[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dogs taking pills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 469017987-1.jpg (37KB, 620x360px) Image search: [Google]
469017987-1.jpg
37KB, 620x360px
My dog has kennel cough and we've been thinking up ways to give her medication, but each time she finds out what we do to trick her into having it.

>put it inside food and treats to give to her
>was fine for two days
>gives it to her again today
>she grows suspicious of each food we give her and doesn't eat it now
>try opening her mouth to give it to her
>she begins to salivate or shut her mouth tight refusing to take it
It gets frustrating for us to give it to her and we have another three days left to give it to ger but it's extremely complicated. Is there any advice as to what we should do?
>>
>>2448271
just wrap it in a ball of cheese. fucking hell this isnt rocket science. its a dog find some type of food it likes and shove the pill in and wa la
>>
>>2448271
Shove it down her throat. I find it hard to believe that you can't pry a fucking dog's mouth open with one hand and shove the pill down it's throat with the other. You sound like one of those fucking idiots "wah I'll never hit my precious dog". Are you gonna let her have kennel cough or are you gonna make fucking sure that those fucking pills are down her throat and THEN give her the damn cheese. I swear to god you shouldn't have a dog if you need detailed instructions on how to give them a fucking pill.
>>
I have a dog who had/has frequent problems that require pills. At some point you just have to force it on them if they repeatedly spit it out. Gently hold their muzzle, op n their mouth with your free hand, then take the pill and either put it in the back of their mouth and hold their mouth shut until they swallow, or push the pill into the throat gently with your finger.
>>
>>2448288
>>2448307
Thanks. You fags were a tremendous help.
>>
>>2448271
Recently I've just been putting some peanut butter on the pill. Eats it right up.
>>
File: 1307066877279.gif (2MB, 320x234px) Image search: [Google]
1307066877279.gif
2MB, 320x234px
I just pretend to eat one in front of him, that makes my dog think it's the most delicious shit ever
>>
>>2448307
This, minus the cursing.

>>2448313
Are you some faggot that can't tease out informative advice from fluffy adjectives?
>>
>>2448393
Seriously, though. Put pill down throat, rub throat while titling head upwards to encourage swallowing, treat and pets after. That's the only way to avoid

>>2448361
Pet learns to lick peanut butter off and leave pill.

>>2448376
Pet habituates to the pretense.

If you're looking for a long-term solution, train your dog to enjoy taking the unadulterated pill, by rewarding after the 5-seconds of mild stress is over.
>>
I worked at a vet office with a boarding kennel. Many of the dogs could be coaxed into eating pills and some even took them like candy. Pill wrap was a lifesaver. But there are dogs that you can't trick into eating pills willingly, and sometimes even the agreeable dogs decide they don't want a pill when they feel sick and disinterested in food.

You have to just force the pill in the dogs mouth. The best way to do this is to be quick and decisive with your movements. Use one hand to open the muzzle, and then take one finger and "hook" the pill into a corner of their throat. If you try and put it in the middle of their mouth its too easy for them to just spit it back out again. Close the dogs mouth with your hands and tilt the head. Pet and encourage, even rub the throat if you have to and when you see the dog swallow praise them.

Congrats your dog is medicated!
>>
I'll wrap the pill in something he likes, like a piece of cheese or meat. Then I will take out a second piece and makes sure he sees it. He sees me holding second piece, he eats first as quickly as possible so he can have more. Not a 100% success rate, but definitely cut down on him spitting the pill out.

Simply putting a pill inside wet dog food also has worked well.

>>2448393
/an/ is a friendly board, nothing wrong with phrasing your advice in a non-dickish manner unless you have mental problems.
>>
>>2448271
We use turkey slices for our dog, the smell of the turkey masks the smell of any pills so she can't smell them. Just wrap the pill in the slice and while the dog is chewing give it another slice to make it quickly finish the slice with the pill in it.
>>
>>2448450
>We are polite here
>Only people with mental problems are the dicks!

Do you see the doublespeak?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.