[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do cows make good pets do they have personalities? I think I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

Do cows make good pets do they have personalities? I think I really underrepresented these animals.
>>
Never had any direct experience with one, but I've heard from someone who had a cow that they're basically retards with no personality. I think his words were something like "If everyone had a cow in their backyard, no one would object to eating them."
>>
Cows aren't as bad as above poster says but I wouldn't say they are good pets. Most people who think cows and pigs are retarded aren't around these animals as pets. I think cows are full of personality(more than pigs which you would think otherwise since they are so fucking smart but they just do not give a fuck about anything) but not as outwardly recognized as say, a dog. People need expressions and they're at least used to reading dog and cat body language so anything that isn't that they have no idea what's going on.

They can also be extremely dangerous, as anything that size is even if it's an accident. For average sized cattle, they need more room and food which is off putting. You can ride a cow like a horse but a cow does not move like a horse so they aren't as 'fun' to ride. I think horses are fucking retarded but you get more use out of a single horse than you do a single cow.

Obviously goats are the superior option. Only you can't ride them.
>>
File: vegetarian.png (376KB, 500x721px) Image search: [Google]
vegetarian.png
376KB, 500x721px
>>2450973
>"If everyone had a cow in their backyard, no one would object to eating them."
this is true. You won't find a lot of vegetarians on ranches. Animals mostly suck.
>>
>>2450955
Cows release methane. You'll be contributing to global warming.
>>
>>2451112
Dead plants release methane too. There is no avoiding it.
>>
>>2450973
used to date a girl whose parents had two 2-2ton work/show/breeding bulls and they were like giant puppy dogs. they recognized when their names were called and loved to interact, which was terrifying due to their size.
>>
>>2450976
based chicken
>>
>>2451147
>they were like giant dogs
This. The only difference is they have different body language and shit so if you go around a 700 pound cow expecting it to jump up and down and play with ropes then you'll be sadly disappointed. Also if playing and shit is the only "personality" you see in your dog then you aren't paying enough attention, they have just about every emotion humans have, you just have to learn how to understand their expression. Same goes for cows and other farm animals people usually think are just insurmountably retarded to the point of just being a brain stem, like chickens
>>
>>2450955
They're a bit big for pets
>>
File: IMG_20170513_203647.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170513_203647.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2450955
>Do cows make good pets do they have personalities?
For a pet they would be stupid expensive. If you breed them so they produce you would also need to milk them.

Personality, yes definitely. I have many pets where I work. Some are curious and try to eat literally everything their tongue will wrap around. Some like attention and will stick their head in the pit or stand in doorways to force interaction. We have an old red one that refuses to go in until you pet her, once satisfied she walks away and goes right in. Rescue is a very friendly cow, unless you turn on the sprinklers and she gets wet. Then she refused to let you pet her and charges in.

Some cows have a lot of personality, not always good. Not gonna lie, some cows are assholes, not just to us but other cows as well. Some are so stupid they literally do not seem to know what is going on. Oddly, befriending one seems to engage their brain and they become more seemingly more aware.
>>
>>2452754
Also, your picture is perfectly accurate. Unless the cow has had an extremely bad experience you can befriend it. Every time you see it try to get close, if they cannot get away even better. Just keep petting them until they get used to human interaction and don't associate you with danger. Give them food and it makes it much faster, doesn't seem to matter if they like it, just the act of giving them food seems to be enough. Unless its something like mints where they curl their nose going wtf. In my experience grass is the best treat.
>>
>>2451173
>Same goes for cows and other farm animals people usually think are just insurmountably retarded to the point of just being a brain stem, like chickens
They are definitely retarded, that does not mean they have no personality. But they are definitely stupid. They also have very little attachment to others, evolving as a herd creature seems to cause that. It is better for the herd if an individual is sacrificed while the others escape, this leads to what we would consider very little, or very shallow bonding in the cow species. A mother will still usually protect her calves, but not always. <\rant>
>>
>>2452811
This.

>cats, dogs, horses, corvids and raptors, dolphins, rats to a degree, raccoons and other trashniggers
>Predators, scavengers and often social creatures that, due to their methods of getting food, have evolved a relatable degree of intelligence and can communicate with humans; if raised or otherwise motivated to do so can have meaningful interactions with a degree of mutual understanding
>rabbits, cows, chickens, lesser rodents, sheep, goats, herd animals in general
>brains revolve around eating plants and not getting eaten; communication is possible but less satisfying, ruled by emotions of fear and obedience above all else
>snakes, inverts
>biological machines designed for a totally different niche; emotional processing, if any, is completely different from ours; interactions possible but mostly a series of input/output
>bees
>Master race Borg superorganism expresses desire and need without emotion; operate on input/output. Output can be understood by all creatures, primarily the pitch shift and flight behaviour of a colony when they communicate: "You are in violation of our land and airspace, remove yourself or we will engage in military action". Non-pheromone internal communications such as queenlessness are also perceivable. In their mindless meta-consciousness there is infinite wisdom.
>>
>>2452932
And I didn't mention pigs because I enjoy pork and try not to think about their high levels of intelligence.
>>
>>2450955
You'll notice in old cartoons cows are divas. This is true. They are super affectionate when they get their way, throw fits...1500 lb fits, when they dont. I brought mine an apple one day. She wanted corn. She smashed my thumb against the fence
>>
>>2450976
I gotta stop eating chicken.
>>
>>2450976

wtf I love chickens now
>>
File: IMG_20170810_212141.jpg (735KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_212141.jpg
735KB, 1836x3264px
>>2452944
Kek, true.
>>
>>2450973
>>2450976
They would also know animals are gross. I don't even eat pussy, why would I want to put some cow's colon in my mouth?! Watching a man eat a hotdog is gayer than all of /h/
>>
>>2452932
This is overly reductive. Cats aren't very social, not the wilds ones our domestic ones descend from. They aren't as smart as, say, horses which are herd animals.

Pretty much all social burrowers are pretty rad, though. Meekats, prairie dogs, naked mole rats, and gerbils are easily spooked but also very curious and very communicative (just not with people).

Individual bees are not totally devoid of personality. It's demonstrated that positive and negative experiences tends to increase or decrease, respectively, how far from the hive the bee will explore. So it seems bee can be subjected to some degree of operant conditioning.

Ants are probably more borg-like. Since they communite instantly through chemical markers, there's less room for intrepretation the likes of which seems to be involved in bee dancing.
>>
>>2450974
>you can't ride them
FINALLY something manlets have on lankfags
>>
I swear I've been in this exact thread with the exact responses like a year and a half ago
>>
>>2450976
desperately need a webcomic about ancap piggo and natsoc chicko
>>
File: girl and cow.jpg (266KB, 1330x1305px) Image search: [Google]
girl and cow.jpg
266KB, 1330x1305px
>>2451112
How about all the bison that used to be all over North America. By some estimates there were more of them than there are cattle now.

Did they cause Global Warming?™
>>
>>2454873
Bison produce far less methane than cows and eat native prairie grass which is also much better
>>
>>2452932
Raptors are emotionless dumbshits who are a bitch to train for hunting, which is basically all they can ever do. Chickens are extremely communicative socially aware birds who can be easily trained to do all kinds of cool shit.
>>
>>2454873
wish I was that cow
>>
>>2454885
Most cows eat the same exact scrubland for most of their lives. They only get sent to a feedlot at the end for finishing.
>>
>>2455148

Which is wear they produce the most methane.
>>
>>2450955
I have heard that cows are actually very sweet animals
>>
>>2450973
I think your friend may have been autistic. Cows are incredibly curious animals. Also, every animal has their own character, and no this shouldn't prevent you from eating them, but denying it is just ignorant.
>>
>>2455613
nice meme
>>
>>2456106
>I think your friend may have been autistic. Cows are incredibly curious animals.
It is a pain in the ass trying to build something with cows around, they are always trying to sneak up and lick/eat everything. You set your hammer down, turn around and a cow runs off with it or drops it and runs in terror because it moved.

>>2455969
Depends on the cow, some cows are dicks.
>>
>>2453298
>Implying you not eating pussy is your choice
>>
File: cowskull.jpg (387KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
cowskull.jpg
387KB, 800x450px
Someday I am going to fill her skull with LEDs and make a sweet nightlight. The problem with having animals as your childhood friends is they die pretty fast.
>>
>>2454739
>Ancap Pig
>NatSoc Chicken
>Commie Cow
>tfw there will never be a webcomic based off this trio
>>
>>2457505
If you think a bout it the modern dairy cow lives in a communist utopia.
>The farmer is the State
>Food is provided
>Housing is provided
>Job is provided, they all get milked several times a day
>The cows lives are managed by the farmer down to everything except how they spend their free time
>>
>>2450955
For starters, a cow is usually heavier than a full grown man.
That alone makes them less than optimal pets for a whole bunch of reasons.
They also smell bad pretty much no matter how well kept they are, so they're basically an outdoor pet only.

They can be friendly, cute, and playful of course. Just not an easy to manage pet
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.