[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

self-sustaining aquarium?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: poor_ass_aquarium.jpg (469KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
poor_ass_aquarium.jpg
469KB, 2048x2048px
I've collected water plants and water from a pond/puddle in a forest yesterday. The water itself is literally infested with little shrimp like creatures. I thought I could build myself a somewhat self-sustaining aquarium.
Please note that I have no experience with aquariums whatsoever.

Firstly, I've put small rocks in a approximately 1 liter container and covered them completely in fine sand. Then I placed additional stones and decorations on the surface and poured the (nano shrimp infested) water into the container. After that, I tried planting some of the water plants, I've brought from the forest (they grew on dirt underwater so I thought they wouldn't live long in a sand substrate). I pushed their roots into the sand, gently securing them.
After one hour all the floating dirt and particles settled and I could watch all the little critters swimming around.

To be continued...
>>
This morning I've put the container outside for a half-hour into direct sunlight in the hopes to give the plants the sunshine they need.
Now this evening the water smells bad, not really this bad, buy it definitely smells unpleasant. Additional all little creatures, besides a few, have disappeared.
I wanted to put bigger (2cm big) freshwater shrimps from a local creek into the container, but being from a creek they would need a constant flow of water I guess?
I also wanted to put in a little predator into it, like a larva of a salamander for example, which could eat the little shrimps and so on.

I know water filtration, water pumps and water changes and so on are needed to keep the water from going bad. I also know that the smaller the water body is, the easier it can go bad.
But there must be a way to make sure all these animals could live in such a small self-sustaining environment, right? I am sure I did everything right besides the substrate... I got plants for water cleaning and production of O2, little animals producing waste as nutrition for the plants and sunshine.

Anybody can help me out on this? How can I make sure that everything is happy and alive in such a small environment (1 liter)?

Attached picture shows two different views into the container.
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>2450365
The substrate doesnt matter... the amount of bacteria in water you pull from the top of the pond isnt enough to keep up with anythings bioload, the smell is probably from everything in it dying from ammonia poisoning. If anything, the substrate you pulled up probably helped keep them alive a little longer. Throw everything away, bleach it, and buy proper plants, water conditioner if your local water supply has heavy metals, and regular shrimp from a pet store. Anything you pull from nature has a chance of being diseased or infested with parasites.
>>
>>2450385
I don't have the money to buy anything. I should've mentioned it earlier maybe.
But I see, thank you for your reply.

Btw, I got a small water fountain that usees a little water pump. Perhaps I can build a kind of filtration system out of it?
>>
>infested with little shrimps

Probably mosquito larvae, have fun with your infestation.
>>
>>2450400
I know how mosquito larvae look like. And there was only one inside, which I removed earlier.
The "little shrimp creatures" I am talking about are Cladocera. Look it up.
But besides them, there are also orange colored creature that have the form of a grain of sand but move quickly on the surface of the sand. The Cladocera on the other hand move more like up and down, floating freely in the water.

So act all-knowing somewhere else.
>>
You will need to make water changes. Ammonia will build up.
>>
>>2450395
No, the pump will kill your little amphipods. An air pump hooked up to a cheap sponge filter is enough to keep things from going stagnant.
Wait until the tank is cycled before getting the shrimp, dead shrimp are gonna smell far worse than dead pods and what I'm guessing are ostracods.
Tank is too small for babby salamander and your little critters are cannibalistic anyway, they'll eat each other when they run out of room.
>>
>>2450428
Would be 7 liter sufficient enough? Or are 10 liter the smallest possible size?
>>
>>2450365
>>2450418
>Clacodera
I was able to maintain a small 2-liter tank of Daphnia and seed shrimp for several months - I used leftover sand as substrate, distilled water, a couple marimo from my main tank and a couple drops of green water daily. After a while algae started growing in the tank and I didn't need to feed them any more. They really don't need much.

That said, I did hatch them from a triops egg pack - I moved the Triops to another container knowing that the packs often contained other critters that get devoured as the Triops grew in size and wanted to keep them alive as well.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.