[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat General #4. Only one more month until school starts. Pre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 82

Cat General #4. Only one more month until school starts. Previous thread >>>2436604 Always looking for more/better info to add for OP. Feel free to reply to OP with suggestions
Here's a bunch of links no one will look at
Food & Nutrition
>http://catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%20Your%20Cat%20-%204%20pages%2011-13.pdf
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/
Outside Enrichment
>https://catiospaces.com
>http://www.adventurecats.org/backcountry-basics/train-your-cat-to-walk-on-a-leash/
Behavioral problems
>https://thecatsite.com/threads/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered.9563/
>http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/FelineBehaviorGLS.pdf
Kitten care
>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=912
Discord link goes to #mammal
>https://discord.gg/HQkud96
>>
>>2447726
Why is that cat outside?
>>
File: 20170804_151024.jpg (136KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_151024.jpg
136KB, 700x913px
I got this little girl a couple of days ago, she was a stray hanging out at a bar. She's amazingly friendly and calm considering I basically tricked her into a box and kidnapped her, I never expected her to be so clingy and affectionate so soon. She's doing really well with litter-training too. Thankfully she's free of fleas.

She seems to have been in the wars a bit though, while you can't really see it here one of her ears is somewhat crushed, and I can feel that her tail's been broken at some point. She's very bright, clean and alert though and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I'll be taking her to the vet on Sunday.
>>
>>2447733
>going to school
you have to be over 18 to post here
>>
File: cat.jpg (866KB, 1080x1800px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
866KB, 1080x1800px
cat
>>
When my cat is high on 'nip, she likes to play with anything that moves. This includes my hand. She doesnt ever bite or scratch it hard, and I find it cute, like we are bonding or some shit.. idk. Anyway, this had bad side effects: she nibbled at my hand and foot while I was asleep. How do I stop this menace from waking me from good restful sleep.
>>
File: 20170115_115511.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_115511.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Kot
>>
So I use Revolution for my cats to prevent fleas- at my last place I'd take them out for supervised yard time. I haven't in a while and I re-ordered some so I could do that again. One cat took it just fine, but the other's developed a scabby bald patch right where I dosed him. I got the meds through the site the damned vet office recommends, and they're from the same litter, so it's hard to figure out why they're having a different response.

Anyway tl;dr any other recommendations for flea meds not likely to burn the shit out of my poor cat?
>>
>>2447845
If your cat isn't sleeping through the night then she isn't getting enough activity during the day. Try to set up a schedule where you can wear her out in the evening and put her to sleep on a full stomach. If she's waking you for attention, she knows it works. Do your best to ignore her. If she's waking you because she's hungry, she associates your waking with her getting fed. Try to wait at least an hour after waking up in the morning before feeding her breakfast.
>>
>>2447918
Comfortis is popular/effective oral treatment. Or you could try a different topical that he might not react to. Advantage is probably the best to try next.
>>
>>2447845
Close her out of your room while you sleep?
>>
Am I an asshole for playing hide and seek with my cat? I'll lead him to one room and then go hide somewhere else. He'll slowly make his way back to my room and then when he sees I'm not in there he'll run around meowing frantically sometimes.

I was doing that today and he would sit and silently wait for me to come back. I even made noises while he was right next to me and he couldn't find me. By the end he was again walking around frantically meowing and sniffing around for me and I felt a little bad. He was super happy when I came out thought.

Its a really autistic thing to do but its fun
>>
Is it weird if I walk my cat with a leash? I got him about a month ago, and I think he was an outside cat before I got him because he seems desperate to get outside. The problem is that he's also declawed so I don't want to just let him out, not to mention I don't have much of a yard. I feel bad keeping him inside all the time
>>
>>2448206
>Is it weird if I walk my cat with a leash?
No. Harness training is becoming increasingly popular.
>>
>>2448027
>cats are nocturnal
>>
The cat I've had since I was small has cancer in her jaw and head. The vet said she has 1 to 6 months to live, but she's not in any pain right now, so putting her down isn't necessary at the moment. Holy fuck, I just lost my dog to old age, I can't believe this is happening.
>>
>>2447766
I'm a mature adult.

It's why I don't own cats.
>>
File: IMAG0584.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0584.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
So my gf moved in with me and brought her cat. He's cool n all but he has fits of heaving when excited. Like when we take him outside or play with him a lot he will start to heave almost like a furball but never coughs one up.
My girl said he has always done this but recently it is worse, going from once a week to every other day. He seems fine afterwards, going right back to playing and lifting him up by his armpits helps it subside sooner.
She claims he's three years old and he used to live in a big smokers home.
What's wrong with him? I sorta think he has asthma but I'm no vet.
>>
>>2448574
>I'm no vet
Take him to one. Also, while I'm sure you already do this, back off the play and let him breathe if it happens.
>>
>>2448574
Feline asthma. Youtube some videos of asthma attacks, they're distinctive but can be confused with hairballs. Attacks that frequent is serious. Talk to your vet about treatment options.
>>
>>2448630
Yep that would be it.
So take him to a vet which isn't an issue she has insurance for him.
They'll probably prescribe some vapors or drops for him?
>>
>>2448555
I'm really sorry anon. At least you can take care of it and give it some happy times. Your pet loves you very much and will soon be in an even better place
>>
>>2448657
In truth, I don't know much about treatment. I know there are both pill and aerosolized treatments for use with inhalers like the AeroKat. Your vet will also probably talk to you about things you can do around the house to reduce symptoms (limiting use of perfumes/fragrances, running an air purifier, never smoking indoors, etc.).
>>
>get job at low-cost emergency clinic
>multiple blocked cats literally every fucking day

If you have a male cat, PLEASE feed at least decent-quality food. This means: not Meow Mix, Science Diet, Whiskas, 9lives, Friskies, Fancy Feast, and most Purina, IAMS, and Hill's products - pretty much any dry food you can purchase at a grocery store or gas station. PLEASE feed at least supplemental canned food, ideally converting as much of your cat's diet to wet as you can afford. It is so fucking important.
>>
>>2448896
My cat refuses to eat wet so it's not an option. I feed him Authority and other similarly priced brands.
>>
>>2448731
Thank you, I really appreciate you saying that. Right now, she's going on like nothing's wrong. I've been depressed for the last two days, terrified of how this will go down. But until then, I'm spoiling the shit out of her.
>>
>>2448901
Authority isn't the worst you could be feeding. The dry formulas at least have meats as the first two listed ingredients, but the third and/or fourth are usually corn, which is a nutritionally useless filler starch in cat food. Starches fuck with the pH of a cat's urine and can contribute to the formation of crystals, accumulations of which can cause stones and blockages. They do have a grain-free formula available for only a couple bucks more that looks better. For around that price you could be getting a superior product, like Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul or Whole Earth Farms grain-free.

Think of it this way: would you rather be spending ~$8 more per month on cat food, or increase the chance of having to drop more than a thousand in one go at the vet's if he developed a urinary obstruction?
>>
>>2448896
Lost of good foods please?
>>
>>2448971
I'm in the process of making one now. However, the product research required does take time, and I'm working 10-hour shifts over the next two days. Will finish and post when I can
>>
>>2448546
My understanding is that they're more crepuscular, or active during dawn and dusk. I give my cat playtime in the morning and the evening and she consistently sleeps through the night.
>>
What's the monthly cost of you cats guys?

I'm intimidated by the people saying I need to dedicate a grand a month to one.
>>
>>2448971
Kibble: Orijen, Acana, Instinct, Fromm, Tiki Cat, Lotus, Open Farm, Nulo, Evo, PureVita, FirstMate, Zignature, Applaws. There are others out there, but those are just off the top of my head. Kibble is so cheap to feed to a cat that there's really no reason to feed anything lower quality. The more canned or raw food you can add into the diet, the better. Most of the brands listed above make good quality canned foods. There's also Weruva, Hound & Gatos, and Ziwi Peak that specialize in cans. What a lot of people don't realize that is feeding a frozen raw diet is less expensive (and in my opinion easier) than cans. Some good raw brands out there are Rad Cat, Instinct, Small Batch, Stella & Chewy's, and Primal, among others.
>>
>>2449087
I can't imagine how you could possibly spend a grand a month on one cat.

My monthly expenses:
Highest quality raw diet with some dry, cans, and treats mixed in: $100 max
Best litter I can find: $20
Miscellaneous (toys, dental, grooming): $10

Yearly vet visit: $60

Once every three years or so I'll replace her cat tree at about $200.

There's an initial startup cost for a carrier, collar, tag, bowls, brushes, nail trimmer, first-aid, etc. of maybe $100.
>>
>>2449096
I forgot pet insurance: $30/month
>>
>>2449096
Is there a certain breed that is more well adjusted to being solitary while I'm at Uni and work for the better part of many days?
>>
File: 1495343412930-co.jpg (104KB, 1024x727px) Image search: [Google]
1495343412930-co.jpg
104KB, 1024x727px
>>2449097
The only reason I had gotten a cat thus far, is defeated in two short words of an I industry i had not earthly idea existed.
>>
Guys I am literally in tears right now. My cat is missing, we can't find him anywhere. We searched the whole house and most of our neighborhood. What the fuck do I do? It's nighttime and I left a couple bowls of food outside.
>>
>>2449104
You're gonna have to give us a fuck load more information bub
>>
>>2449107
What do you need to know? I live in the suburbs, he's about 2 years old, he likes to hunt and kill things, like all cats. I just want to know how I can get him to come home. He's never been outside my backyard before.
>>
>>2449104
Leave a blanket or something that smells like you outside too. Cats usually hide very close by so he might decide to spend the night there.
>>
>>2449112
Well that's all good news. He's probably wondered off, thankfully cats aren't retarded and tend to wander back. He's not new to the outside world. Hopefully you haven't declawed him. The burbs shouldn't be too dangerous predator wise.

You need to call the non emergency number police and animal control in the morning and give a good description of your cat. Start putting up his picture and whatever cash reward you can muster up. Unfortunately, unlike dogs, lost cats don't make themselves obvious so looking for him by yourself probably won't turn up anything. Saturating your area with his picture would be time better spent.
>>
>>2449118
>>2449104

I'd imagine he's less than 100 yards from your house honestly
>>
>>2449104
Do NOT start your car before checking the wheel wells...
>>
>>2449104
Try putting the cat box outside so it can smell itself and home
>>
>>2449125
This is really really important.

Also if you haven't already you need to get a choke proof collar and microchip since he obviously likes to run off.
>>
>>2449125
Not just your wheel wells but the engine itself.

Cars are warm for hours afterwards and they will snuggle up in timing belts and be ripped to shreds on start up
>>
Okay, thank you everyone. I put his litter box outside and also some towels that I had used. He must have wandered off, I just hope he knows how to find his way back. He's really afraid of most people, so hopefully he stays out of roads.
>>
>>2449127
He's microchipped, but I've moved and I don't know how to update the address. I'll call the vet that microchipped him in the morning.
>>
>>2449120
This is generally the case, especially if you have a porch/deck they can hide under. When my cat "ran away" I just sat in the yard and after an hour she crawled out from somewhere under the front steps and walked over like nothing happened.
>>
>>2449134
That will help immensely. I really wouldn't be worried, he's probably just chilling somewhere and maybe wandered a bit munching on grass. With those scents at your house, he could find his way back a mile away.
>>
There seems to be a mouse or something in the flooring beneath my stove and my cat has spent the last three days doing almost nothing else but staring under the stove. Is he enjoying himself when he does it, or is it some sort of compulsion? Should I try to stop him from spending 10+ hours sitting there looking at it?
>>
>>2449148
>should I make this animal stop doing its job and doing what it wants in general to do what I want it to do?

What are you, the fucking government?
>>
>>2449148
unless it's not eating or drinking, what's the harm?
>>
Thank you for all your advice everyone, it really helped. I tried to sleep for over an hour, but I couldn't. Eventually I just decided to get up and walk around the house, and I saw him standing on my back porch. He's unhurt.
I've seriously never felt more relieved. I don't know what I'd do without my cat.
>>
File: IMAG0880.jpg (357KB, 1908x1172px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0880.jpg
357KB, 1908x1172px
What's wrong with this abandoned feral kitten?

The weird eye doesn't cause it any discomfort and it seems to be able to see ok, but I think there's a reason its mother abandoned it. It sneezes a lot too; maybe the messed up eye interferes with its sinuses.
>>
>>2447750
The crushed ear may have been an old hematoma. Good luck on your cat! I'd still suggest flea meds if you can afford it because you can bring fleas in that will live off your cat. Just in case you may want to have the vet check for a microchip.

>>2447918
Revolution is some hardcore shit, I'm not surprised it caused a reaction. You could try something like frontline.

>>2448093
If he's getting stimulation and he's not somehow hurting himself I think it's fine.
>>
can i feed my kot only dry food?
>>
>>2449262
Can you? Yes.

Should you? No, especially if it's male. Read up in the thread.
>>
>>2449207
Looks like possible head trauma coupled with an upper respiratory infection. No way to know for sure without seeing a vet.
>>
>>2449271
so how rarely can i feed him wet food?
(it is a male but neutered)
>>
>>2449087
>a grand a month
Only for kittens that still need their shots and surgery. Even then, that's excessive. I spend maybe $40/month on food (for 3) and $30 for litter. I get treats and shots free from work, but an annual vet visit and vacvines for an adult will be ~$120ish.

However, I 100% support having a grand in savings for medical emergencies for any pet.

>>2449098
>is there a certain breed
Ah, a dog person.

Ignore breeds in cats; 95% of them are mutts unless you spevifically buy from a breeder. Focus on age and temperament.

Everyone always wants a kitten or young cat, but older cats will require less space and stimulation to be happy. Are you in an apartment? Look for one around 7 years or older. Cats commonly live to be 17-20, so you'll still have plenty of time to spend with it.
>>
>>2449274
I wouldn't recommend any less frequent than several times per week. You can get pretty good quality food for around $1/5.5oz can and just feed him 1/4 of it once a day or every other day. It'll keep fine in your fridge if you seal it in a tupperware container. If he'll eat it with a little extra tap water mixed in, bonus points.
>>
Is it true that drizzling fish oil over dry food helps with kitty arthritis? My old lady cat sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies when she walks down the hall
>>
>>2449314
It might help a little, but there are joint supplements for cats that would be much more beneficial. Cosequin is one. Look for something with glucosamine and chondroitin.
>>
My cat just spent four hours sleeping in the sun and I'm so jealous of her
>>
>fat cat started vomiting
>just thought it ate something bad
>it started breathing heavily and foaming
>take to the vet
>had to let it go

how do i deal with this loss, my other cat isnt coping very well either, he would always jump on people and sleep there and purr, i miss him a lot and im afraid i wont ever start feeling better
>>
>>2449649
All my cat does is sleep.

She needs to fucking do something else.
>>
>>2449333
Seconding the Cosequin recommendation. My old girl acted 4-5 years younger.
>>
>>2448206
Leash walking cats is getting more popular but learn how to do it very slowly before bringing your cat outside and be cautious around loud noises and dogs.

>>2448555
F sorry about your cat

>>2449207
That kitten needs a vet asap. It's too old for a mother cat.

>>2449735
Everyone deals with loss differently you just have to find what works for you. Your cat will also have to get used to the change. Sorry for your loss
>>
File: IMG_20170725_160124.jpg (138KB, 780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_160124.jpg
138KB, 780x1040px
Our cat is pretty young (4 months) and is overall pretty fucking cool and all. There's one thing he does that I don't understand and I wanted to ask some advice.
Whenever he wants cuddles, if he smells my hair he'll start rubbing himself against it and lick it from time to time. His nose gets really humid during it.
He doesn't bite or chew it but he gets too pushy about it and becomes annoying. I also get the feeling it's some kind or dominance behavior...? honestly don't know, he's still a kitty.

For the record, I have long hair, and so do 2 of my roommates, but he only does this to me.
>>
File: IMG_20170806_153703.jpg (769KB, 2883x2039px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170806_153703.jpg
769KB, 2883x2039px
I'm getting my cat spayed tomorrow, pic related, her name is Athena.

I'm starting to have worries, though. She is a little over a year old, will her personality change?
>>
File: IMG_1518.jpg (955KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1518.jpg
955KB, 1920x1280px
>>2450158
My cat does this but only after I shower. Never thought too much of it to be honest
>>
File: IMG_1517.jpg (940KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1517.jpg
940KB, 1920x1280px
>>2450190
>>
>>2450190
>>2450192
I just wonder if it's sexual or just some kind of weird behavior he has
>>
File: IMG_3372.jpg (380KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3372.jpg
380KB, 1920x1280px
>>2450224
https://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/en/why-does-my-cat-lick-my-hair/

Looks like normal cat behavior
>>
>>2450237
Yeah but the thing is that he doesn't exactly lick my hair, he just rubs himself against it really hard and sometimes licks it.

Is it still the same?
>>
File: IMG_3375.jpg (271KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3375.jpg
271KB, 1920x1280px
>>2450259
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/bunting-behavior/

The behavior that is often described by cat parents as “heat butting” is actually head bunting. Cats have scent glands all over their body and they use them to leave a scent mark on objects (and in this case, YOU). The bunting and rubbing are reserved for bonding, social, comforting and friendly purposes. When your cat engages in head bunting or head rubbing, he is placing his scent there as a social and affectionate gesture.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I'd say it's pretty normal. Take it as a good sign
>>
>>2450267
ah I see, thanks. I just wanted to avoid him seeing me as his sexual partner or anything.
>>
>>2450271
Yeah, that could get pretty uncomfortable
>>
File: IMG_20170726_093811.jpg (2MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170726_093811.jpg
2MB, 2304x4096px
>>2450283
well thanks for all. Here, have anoyher pic of him, and may the gods of fluffyness be your way.
>>
File: IMG_3265.jpg (521KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3265.jpg
521KB, 1920x1280px
>>2450299
Anytime

Best of luck with your kitty
>>
>>2447726
My one cat always tries to get outside to roam around the exterior of the house and I end up having to chase him for a half hour before I can finally catch him.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make him simply not want to go outside?
>>
>>2450332
He's probably bored inside the house. You could try getting him some cat furniture or something fun to play. Make your house a more enjoyable place for him the live.
>>
Aight so I need to take this cat back. I've had her for 5 months now and I've really tried all I can but she's just too problematic. She shits on the floor (right in front of the litter box), she goes into my case of water and bites the water bottles so they start leaking everywhere, she broke all my blinds (not even playing in them, she's OBSESSED with going on the window sill but only when I go to sleep and every 10 minutes so that she makes mass noise and has to thump on the bed to go up and down). So anyway, she's going. I tried my best to wait it out and hope she'd get better but nah.

But I got another little guy. I don't want him to be alone, since he's maybe 3 months old (she was 1). They got along instantly so I feel bad if I take her away from him but it's just gotta happen...do I get another cat immediately for him? Would he be just as accepting as they were together? Should I try and get one closer to his age too? And last, will the spca let me take another cat if I take her to them. I'd call and ask but my phones mic is fucked so they couldn't understand a word I said.
>>
File: Snapchat-2087249719.jpg (388KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2087249719.jpg
388KB, 1080x1920px
>>2450445
This is them btw, obviously white one is the older one that I need to take back. It blows my mind that little dude is way better behaved than her.
>>
>>2450445
Have you taken her to the vet to make sure she's not sick? I don't think that's normal cat behavior. Are you beating her or something?

Also taking her in is basically a death sentence
>>
>>2450445
if you take her to the aspca, at least tell them you're doing it because you don't have enough time, or something else benign. if you tell them she has urination and behavior problems they will probably categorize her as unadoptable and put her to sleep immediately.
>>
>>2450447
I took her to a vet 3 times, 2 of the same vet and one for a different opinion. They don't seem to understand that she jumps up and down from the window sill every 10 minutes literally all night until I get sick of it and put them both out of my bed room (if I don't put him out with her she'll meow at the door all night and scratch at it). They seemed to think she was still adjusting to the move and that it's just her being a little annoying...but I call bullshit, it's been 5 months and like I said little dude doesn't have any of these issues. In fact I double need to get her gone because he's starting to pick up her meowing for no reason habit. I have hit her but lightly on the head to try and teach her not to jump on the window sill constantly. This was only after I tried a spray bottle, lemon juice on the window sill, blocking it with pillows, and double sided tape. She doesn't give a fuck about any of it. I'm not going to pick up her shit every day, twice a day off my floor and let my life get ruined by her, if it's a "death sentence" so be it, I'm done dealing with that and carpet washing my carpet every single week. She's very pretty so I'm sure she'll get picked up within a couple days of going back to the shelter. Now I know why she was there to begin with
>>
>>2450451
Yes, I planned on that. I noticed a lot of them there have those benign reasons and don't really have a history attached with them, probably because of similar stuff. I don't want her dead intentionally but I'm also not going to keep living like this.
>>
>>2450451
literally who cares?
it's a piece of shit
>>
>>2450457
Cats don't associate punishment with negative behavior. They associate punishment with people. Swatting at your cat and using a spray bottle will not deter a cat from doing anything, all it will do is make them hate you.

She's probably not a bad cat, you just pissed her off and now she hates you and wants to piss you off. Don't make the same mistake with your young kitty
>>
>>2450177
anyone?
>>
>>2450540
>hur dur she's just permanently mad at you and does everything out of malice
Stop being a retard. How do you explain her behavior BEFORE any punishment? Durp durp uh oh what happened to your theory? You act like i beat the ever loving piss out of the cat or slapped her hard. I picked her up off the window sill, patted her on the head and said stop. Spray bottle is generally an accepted behavior modifier, along with those other 2 methods to stop cats from getting on things (lemon juice and double sided tape). She's just an awful cat and needs to go back, she either got fucked by the previous owner before the spca (she did have a name a nigger would name their cat) or she's just a bad cat naturally. If I set up a camera, she's literally OBSESSED with that window. Like freaks out when she can't get to it and will constantly try to go back to it. She doesn't even stare out the window like you'd think a cat would want to do. she lays in the giant hole that she made in the blinds and lounges for a bit then jumps down and repeats.
>>
>>2450569
Shell probably get fatter easier and that's about it.
>>
>>2450569
No.
>>
>>2450657
You're upset. Calm down dude.

First off, climbing up to a window sill isn't bad behavior. Climbing and perching are fucking natural behaviors. Some cats have favorite spots, and that's hers. You can do two things. Either let it happen and ignore it, possibly move somewhere else if it's causing you a lack of sleep. Or you can put a giant fucking box over it and prevent her from doing it at all. It sounds like the blinds are always closed, so that window is pointless anyways.

Second off, a cat doesn't give a shit about what you want it to do. She clearly wants to go on that window sill whether you're there or not. She's not going to stop because she enjoys it. Maybe setup somewhere else she can perch and lookout the window, or just remove that window as an option completely.

Third off, a cat is not going to do anything to please you if you have no bargaining chips, which it sounds like you have none. Getting a kitty was probably a mistake because now she can get love and attention from him. You probably free feed too, so to her you're literally just the guy that puts the food out and cleans up her shit. She has no respect for you because to be honest, in a cat's eyes you don't deserve any. She doesn't understand that you rescued her and are giving her a home, even if she does she doesn't care.

To be honest, if I was a cat in your house, I wouldn't respect you. You sound like an autist. I probably wouldn't poop on your rug though, just for the simple fact that I know you're a man of little patience and will probably take me back to the pound to get executed.

Fuck off man, get a dog if you want a pet that will listen to you based off authority alone.
>>
File: Snapchat-1362442550-1.jpg (620KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1362442550-1.jpg
620KB, 1080x1080px
>>2450672
>little patience
>5 months of this shit
You live it, you'd last a week. You also project a lot, another sign of a weak person. I feed them on set times and a set amount. The only thing that sits out at all times is their water. You don't have very good reading comprehension or choose to ignore what I wrote to help your projection. She ignores her perch completely until I lay down at the bed. If I'm playing a game, I can look over and never see her in the window. I got the little guy because the symptoms she displays fits seperation anxiety and one of the things people post is that another cat helps
>get her a setup for a perch.
I had a cat tree for 3 weeks before I gave up and took it back. I even set it up at the window with the blinds open. Still the window sill. The reason the blinds are closed is because little guy gets jealous that he can't reach up there if he sees her. He also scratches at the blind strings when they're down but can't reach those either so it's an endless loop of jumping into the wall, pretty entertaining but also not ideal during bed time. There's a reason she was at the spca to begin with while being so gorgeous. I found out the reason and am done dealing with it. It's also a no kill shelter and I've been thinking of taking her to a siamese shelter anyway, since she's part. Try some projection that works next time honey :) it falls apart besides the reasons I've listed because little guy doesn't give me any problems at all
>Inb4 "duuurr he too young!!" And if you think I'm some monster for this, you are crazy. I seriously tried so hard for her and will even miss her. During the quiet moments, just laying with them or playing (she was very entertaining when playing, always did a wiggle then BIG pounce whereas he just is attack attack attack at all times). You just hit a point where you can't continue shit that clearly isn't working.
>>
holy shit you guys my indoor cat just caught a mouse. it's still alive and every time he puts it down it tries to run away. now he's just walking around holding it. what should i do??
>>
>>2450791
Kill the mouse humanely. Then gut it out, buy a small circuit board and put it inside the mouse. Make it into your pc mouse, stitch it back up after running the wire through its mouth. That way your cat knows how proud you are of it and you get a free mouse.
>>
>>2450791
okay eventually the mouse stopped moving around as much when he put it down and i was able to trap it in a box. i put it outside across the street. i'm pretty sure the mouse was in a bad way so he's probably not coming back...

>>2450798
lmao
>>
>>2450798
bro...
>>
File: IMAG0409[2].jpg (336KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0409[2].jpg
336KB, 1080x1920px
What can I do/buy that will keep my buddy entertained during the day when I start work?
He's an outside cat but I keep him inside when I'm not home.
It's been really cold here lately so he barely goes out and I wanted to buy him a fish tank or something to look at.
>>
File: 1333820405802.jpg (62KB, 709x495px) Image search: [Google]
1333820405802.jpg
62KB, 709x495px
>>2451033
>outside cat
get ready for the shitstorm
>>
>>2451033
Another cat
>>
>>2451033
You can leave the tv on. Sometimes when I'm lazy I leave my computer on repeat of a bunch of different birds. There's also food puzzle toys like kitty kongs and a ton of DIY shit you can make. There's automatic laser pointers you can set on a timer. Interactive toys like that ball on a track. Cat nip balls are always a safe bet. There's really a lot.

>>2451233
This could be a hit or a miss but at the end of the day you will still have to stimulate 2 cats instead of one. Most cats tolerate each other, but not really interact in a playful manner besides young cats and kittens. At best you get some cats that will occasionally cuddle, at worst you will have to get rid of a cat or one will run away because they are outdoors most of the time.

>>2450445
why would you get two cats when you can't take care of one? I don't understand this logic.

>>2450657
Read OP. Why does no one actually look into their problems before wanting it spoon fed to them. I swear to christ cat owners are the laziest of the pet owners
>>
>>2451033
Fish tank would be fun.

Window perch with birdfeeder hung outside. Treat/food balls that dispense kibble when rolled. Cat grass. Hide treats around the house for him to treasure hunt while you're gone. Rotate toys every several days so they seem "new".
>>
File: 1500684648022.jpg (198KB, 800x994px) Image search: [Google]
1500684648022.jpg
198KB, 800x994px
>>2450657
>she did have a name a nigger would name their cat
You kinda sound like a nigger yourself. Or maybe just a retard?
>>
Holy shit I just found out that dry food is really bad for your cat.
wtf do i just feed him 2 cans of wet food a day and occasionally a chicken neck?
why does my vet lie to me?
>>
File: cat tree.jpg (224KB, 998x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cat tree.jpg
224KB, 998x1500px
I think I'm getting a cat tree. Any suggestions? I'm looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ100/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's cheap enough, looks comfy, and has good reviews. What do you guys think? Do you have any better ones?
>>
>>2451432
What age/how much does your cat weigh? The standard is 1 5.5oz can per day, half in the morning and half at night. You could do two 3oz cans per day but the larger ones are a better value.

Dry food isn't terrible unless you feed it exclusively and/or feed bottom-barrel shit like Meow Mix, and your vet isn't lying. Most of them just don't know jack shit about pet food and are taught "nutrition" by big brand representatives like Purina. I've sat through one of their presentations - they make it sound convincing if you haven't done any research of your own.

>>2451522
Looks nice enough. You can make your own or get a nice used one on Craigslist for half the price, though.
>>
File: 20170603_173050.jpg (762KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_173050.jpg
762KB, 1536x1536px
How do I stop this guy from trying to lick lotion off my arms all the time
>>
>>2451562
Is Applaws a good brand for wet food?
I give him Optimum dry food, its best brand in my country.
How often should you give chicken necks?
I'm thinking dry food in the morning, a <100g can of wet food at night and a couple times a week substitute wet food for a chicken neck.
Let me know what you think. He's quite a small cat, not sure exact weight.
>>
>>2451522
Does your cat even like climbing? 90% of the time they like the box better
>>
>>2451610
What I did was gently push them away and say "nuh-uh" literally 5,000 times until they got the message.
>>
>>2451615
I have a little tunnel thing for her. She likes climbing things, one of her favorite spots is the coffee table. I think she'll like this, especially right by my patio door.
>>
>>2451628
>>2451522
I think she'd like it, but obviously she'll be the final judge. Put it by a window if possible, or overlooking a door, and maybe toss a treat or two onto it to bribe her into liking it. It took my cat a week or two to get used to her tower.
>>
>>2451522
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ1I2/ from the same company and my cat likes it a lot, especially the higher ledges. the one you linked is probably fine.
>>
>>2451611
Ugh, yeah, Optimum is no good. Questionable meat sources, shit tons of filler.

Applaws makes excellent wet food. Their dry is also high-quality if you can get ahold of it in your country.

I dunno about chicken necks. I guess give whenever you feel like it.
>>
File: IMG_2804.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2804.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Fuck Renal Failure.
>>
i'm not loaded with money but i do love my cat. i try to feed her with wet food as much as i can, but dry food is just cheaper in the end for the quantity. i do feed her wet food everyday, but its just one small can split in half. she gets one half in the morning before i go to work, and the second half when i come home. but she always has her bowl filled with kibble. i've been feeding her blue buffalo wilderness for her dry food and nulo for her wet food. i know there are probably better alternatives but its the best i can do and honestly she eats better than i do.
>>
So I got my male cat neutered about 3 weeks ago. But I had a look and he still has one testicle.

I know the sac remains until it's reabsorbed by the body so I had assumed until now it was just the sac. It had always looked like one side was bigger than the other but I just decided to leave it a bit. But I felt around there and on one side there is definitely still a testicle in there, while the other is the empty sac with just tissue inside.

What the fuck? Is this normal?
>>
File: IMG_20170809_195507.jpg (219KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170809_195507.jpg
219KB, 1280x960px
>>2451809
Forgot to attach pic, here is the lad
>>
My old housemate used to complain about my indoor cat, saying they feel sorry for it being locked inside and that it's not normal, cats are supposed to be outside etc. And I don't just mean their preference, they literally argued it's uncommon to have an indoor cat. When I asked why things like litter trays and general indoor cat products exist they never had a response though.

Was this person insane or am I just being too sensitive about it because it's my cat? They didn't give a shit about the cat btw, in fact they always let the cat out of the house because they weren't watching the door and it pissed me off to no end.
>>
>>2451815
Indoor-outdoor cats are by far the most common, but it's not rare to have an indoor only either.
>>
>>2451819
Yeah, I was just reluctant being when I was younger my indoor-outdoor cat was attacked outside my door by a dog and killed. Had to go and pick her body up off the street after the dog let her go

Since then I have been extremely uncomfortable letting my cats outdoors. I spend the entire time worrying and I can't help it
>>
>>2451815
>they literally argued it's uncommon to have an indoor cat
well thats just retarded
i personally think its cruel but obviously a lot people keep their cats inside only
>>
>>2451854
So why do you think it's cruel? I mean, the way a lot of people do it without providing stimulation to replace going outside is, but how is it inherently cruel? I just want to know your reasoning if you don't mind.
>>
>>2451857
The possibility of picking up worms/fleas/other parasites. The possibility of running into feral animals and getting into fights. The possibility of getting hit by a car. The possibility of someone just fucking thinking the cat is wild and takes it for themselves. The list goes on. Even if you take care of parasites and be sure to feed it fully and daily, you can't stop the other dangerous situations happening to it. Thats the idea of having ownership over a living thing, its your responsibility to protect it and care for it. And you can't do that if you tell fluffy to fuck off into the great unknown for 12 hours a day.

Your roommate implying its uncommon to keep indoor only cats is actually retarded and he has no leg to stand on. The only reason that there are more outside cats is because there are so many shithead owners who let their unfixed animals out and letting them breed uncontrollably.
>>
I once had a stray that was hanging around my house for several months. It got to the point where she started to run inside the door whenever she could. After a long time we decided to keep her as our own, but before we got the chance to neuter her, she had 3 babies (all boys) under my bed. We intended to rehome them ourselves after a few months with their mother, but then she had another 5 babies (3 boys, 2 girls). Stupidly we didn't even realise she was pregnant.

Anyway, we made the very very hard decision of deciding to keep the initial 3 babies and rehoming the remaining 5 along with the mother. First we took the mother and the 2 girls (at about 8 weeks) to be rehomed, with the boys supposed to be going after.

But in that time, we became attached. Of course anyone would after you hand raise and watch 6 kittens grow together. And to this day, those 6 boys are all together still (age 3). We got them all neutered and stuff and couldn't bear the thought of some stranger doing god knows what to them.

Yeah I know it's probably pathetic to have 6 cats, but I don't care. They will soon be split into 2 groups of 4 and 2, as I am taking 2 for myself and my girlfriend when we move in together soon (will leave the 4 with parents)

Anyway I'll post pics of each after this. They are all beautiful cats and I get made fun of for having them, but I'd rather that than not have them somewhere I could still know them.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225711.jpg (621KB, 978x1226px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225711.jpg
621KB, 978x1226px
>>2451889
This is Socks, part of the first litter of boys
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225416.jpg (634KB, 978x1193px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225416.jpg
634KB, 978x1193px
>>2451894
Charlie. He is specifically my cat, as I moved away for a short time and took him with me. He is one of the 2 I will take to live with my gf

Part of second litter
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225532.jpg (792KB, 978x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225532.jpg
792KB, 978x1195px
>>2451895
This is Grey. Probably the lowest maintenance cat I've ever seen. You don't see him most of the day but when he comes to you he is clean and always well behaved.

Part of second litter (is it a litter for cats?)
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225234.jpg (492KB, 1032x796px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225234.jpg
492KB, 1032x796px
>>2451897
This is Milo. Part of the older litter
>>
File: bird.jpg (542KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
542KB, 1280x1707px
>>2451872
Oh, I'm not the roommate guy but I am the one you responded to and I guess I just got confused, I thought you meant that keeping cats indoor only is cruel. Sorry.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225201.jpg (602KB, 978x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225201.jpg
602KB, 978x1205px
>>2451898
Charlie again on the left, but on the right is White.

Yeah Grey and White are terrible names, but initially when we didn't intend to keep them, we differented them with those words. But after a while they felt right and despite attempting to rename them (White to Kimba, Grey to Dorian) White and Grey fit too well. That and they responded to them

Part of the second litter, White is a very very timid cat who is terrified of absolutely anyone he doesn't know
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225821.jpg (484KB, 746x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225821.jpg
484KB, 746x1250px
>>2451900
This is Spike. And I have a pretty crazy story about him.

Spike used to sleep on top of a closet that's maybe 2m off the ground. One day while asleep, he slid off and hit the ground, started vomiting instantly, eyes rolling in his head and neck tilting to the side. We took him to the vet immediately who said we can either try some short term concussion meds or send him away for a $3000 brain scan. We chose to try the short term first, and he got about 90% back to normal within a day, so the vet said he would be good like that.

About 4 months later he suddenly started to lose function in his front legs, and was becoming paralysed. We took him to a different vet who said, we can put him down, get the brain scan or go on long term meds. He also told us the brain scan was pointless as the likely treatment would be the same meds we could give him right now, so we picked the meds. he was so bad that the vet didn't expect them to really fix him as he had permanent brain damage as a result of not being treated for those 4 months. He blamed the previous vet for giving wrong advice to us.

Now it's been 8 months since that and he is 100%, off meds and the happiest he's ever been. The vet was so happy to see him for his recent check up and called him a miracle.

Spike is the other cat I am taking with me, along with Charlie. I grew close to him throughout his ordeal, especially when people around me were trying to push for him being put down, as there was no way he could come back from paralysis or brain damage.

He's a damn tough one. Also the nicest cat of the bunch, never angry or fighting with the others, and loves people
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809-225605.jpg (391KB, 978x626px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809-225605.jpg
391KB, 978x626px
>>2451904
And just a bonus pic of Charlie, Grey and White
>>
>>2451104
what's wrong with an oustside cat? I never had an indoor cat
>>
>>2451905
Cute cats. Seems like you provided a really good home for them
>>
>>2451899
What kind of cat is this?
>>
>>2451734
FUCK renal failure. I had two cats - sisters - that both ended up with CRF because my folks didn't know any better and fed them horseshit Science Diet dry their entire lives. One lived two years on 1x/week subq fluids, the other four years, but the latter also developed secondary hypertension and went blind for a full week after her retinas detached. Thankfully they re-attached and regained sight after she got started on blood pressure meds. It's the only time in my life I've ever cried out of joy, that moment I realized her eyes were following me as I walked soundlessly across the room.

I'm sorry, anon. It's frustrating and heartbreaking to watch them waste away. It's been four years since my old girl died but I still frequently dream that I forgot she was still alive and panic because I haven't given her fluids in way too long.

>>2451774
Wilderness dry and Nulo canned are both very good foods. You're doing a great job, anon. Just watch out with the free-feeding, since some cats are poor self-regulators (especially if they were strays at some point) and can become overweight very quickly.

>>2451894
>>2451895
>>2451897
>>2451898
>>2451900
>>2451904
>>2451905
Good boys all. They're lucky to have you.
>>
So I've been in the process of introducing two adult male cats and have encountered a problem that I'm not too sure how to deal with.
The resident cat is Anders, a big orange 2 year old who i dont have much of a history on (though I got him from a big open room cat shelter and he seemed to do well with everyone there), and the newcomer is Flash, an even bigger 3 year old who is friendly but has zero social skills with humans or other cats.
They've been acclimating to each other for about a month now, and I've finally become comfortable letting them out together. They mostly ignore each other, and overall things seem to be going well.
My problem is that Anders is very upset by change, and when Flash is in visual range he seems to have frustration slowly build up until he either fucks up his scratching post, kicks a toy, or attacks Flash. I've handled cat agression before but this seems different, there hasn't been a single hiss or growl, no puffed tails (except for Flash when he's getting attacked, poor guy), and when Anders finally attacks he always just calmly strolls up before getting him. He also responds if I tell him to stop, but this increases his frustration and makes it more likely that he'll attack later on.
How do I handle this? Is there any way to prevent him from getting so upset?
>>
File: 20170809_141044.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170809_141044.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2452211
Pic related, Anders staring resentfully at Flash.
>>
>>2450158
He thinks you smell strange and wants you to smell like home.
>>
>>2452211
They're both neutered?
>>
>>2452211
How often do you play with him? Big guy will have less energy to channel into frustration/aggression if he gets it out via play.
>>
File: 1471063626299.jpg (104KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471063626299.jpg
104KB, 600x1000px
Just bought my cat some of this to start feeding him, is it a good choice? I was gonna buy some of the corresponding wet food once I had more money in a couple of weeks too.
>>
>>2452371
Great food. Instinct is one of the best dry brands money can buy.
>>
My cat won't eat dry food at all, she literally is only eating canned stuff. That's fine, I just don't have the time to feed her 3-4 times a day. The cans she's eating is 75cals, and I feed her twice a day, so she's only getting 150 calories. According to everything I've read, she needs about 240 calories a day.

I leave food out for her to nibble on, but she doesn't eat it. Any tips? Will she eventually eat the dry food if she gets hungry enough? Or will she literally just starve?
>>
>>2452395
Nice, good to know.
>>
>>2452398
Feed her when you wake up, when you get back, and then again before bed? Usually people have a few hours between arriving home and going to sleep.
>>
>>2452398
Can't you feed her another can split between the two meals? Like feed her a can and a half in the morning, stick the half can in the fridge during the day, then feed that and another can at night.
>>
>>2452425
>>2452426
I feed her at 7am and 7pm right now. I can't really feed her much earlier than that, because I work until like 6.

One night I tried feeding her a 3rd can at like 11pm, but she only ate a tiny bit of it. Her appetite in general seems weird.
>>
>>2449097
Which insurance did you go with? Currently trying to decide between ASPCA and healthy paws
>>
File: IMG_2793.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2793.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2452114

TY, tbf I put her down 8 hours prior to post. This is the day before.
>>
File: IMG_1449.jpg (1MB, 2048x2730px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1449.jpg
1MB, 2048x2730px
Poor guy had to get his left eye removed due to a really serious infection. Thankfully he made a full recovery.
>>
>>2452257
Both neutered as kittens from what I was told
>>2452298
I play with him throughout the day and take him on long walks outside, he gets bored with playing relatively quickly though
>>
File: Cat-in-trap.jpg (537KB, 1200x1031px) Image search: [Google]
Cat-in-trap.jpg
537KB, 1200x1031px
There's a bunch of feral cats and kittens in my neighborhood. How do I start trapping them for TNR?
>>
File: mongo.jpg (63KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mongo.jpg
63KB, 1080x1080px
This big fluffy boy is 9 years old today.
>>
Is it acceptable to keep a pregnant cat confined to a single room in order to force her to give birth in that area? Our cat was nesting under the bed and my girlfriend didn't want any of that, so now she (the cat, not the girlfriend) is locked in the bathroom. We've cleared out the closet and put a box back there for her and tried to make it as comfortable as possible, but she seems really lonely and still tries to get out when I come to check on her.
>>
Going to put down my 22 year old cat today. :(
>>
>>2451899
>>2451987
Is this a cat in a hat?
>>
>>2452796
RIP in peace. I'm sorry bro
>>
>>2452784
That's fine but the minute you open the door she will take her kittens elsewhere, so she will have to stay there until the kittens are old enough to not need to nurse, so about 6 weeks. Cats are well known for moving their kittens after birth. Make sure she has a nice nesting spot in the bathroom that's big enough for her and her kittens, is warm, padded, secluded and in a dim area. If not, she may abandon the kittens or the kittens may just die from inadequate housing or stress. Keep in mind cats can get pregnant as early as 2 days after they give birth and kittens become sexually mature as early as 4 months old.
>>
>>2452879
Okay, thanks. How big is 'big enough?' she has the entire walk-in closet to herself as well as the little anteroom off to the side so I'm hoping that's enough space. It's about 13 feet by 5 feet so it's long and narrow. It's definitely padded, secluded, dim, and warm, so that shouldn't be an issue.

As far as her moving the kittens I sort of figured that would end up happening, my girlfriend's concern is less about having kittens wandering around and more about the cat making a huge bloody mess under the bed.
>>
>>2449091
I feed my cats the trimming from chicken, pork, and beef as I am portioning meat. Just give them the raw meat. They love that shit and when ever they hear me sharpening my knives they come a running.

Are they going to die?
>>
>>2452869
Thank you, it has been done.
He went peacefully purring in my arms.

When does the pain stop?
>>
>>2452891
I do the same. Also with cheese. My cat is obsessed with cheese.
>>
>>2452879
>kittens will knowingly fuck their mother and impregnate her
jesus
>>
I recently got a kitten, she's doing great and everything's fine so far. She's 11 weeks old now, I've had her for a week.I got one of those grass scratching posts without really thinking about it. She doesn't seem to like it at all, despite finding the noise the ball on top of it makes when I shake it quite interesting. I've tried to sort of show her she can claw it and I've tried putting a little bit of catnip spray on it, but no dice. Is the grass too rough for her paws right now or something? It seems like she doesn't like how it feels.

Should I try one of those cardboard scratchers instead? She claws the furniture a bit (np, it's all old hand-me-downs) and occasionally one of her cardboard boxes. I'm not worried about her "acting out" or anything, just want to make sure she likes her toys.

I think I sorta went wild just buying shit, she's terrified of the fountain I got her and it doesn't make any noise or anything. Doesn't like her bed, either.
>>
>>2453201
Kittens don't react to catnip. Put treats on it instead.
>>
>>2453201
Nix that furniture clawing in the butt now, because with the lifespan of cats, you might want to own something you don't want torn up in the future. Give her lots of options as good things to claw with lots of praise and treats, and she will let you know her preferences.
>>
>>2453201
Try dangling strings or wand toys on the scratcher to encourage her to claw into it. Also make sure it's in a populated area of the house - cats don't want to go all the way to a deserted laundry room or something to scratch.

Some cats do have material preferences for scratch posts. Sissal rops, natural wood, cardboard, and carpet are all options, vertical, diagonal, and horizontal. She should like one of them.
>>
>>2453203
>>2453206
>>2453260
Thanks! I'll see if I can buy or scavenge some more things for her to scratch, along with trying to convince her to use the Sisal post I already have. I don't really mind paying for nice food and most of the toys are pretty cheap but all these posts and furniture and shit are so expensive for what they are. I'm starting to wonder how easy it would be to make it myself. I'm not the handiest person but I come from a whole family of engineers and have access to lots of tools and materials.
>>
>>2447726
>Have cat
>Occasionally dogsit for my uncle and aunt when they travel.
>My kitteh and their dog get along.
>However, when it comes time for water, they will inevitably prefer to steal water out of each other's bowls than drink from their own bowls.
>I literally give them the exact same stuff.
Why, you ridiculous creatures?
>>
File: nancy come home.png (270KB, 400x360px) Image search: [Google]
nancy come home.png
270KB, 400x360px
>tfw my cat is missing
what do
>>
>>2453294
They're very easy and much cheaper to make with scrap materials. I'm retarded with tools and construction but still managed to slap a decent post and tree together for my three nerds with some help from my handier dad. They're still using both daily four years later, never touched the furniture.
>>
File: Skittles2.jpg (17KB, 288x480px) Image search: [Google]
Skittles2.jpg
17KB, 288x480px
I found this kitten in a dumpster starving and filthy. 10/10 best cat I've ever had, really quick to train already taught her basic commands. Why would someone throw away such a perfect cat?
>>
File: 20170811_002029.jpg (1017KB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_002029.jpg
1017KB, 2896x2896px
Reposting here since that makes more sense

I was out drinking with some friends
We called it a night and while we were having a few last words in the parking lot I noticed a pack of cats by the bushes
This little fella saw us and just casually walked towards us and started rubbing himself against our legs
I pet it and it just stuck around
Kinda felt bad for the little fella so I decided that if he let me pick him up I'd take it home and feed it it at the very least
Turned out to be super cuddly and I sorta want to keep it now
What do?
I'm taking it to the vet tomorrow to get its shots or whatever it is cats get. I'll have it neutered too since it still has those (how I figured out it was a dude)
>>
File: 20170811_002920.jpg (590KB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_002920.jpg
590KB, 2896x2896px
>>2453409
Ran out and grabbed what I thought would be the basics and a few toys for now
Little guy is passed out next to me
Absolutely freaking adorable, anytime I placed my hand down he'd go and lay his head on it and hug it
>>
>>2452954
You were both fortunate enough to have a good end, consider yourself lucky. Get another cat when you're ready
>>
>>2453390
She looks real friendly.
>>
File: Fatty.jpg (169KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Fatty.jpg
169KB, 1200x1600px
Bought my first cat last week.
Her name is Fatty Bolger.
>>
File: 1484140036596.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1484140036596.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>2453485
>bought
>>
>>2453409
>>2453411
congratulatins anon, i hope you both have good times ahead

post here often
>>
>>2453485
>Bought
>My cat

You can't just like own a cat man. Don't declaw her please :(
>>
>>2453409
>>2453411
>>2453498
Update
Just dropped him off at a clinic
Getting him hooked up with rabies, fel v, fvrcp, deworming, tick and flea check and removal, neuter with pain meds for about $100
I think that's a good deal, I don't know a lick about cats.
>>
File: 2017-06-22 07.27.37.jpg (654KB, 2125x1196px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-22 07.27.37.jpg
654KB, 2125x1196px
Cats?
>>
File: 20170811_143939.jpg (1MB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_143939.jpg
1MB, 2896x2896px
>>2453645
Follow up
He's back home and just hanging out with me now
He meows when I go away and quiets down when I lay next to him, adorable little fucker
I think I'll keep him
>>
File: cat.jpg (100KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
100KB, 645x380px
i like how active this thread is
>>
>>2453869
Uhhh yeah that cats yours bro enjoy your cat
>>
>>2453869
He let you rub his belly, you've got to keep him now
>>
>>2453869
What a sweet lad.

Take care of him
>>
File: 1352641628686.jpg (58KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1352641628686.jpg
58KB, 720x540px
i wish i had a cat
>>
My sister's about to bring her cat over while she goes on a work trip. My old lady cat isn't going to like this. I wish they could get along ._.
>>
>>2453973
Get one then. Millions of cats around the world are sitting in a shelter right now, and will probably be killed if no one adopts them
>>
File: 20170812_023429.jpg (719KB, 991x1346px) Image search: [Google]
20170812_023429.jpg
719KB, 991x1346px
Mein Coon
>>
>>2453995
Nice rug.
>>
File: 20170811_190736.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_190736.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Not my cat, but just went to my friend's house and this is their 6 month old
>>
>>2454007
Thanks, it's older than most people here
>>
>>2453869
sweet kitty. take good care of him.
>>
what breed is this?
>>
>>2454217
Unless you know for sure then it's a 100% genuine domestic cat
>>
>>2454221
w-what?
>>
>>2454111
seems chill for a 6 month old
>>
>>2454222
>>2454217
gook
>>
>>2454262
wew i just wanna know the cat's breed ;_;
>>
>>2454217
Its a chink
>>
>>2454279
You can't know for sure unless you either have breed papers or take it to a breed specialist.

It's just a gray tabby cat from what I can tell
>>
>>2454222
Looks like a kot to me
>>
File: 20170812_182813.jpg (446KB, 900x925px) Image search: [Google]
20170812_182813.jpg
446KB, 900x925px
>>2454222
>>2453995
I also have a standard issue domestic cat picked up from a shelter
>>
>>2453485
How much?
Most kittens you can get for free btw..
>>
My cat is trying to kill me
>>
>>2454558
F
>>
It's Saturday night boys, post your kots/koshkas.
>>
File: jesse in the tunnel.jpg (261KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
jesse in the tunnel.jpg
261KB, 756x1008px
>>2454753
I forgot to post my koshka
>>
File: kitten.png (1MB, 671x827px) Image search: [Google]
kitten.png
1MB, 671x827px
My kitten.
>>
>>2454768
Your Kitcat looks like the alien from Independence Day
>>
File: kitten2.png (1MB, 897x899px) Image search: [Google]
kitten2.png
1MB, 897x899px
>>2454772
Maybe a little.
>>
Sleeping with my new kitten locked in a room with me so my grumpy old cat doesn't murder her in the night. The things I do for these fuzzballs
>>
File: IMG_2549.jpg (1014KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2549.jpg
1014KB, 3264x2448px
Glad I found this, almost fucked up and made a thread about my dumb ass question.
Anyway pic related although terrible quality (suns setting) my cat WONT lay on my chest. I can pick him up, sleep with him, whatever else, but if it's him on top of me he refuses. Is it some cat-respect thing, or does he live in fear that I'll eat him or some shit?
>>
>>2454789
Does he sit on your lap at all? Some cats just aren't comfortable sitting on people
>>
>>2454789
Cats are cats. They have their individual preferences. My cat didn't sleep on my chest until I lost 60 lbs, I guess it wasn't comfortable until then.
>>
>>2454809
Yeah! He lets me do literally anything but gets all weird and wide eyed if I put him on my chest. Anything else goes haha

>>2454812
Very true! I just find it fascinating and I wish I understood what the hell hes thinking. Oh well!
>>
would it be dumb to take a stray to the vet?

noticed some hairloss on this cat is getting worse
>>
>>2454924
Not at all. I'm part of a TNR program (trap neuter release) contact them and tell them there's a sick looking feral and you need assistance trapping. They may even help cover the cost. The feral neutered colonies we feed daily are often re-trapped if injured or sick, treated and released again. Good question and I'm glad you care dude
>>
File: tumblr_od659d6l7A1s7p1n4o1_1280.jpg (282KB, 956x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od659d6l7A1s7p1n4o1_1280.jpg
282KB, 956x1280px
my cat hates me i think

>rescue cat from a shitty pet shop
>he was the runt of the litter, missing fur on his tail
>was just there to get hamster food or some shit, pet store owner said he'll put him down because he's worthless
>steal him
>spoil the shit out of him

fast forward 8-10 years later
>beautiful healthy cat
>won't let me touch or pet him
>growls if i do
>have never ever abused him
>had to buy giant hawk gloves and a weighted towel just to clip his nails
>took him to the vet because i thought maybe he had something wrong with his kidneys
>when i lifted him he'd make these angry meowls so just connectin the dots
>urine analysis and a hundred or so dollars later
>"he's very healthy for his age!"
>mfw

also i told the vet assistant before taking him in to get the big gloves ready, brought him in and he was gentle as a lamb/didn't hiss once.

my cat's a fucking asshole
>>
File: IMG_4568.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4568.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
adopted this brat earlier this year and he's pretty great
>>
File: Fluff.jpg (3MB, 2984x3111px) Image search: [Google]
Fluff.jpg
3MB, 2984x3111px
I found this guy as a kitten about four years ago.
He's incredibly laid-back and he loves everyone.
I recently found that he is allergic to something in our home, but I can't figure out what it is.
>>
File: Two Face.jpg (80KB, 488x648px) Image search: [Google]
Two Face.jpg
80KB, 488x648px
>>2452644
Please tell me you renamed him "Two Face"
>>
File: IMG_9721.png (200KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9721.png
200KB, 750x1334px
>>2453306
>my cat is missing
First read >pic related
Then read the rest of the thread.
If he doesn't come back after a day, you should probably print off some "missing" posters and disperse them around the neighborhood and to neighbors especially. You could also call animal control and see if they picked up any cats matching her collar/chip/description.
>>
>>2447726

What is your opinion on the bengal breed of cat?

I love mine, he's got such a personality! He's loud though, and he hates being a house kitty- he loves going outside and in the car for adventures; like walks on a leash or in his pack.
>>
>>2455056
All cats are good cats. Bengals are pretty
>>
Sup /cat/, i have a 1,5 year old maine coone, he's very playful, tends to run around a lot and very friendly, healthy cat overal. The problem is, he doesn't like to sit on my lap/lie near me when i'm on the couch or wherever. Anything that can be done about this? My old cat used to sleep near me all the time and i kinda miss that.
>>
Guys there's a moth on my patio door and my cat is clawing at it desperately. I feel so bad for her. Should I try and trap the moth and bring him inside or something? I don't want to open the door, because that's just opening a can of worms
>>
>>2449091
Is Natural Balance wet food any good to keep crystals from forming. I'm feeding both my cats the dry right now.
>>
File: IMG_6487.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6487.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
My princess
>>
>>2455176
She's just having fun. If she got to murder it then the fun would end
>>
File: 20170813_154441.jpg (776KB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_154441.jpg
776KB, 2896x2896px
>>2453409
>>2453411
>>2453645
>>2453869
So this little guy is still being awesome and I'm definitely keeping him. When I found him he was extremely malnourished, still is, he's very skinny.
I've been feeding him kitten food, both dry and wet.
I'm completely new to cats and have been crash coursing all the knowledge I can find online on them.
I read that kitten food is loaded with more nutrients so my logic is that it'll get him up to a healthy weight faster.
Once he's up there what brands do you guys recommend? I keep getting several different leads online so I figured I'd take your guy's advice.
>>
>>2453899
this is a cute dog
>>
>>2454977
>shitty pet shop
There's your problem. Poor breeding/shitty socialization in early life.

>>2455160
Might just be a personal preference. You could move his favorite beds with treats next to areas you frequent. It may also come with age; my old girl didn't slepe with me until she was about 8-10, but after that we were inseparable.

>>2455206
10/10 would worship.

>>2455197
Natural Balance is a decent brand, pretty middle-of-the-road. It's no Friskies but no Tiki Cat either. Wet is infinitely superior re: crystal formation inhibition no matter what brand you're considering, though.

>>2455490
>I read that kitten food is loaded with more nutrients so my logic is that it'll get him up to a healthy weight faster
Good!

What's your price range? Wet >>> dry, but it's okay to cut wet food with decent quality kibble to save costs. My own three cats are on a 50/50 wet-dry diet.
>>
>>2455627
Maybe I'm too new for all this and will come off as an asshole but my price range would be about $100 a month
Is there something in that range that would work for him?
I'm still going to school and won't start my career until next year
Maybe it's shitty of me to have taken the little guy in as a student
>>
>>2455634
That's a lot. You might be able to make a really good brand like Weruva or Tiki Cats work at that price range for one single cat, 100% wet.

Natural Balance is decent and cheap. You could probably afford to feed him all wet if you went with Natural Balance. If not, you can do one meal dry food - one meal wet food and save a lot of money that way.
>>
>>2455636
If I can save money that'd be great but I also don't want to skimp out on the little fella
What would be considered a medium-high "tier" diet? Not the absolute best but something just a bit below that?
Would natural balance be what I'm looking for?
>>
>>2455490
>sleeping with his chin on you
Aww. That's a real sign of trust right there, so comfortable around a human. Kinda makes me suspect that he had a former owner that dumped him...

>>2455634
>Maybe it's shitty of me to have taken the little guy in as a student
You've saved him from a hungry, lonely existence. Don't beat yourself up.
>>
>>2455643
>Kinda makes me suspect that he had a former owner that dumped him
I did too, he also knew to use the kitty litter box I got him but my room is very clean and has a hard wood floor to I think he just looked for a dirt patch like they do. I checked too make sure he didn't have a chip and looked up any online post regarding missing kitties in that area. I didn't find anything and when I gave it some thought an owner that didn't have their kitty neutered this far into its life probably didn't care for the guy.
I do promise myself to take care of the little guy to the best with my ability. I've always liked cats but they were always assholes so I figured they'd just be animals I liked and not owned. Then when I met this cuddly little guy he completely won my heart over.
>>
>>2455642
It's good. Not great. But it's easy to find and pretty affordable.

The best way to get him to the "next level" of food would be 100% wet. Even 100% wet on Natural Balance is a good step up. But all wet diet gets fast expensive and some cats just fucking love crunchies. The best I can tell you is go on Amazon and compare Natural Balance (all wet and wet/dry), Weruva, Tiki Cat, and maybe Nautre's Variety too. Just budget things out. Natural Balance will be the least good, Weruva is the best, and Tiki Cat and Natures Varity in the middle but still very very good.
>>
>>2455654
I'll try and pick between weruva and tiki
He does absolutely love dry food, he likes wet too but goes crazy for the dry stuff
>>
>found mother barn cat dead on road tonight
>6 kittens mewing loudly in barn
>four weeks old yesterday
>gave them a can of salmon which they hit hard
>gave them a pan of goats milk which they pick at some, but not as much
>gave them free choice water which they have been drinking from

They all seem healthy except one, who I put down, but the closest thing to a baby kitten I have ever raised was a litter of coons so I am kinda stumbling blind into this. I fed the coons homemade formula that was
>3 part unsweetened condensed milk
>3 part water
>1 part egg
>2 parts goats milk
And a little bit of honey and oil, to make it sweeter and to raise the fat content. As they got bigger I started cutting out the oil and mixing lard and finely ground dog food into a paste that I presented along with their normal milk until they were exclusively on solid food

Since cats don't taste sweet I figure I can cut the honey out, and since they have a hard time digesting goat milk I am thinking of cutting that down to 1 part instead of two. My real question is what fat content should I be aiming for for kittens this age? I was mixing for 15% on my coons, but I can't find anywhere what percentage of fat a kitten needs at this age.

Will this feeding program work? Do I need to change anything?
>>
>>2454977
I have the same issue. Possible cat anxiety which you can medicate, OR he suffered severe abuse and you just gotta love him for who he is!
>>
>>2454789
It may not be comfortable or he might be a little weirded out by the rise and fall of your chest. You can try to give him something he likes, like treats or a brushing, while he's on you. But honestly he probably just doesn't find it comfortable and may not stay there long.
>>
>>2454977
He was probably neglected to shit during his socialization period, going from the sound of his story. That would leave cats hating being handled, like yours seems to. However when brought to a scary place like a vet that smells like blood, fear and death, some animals just shut right down and allow handling. Basically they are easier to handle in these stressful situations because they gave up on living.
>>
File: IMG_5037.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5037.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2455627
By all means, worship away :3
>>
File: 20170814_191841.jpg (1MB, 1543x1582px) Image search: [Google]
20170814_191841.jpg
1MB, 1543x1582px
>>2456026
Hey man dat a coon too? How old is she? Mine's 16 months
>>
>>2456062
Yep, princess is a coon. In the photo was around 7 months old.
Aww what a cutie yours is! big kitty
>>
>>2456085
Just don't leave any unclosed containers of liquid

They like to experiment
>>
So, everything I've read talks about feeding kittens a lot more food than you'd feed an adult cat, but mine doesn't seem to have a huge appetite. She definitely eats and she's pretty active, but I think she consumes anywhere near the amount of food I've seen recommended. I started out trying to feed her 4 times a day, but she never ate her late night food so I stopped doing that and feed her 3 times a day now. She rarely polishes anything off, I'd guess she eats in the neighborhood of two 3oz cans of food per day. I serve her 3 cans and leave a little plate of wilderness dry out for her that she refuses to touch. She's 11 weeks old and kinda small, but like I said she's active and her coat is in excellent shape, I don't think she's starving.

She's also extremely picky. I made the mistake of buying her all this canned food that she refuses to eat. I would honestly take a bite of some of it (e.g., tikicat sardines and lobster consommé), but this little tyrant turns her nose up at everything that isn't chicken or duck. She also doesn't seem to like chicken or seafood flavored cat treats, whether soft or crunchy in texture.

I'm worried to "play chicken" with her over the food to try to get her to be less picky, I don't want to deprive her of nourishment while she's growing and shes already so picky and not a big eater. Do I have to just accept that I have the equivalent of a child who only eats chicken nuggets and feed her accordingly? Should I be trying to get her to eat more?
>>
>cat meows constantly when he has his favorite toy which is kinda shaped like a dildo
Is he retarded?
>>
The guy that was asking about food again
I've decided on a 50/50 mix of
Wellness Core dry
And
Nature's Variety wet
Is that a good diet for them?
>>
>>2447726
Does anyone know anything about injuries to your cats?

We have a stray that we adopted, had her for almost a year now, she's an indoor cat but is always keen to get outside. My sister just got home and saw her on the roof of the garage, we tried to get her off but I think my mom and sisters yelling wasn't very helpful because when trying to jump to the fence she fell off.

There's no obvious injuries but she walks a bit then lays on her side in a way that's not normal for her. I'm scared she really biffed something up inside of her. Sorry if this is a queer blogbost but this cat is really all I've got.
>>
What's my cats deal w/ grass? Seems he only wants go out to eat grass because that's the bulk of what he does when I watch him outside.
>>
>>2456304
Go to the vet
>>
>>2456327
I was on the phone with one, she said if she was bleeding or a bone was fucked up we'd feel it or she'd be crying and the lot, which she hasn't. She also to watch her breathing to she if it was abnormal, which it's not.

She seems to be back to normal, not lying funny anymore either. But I think i'm still gonna take her in, no way I'm gonna risk it.
>>
File: 1500249749132.jpg (80KB, 736x689px) Image search: [Google]
1500249749132.jpg
80KB, 736x689px
>>2456338
(Excuse the grammar, I'm still shaken up.)
>>
File: 20170623_153609.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170623_153609.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
My girlfriend and I work at an ER animal hosp and this kitten came in with his foot hanging by tendons when he was roughly 24hrs old. I never intended to keep him, but it was my gf's first foster baby and she loved him instantly.
Hes about 3 mnths old now, this pic is old, but you can see his leg with the missing foot
>>
>>2456311
Animals eat grass to make themselves vomit. It might have a sensitive stomach with the food you are feeding it. Does it have diarrhea too?
>>
So I rescued 2 abandoned kittens a little over a month ago. I took them to the vet and they just finished their treatment, last Saturday, for the parasites they had (round worms and coccidia). They were slightly underweight and small for their age, I asked the vet and she said it could be because of the parasites. One was always a bit bigger than his brother, but now the size difference is more noticeable. Prince weighs just over a pound more than Bowie. Prince is now about average weight and Bowie is just barely acceptable weight. Should I take Bowie back to the vet or am I overly worrying? They have a check up in a month would it be better to just wait and see?
>>
>>2449129
This happened to my dad's neighbor.
>>
>>2450158
He's marking you with his scent and claiming you as his own.
>>
>>2450657
Your proof that there are no bad pets, just bad pet owners. Your cat's problem is that she lives with an asshole.
>>
>>2450657
>generally an accepted behavior modifier
maybe according to the school of cesar millan. i have never used anything but positive reinforcement with my cat. your cat has a will of its own, but you have to realize that the pathways its behavior gravitate are almost entirely your doing. animals of cats' intelligence aren't that far above i/o machines. contrary to popular belief, you can make a cat do damn near anything with positive reinforcement and a little bit of persistence. when your cat does something bad, it's because YOU have allowed it to happen by virtue of your ignorance, aggression, or sloth. YOU are the creature with the mental faculties here, and YOU are the one who is ultimately responsible for what the cat does. it is never the cat's failing, it's your own.
>>
>>2456479
Aww, I can see why your girl fell in love with this cutie.
>>
my cat has ben prescribed antibiotics, but refuses to take them. i tried to put the pill in the food, in his treats; i tried to press it so i could put it powdered in water and use a syringe, but it was all useless, because he split it back and drooled. I ran out of ideas.
>>
>>2454472
>"free" kittens
>usually unvaccinated, unwormed, unfixed, untested for FeLV/FIV, untreated for external parasites like ear mites
Enjoy your vet bill when you could've picked up a rescue with all the wellness bells and whistles for about the price of the surgery alone

>>2455642
>What would be considered a medium-high "tier" diet? Not the absolute best but something just a bit below that?
I've been making a power ranking list of cat foods. Here's the mid-high tier kibble:
Wellness Complete Health: Salmon/Salmon Meal and Senior formulas
Earthborn Holistic Natural Grain-Free, CANIDAE Grain Free Pure Elements, Natural Balance Wild Pursuit, Whole Earth Farms grain-free (non-whitefish formulas), Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Castor & Pollux Pristine, Applaws; Simply Nourish SOURCE, Nulo MedalSeries and Freestyle, Wysong, Nature's Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein, Fromm Surf & Turf and Hasen Duckenpfeffer, Natural&Delicious grain-free, Canidae Pure Elements grain-free, Solid Gold High Protein, Horizon Legacy, Holistic Blend grain-free chicken
This is for kibble - haven't done wet foods yet - but brands that make good dry usually make good wet (unfortunately, the inverse often isn't true).
>>2456248 this is an EXCELLENT diet. Wellness CORE is in my highest dry tier.

>>2455759
Just get KMR. It can be found at most pet stores, rescues, and humane societies, and isn't pricey.

>>2456117
Some cats are just picky. I wouldn't be worried as long as she isn't refusing to eat everything except, say, shit brands like Meow Mix. The ideal in cats is being able to feel the ribs without seeing them, but kittens can be a little more difficult since they often have plumper bellies.

>>2456479
Kawaii-as-fuck stumpmonster.
>>
>>2456599
>Prince and Bowie
Nigga, that's cute. Pics?

Kittens siblings can naturally vary a lot in size. I have three adults; one, which I suspect was the runt of the litter of 6, is 2-3 pounds smaller than her heaviest brother. She's always been smaller-framed and trailed behind them a pound or two growing up. I wouldn't worry overmuch as long as he's eating well.

Prior to parasite treatment, were they displaying symptoms like diarrhea, bloody/wormy stool, vomiting, lethargy, inappetence? I'd watch for these and take them in sooner if you see them persisting. Sometimes parasite treatments can take require two or three rounds to take, especially in cases where there are kittens sharing litterboxes and the potential to re-infect themselves and each other.

>>2457000
What's the antibiotic? If you're having a lot of trouble giving the medicine, your vet may be able to prescribe an alternative drug or form (liquid, injectable). Some medications are definitely more foul-tasting than others. Give them a call and let them know.
>>
>>2456484
No, he only vomits after going to town on the grass. We have a few cats but I never see diarrhea in the litter boxes.

Does it mean something is missing in his diet? Or what else might it mean?
>>
>>2451943

Oh I dunno it's a little something called BIRB GENOCIDE, you see when you let your little furry FUCKERS out they DESTROY EVERYTHING nature holds DEAR (ya queer). If you really MUST let your purring HITLER outside then you must:

1) declaw
2) detooth
3) sedate ( so they're too sleepy to pounce)

also before I'm called out for being a fag just know that I'm the SILENT MAJORITY representing all of /an/

GOOD DAY
>>
>>2457109
Some cats just really like eating grass. It's common, which is why you'll see cat grass sold in pet stores.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/wellness/evr_ct_eating_grass
>>
File: received_1802288726455627.jpg (105KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1802288726455627.jpg
105KB, 1152x2048px
>>2457094
Appetite and energy is definitely fine with both, so no worries there. I'll keep an eye on all that until their check up then. Thank you.

Prince is the lighter and fluffier one and Bowie is the darker one.
>>
anyone else's cat have weird little idiosyncrasies? my girl's a longhair and she gets pretty itchy. when i scratch her in just the right spot, it's like i'm directly scratching her brain or something. she goes haywire -- eyes wide, she starts madly licking anything she can find, jerking around, like she's experiencing the best feeling in the world magnified exponentially. pretty cute. anyone else have any weirdo cats like mine?
>>
>>2457264
Is she fat, and is the spot on her hindquarters?
>>
So my friend's landlord found out she had a cat (her landlord does not allow pets) and she brought him over to me. I found him as a baby and he used to live in my house but it has been two years so he does not recognize me or my house at all. She dropped him off this morning and all day he has been hissing and growling at me, and he does not eat. I offered him some treats and a piece of chicken but he didn't want to eat them. Now he is depressed and hiding in between the couch cushions with his head inside the cushions. How do I help him acclimate again? I don't want him to go without eating too long
>>
>>2457354
no, she's healthy weight. the spot is wherever she's itchiest, depending on whichever way she's sitting/laying on me
>>
>>2457356
let him hide. put food in a place where he will find it but isn't a high traffic area. basically just leave him alone for a while. it might even be best if you could somehow get him in a single room of the house while he acclimates. if you try to force yourself on him while he's still terrified of everything, you're just going to create bad memories in his head. cats are super intimidated by eye contact from strangers so just ignore him basically -- give him time to figure out what the deal is with this strange new place with this person he doesn't know. he'll eat when he gets hungry enough.
>>
>>2456117
I know people say to feed kittens more often but I never heard of feeding them more than an adult cat. Usually what's advised is smaller meals many times a day. Some cats are very picky and you have to go off what they will eat. Mine are like that. As long as she's gaining weight and not vomiting liquid (common sign of an empty stomach).

>>2456311
There's no study to prove anything (yet) but it's currently beived that cats eat grass due to lacking certain essential vitamins in their diet. The grass generally makes them vomit which is thought to help remove undigested material. also it could help with indigestion and acts as a laxative.
>>
>>2456311
I got my cat a spider plant and he seems to love it. Seems to be happier since I got it for him too. I think cats just enjoy eating plants sometimes.
>>
File: 1491124049203.jpg (75KB, 549x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1491124049203.jpg
75KB, 549x1199px
>>2456479
I fucking love messed up animals like that. God on ya for taking it in. The first foster is always the hardest to get rid of.
>>2456599
If you aren't already, weigh them daily if possible and keep them separated when feeding. You can also try free-feeding dry food if they are eating solids. General rule of thumb is if a kitten loses weight 2 days in a row, stays the same weight 3 days in a row, or doesn't have a net gain of weight by the end of the week, action should be taken. It's good that she is still an acceptable weight, she may just be a smaller cat or slower grower.
>>2457000
Try opening the cats mouth with one hand, putting the pill as far down the throat as possible, closing the mouth and blowing into the cat's nose. I heard blowing into a cat's nose makes them swallow. Wouldn't hurt to rub the cat's throat too. Idk why vets just don't give people liquid antibiotics for cats.
>>2457086
Is there a way to properly compare dry food to wet food, or is pretty much all wet food >>> dry food?
>>2457264
I've seen cats that do that to a pretty insane extent. I call it a hot spot but I have no clue what exactly causes it. I do not some people had to actually get one or both back claws removed because they would hit that spot petting, and the cat would scratch so long and so vigorously that it would cause themselves to bleed.
>>2457356
confine the cat to a small room or bathroom, give it places to hide and if possible, something from him old house. cats are like autistic people, they despise change. While he may or may not recognize you and the house, he is scared at the sudden change. He doesn't know who else lives there, where the best places to get away from danger are, if you're going to be nice, etc. you and your apartment probably also changed a lot since he was last there, assuming he does remember it. Just take it slow; the easiest path to a beast's heart is through the stomach.
>>2457438
Spider plants have opium-like chemicals
>>
File: IMG_20170808_164456.jpg (198KB, 1201x901px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170808_164456.jpg
198KB, 1201x901px
>>
>>2457653
dang
>>
>>2457264
My cat purrs super loud when I tap her sides like a drum and gets mad if I don't do it hard enough. To the point where I'm sure it has to hurt, but she demands more
>>
>>2457663
>Spider plants have opium-like chemicals
lmao so he's getting high? no wonder he likes it.
>>
>>2457356
The best thing to do is put food, water, and litter box somewhere out of the way (if possible), show him where they are, then ignore him. Let him observe your normal routine, gradually accepting that there's nothing to worry about, and he'll come out when he's ready. Could be hours, days, or weeks, but he'll get more comfortable.
>>
>>2457828
It's catnip x100000. You got him the GOOD shit
>>
My boy cat doesn't want to play ever. I've been trying to tire him out during the evening so he'll sleep over night, but all he wants is to cuddle while I waggle the feather teaser. I've tried laser pointers and other toys, but he has zero interest.
>>
>>2457904
If he's an adult, try some catnip? It should put some extra frisk in him.
>>
How does cat kill mode work? It fascinates me. When I'm playing with my cat, I can literally see her transition from watching something to "I'm going to fucking kill that thing". Just the way her eyes dialate and her soul vanishes from her eyes, it's just crazy, is it all instinctual or can she control it!
>>
It's really funny to watch a cat when it tries to catch a fly.
>>
>>2457964
I think it's mostly instinct, since if you interrupt a cat while it's in murder mode, it can bite you because it can't turn off the aggression that fast
>>
File: 1453344883773.jpg (148KB, 987x700px) Image search: [Google]
1453344883773.jpg
148KB, 987x700px
One of my cats, a kitty, just died and i'm so fucking sad.
>>
File: IMG_20170815_084337.jpg (138KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_084337.jpg
138KB, 712x950px
>>
>>2457129
Yeah but my cat brings me the dead birds as gifts and I like to eat them as a snack, or if he is on a roll that day I have ebough for a whole meal like dinner.
>>
File: 1502278717286.jpg (10KB, 256x288px) Image search: [Google]
1502278717286.jpg
10KB, 256x288px
What kind of car is this?
>>
>>2458451
Fiero with a body kit
>/o/'s version of brown recluse
>>
>>2458186
That is brutal, I'm sorry friend.
>>
Will cats claw through screen doors? I got my cat a few weeks ago, and she seems really stir crazy, so I opened the door today with a screen on it and she's been sitting there ever since. I have an upstairs door as well to a balcony I'm thinking about leaving open while I'm away at work. I'm just concerned she's going to claw through it. I don't think she'd jump from the balcony, but I'm scared she might, and if she does I might never see her again because I don't make her wear a collar.

Your guys' thoughts?
>>
>>2449104
M8, I hope it turns out for the best and your cat shows up soon. Leave food outside and just hang out by the doors all night if you'd like.

My cat went missing for 2 months. I almost gave up checking the doors for her after a while. One night I just checked outside at like 4 am and saw her. I lured her into the house with food because she seemed afraid and scared. She had lost half her body weight in the time she was missing and was covered in ticks and shit. Her personality also changed a lot and she was practically feral for the first week or so back. Eventually she went back to normal though.
>>
>>2450177
Don't remember either of my cats changing too much when they were fixed.
>>
how do i keep my cat from wounding himself from scratching?
>>
File: 20170818_015041.jpg (954KB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20170818_015041.jpg
954KB, 2896x2896px
I'm pretty sure the stray I rescued was either abused or just super beta
He's extremely submissive and doesn't "go all out" when I do something he doesn't like
What I mean by that is that he'll assume the normal cat "fuck off" stance with front paws around my hand and mouth next to hand after he's had enough petting but won't extend his claws or bite
He basically pads me and kisses me
I do stop now that I've caught on to that being his sign for "stop"
Today he exposed his belly to me while sleeping, I rubbed it lightly and he put his hind leg around my hand. I didn't know if that was him saying "stop" or "get in there let me move my leg" so I kept stroking his belly to see what he'd do and he closed his eyes, laid back and started purring
It was a very low purr and with occasional sudden stop of purring
Almost like if some flap stopped his airway and then he'd resume purring
Is this submissive behavior or was he happy
He doesn't look stressed and he looked up at me when I stopped and just laid his head back down to go back to sleep
I can't imagine him trusting me that much already, I just picked him off the streets a week ago
>>
File: 0110.jpg (356KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
0110.jpg
356KB, 1500x844px
>Have a female Kot
>Couldn't think of a name so I call it Kota
>>
>>2458957

Some cats, especially males, will be extremely chill when it comes to petting and will let you stroke their belly with no problems at all

Him not sinking claws in makes me think he is house-broken and has been in the hands of someone who diciplined him when he used his claws and teeth

I took in a stray female kitten a couple of years back, and she had many bad habits I have trained her out of: like scratcing when presented with treats and being clawy and all that stuff.
But she was also super super affectionate from the start because she was basically starving and sick and full of worms, and I got all that taken care off, so she was super chill in most parts.
Except for belly stroking, which I am only just now being allowed to do in short amounts of time when she is really cuddly
>>
I've got a one year old cat and a 11 week old kitten. The kitten came from a family who'd accidentally let the young queen out and she gave birth outside in a hidden spot. By the time they found the kittens one had died and the queen wasn't that keen on nursing or really doing a great job with the three that remained.

As a result the kitten is quite underweight for his apparent age and while I've also doubts that the family told me the correct age (seemed like they wanted rid of the kitten before a holiday) I've been trying to fatten him up (feed him well really).

When we got him at what was supposed to be 8 weeks his overall build, behaviour, locomotion, grooming etc reminded me of a younger kitten. When we took him to the vet for immunisations they wouldn't do half of them because he was below the required weight at 8 weeks at 500g.

Anyway now at 11 weeks he is 1152g so I can't complain too much, he'll get the rest of his vaccinations and microchip next week and hopefully he'll be 12 weeks and 1200g+ which is on target.

My question is clearly vitamin A toxicity is a terrible thing, but how likely is it? In my quest to fatten him up I buy anything opportunistic (cheap meats, offal etc) and mince it raw and feed as much as he'll take every few hours. As part of that this week I picked up 8oz of chicken livers figuring that between the older cat and him I'll manage to get them to eat most of it before it goes bad.

I put down approx 100g yesterday for both and it appears that the kitten has eaten all of it. At the time I was like 'lol' but now I'm worried he has had 14,000iu of vitamin A. Online guides say stuff like liver should be no more than 5-10% of their diet and that cats need 100ui/kg vitamin A per day. I'm worried!
>>
>>2458962
>Female kot

You mean a koshka
>>
>>2458970
I just don't dare belly stroke any cat, no matter how affectionate. Except for my coon, she's chill about nearly everything
>>
File: 1503131256579.gif (2MB, 271x224px) Image search: [Google]
1503131256579.gif
2MB, 271x224px
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.