[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will my micro-bros live?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Figure_23_03_10.png (336KB, 1042x617px) Image search: [Google]
Figure_23_03_10.png
336KB, 1042x617px
Alright /an/, I'm no microbiologist so I need your help. Does anyone know the life span of protists or other waterborne microorganisms?

I'm in a position were I've collected water samples from a fairly remote location, and I wont be able to get back to my home lab until the 10th. Will the creatures inside of my water samples survive that long? They are outside so any autotrophic organisms will have light and the heat will be the same as their natural environment. The lids of the jars are removed to allow oxygenation of the water, the humidity is always >50% or more, and it's not super hot, so I don't expect evaporation to be drastic.

Will they live? Will I still be able to see interesting shit even after it being removed from the environment for the next three days? Any tips for keeping them alive and well?
>>
1 Don't underestimate the amount of evaporation that takes place
2 The amount of possible aqueous colonizers just floating around is high, you might get algae overgrowth (perhaps not in 10 days, but idk, depends on sample)
3 If taken from habitat, the natural balance might shift and certain species might become outcompeted in a very short amount of time depending on what the conditions of your water are right now
4 It's really anyone's guess, because water can have a shit ton of organisms living in it..

How big are your containers?
Is there "just" water in it, or do you have some soil/rocks/plants in there too?
Was the place you took it from flowing or still water?
I'm no microbiologist either, but I have some basics, so other people with more knowledge will have to chime in on this..
>>
just search for storage of microbial lake samples or something similar. this has some info around 5.6
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/resourcesquality/wqmchap5.pdf?ua=1

The actual make up of your sample is going to be vastly different from what it was initially if anything is still living. I know in the teaching lab there is a small tank with mixed protists that they put a small tube in connected to the air outlet to oxygenate it. Research samples would normally be sealed and cooled to 2-6 C to slow down all biological reactions and transported within 12 hours for analysis. If you dont care about contamination you could make a hay infusion. You literally just put water sample in a jar and put some hay trimming and let it sit out of direct sunlight for a week. The hay provides nutrition for bacterial populations and protozoa eat the bacteria etc.

Even if you dont do a hay infusion this sheet mentions that protozoa require oxygen so each day use a plastic pipette to bubble some air in. You could do something like that to ensure sufficient oxygenation if you leave it at room temp.
https://www.carolina.com/teacher-resources/Document/carolina-labsheets-make-a-hay-infusion/tr41608.tr

Maybe you could try splitting your sample and trying a few different storage methods like room temp, and putting one in a small container filled with ice.

changing pH, chemical composition, dying microbes releasing junk and plenty of other things will occur over 3 days
>>
>>2450893
Doesn't hay open up the risk for serious mold contamination though?
>>
>>2450853
>The lids of the jars are removed to allow oxygenation of the water,
This doesn't actually oxygenate the water because in still water biofilms form across the surface blocking oxygen from reaching the water column. This is alleviated somewhat in nature by photosynthesizing organisms- mostly algae and cyanobacteria- adding oxygen below the biofilm. However you'll find that still, scummy water houses far fewer microorganisms and far less diversity.

So this may not be much of a problem if you sampled water from a scum-covered pond with no movement whatsoever. But if your samples came from clear water with no surface films you're going to have a bad time. An airstone would fix the problem perhaps. But even then it's just a matter of time before you get a bacterial bloom that consumes all the O2 and suffocates everything in your jar.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.