest of us don't have to keep up with you?
>>
>>2453224
human cyborgs when?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.