[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you like my Tibetan Mastiff? His name is Leo.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

Do you like my Tibetan Mastiff? His name is Leo.
>>
>>2453043
your dog could use some eyes
>>
>>2453046
Fun fact: The brown spots above many livestock guarding breeds eyes are meant to mimic actual eyes to scare off predators.
>>
File: gray-wolf_thumb.jpg (176KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gray-wolf_thumb.jpg
176KB, 1024x1024px
>>2453058
I don't believe you. That sounds completely retarded for predators, especially since it being right above their eyes has no advantage in prey or predators.

Wolves and some coyotes even have it. Canines also use facial expressions for communication and it probably just helps with that.
>>
>>2453065
They're false eyes, which are common in the animal kingdom. Tigers have them on the backs of their ears, for example. Black dogs' eyes aren't visible from far away, so the spots are there so wolves and the like know they're being watched. But you're right that they're used for communication, too.
>>
>>2453058
That makes no sense. Why would seeing an animal has eyes make a predator less likely to attack it?
>>
>>2453090
Reading up on eyespots in cats, I'm still hesitant about it but it makes more sense being in the back than front.

Wolf and coyote eyes aren't black. Dogs probably just have them because it came with different patterns and colors that come with domestication.

>>2453091
For prey animals or lesser predators, having them one your butt, sides or tail(like peacocks) may deter predators that use stealth(they think they are getting stared at, which is usually an aggressive signal) or trick them into attacking a different, hopefully safer part of their body.

People use masks on the back of their heads in India in hopes of deterring tigers from attacking them but I think they wised up to that.
>>
>>2453101
The vast majority of dogs with black around their eyes that have brown eyebrows are all guarding breeds or derivatives of them.
>Rottweiler
>Doberman
>Tibetan Mastiff
>Bernese Mountain Dog
>Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
>Beauceron
>Hovawart
>English Shepherd
>Entlebucher Mountain Dog
>Appenzeller Sennenhund
>Bohemian Shepherd

Exceptions include
>Black and Tan Coon Hound
>Gordon Setter
>>
>>2453101
Yeah but having them above your eyeballs? A predator could still be stealthy no problem
>>
File: 200_s.gif (54KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
54KB, 350x200px
>>2453113
German shepherds, huskies, and just about all black and tan dogs have them. Lot of wild canines have them. It's def not a domesticated trait, though it has become more pronounced through domestication. Whether or not people bred them intentionally for it, I've never heard anything about it but it's not actual mimicry.

What I'm saying that it's dogshit that it's mean to be false eyes. If not for communication, for sunlight/light reasons. Plenty of animals have white or lighter colors rimming their eyes, especially felines. Could be it helps enhance moonlight and aid in traversing the dark.

>>2453115
I'm with you on that, anon.
>>
File: 34535354543477467464765774754.jpg (209KB, 714x960px) Image search: [Google]
34535354543477467464765774754.jpg
209KB, 714x960px
Pic of Leo awake
>>
>>2453142
>Those proportions

What the fuck.
>>
>>2453142
this has to be photoshopped
>>
>>2453142
ho ho ho hees legs dey are so tiny
>>
>>2453142
>>2453170
>>2453171
>>2453178
It might be the angle but is it me or his head ridiculously too huge for the body?
Even without the fluff his forehead is fucking huge. It looks higher than a pitbulls. The slope between the muzzle and forehead is nuts.

Why do I have a feeling that they are getting more bred to be SMASHED and SLAMMED? I bet they will look like just as bad as these chinese German shepherds.
>>
File: 220px-Tybetan_Matt.jpg (14KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Tybetan_Matt.jpg
14KB, 220x165px
>>2453193
Better face for a t. mastiff. They will be brachycephalic giant pugs in no time.
>>
>>2453142
cant stop laughing at this fuckin thing
genius
>>
>>2453193
Fucking chinks any dog they don't eat ends up a wrinkled abomination.
>>
>>2453058
Fun Fact: The TM with these spots on are valued highly for their ability to "see threats in the future". This is an actual Tibetan belief.

>>2453043
What they like to own, OP? They're probably top on my list at the moment. I've done hours and hours of research and spoke to TB clubs, breeders and rehabilitators and they seem a good breed.
>>
>>2453789
Has the Chinese obsession faded?
>>
>>2453957
Yes. They're no longer in such high demand over there.

Over here, in the UK, they're relatively unknown. I've heard the same for the US too. They're still healthy for their breed size so I've been told.
>>
>>2453091
Considering livestock dogs were meant to fuck up wolves, I bet a wolf would not want to simply waltz up to one that's wide awake staring at them.
>>
>>2454305
Wolves aren't afraid of dogs, they're afraid of confrontation and injury.

No wolf is afraid of a single dog. There's a reason why LGD work in sporadic groups.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.