[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mimicry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

Shall we have a thread about cool animal mimicry? I'll start off with this weevil...
>>
>>2447738
..-assed cicada.
>>
A snek caterpillar
>>
File: IMG_6037.jpg (299KB, 1242x876px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6037.jpg
299KB, 1242x876px
>>
all of this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rainforests/sets/72157625349930585/page2
>>
>>2447738
>>2447740
Why would anything want to mimic a fucking weevil? Most useless adaptation out there desu
>>
>>2447758
Now this is fucking impressive.
>>
>>2447758
Why would you mimic another prey species? Are those some weird fly I don't know about?
>>
>>2447747
qt snek there
>>
>>2448065
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rainforests/13140241124/in/album-72157625349930585/
This guy explains the idea pretty well. The moth looks and smells like shit, even has worthless flies eating the shit. Birds too lazy to eat flies, things that eat flies probably can't see the mimicry anyway.
>>
>>2447758
I love poop mimics
>>
>>2448036
At first I thought that was a cordyceps infection.

now that would be cool to mimic
>>
File: cat-yawn.jpg (29KB, 355x238px) Image search: [Google]
cat-yawn.jpg
29KB, 355x238px
lol imma snek
>>
>>2448036
only shows how willingfully ignorant you are. Many birds attack insect's head as it kills the bug, and in this case, they would only damage his back where no organs are located.
>>
File: mimic.jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mimic.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
>>2447738
the mimic octopus is the best mimic animal around, and wicked smaht too
>>
File: Banded_snake_eel_Nick_Hobgood.jpg (3MB, 1477x1817px) Image search: [Google]
Banded_snake_eel_Nick_Hobgood.jpg
3MB, 1477x1817px
*hiss* *hiss*
Hello fellow snakes.
>>
Filefish mimics the toby due to the toby being filled with tetrodotoxin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMDM6tonWIc

Pic related is a bluestriped fangblenny. They mimic juvenile cleaner wrasses in order to get a quick bite at them. The blennies have an oversized fang filled with opioid venom. They get close by mimicking a wrasse and getting the fish to expose themselves. Next they bite and flee until the venom takes effect. The relaxed fish then gets a couple of small chunks taken out of it.

It should be noted however that some species of cleaner wrasse can be little shits too. Some species primarily gain nutrition from other fish's slime coating. They even have favorites like parrotfish and other wrasses. The benefits of parasite removal and occasional chasing outweighs the downfalls of getting nipped though. Fish also relax when getting parasites removed, which can lead to a bite at the slime coating.
>>
>>2451795
http://oceana.org/blog/certain-mental-tests-tiny-cleaner-wrasse-outperforms-chimps
Cleaner wrasse can get surprisingly complex with being bitey little shits.
>>
Mammals have to step up their mimic game.
>>
>>2447747
That's a caterpillar?
Is that actually a caterpillar?
>>
File: skeptical snektical.jpg (47KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical snektical.jpg
47KB, 640x640px
>>2451785
Something's fishy about that one.
>>
File: Fuck Spiders.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Spiders.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>2447738
>>
>>2451882
Oh wow. This is great.
>>
>>2452069
Oh wow, so the end of his tail looks like a juicy spider to lure in birds?
>>
Beefly looks like a spooky bee
>>
>>2453143
Yeah
>>
>>2453148
>when you try to look like a spooky bee but you actually look like a snuggy wuggy cutie pie
D'oh!
>>
>>2451930
they're typically the dominant species in their areas though due to size. Don't really need to mimic.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.