[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 81

Cat General #3. Previous thread >>>2420436 Always looking for more/better info to add for OP. Feel free to reply to OP with suggestions

Food & Nutrition
>http://catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%20Your%20Cat%20-%204%20pages%2011-13.pdf
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/
Outside Enrichment
>https://catiospaces.com
>http://www.adventurecats.org/backcountry-basics/train-your-cat-to-walk-on-a-leash/
Behavioral problems
>https://thecatsite.com/threads/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered.9563/
>http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/FelineBehaviorGLS.pdf
Kitten care
>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=912
Discord link goes to #mammal
>https://discord.gg/HQkud96
>>
>>2436274
Have you tried closing him off to the area where he pisses? Does he pee on soft things? Honestly there's a plethora of problems that could be attributing to litter box problems. This site has addressed a ton of potential issues and their fixes, probably the biggest list on peeing issues in cats that I've seen.

>https://thecatsite.com/threads/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered.9563/
>>
>>2436608
We did yesterday he just pissed in an empty box near the door. The guest room where this is happening is near the back yard and ton of cats are around the area. I wonder if adding a second box for him to mark in would help. Thanks for the link.
>>
Hey, catfags, this cat showed up outside my apartment a few days ago, maybe half a year old, bony as hell, if I feed it a little bit, will it eventually learn to fend for itself? or should I just go after it with a shovel right away?
>>
>>2437146
Whereabouts do you live anon?
>>
>>2437259
Norway, "city" of around 5000 people
>>
File: 2.jpg (936KB, 1386x3654px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
936KB, 1386x3654px
Made a natural raw food for my cat. What do you guys think? I used this recipe
http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers
>>
>>2437326
Ignore it or take it to an animal shelter. Norway has shelters and rescues around. Don't feed it if you don't plan on getting it fixed or it will multiply
>>
File: IMG_20170722_172445.jpg (2MB, 2263x1647px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_172445.jpg
2MB, 2263x1647px
>>2437349
Someone mentioned that it might be that its owner went on vacation and just left it to fend for itself, think it might be fine to feed it for a couple of weeks?
>>
>>2437353
No. And if they did they shouldn't have a pet. Honestly it looks like he's been out there at least a month or more. It's very common for people to move and leave their pet behind to die.
>>
>>2437358
Think Ive already fucked up...
>>
>>2437370
Did you already kill it?
>>
>>2437373
Been feeding it
>>
>>2436604
>shitpest general #3

FTFY
>>
>>2437376
That's fine if you bring it to a shelter, you won't have to feed it anymore.
>>
>>2437389
dont think theres any shelters nearby..
>>
>>2436604
My indoor outdoor cat brought in lice to my indoor cat

Spot treatments worked fine on my outdoor and indoor outdoor cats, but my indoor cat seems to be too big for the medicine to be effective

He doesn't tolerate baths, will I have to shave him?
>>
>>2436604
Forgot to say, I do have a flea comb, but its not small enough to grab a louse
>>
>>2437455
Have you tried Google? You will probably have to drive or travel to one.

If you don't want to do anything with it, stop feeding it.
>>
>>2437461
Yeah, been googling around, couldnt really find anything, only in Oslo and Trondheim which is on the other side of the country pretty much..

My city is also a student city... might have been some student just bailing on it.. or maybe a student that was in the same position as me..
>>
File: IMG_20170720_162830-2.jpg (232KB, 1200x1161px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_162830-2.jpg
232KB, 1200x1161px
Rate my cat.
>>
Considering adopting a companion for my lazy 5 year old neutered male. He has lived with two different female cats in the past and they got along great. Is a kitten a bad idea? Male or female?
>>
>>2437508
Would you consider an adolescent instead? That way there's a chance you can get a cat that you know already has manners
>>
>>2437508
Otherwise with a kitten its a mixed bag if its mom trained it or what temperament it might have
>>
File: Screenshot_20170722-192945.png (649KB, 1069x1835px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170722-192945.png
649KB, 1069x1835px
>>2437485
I have no idea where you are at, but I'm sure you can find one within a 2 hour drive even if it's a rescue, Norway isn't too much of a shit hole. Don't just look up animal shelters, look at cat rescues too. Always call up before bringing an animal in to make sure you can bring the cat and when. If you still really can't find one, call one of the shelters and ask them if they have a list of shelters and rescues in Norway.

>>2437508
Although there is no study or research proving that the sex of cats will affect their relationship, I'd stick with females if I were you. But also try to get a cat with a similar activity level and personality as the females you used to have
>>
>>2437640
I'm like +8 hours north of bergen, but I've put up a found message on a local facebook group
>>
>>2437376
Congrats. You have a cat now.
>>
>>2437458
Nooooo. Shaving does not help with cat lice because unless you dip your cat in Nair, there will be enough fuzz for the eggs to live on. The only reason to shave for lice is to shave matted fur off because you can't comb through or later that part with soap. If you shaved your cat then your cat will have lice and it will be even more irritable. There are plenty of products that get rid of cat lice however your outdoor cat will just continue to bring them in from outside. Other pets in the house can also get it.
>>
File: 1329575217774.jpg (175KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
1329575217774.jpg
175KB, 500x486px
>>2437498
can't see face/10
>>
File: IMG_1244.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1244.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My cat either wakes me up at four in the morning knocking stuff over, or I shut in the bathroom and get this. He has toys and his litter box in there. How do I get the scratching to stop?
>>
My cat opened a window, pushed out the screen, went missing, and came back 3 weeks later. Never give up on your senpai.
>>
>>2437998
we only have cats fortunately. Thank you, I will set out looking for medicine meant for maine coons. The medicine we got worked- the outdoor cat is black so it's pretty obvious that the nits are gone. But the big cat is just too big I guess

I did call a few vets and leave messages but it's the weekend so no answers :(
>>
>>2438187
Don't be fooled by royal canin commercials, you don't need a breed specific medicine just a species specific one in this case. Anything for adult cats should work
>>
>>2438187
You will just need a bigger dosage, they are effective for cats in a certain weight range. If you cat is outside the average or expected weight range it will not be totally effective.
>>
>>2438192
I didn't mean because of his breed specifically, just that I can't find medicine for large cats
>>
File: KittenRescue_KittenCareHandbook.jpg (57KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
KittenRescue_KittenCareHandbook.jpg
57KB, 1000x667px
Hi, /an/
I found and adopted a kitten that was discovered hiding in a friends shed, the cat looks like the one in pic related.
I don't know how old it is but it's super tiny and meows a lot. It eats wet and dried food easily and like to play. Unfortunately, the cat is riddled with fleas, orange bugs (not sure what they are), and has a bloat under its stomach. The cat is being taken to vet tomorrow morning.

Other than that it's a good cat, I was just wondering are there any things that the kitten should know that are only teachable from its mother?
And does anyone know how this could have happened?
The kitten is defenseless and would have surely died if it wasn't found, could it have been rejected or got lost?
>>
>>2438276
domestic cats have stifled brain growth and don't know how to count... so they lose track of kittens sometimes

Kittens should adapt to a normal litterbox just fine but you might have to gradually change from a box of dirt and gradually make the kitty litter more concentrated

understand that cats can't really tell negative from positive attention and either will be seen as rewarding by a cat. so the best thing to do if you cat does something you don't like (scratching and yelling at the bathroom door to be let in, stuff like that) are best left ignored or possibly brought up to the vet as a sign of a medical condition (intrusive headbutting, for instance)
>>
File: 81nHgO0ZqyL._SL1500_.jpg (186KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81nHgO0ZqyL._SL1500_.jpg
186KB, 1500x1500px
Was going to make the transition to all wet cat food and read that Nature's Variety uses the same ingredients for their dog and cat food. I think it is first and foremost a cat food since it has added taurine and etc in it, but they just pack it up in bigger cans and sell to dogs as well for 2/3 the price per ounce vs the cat food. Very tempting if so. I have two giant cats (18 pounders both, they're not even fat) so going through a full can in a day wouldn't be a problem either.

Does anyone know any other brands that do this? I have a hard time considering anything else now, there's no other good cat food I can find that approaches the price point on this.
>>
File: aw shit.jpg (76KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
aw shit.jpg
76KB, 550x412px
Hey guys, I think I'm going to get a cat. There's an animal shelter like 4 miles from my apartment, I think I'm going to get permission from my land lord on Tuesday, then call them up and see if I can look at some cats.

Any tips? I've never owned a cat, always loved my friends cats though. I'm a guy, does the sex of the cat matter at all? Does the age matter? Preferably I'd want a younger one, but I also work a full time job and don't know how young of a cat I could get, because I've read young cats require a lot of time and attention.
>>
>>2438321
Cats are purely carnivores, dog food is cheaper because they can put other things into the food since dogs are omnivores.

As long as the dog food is completely protein based and does not have really shitty ingredients like corn than it might be ok.
>>
>>2438381
They are literally the same ingredients, protein, calories, etc. I think the dog food id just chunked coarser than the cat food. Cat lady in
op's link even recommended it, so I think it's a decent product...
>>
some stray that used to hang out around the house hasnt showed up in 3 days or so. what are the chances hes ded?
>>
>>2438276
Usually kittens will use the litter box on their own, but they may need help at first. Most will use clay litter right off the bat but if he refuses you can try dirt. I also suggest Cat Attract if you continue having litter box problems. You'll probably need to keep the kitten confined to a single room for a few weeks unless you want a litter box in every room. He may be too young to jump into adult litter boxes, if he's too tiny you can use the top to a shoe box as a litter box. Generally it's as easy as showing a kitten where the box is though. Try to get non clumping as kittens are known to eat litter.

One thing kittens won't Learn without mom is bite inhibition. Because of this it is very important you never use bare hands to play with your kitten up close. Throw balls, get lazers and string toys, but don't encourage biting by wiggling fingers, wrestling him etc.
>>
>>2438143
Try tiring him out with play before you go to bed. It sounds like he's bored and pent up.

>>2438276
>Other anon touched on this, but bite inhibition. Normally, when kittens play with mom or with each other, they learn how hard is too hard to bite by the responses of their siblings (crying, hissing, swatting, etc.). Biting is a very common problem with bottle babies/single kittens and you will need to be consistent about it from an early age. Read this: https://www.pet360.com/cat/behavior-and-training/dont-get-bitten-by-your-kitten/u0zD6ukANkGR0z3ou1yBMw

>>2438366
Keeping a young cat alone in an apartment while you're working a full-time job is a recipe for disaster. Bored cats with lots of energy will make trouble and act out. It can work, but will take a lot more effort on your part.

I'd recommend getting a cat that's 5+ years old. By that age their energy levels have usually settled down somewhat, yet they're still young enough to be sprightly and playful. It's not at all uncommon for cats to live 18-20 years, so don't be spooked away from older adoptables. Even a 10-year-old cat is going to have a substantial amount of time with you unless it has shit genes or you take shit care of it.

Sex doesn't matter. People will stereotype that males are more laid-back/affectionate and females are more independent, but you'll find plenty of shitty antisocial males and females that never want to leave your lap. I'd recommend just going to the shelter and seeing who you fall in love with. Just be aware that male cats can develop a condition called urethral obstruction, which females don't get because their urethras are shorter and wider. Urinary blockages are fatal if untreated and very costly to fix. But not to scare you away from male cats... the condition is uncommon and usually the result of owners feeding garbage all-dry diets like Meow Mix and Friskies. Feed decent food and at least supplemental canned and males are extremely unlikely to block.
>>
>>2438522
Thanks for the tips on getting a new cat. I will keep this stuff in mind.
>>
File: o-SWEATY-MEN-facebook.jpg (914KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-SWEATY-MEN-facebook.jpg
914KB, 2000x1000px
>>2438522
>>2438471
Thanks for the info, lads. The cat's used to the litter tray that a former cat used to use .
Only thing is these kitten things like to play too much
>>
Overheated cat, how have you helped them?
>>
>>2438166
good for you anon.
my cat went out for /nightwalk/ and came back the next morning with a slashed eye, healed within a week
>>
>>2438703
get a water dropper to feed them cool water
>>
Alright guys, I need a little help.

My mother works in the personal assistance business and one of her clients died who happened to be a crazy cat lady. The place was pretty fucked up, she had 10 cats 2 of which were pregnant and it was pretty damn dirty. Stank of cat piss. We decided to adopt a one year old male that was super friendly because we're having a difficult time finding owners for them. The thing is we already got 2 female cats that are around 12 years of age both.
How do we best introduce them to each other? The first contact got a bit violent and ended in one of the females being chased by the male.
Should we lock the new cat up in one of our bedrooms with us until they get used to each other? How do we best go about that? He also stinks of cat piss, do you guys have any tips for washing him?
>>
>>2438959
Yeah, you will have to separate them and have separate food/water/litter

you can in theory wash a cat with dawn dish soap depending on how much you don't mind scratches and whether or not you have safety goggles, but you might also be able to find dry shampoos.
>>
>>2438962
Alright. How do we best go about separating them? He's currently chilling in the sofa in the living room and he's an outdoor cat. Do we just chuck him in my bedroom with food and water? We don't have a litter as we live on the ground floor very close to a forest.
>>
>>2436604
Can I feed my cat this?
>>2438963

I'm wondering if it might get sick
>>
>>2438703
Put cold water or alcohol on their paw pads. Ice packs. Wet their fur. Have them sit on a wet towel.

>>2438959
Cats do best with slow, gradual introductions. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/introducing_new_cat.html
>>2438965
Get litterboxes, things will be much easier.

>>2438968
Cats frequently get internal parasites from eating wild rodents.
>>
>>2438965
Go out and get two litter boxes, one of the cats is going to have to hunker down in a bathroom or bedroom for a while. It doesn't necessarily have to be the new one.

If your cats have never used litter before you might have to just put a little layer of litter at the bottom and fill the rest with soil, and gradually increase the amount of litter after a while.

But if you let them be outside cats they're going to keep hating eachother.

>>2438968
Chances are your cat will get sick, or at the very least bitten.
>>
>>2438990
>But if you let them be outside cats they're going to keep hating eachother.
Really? This is an actual risk?
>>
>>2439031
they'll never get along if they see an option not to

outdoor cats are under a lot of stress and are territorial
>>
File: 20170527_161116.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170527_161116.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My cat goes outside for 4 days and then comes back and sleeps for 2. We don't even have a littler box anymore cause he'll just meow to go out.
>>
>>2439179
>letting cat sleep on your bepis

This is abuse
>>
>>2439179
are you a cat owner or are you owned by your cat?
>>
>>2439190
As long as you're not hard it's okay
>>
My friend has a cat that he's had for a few years that is absolutely nuts. She acts completely feral and she always has. Doesn't like to be pet, pisses all over things (this is recent) the vet can't even give her an exam because she's so vicious. She scratches no matter what and is just generally really weird and bitchy.

They're moving and he's finally decided that she isn't happy, he isn't happy, and he can't give her whatever it is that she needs. He tried to give her to the humane society but they're full and they gave him shit.

The vet told him he's probably better off letting her be free and feral. At least she's fixed. He's really upset about it, because it's a sad situation. If his apartment complex finds her, they'll collect her and put her down, so he can't just let her be an outdoor cat. They're moving soon anyway.

thanks for letting me vent about the sad situation blog
>>
>>2439216
Look far and wide for barns that need barn cats. Make sure you advertise that this cat is fixed and vaccinated. If I was him I'd put ads up in CL in every major town I'd be passing in, could give her away during the road trip
>>
>>2439221
That's a great idea anon, thanks. I'll let him know. He'll be really pleased because he loves that crazy fucking cat
>>
So my vet recommended pedialyte to combat the dehydration my new kitten has been having due to diarrhea. The cause is most likely the worms he has which is being treated for, but I was wondering if there is any harm in giving it to my older girls (7 and 13)? They are also being treated for worms as a precaution, but haven't showed any symptoms. And could I continue after the treament is done?
>>
My cat hasn't come home for 2 days now... He normally never stays away for longer than 3 hours and it's driving me crazy. I miss him so much.
>>
File: 9789.jpg (70KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
9789.jpg
70KB, 600x375px
>>2439230
Just adding endorsement for >>2439221. My local humane society has a similar program specifically for cats that are unadoptable due to aggression/urination problems, but can't in good conscience be released back into the wild. It's been quite successful. They get adopted by animal feed businesses, firehouses, construction companies, etc. Tell him to be creative and advertise to a variety of places.

>>2439265
Yes, this should be fine. Do you know how to check for dehydration? It's very easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svR9hxxKdo4 [Embed]
Ideally you want the skin to immediately snap back against the body. Animals that are dehydrated will have skin tents that return more slowly; >1 sec is considered dehydrated.

You can also slip your finger in their mouths and rub it on their gums. Ideally it should feel slimy, like ours, but in dehydrated animals they become tacky and sticky. This test isn't as reliable as the skin tent one but can be a good way to double check if you're feeling unsure.
>>
>>2439293
F
>>
>>2438959
>>2438965
I'm here again. I got him locked up with me in my room. He's been fed and got water / went to an improv litter box. Now he just sits close to my door and wants to go out. Do I force him to stay in here with me or let him go outside for a while?
>>
>>2439310
I mean, do you want kitties? Otherwise it might not be a good idea to have them next to each other
>>
>>2439312
Well our female cats are neutered so that's not really a problem.

I'm just curious if I'm doing the right thing locking him up in my room. Won't he get very frustrated or stressed?
>>
>>2439315
he might piss everything the first days.
However he won't kill your cats.
After a couple of days they will stop giving a shit about each other and just chill
>>
>>2439318
Alright, so it should be alright to let him roam outside? I really don't want to mess this up since I love both my old cats and our new one quite a lot and I'd rather they get along.
>>
>>2439310
Put a nice rectangle in for him, like a shoebox lid, a ramen noodle box, or something like that. Maybe let him trip on some nip, although it only makes some cats sneeze
>>
>>2439302
You think he died?
>>
>>2439323
He's just out there slaying that puss man, don't even worry about it. He's probably the father of 37 cats by now.
>>
>>2439310
I just thought of this, if your females are fixed and this cat isn't, you might have to get him fixed. Fixed females will just smell like males, and males are competition to fucking. You shouldn't be letting an unfixed male roam, they have fuck huge territories where you may not see them for days on end, they are more likely to fight other cats and they can get disease from fighting and fucking.
>>
>>2439333
He is steralized, thou. But thanks for trying to cheer me up.
>>
>>2439336
Yeah he's not fixed. Earliest appointment was next Monday.
He seems really desperate to get out though. Like, I've never seen a cat this desperate to get out of a room.

Man, this is tough. I'm really conflicted.

>>2439322
That really works? I'm gonna see if I can find something for him then.
>>
>>2439320
I don't get why people usually let cats go outside. But again I don't have innawoods as my backyard. So it really is your choice
>>
>>2439357
Feels weird keeping such a relatively large animal confined to an apartment.
>>
>>2439374
because they're domesticated animals.
>>
>>2439351
He wants to get out because inside him are instincts to fuck bitches and fight cats that are not fuckable bitches. His whole life right now is living long enough to protect the largest territory he can and have offspring. After they are fixed it becomes about the stimulation the outside offers because they tend to not get enough inside, but an unfixed cat will try hard to get out if they have ever been outside before
>>
>>2439416
Alright. We'll try and keep him inside for as long as possible.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I appreciate it.
>>
>>2439295
I know how to check and they aren't dehydrated, but thank you though. So even if they arent, there shouldn't be any harm switching out the water I add to their wet food for pedialyte?
>>
>>2439486
Nope. They might not be stoked on the taste, though, and there's really no reason to do it if they aren't having hydration issues.
>>
File: 20170725_003932.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_003932.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Just gonna post a pic of my cat.
>>
>>2439293
Cat still missing. Gonna start planning my suicide now.
>>
>>2439647
One less cat
One less catfag
It's a win/win
>>
File: Snapchat-1362442550-1.jpg (620KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1362442550-1.jpg
620KB, 1080x1080px
Aight so I've given this cat a good, long chance now I feel. She did better at first when I got another kitten but she's back to pooping on the floor with perfectly clean litter boxes (I even got 2 for them), meowing CONSTANTLY, and her cycle of jumping up and down the window sill/bed every 5 minutes when I am trying to go to sleep until I just get fed up with it and put her outside the room. He also goes out with her and it's annoying cause he's perfectly fine with sleeping with me. Which brings me to my question, would my little dude be affected much by her being gone? What if I instantly bring back another cat for him, maybe a kitten similar to his age (she was about a year and 4 months, he was super tiny when I got him and still is, so I'd guess that he was barely a month old). I have no problem with high energy cats and ones that want to play. It's the annoying and shitting on floor that i have a problem with, so I feel I could handle another kitten with him.
>>
>>2439647
was feeding a stray for a few months. hes been gone for a few days now

wasnt really 'mine' but im pretty bummed he hasnt showed up
>>
Having some difficulty with old cat vs new kitten. Tried the gradual introduction, having them meet during mealtime to form positive associations, trying to play with both together etc. but the old cat just won't tolerate kitten. Hisses whenever she gets near, which kitten at least knows to hunker down to, but then she'll start trying to get to oldie again until the predictable snarling and swatting happens.

Will they ever get along? Kitten seems so eager and curious but it's been about a month. Both are female if that matters at all.
>>
I'm bringing home my kitten tonight /an/. Any hot tips for its first night home?
>>
>>2439793
Marinate it overnight in Italian dressing and make sure you use cooking spray on your roasting pan
>>
>>2439793
Cover up any hiding places you don't want kitty crawling into. They really are curious as fuck and might just disappear on you. Also. wires n shit should be out of the way, they'll try to play with anything even if they have toys right there.
>>
File: IMG_20141017_144511.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141017_144511.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2439805
I know what you were trying to do but i just pictured some guy making his confused kitten sit in a dish full of italian dressing for no reason and laughed
>>
>>2439824
Should I keep it away from my computer then? I really just wanna hang out in my room with it but I don't want it to decide to kill my computer, headphones etc.
>>
>>2439793
Cover up any hiding places you don't want kitty crawling into. They really are curious as fuck and might just disappear on you. Also. wires n shit should be out of the way, they'll try to play with anything even if they have toys right there.

>>2439843
I'd say just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get bored. Kittens don't always go for cables but it's something to watch out for. Distract with appropriate toys and you're usually good.
>>
File: IMG_20150617_220502.jpg (533KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150617_220502.jpg
533KB, 3264x2448px
>>2439843
Yeah. Wires are straight up toys to kittens. It's the perfect formula. Rubbing lime juice on your cords might help. My cat was a cord-chewer and the only thing that got him to stop was rubbing lime juice on the cords long enough for him to think "oh fuck all cords taste bad"
>>
Goddamn phone posting.

Anon had a good point. If it comes down to it, lemon juice works as a deterrent. Don't use too much tho, it's toxic to cats if they eat enough.

Oh yeah, look up what foods and plants to keep away.
>>
>>2439845
>>2439846
>>2439855
I'll keep a close eye on him I guess. He's an older kitten but he still seems like he could be crazy enough to wreck things I don't want him to. I don't really have that many cables dangling about but I could see my huge hanging headphone cord being an issue.
>>
>>2439423
I'm here again. We got him a litter that's in my room and he's used it twice, he's got food and water and I'm always in the room as well but he seems really restless. He's constantly at the door trying to get out or at the window. I've played with him a bit with one of those fishing rod toys but he wasn't particularly interested. You guys got any tips to keep him from going insane?
>>
>>2439917
He's settling into a new area and nervous. Should be good in a few days to a week.
>>
>>2439918
Yeah I'm not worried about that, I just want him to be comfortable and not feel frustrated until we can castrate him.
>>
>>2439920
>>2439917
My guess is that he smells your other cats and is very curious about it
>>
>>2439969
Well he attacked and chased after one of our cats twice when he was free to roam in the apartment/outside. Our two cats we had from before don't even dare coming inside at the moment.
>>
So I got a cat from the shelter, she seems kind of shy, and she bit me after I tried petting her when she was laying on her back.

She's apparently an ex stray who's lived in shelters her whole life, and the shelter staff was very eager to get rid of her.

Did I make a massive mistake?
>>
>>2440121
How long have you had this cat?

Where were you petting her when she bit you?
>>
>>2440128
Like 3 hours.

I don't know, I was playing with her, and she rolled on her back, I went for a tummy/upper neck scratch and she lightly bit me, didn't really hurt or anything.

Also, now when I go near her she growls, I'm hoping that's just her being a nervous fucking wreck.
>>
>>2440152
>3 hours

it's way too early to tell. The fact that she was laying on her back already is a really good sign. It meant she felt comfortable. The fact that you went for her tummy probably freaked her out, don't do that for a while (months). Cats know that laying on their backs are vulnerable but it doesn't mean they want belly rubs.
>>
>>2440157
I think she's starting to warm up to me actually. She's staying near me which I think is a good thing.

She's doing this thing now where she's arching her back and rubbing against me. I feel like it's mixed signals.

I'm this guy
>>2438366

I've never owned a cat
>>
File: cardboard cat 004-08172013.gif (998KB, 500x249px) Image search: [Google]
cardboard cat 004-08172013.gif
998KB, 500x249px
Is it possible to work a part-time job, go to college, have a social life, and be a decent cat owner?
>>
>>2440196
Those are both good things! She was just warning you to back off a little. Cats usually need to feel like they come to you for attention, not the other way around.
>>
>>2440211
Thanks man.

I think things might be okay, we'll see how it goes.
>>
File: 15834920674.gif (647KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
15834920674.gif
647KB, 245x190px
>>2440152
>>2440196
>>2440157 is right, never go for the belly if you don't have a really good grasp of cat body language. Most don't like it. She may also have thought you were playing, but more likely it was a "please stop!" nip. It's a really good sign that she only bit you lightly, though, because it means she's been taught bite inhibition and doesn't see you as a real threat. If she truly wanted to hurt you, she could and would.

Many cats don't do super well with change and need time to adjust to new homes and surroundings. She might hide a lot, spook easily, eat little, growl, or be avoidant over the next week or so - this is normal, and she's just freaking out some because her whole world has been turned upside-down. Give her a little "base camp" (food, water, litter, bed) in a smaller confined area like a bathroom or walk-in closet. She'll feel safer, and you can shut her in there temporarily to know she isn't getting up to mischief when you aren't around to watch her at first.

It sounds like she likes you and is somewhat adaptable, though, if she's willing to play and stick around you. Some cats, people take them home and they promptly hide under the bed for 3 days. Just be patient in letting her adjust at her own rate and don't force yourself on her.
>>
>>2440237
Also, congrats and welcome to cat ownership, anon. Good on you for adopting a cat that sounds like it really needed a home. Feel free to ask here if you have any questions.
>>
>>2440229
>>2440196
>>2440152
Post pics of new kitkat
>>
File: I wish that I had Jesse's girl.jpg (379KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
I wish that I had Jesse's girl.jpg
379KB, 1512x2016px
>>2440237
>>2440239
>>2440242
Thanks guys.

Her name's Jesse (I don't know why someone gave her a boys name, but her true name is Jessie to be honest). She's just over 3.
>>
>>2440249
>tipped ear
Cute. You really are probably the first real home she's ever had. Take good care of her, anon.
>>
File: IMG-20170629-WA0116.jpg (1018KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170629-WA0116.jpg
1018KB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: handsome man 2.jpg (42KB, 720x661px) Image search: [Google]
handsome man 2.jpg
42KB, 720x661px
Rate my kitty
>>
Brought my kitten home... He's awesome. We played a lot and his energy seems infinite. Is it normal for him to just sprint around sometimes when I approach him? I don't think he's afraid of me or anything, I'm thinking maybe he just don't want the playing to end if I pick him up.
>>
Is the race of a stray kitten distinguishable? I've always been a sucker for purebreeds because of the exotic/collection aspect.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_172613.jpg (208KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_172613.jpg
208KB, 720x1280px
>>2440399
Depends. If you really want a purebreed you're better off trying your luck at adoption or getting it straight from a breeder (will be expensive though)
Pic related, my cat, you can tell she's a bengal by the rosettes pattern.
>>
>>2440400
Thank you, anon. Also, is it best to keep the kitten(around 1-2 months old) or look for an adult cat, leaving the kitten with an acquaintance that wants to keep it? I'm a first time cat owner.
>>
>>2440411
One month is really not enough. Generally you'll want to wait at least 8 weeks, and if you can 12 weeks is considered ideal.

With an adult cat you are more likely to get one that is already trained and more "chill", requiring less of your time. If you get a purebreed you'll have some idea of their temperament, though it's less cut and dry than for dog breeds for example.
>>
File: IMG_4826.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4826.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2440382
That's a pretty cat, looks like a domesticated panther!

I rescued a wild kitten about a week ago, pic related. The vet said she's about 7 weeks old but only half the weight she should be (660g right now), and even though she's eating fine I want to start feeding her some meat. How much liver can I feed her and should I cook it first?
>>
>>2440350
Bathory and cat, nice
>>
File: 1491680119276.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1491680119276.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
sleepy cat
>>
>>2438522
I am getting a kitten next week and will be keeping her in my apartment while working full-time. I've taken steps to try and mitigate any trouble she might get into generally, blocking off a few spaces, wrapping and/or unplugging cords, rubberbanding cabinets shut, and putting away potential hazards. I have an empty bedroom with some furniture and empty boxes for her to climb on that I was going to set up as a base area for her, and was going to keep her in there while I'm at work.

I work about 10 mins away and can come home on my lunch, but wasn't sure if I should do that every day in case she got used to it. My plan was just to spend an hour or two with her before I go into work each morning, and come home for lunch a few days a week. Obviously I'm home in the evenings.

Should I let her roam the house instead of keeping her in that room initially? You've made me very nervous I don't want to neglect the cat.
>>
>>2440104
I'm here again. Looks like we can't keep the little bugger, he's abnormally aggressive against our other cats. I think he needs to be the only cat with some nice old lady or something, someone that can give him the attention and care he deserves.
His previous life must've been hell if this is how he reacts to other cats.
>>
File: 20170726_103356.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_103356.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
This morning my little guy is being a lot more affectionate towards me. I guess he was just way too excited last night lol.
>>
>>2439647
My Cat-bro is back. I seriously love this cat too much.

>>2439733
Know that feel... I fed a stray when I was still living with my parents because they didn't want to get a pet. He suddenly stopped coming one day. Everytime I went outside I kept looking for him but I never saw him again. The worst part is I don't know what happend to him. I really hope someone took him in.
>>
File: 1501051592198.png (767KB, 498x750px) Image search: [Google]
1501051592198.png
767KB, 498x750px
>>2436604
does anyone know the breed of this random cat I found on the internet?

asking for a friend
>>
Stray cat wandered into the warehouse in which I work, it's a food distribution warehouse so it can't be in here for long

How to lure so we can capture it?
>>
>>2440620
That sucks anon, sorry to hear it. I guess that's why he wanted out so bad. Hopefully the next cat you choose is much better about it
>>
>>2440685
Yeah, we really took a liking to him too but we knew there might be something wrong with him considering where he came from we just weren't ready for him being this aggressive considering how affectionate he is to humans.
>>
File: 20170726_145506.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_145506.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
This is my cat Mia. She's 15~ and has had health problems all her life. Allergies, dried out skin with sores, vomiting, and lately diarrhea with bright red blood in it. The vet solutions haven't helped (stool hardener, antibacterial, etc) and now my mom is going to put her down. She says it isn't fair for the cat to suffer but idk I can't tell if she is. I'm upset a lot.

Last time she was sick her ear tips and tail tip fell off tho so idk.
>>
File: 20170726_140235.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_140235.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2440701
Sorry I'm a phone poster and don't have patience to rotate rn
She's between my legs napping at the moment. Vet appt is tonight. Gonna take her to my dad's house so we can bury her with other past pet family. I'm gonna let our other cat Nala see her first tho, I think that's what I have to do? So she doesn't go looking
>>
File: 20170726_135541.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_135541.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>2440704
She still eats and is somewhat affectionate but the bloody diarrhea is fairly constant and indicates serious problems, she also pukes so she isn't getting much from her food. :(

I wish I had money to dump into making her better but I'm a retail wageslave so I couldn't even take her off my mom
>>
File: 20170726_153246.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_153246.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2440705
Sorry if this is annoying
>>
>>2440715
Nah man, I'm sorry to hear it. We also had to put down our oldest cat a few years ago when she developed liver cancer. She was pretty overweight and in the end couldn't even walk.
It was really sad but we didn't have much choice. If they're suffering badly enough then it's a mercy for them.
>>
>>2440701
>>2440704
>>2440705
>>2440715
This has always been a dilemma for me, I'd like my cats to live until they just die, not by a disease or something related and I'm not a fan of putting anything down, because it just seems like a disconnection to me, as in "yeah I'll just end you now that you aren't young and healthy anymore" but if the cat is suffering there's just no other way, sorry to hear, and I wish you the best.
>>
File: 1336188103718.gif (268KB, 280x187px) Image search: [Google]
1336188103718.gif
268KB, 280x187px
Question, /an/ to you cat owners: I live alone, I'm away from home for long hours (go to work at 9:30, return at 19:30), and I'm thinking of getting a cat because I think it will be ok on its own for that long.

However, it's summer and the apartment is getting really hot where I live during the day, and there's not much breeze, will the cat handle it without AC? Outside it can get up to 39c.
>>
File: 1481147989391.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1481147989391.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
is my cat cute?
>>
I have a 9 days old kitten with a piece of shit that apparently can't go through his anus. It all started yesterday when he was shitting (I stimulate him with cotton) and then the poop tore before the deed was done. I could see the rest of it inside, but it wouldn't come out with more stimulation. I decided to let it be and try again later, and every time I tried the poop would become visible but wouldn't go through his anus (in these kittens the poop is harder than what it should normally be, but it's still reasonably soft). What can I do to help him push it out?
>>
My kitten seems to quack like a duck when he is hungry or mad, or just wants something. He also meows normally at other times. Do some cats just meow weird? Nothing else is off, he's very lively and affectionate
>>
>>2440835
>Do some cats just meow weird?
Yes some cats mew in weird ways. I've met one that sounded like a robot and another one that sounded like a baby crying.
>>
>>2440814
Yes
post more of cat plz
>>
>>2440715
>>2440705
>>2440704
we did end up putting her down
the vet felt a huge stiffness in her bowels and with her advanced age and several other factors she said she probably wasn't going to make it much longer anyway

brought her home and buried her here
I hope showing her to nala was the right choice but fsldfds idk what to do in these situations
>>
>>2440834
Maybe use a little stopper (little) and put some water up there?

fr tho ask a vet
I would think that safer
>>
File: IMAG11951.jpg (880KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG11951.jpg
880KB, 1836x3264px
My cat has been staying with friends the last 6 months while I have been away for work. I don't know what to do, she has gained the weight of another cat. How do I even begin getting this kind of floof off of her?
>>
>>2441035
>floof
brush
>fat
diet
>>
File: 1496726318309.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1496726318309.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2440933
thank you!

he likes watching bird videos.
>>
>>2440382
good old kitter/10.

>>2440392
Yes, kittens are just fucking goofballs.

>>2440446
I guess I... don't really know how to quantify liver. 1/8 cup per day? You could intersperse it between meals, but kittens that young can be free-fed with no problems. I'd cook the meat just to be safe.

>>2440608
Sounds like you're making smart preparations. Keeping any new cat initially confined to a smaller space is always a good idea - change of environment is easier for them to swallow if they can get used to things in smaller bites, so to speak.

Coming home on your lunch would be a good idea, at least for a while. It's much easier for adults to adjust to being alone for long periods than kittens, which are still in a very impressionable stage of development and in most cases were only just recently separated from mom/littermates. Spending more time with her will help keep her temperament nice and social and bond her to you.

Generally I wouldn't recommend a single kitten in your situation, but it sounds like you're making as many concessions for her as you can.

>>2440680
That's the rare and beautiful Cuticus lioncubbicus.

>>2440684
Live trap. Many humane societies and TNR operations will loan them out for free.
>>
File: 156948362054.jpg (69KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
156948362054.jpg
69KB, 500x334px
>>2441026
For what it's worth: I'm a vet tech, and this
>Last time she was sick her ear tips and tail tip fell off
is SUPER fucked up. I've only ever seen this happen due to frostbite or traumatic injury. Whatever was wrong with your cat, it was bad news; you made the right call.

Sorry you lost your friend. 15 years isn't a bad run for a cat at all. Nala might still look for her anyway (my own cat did after her sister died, though she saw her body too) or she might not. It depends on the individual animal's intelligence and how strongly bonded they were. You definitely didn't do her any harm by showing her the body though.

>>2440755
Also fwiw: I've seen and participated in literally hundreds of euthanasias. I understand how euths can seem callous from a human perspective, but honest to god, if I had to pick any way to die other than passing in my sleep, it'd be fatal injection. The process is almost always very quick and gentle. It really is such a gift we can give them, to allow them to go so peacefully.

>>2440756
Should be okay. Get an older kot, 5+ years, and don't pick a longhair unless you plan to keep it shaved. Keep well-groomed even if shorthair. Run a fan (or multiple fans, more is better) while you're away. Kot can stretch out on marble, metal, tile, ceramic, etc. to cool itself down. Close your curtains before you leave for work and double check that the water bowl's full. You can also freeze bottles of water and leave them in some of kot's favorite lounging spots. Don't use those gel pad things, the shit inside can be toxic if ingested.

>>2440814
9/10, would rub that little white arrow on his forehead.

>>2440834
https://www.petcha.com/remedies-for-kitten-constipation/
Taking him to the vet, if required, shouldn't be too expensive. Maybe $40 for the enema and $20 for some lactulose. Please don't do this though >>2441028 as you don't want to risk puncturing or damaging delicate kitten anuses/rectums! In vetmed we use soft rubber tubes for that reason.
>>
I live i a third world shithole, in a shitty flat and a while ago I started feeding a female cat. Then after a while, she gave birth to four cute kittens.
The problem is, they shat and pissed right in front of my door. The mother shat somewhere on the ground but maybe the kittens are too small to use the stairs.
I generally dont have a problem with cleaning up the mess but since I live in the second floor, cleaning up is such a pain because the water has nowhere to go.
My neighbors also started to make complaints and I think it wont be long before somebody tied all of the kittens in a sack and throw them in a lake.
How do I teach the kittens to shit somewhere else? Ive tried relocating them to the ground floor twice but the mother will bring them back up.
>>
>>2441240
Get a litter on the second floor? You should ideally have one litter for each cat + one in multi cat households anyway.
>>
File: P1150318.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
P1150318.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
>>2441135
>Also fwiw: I've seen and participated in literally hundreds of euthanasias. I understand how euths can seem callous from a human perspective, but honest to god, if I had to pick any way to die other than passing in my sleep, it'd be fatal injection. The process is almost always very quick and gentle. It really is such a gift we can give them, to allow them to go so peacefully.

i put down my cat yesterday, still cry when I see her food bowl or remember how she would follow me into the kitchen.

btw, what are they injected during euthanasia?
>>
>>2441339
Not that anon, but where I am we basically overdose with a barbiturate. We currently use sodium Pentobarbital. We used to use the good ol' blue juice, but we switched to a red-ish solution because it's cheaper I guess. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like blue juice. They should be giving a general anesthetic for euthanasia first, there is NONE in the actual lethal dose alone. I work at a shelter so we try to skip the general anesthetic when possible to save money. It's very, very shitty. The only time I think it would be OK is if the needle is going straight to the heart or jugular, usually because death is nearly instantaneous but also because generally we have to do that because the animal is so small or malnourished we can't get veins elsewhere, so finding a bit of muscle or fat for the anesthetic may be moot as well.

Basically you have a short acting barbiturate to render the animal unconscious, but that alone should not be considered the anesthetic because it's short acting. Then you have the muscle relaxant which quickly and completely paralyzes the animal's muscles. Then, potassium chloride stops the heart, basically a heart attack.
>>
File: varg.png (557KB, 468x486px) Image search: [Google]
varg.png
557KB, 468x486px
stop letting your cats outside
>>
>>2441240
To add to >>2441243 get someting smaller for the kittens to get into, in case they can't get in the other litter box. Something like the lid of a shoe box. Also make sure you clean the boxes often. at least 2x a day with 5 cats sharing a litter box or two
>>
>>2441451
This is horribly depressing.

Can't cats just live forever?
>>
File: CatPyramid_SpayNeuter1.png (254KB, 1788x800px) Image search: [Google]
CatPyramid_SpayNeuter1.png
254KB, 1788x800px
>>2441521
Cat overpopulation would go through the roof
>>
File: IMG_7665.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7665.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My cat is about three years old, but he still sounds like a kitten. He squeaks like a goddamn mouse. He sounds nothing like any other adult cat i've met. My friend has a kitten who's 5 months old that sounds exactly like him. I think it's adorable, but why the fuck doesn't he sound like a normal cat? I also think he still kindof looks like a kitten, but maybe that's just me. He never really got the "adult" face like my other kitties did.
>>
>>2441587
Maybe he has aspergers.
>>
>>2441111
Thanks for the response. I thought about two, but my lease only allows for one pet and on the off chance they both got sick at the same time (or one right after the other) I'm not sure I could afford two vet bills. I mean I could afford two sets of shots, two checkups, etc but if someone had to get surgery or a shitload of tests done or something like that it would wipe me out. My mom has two little dachshunds that have cost her over $10,000 over the past 4-5 years. One had to get back surgery, a colon blockage removed (he found and swallowed half a corncob), and then somehow contracted some rare fungal disease previously only seen in rabbits (we lived by a vet school at the time and they wanted to write a paper about him), the other has Cushing's.

The kitten is a British Shorthair/Scottish Fold (straight ears though) and will be 11 weeks old when I get her, so I think she'll have some basic socialization already. I am just worried about leaving her alone initially but there's nothing I can really do about it other than the steps I am already taking. I looked at older cats but didn't find one that caught my eye and then saw this perfect kitten and snapped her up.

I could leave her with family while I'm working but that would be yet another change of location and doesn't seem wise early on.
>>
>>2441592
Not a bad theory. He does take after me quite a bit.
>>
>>2441595
>british shorthair/scottish fold
...Just say mutt. It's probably just a domestic shorthair/domestic shorthair anyway. People who actually own purebred cats (read: 2% of cat owners) generally sterilize them instead of creating mongrels.
>>
>>2441587
My sisters cat is 3 and mostly chirps/chitters like a bird when she vocalizes.
>>
File: hbeLDEM.jpg (295KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
hbeLDEM.jpg
295KB, 2448x3264px
>>2441587
My cat was like that too. He always had a weird raspy kitten meow and always had a stupid little kitten face even when he grew to be a big floof. I loved it. He was such a weird cat, imo the best cats are cats like that.
>>
>>2441600
The kitten is from a properly credentialed breeder, I looked into it quite heavily. The folded ears are caused by a mutation in a dominant gene, so if you breed two folded eared cats the kittens have a good chance of developing some sort of crippling arthritic disease and dying. So a responsible person always breeds a folded ear with a straight ear so the kittens don't have two copies of the mutation. Scottish Folds are basically mutts with a lot of British Shorthair in them anyway, someone saw a barn cat with folded ears in the 1960s and started breeding them with domestic and British shorthairs.
>>
>>2441587
my 3-year-old cat chirps and mews. frankly, it's adorable. i've read that it means the cat likes you and views it as a close family member, like its mother.
>>
>>2441595
There is one rule I learned working at the shelter. ALL kittens must go before an adult cat is even considered for adoption, even when people go in looking for an adult cat. In my 5 years there I have never once seen an adult cat get adopted when there were still kittens 6 months and under.
>>
>>2441807
It must be both heartbreaking and wonderful to work at a shelter.
>>
>>2441815
When I went there on Tuesday, they all seemed really stressed out.

I feel like there's some ups, but there has to be a lot of downs. The animals there aren't always happy, I'd imagine 90% of the time they're angry and miserable, not only that, most of the day you're just cleaning shit I'm sure.
>>
File: 20170727_222351.jpg (172KB, 1152x865px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_222351.jpg
172KB, 1152x865px
Here's a picture of my cat trying to harass a giant katydid. He took two legs before I got it out of his mouth :(
>>
>>2440693
I'm here again. Looks like we're going to have to put him down. He has diabetes, some disease or parasites in his ears, some form of stomach problem and some form of urinary disease as well as numerous wounds around his neck. No one's going to take him in since it'll cost too much to cure him and we can't keep him since he's too aggressive against our other cats.

I'm really sad about this because he's such a lovely cat otherwise. If he was healthy I'm sure we could've found him a very nice home that could love him and take care of him in a way he deserves.

At least we gave him 6 days of peace, love and safety. Probably more than he's ever had in his life.

It feels so damn shitty that we take him in and then having to put him down just barely a week later, but at least he got away from that hellhole that was his previous home. I'd like to think that despite it all we did the right thing as they're probably going to have to put down every single adult cat that came from that home since a friend of my mother who took in one of them said she instantly attacked her previous cat as well without a warning.

Fuck, man. I wish people would take care of their pets better.
>>
>>2441971
That sucks anon! I'm sorry. Growing up my parents took in a lot of strays (i mean a lot, they have 9 cats they're taking care of right now) and I know that feel. I remember once we took in a cat, he was SO sweet, had him for about 3 days before his vet appointment came around. Turns out he had feline leukemia and it was far too late to do anything about it. But for 3 days he was off the streets, was well fed, and got love and attention from both cats and humans. Cats don't care about dying. Animals have no concept of "oh no my time is up, i wasn't done here". They care about how life is while living, and you did good.
>>
>>2441521
Honestly, anon's description makes it sound worse than it is. The most lengthy part of euthanasia is finding the vein (which can be difficult on older animals that are dehydrated). Once you're in the bloodstream, it takes less than 10 secs for the animal to be rendered unconscious. They sometimes stretch or kind of grumble but usually don't know what hits them.

>>2441807
Interesting. Are you at a kill shelter? Kittens always go quickest in general, but I've seen 15-year-old cats get adopted over them. Maybe at kill shelters people feel more compelled to save the babies.

>>2441917
>I'd imagine 90% of the time they're angry and miserable
It depends a LOT on the shelter. Mine was very large and well-funded, so we didn't have to cut corners. Rather than being confined to a single cage, we'd give them 2-3 connected by "portholes", so they had different areas for sleeping, litterbox, etc. There was a cat colony where the cats could freely roam and hang out on cat trees and beds and shit. Each cat had a little plastic puzzle ball with treats in it for enrichment. We got a lot of foot traffic and were well-staffed with volunteers, so they rarely wanted for attention. The animals do get stressed out, especially when large groups of children go through, but that's just part of shelter life.

So at least at my shelter, I'd say 20%-30% were unhappy, fearful, or angry, and the rest were content or happy. I'm sure things are very different at smaller and less well-funded shelters, though.

This is going to sound fucked up, but honestly one of the most meaningful parts of working at the shelter was being able to enrich the lives of cats that were slated for euthanasia. If I knew one was too sick, injured, or aggressive to be adopted, I'd go out of my way to give them special treats/attention whenever I had time. Even just a teaspoon of tuna slipped through the cage bars and most cats are over the moon. When they have so little, the smallest things mean so much to them.
>>
File: IMG_20161129_225858.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161129_225858.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
rate my cat
>>
>>2441623
You better give that cat the absolute best fucking life possible. I'm talking the best canned or raw foods, water fountains, catios, the whole nine. I feel as though when people spend the time and money to get a cat from a breeder over saving one, they better make that cat as happy and healthy as possible.
>>
>>2441815
It can be nice. It's given me a lot of stories at least, and a lot of useless experience.

>>2441917
On top of all of the downs, you get paid in peanuts. There's a reason why shelter employees suck. We get a physically, emotionally and mentally draining job, they hire just below bare minimum so we are constantly struggling, and we get paid minimum wage with ANY excuse to cut more from pay (because overtime). And you would not believe the kind of asshole customers we get sometimes. At my job we are bitter, angry and tired.

>>2442041
We advertise as a no kill shelter, we euthanize for behavioral problems or medical problems. However, when we need room we will euthanize animals with URI/KC which are very treatable and euthanize animals that look at you the wrong way. It's pretty much a scapegoat. Yes, they do have behavior and medical problems so it's within limits, but it's also used for when we need space. The public doesn't know about it. Not even our volunteers do.

>one of the most meaningful parts of working at the shelter was being able to enrich the lives of cats that were slated for euthanasia
iktf. I'd give them more food if they were not friendly, and more cuddles if they were. I remember my manager once telling me to not waste food on the TBD cats because it just makes them puke when they are about to die. when I told that to one of the LVTs there, she told me it didn't matter since they were going to die anyways, and to give them a little bit of happiness before they had to go. Some of the workers would bring the feral cats to be euthanized and kick their traps and cages. One crazy old woman would do that all the time, because 'the bastards deserve it'. Bitch was just upsetting the cat and making the process harder for whoever had to put it down. I would try to take a last picture of the animals, because after they were cremated we just threw them out in a dumpster. I tried to get a lasting memento from them.
>>
File: IMG_20170728_122915.jpg (233KB, 1100x825px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_122915.jpg
233KB, 1100x825px
This nigga always sleeps in our apartment.
>>
>>2442252
Fuckin hell. In 8th/9th grade I volunteered at a no kill shelter run by some weird old women that eventually got canned because it was a drug front. Didn't even know what was going on at the time I just swept the hall and fed cats.
>>
>>2442333
Give him some tasty treats!
>>
File: 30596_1487892921615_7716744_n.jpg (79KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
30596_1487892921615_7716744_n.jpg
79KB, 720x540px
This is Dave, say something nice about Dave
>>
>>2442376
Dave appears to be extremely relaxed and I envy his casualness
>>
>>2442149
9/10
>>
Just built a little staircase to help my old lady cat get up onto the bed easier. She immediately ran up and down and started purring. It feels good to be appreciated
>>
>>2442252
>I would try to take a last picture of the animals, because after they were cremated we just threw them out in a dumpster. I tried to get a lasting memento from them.
iktf. I saved rabies tags and wrote the animal's names on the back in sharpie. They're all hanging on a metal chain now from a knob on my dresser. For animals that never got rabies vaxed, I'd make ink pawprints on index cards post-euth. We mostly did those cards as a courtesy for members of the public who brought in their own pets to be euthanized.

Where are you? It's interesting to hear about other shelter setups/experiences, and yours make me feel so fortunate that my shelter was huge and well-funded. Never had to euth for space; ferals were TNR'd. Part of it may be that we're in the midwest, so our long, shitty winters make half the year VERY slow. So slow that we started taking animals in transports from overtaxed shelters down south, mainly TN, AR, MS - that area. It's only the past 8ish years that things have been so good, though... I started volunteering as a teenager and didn't know it at the time, but they had like a 40-60% kill rate then. Now it's about 3-7%.

You're a strong guy. I don't think I could handle working at your place. Thanks for doing right by the cats in what small ways you can. It matters.
>>
>>2442376
Dave looks like a loving, inquisitive kittah.
>>
>>2442418
you BUILT a staircase? why not just put a blanket over a box or something
>>
>>2442430
I had extra wood and she deserves the very best.
>>
File: P1170125.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
P1170125.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>2442418
Mine took some time to get used to hers.

Since she died recently, I don't know when I should dismantle it.
>>
>>2442433
>spoiling your grandma
World class anon right here.
>>
File: IMG_1284.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1284.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I adopted this sweet girl today, does anyone have any good names? My friends have suggested Cheerio and Squid.
>>
>>2442454
Squid is cute
>>
>>2442454
Agatha
>>
>>2442360
kek don't know how they managed that. Ours is most definitely not a drug front, but they did resort to hiring drug addicts, former prostitutes and convicted criminals because no one else is willing to work here for minimum wage. I find co workers passed out every once in a while or vomiting from ODs. Was the vet dealing out tramadol or something?

>>2442420
North East here. we also do the transports from down south because they always go extremely quickly. Our 'in house' dogs are the ones that stay for ages and never get adopted. Sometimes we euthanized our in house to make room for the transport dogs because we know they will go fast, they usually all get adopted the same day they are available. It used to be much worse here too. We just recently got a brand new building, the old building was a hundred years old and was originally a house. So it's nice to have a place that was built to be an animal shelter for once. Maybe things will change with a nicer facility, who knows.
> I saved rabies tags
that's a smart idea, I should have done that. The vast majority of cats didn't have a rabies tag though.
>>
>>2442491
Tramadol sucks as a recreational drug bro, it was more likely ketamine
>>
File: Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (1003KB, 3823x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
1003KB, 3823x2660px
I've decided his name is Giovanni. Is this a good cat name?
>>
>>2442580
It's good, so long as you play him Mozart

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kBXt9Bn4qns
>>
File: FB_IMG_1443679823972.jpg (162KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1443679823972.jpg
162KB, 1280x960px
I have a question about my cat's (pic related) behavior. We feed her on a bow window so she can be up and away from the dogs. When ever we give her dinner she ends up pawing the glass 2 or 3 times with each front paw then switching to the other paw. She does this for a bit and occasionally goes back to eating. I've only ever seen her do this when she's eating wet food, never her dry food or any other time. What is this behavior and why does she do it?
>>
>>2442596
Might just be a weird individual quirk. I've known cats that pawed every individual kibble out of their bowls one at a time before eating them, or would only eat wet or dry food by scooping it up with their paws.
>>
File: concern.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
concern.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
>>2441464
Cats were outside before they were domesticated. Why would i trap them inside?
>>
>>2442618
Not the person who you are replying to, but cats are idiots. They eat things they shouldn't, get in the middle of traffic, and either terrorize other animals or trust the wrong people. Keep them in your yard, there are ways to build a fence so they can't get out. If you let them out they're going to end up dead. I learned that the hard way.
>>
Any decently priced brand of cat shelves anyone recommends? Got two room apartment and want my cat a place up high he can hide away
>>
>>2442625
They also contract diseases such as FIV and FeLV and if they test positive to the latter they will get euthanized regardless of what you want.
>>
>>2442596
Drying off her paws before eating? Making sure nobody is outside watching? Sometimes my cat is just excited for dinner and smacks the wall a few times before eating. Cats are weird and have their own little rituals.
>>
>>2442627
Just put a cardboard box on table
>>
File: relaxin.jpg (300KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
relaxin.jpg
300KB, 756x1008px
>>2440249
I don't know why I was worried boys, she's a sweetie pie.

She's ignoring my scratching post and just going after my couch, but other than that she's a very loving cat.
>>
File: 7.jpg (63KB, 725x350px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
63KB, 725x350px
Hey /an/imals, I've adopted a new kitty, he's big and black with a stub tail and tipped ear. (looks a lot like pic related) He's 5 and doesn't have a name. He's a sweetie.

I was thinking Bjorn (Norwegian for "bear"). Any thoughts?
>>
>>2442910
Put double-sided tape on couch. Cats don't like that texture.

Glad things are going well!
>>
>>2442910
Make sure the scratching post is as tall as she is long when she stretches out, and that it can support her full weight. Cats will avoid a tipsy scratching post. Same thing if it's a long floor scratching post; it should be as long as that cat is when fully stretched and not move when she's scratching it. She may like different textures also, there's rope, carpet, wood/bark and cardboard.
>>
>>2443196
>>2443220
Yeah, my sister suggested this spray I might pick up to put on my couch, to keep her off it.

I'll probably try getting another scratching post as well, maybe a taller rope one, she had one of those at the shelter.
>>
File: IMG-20170729-WA0002.jpg (77KB, 780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170729-WA0002.jpg
77KB, 780x1040px
r8 my cat
>>
>>2443287
What a cutie
>>
is it normal for cats to puke occasionally or does it mean something is wrong with them?
>>
>>2443177
That's a very good name for him, anon
>>
>>2440201
According to Persona 5, yes.
>>
File: 2017-07-29.jpg.jpg (2MB, 1606x2017px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-29.jpg.jpg
2MB, 1606x2017px
I'm never getting another cat. She's been my best friend ever since I found her abandonded nine years ago and now I have to put her down. Fuck. I'm broken. Just wanted to share her memory here.
>>
>>2443348
I'm sorry bro.
>>
>>2443318
How often is occasionally, is the vomit mostly food or hair, and what are you feeding?
>>
>>2443348
>Just wanted to share her memory here.
do it. do it as much as you need. write about her if you need. post pics.
>>
>>2443177
what is this, an alpaka?
>>
File: tumblr_mqt70fxfNR1rsikbyo1_500.gif (500KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqt70fxfNR1rsikbyo1_500.gif
500KB, 500x262px
>trained cat to do 'bearcat' and jump for food
>now no longer can hand offer her food without her viciously attacking for it

I fucked up. How do I undo this?
>>
>>2443555
i got him about five weeks ago (an adult cat) and he's been puking about once a week. it's usually in the morning and seems to consist of kibble. i've been feeding him science diet, which is what they were feeding him in the shelter too.

he just suddenly starts retching, pukes a bit, and then goes back to normal. he still eats all his food and doesn't seem lethargic or sick or anything.
>>
File: received_1740242492669756.jpg (215KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
received_1740242492669756.jpg
215KB, 2048x1365px
>>2436604
My cat seems healthy, but he's got a bit of a belly and thin between the ribs and hips. Is this normal? I've had dogs for 30 years, but only had a cat for about six months, don't know if he's healthy weight. He eats good, mix bag of dry food, wet food, a can of tuna once every other week, and kitty treats a couple times a day. I'm just worried I might be doing something wrong. Any input is welcome. And before you ask the question, I don't do veterinarians, they have done nothing but poison my dogs my entire life. I'll be god damned if I'll let them kill my first cat. Pic is Paul.
>>
>>2443606
>he's been puking about once a week. it's usually in the morning and seems to consist of kibble.
it's normal, in my experience. he's just overeating.
>>
>>2443622
>He eats good, mix bag of dry food, wet food, a can of tuna once every other week, and kitty treats a couple times a day
give at least the feeding amounts on the food packaging.
>>
>>2443622
>I don't do veterinarians, they have done nothing but poison my dogs my entire life.
uhhhhh

anyway. my vet told me its normal for cats to develop a bit of a pouch belly, and that it's just the result of excess skin. apparently cats benefit from extra skin as it helps them escape predators. if he has a waistline when looking at him from above i think it means he's not overweight. my cat has a similar deal.

i think they're considered underweight when they're thin enough that their ribs (in the ribcage) are visible or protruding.
>>
>>2443632
Sorry, no actual measurements. But it's about five servings a day of dry food, measured by a hand full but not bursting, topped with about a tablespoon of wet food. First is at 5am, second 745am, third noon, forth 515pm, fifth 9pm. And sometimes another dry food at around midnight.
>>
>>2443635
I know the vet thing seems absurd, but I've had many dogs in my life. The ones that I gave shots myself and just took care of them, lived around 20 years each. But every one that I took to the vet to take care of shots or when they got sick, got some fucked up disease or skin cancer and died under five years. I'm not a nut trying to say vets are evil, just that with my experience I can't take my pets to them anymore. But thanks for the advice. He really seems healthy acting, just worried about him because he always acts hungry and I've heard cats do that, and he seems to look healthy, but I love him and want to do right.
>>
>>2443606
Science diet is just a cheap food. On top of that, cats don't actually chew their kibble well. Cats have teeth for ripping and shredding, not great chewers. What happens is the stomach has a hard time processing the unchewed chunks and the cat vomits it. It has nothing to do with eating too fast (cats that eat too fast will puke right after or during eating), it's just the deal with dry food. If you aren't a fan of vomit you can try switching them to canned food.
>>2443622
Ask a vet if your cat is healthy for their size and age. Seriously what did you think you'd get from asking 4chan? You didn't even tell us the age or how big it is.
>>
>>2443648
I gave you a picture. And how the fuck do you reckon I judge his age having never owned a cat, then taking him in as a stray?
>>
>>2443650
By taking him to a vet.

I can't believe you didn't take a stay cat to the vet to get checked on before just calling it yours. Then again you think vets give your pets cancer, so.
>>
I'm probably just overreacting but have I somehow already screwed up? For two nights I was getting my kitten to sleep next to me, so last night I was trying to get him to do it again. But he kept wandering around, so I tried to pick him back up on to my bed several times. Eventually I just put him in his crate because he wouldn't settle down and I had practice in the morning. Now I feel like he's being pretty skittish towards me, even though he was so affectionate just yesterday. I just really hope I didn't fuck up already. How do I make sure I'm not damaging our trust?
>>
>>2443713
So, you believe that being the cancer of 4chan, by being a phone poster, you're an authority? Or maybe you had nothing to add, so you just shit posted. Or you're retarded.
>>
>>2443650
I can't weigh a picture anon. Unless you want me to print it out and weigh it in which case your cat is severely underweight and it should go to a vet asap
>>
>>2443729
No, by taking proper care of my animals I do have something to add.
>>
>>2443774
So, you're a "holier than thou" shitposter?
>>
What kind of brush does /cat/ use to remove shedding from their lap heater?

I have a generic brush with retracting bristles that I find to be less than satisfactory.
>>
File: 1500064312106.jpg (15KB, 540x282px) Image search: [Google]
1500064312106.jpg
15KB, 540x282px
So I live with two cats. One is mine, he's an orange autistic turboNEET who sits around and sleeps al day, occasionally doing an odd retarded housecat activity. The other is my sister's cat and she is a born feral savage she picked up off the side of the road one fay and brought home, she's not aggressive towards us, she gets along with the autist, and she usually just runs away from strangers. We've kept her around because she's an alright house cat, however she's still let outside on a regular basis and sometimes she brings back "presents" for uss I.E. small mutilated animals. How the fuck do I make her stop, I hate looking at ant riddled corpses when I go to work in the mornings and the corpses are attracting cluster flies.
>>
File: IMG_4189.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4189.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
turboneet
>>
File: a26.jpg (82KB, 428x365px) Image search: [Google]
a26.jpg
82KB, 428x365px
>>2440382
>>
>>2443822
One of those and a flea comb since its more fine toothed
>>
>>2443913
You could explain to her all the risks of having an outdoor cat and see if she cares. If not, you could tell your mom the outdoor cat is bringing in fleas/ticks etc and tell them the best way to deal with it is keep it inside. Or hide the cat for a while and have it suddenly return, maybe scare her to keep it inside.
>>
Is there a way I can get my cat to stop jumping on the kitchen counter to steal food while we're not around? My other cats don't do this it's driving me crazy.
>>
>>2444426
Take you cat, put it in a sack, drop a brick into the sack (hopefully killing your disgusting cat) and then tie the bag, drown your cat until it is dead, leave the corpse outside the police station with a note saying "I fucked the cat"
>>
>>2444426
tie an iron ball to his paw
>>
File: IMG_5077.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5077.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Cat (12 years) was attacked last night, I assume. Lots of fur pulled off of ear + blood blister. How to treat? Any need for vet visit?
>>
>>2436604
Anons, my friend's cat has been diagnosed with leukemia, he is 4 years old, and almos a years has passed since he was diagnosed. Yesterday he got sick again and is not eating. Vet told my friend he needs to feed his cat with special food for cats's with his problem which is also expensive, he is really going to try to afford it, but in three months he is not going to be able to do it. He is expecting his cat gets better then so he can mix the expensive special food with regular one. My question is if there is a way to make homemade food for a cat with leukemia, maybe is more dangerous or expensive? Any idea?
>>
Found a kitten, what do?
>>
>>2438291
Really? So calling my cat a dumb nigger when she fights the other cat is dumb? Worked so far, they ignore each other most of the time.
>>
>>2441949
should cats not eat those?
>>
>>2442149
looks kind of pudgy, you should play with him more or feed him a little less
>>
hey, I'm going out of town for 5 days and my only option for a cat sitter is my friend who has a young male cat (mine is 2 yr old girl ragdoll) is there anything i should do to increase the chance of them getting along?
>>
>>2444426
Put the food away when you leave? This really shouldnt be a problem you know....
>>
File: received_1611799398872133.jpg (154KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1611799398872133.jpg
154KB, 1440x1920px
Hey, all. Just adopted an 8 year old cat. After refusing to eat food for literally a week, she's started eating her food (it's canned). However, she still hides under the bed.

Any suggestions to help her come out and be more social?
>>
>>2443287
He's similar to my very first cat, who lived 21 years an died one year ago.
he is handsome. now I want cry.
>>
>>2445009
G o t t a k e e p e m s e p a r a t e d
Cats are autists who hate unfamiliar environments and other cats. Have your friend keep them both confined to separate areas if (when) they don't get along. My two cats have battled for years until I decided to treat them like dogs, now they can sit. The war continues.
>>
>>2445009
is that your cat? she's gorgeous.
>>
>>2444524
He might need some antibiotic, anon.
>>
>>2443822
I have a slicker and a bristle brush, they work pretty well. You can spend a ton on shed ender or something but i think the slicker brush works just fine.
>>2444426
Maybe try putting tin foil or paper or something the cat doesn't like to stand on up there. But also put away your food.
>>2444935
Look at the ingredients dude. You can't expect us to know what food is prescribed and why and whether that will work. Chances are the food is limited ingredients or something, so mixing will totally make the point mute. Just feed it as much of the prescription food as possible until he's out.
>>2445009
honestly I would have just bought another litter box and left out a fuck ton of food and water. But yeah, the cats will not get along in such a short time so keep them separated
>>2445051
make sure you are always associating yourself with things she likes, like food and petting. Try to go slow and offer her food.
>>
File: received_1607194242665982.jpg (151KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1607194242665982.jpg
151KB, 1440x1920px
>>>2445051
>make sure you are always associating yourself with things she likes, like food and petting. Try to go slow and offer her food.

But is there a suggestion for getting her to come out from under the bed in the first place? She will stay on the bed if I put her on it, at least for an hour or so, but she'll retreat later.

I was thinking of putting her on the bed and petting her occasionally and maybe brushing her? She might be a bit afraid of the brush, but I'll have to try it some more. She's just very afraid, it seems.

Also sounds like she might be scared / sad due to her previous owner going into a hospice, thus leaving her to be put in a shelter. :c
>>
File: 1422926032563.jpg (56KB, 576x418px) Image search: [Google]
1422926032563.jpg
56KB, 576x418px
Apparently within the span of a day, one of my cat's hind legs has lost a lot of fur, and he keeps licking/biting his hind/tail area. He's going to the vet tomorrow to get it looked at/medicated for sure, but I was just hoping someone would give me a likely reason and ballpark on the price.
>>
>>2445112
I'm taking my new cat to the vet tomorrow.

She hates being held, and I'm worried she's going to hate me for taking her there, she's been so sweet to me since I got her, always following me and rubbing up against me.

Will things be okay? Any tips for first trips to the vet?
>>
>>2445159

To add, it hasn't visibly disrupted his routine aside from more licking than usual. Still very playful and purrs when petted, easily passed out on the floor behind me without issue, no litter box accidents or stressful meowing.

It's just, I come home from work, see him walking away and goddamn a big chunk of fur from his leg has fell out all of a sudden.
>>
File: 1484451081022.png (654KB, 1280x828px) Image search: [Google]
1484451081022.png
654KB, 1280x828px
Why do people hate on sphynxes?
>>
I'm wondering what breed of cat this is. Does anyone know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofNVuXgjsA
>>
>>2445241
I think its an orange cat but its hard to tell with the lighting
>>
>>2445223
No fun to pet
>>
>>2445241
They have another channel all about the cats
Think that one is some kind of Norwegian long hair
>>
>>2445162
Kind of a late reply, but don't stay in the room with the cat for anything the vet wants to do, such as needles, nail trimming, etc. You don't want the cat to associate you with stuff like that. Not much else I can say.
>>
>>2445286
Will the vet let me do that?

I'm more worried about the process of trapping her in her carrier and driving her to this scary place.

I'm just hoping she can forgive me.
>>
>>2445162
>>2445500
May avoid you for a few hours but she'll quickly get over it and remember you are her sole source of food. She will avoid the carrier probably like the plague. If you're worried about your cat being anti social, maybe look into some Jackson Galaxy videos. I know he's a hipster faggot but he actually understands cat behavior really well.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-01-10-32-55.png (486KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-01-10-32-55.png
486KB, 480x854px
My cat hasn't appeared for two days, is there any helpful tips to bring him back again?
>>
>>2445559
put some canned tuna or salmon in your backyard and yell his name at periodic intervals
>>
Is there such a thing as a Feline Touch? Whenever I visit someone with an allegedly frigid, anti-social cat they're always in my lap after like an hour. I had to watch over a cat once who panicked and hid whenever someone, even its owners were in the room, like ran for its fucking life when they were just picking something up on the other side of the room, and after a week it wouldn't stop chasing me and presenting itself to me which was sort of awkward to explain.

Yesterday I ran into a cat outdoors, not only did it follow me but when I sat down on a park bench it jumped up and let me pet it for like 30 fucking minutes. This isn't even the first time that's happened this month.

I have the gait of a withdrawn weirdo I suppose, maybe that's it? I hear cats like those kinds of people.
>>
>>2445612
They like shy, quiet people with relaxed faces. Maybe you just have easy eyes.
>>
I've got a 8 week old kitten and a 7 month old cat
They seem to get a long well enough though when the cat tries to play with the kitten she always seems to be the one playing?
The kitten doesn't seem be scared or anything
just doesn't play fight back much

I think she's just shy? I've seen her play roughly with her sister kitten my sibling has
>>
>>2445622
Makes sense, cats don't know what a smile is supposed to be after all.
>>
>>2445664
Smiles, especially with teeth, can be seen as an act of aggression or intimidation
>>
File: the goush.jpg (432KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
the goush.jpg
432KB, 1024x683px
>>2443622
My dude has had a big belly pouch all his life, and he's never been fat or malnourished. Not my cat, but it looks like this. It's called a primordial pouch.
>>
File: 20160915_100150.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_100150.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
is it bad for my cat to be hunting and eating roaches?
>>
File: jesse sleepin.jpg (291KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
jesse sleepin.jpg
291KB, 756x1008px
>>2445508
>>2445500
Thanks.

As soon as she got home she started rubbing up against me and licking me. She's a little shy now, but I think she's just stressed, they shoved a stick up her butt, so I don't blame her.

I love this stupid cat, she's such a sweetie.
>>
File: 20170801_102205.jpg (770KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170801_102205.jpg
770KB, 2560x1536px
>>2436604
>>
>>2445658
So your kitten isn't playing with your cat, but your cat plays with the kitten? Sounds like your kitten is just tired or lethargic. Unusual for a kitten. Maybe the other cat is too old for her to play with right now. She may still be too small and weak.

>>2445559
Leave out his litter box, some fresh water, and get a live trap. I'd be wary about food bait as it may attract other cats and animals, but if you're pretty sure there's nothing in town that will scare your cat off even further go ahead and bait the trap. They say cats rarely travel more than two homes away when they are lost, so look very close to home.
>>
I got an orange kitten today, what's a good name for him that isn't garfield
>>
>>2446380
Heathcliff, the off-brand garfield?
>>
>>2446386
Oh shit I forgot about Heathcliff
>>
>>2446380
Roy Catty.
>>
>>2445722
Only if you have roach poison around they might be ingesting.
>>
File: gordos.jpg (324KB, 1235x922px) Image search: [Google]
gordos.jpg
324KB, 1235x922px
the bottom pic is a before/after
>>
File: kot-knife-57e9af368398d.jpg (73KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
kot-knife-57e9af368398d.jpg
73KB, 604x453px
>>2437485
Just adopt it, you faggot
>>
>>2446369
I've been watching them interact some more
Looks like shes just too small
She is starting to play more with the cat but she still seems to get spooked when the cat starts playing
Their little battles are getting less one sided
>>
How much should I be feeding my cat? Right now I'm giving her two 3oz cans of wellness a day, and if she doesn't eat it all I give about a 5th of a cup of wellness dry food.

Is that enough? My vet said I should be giving her more, but he didn't say how much.

I don't want to starve my cat for no reason, but I really don't want her getting obese
>>
>>2446562
Should have portion suggestions on the packaging for the food
>>
>>2446538
>>2437353

Guess Ill update then.
>Hangs out outside my door for a few days (we're talking 24 hours a day)
>After a few days I tell him to go get a job so he can provide for himself
>Deny him food
>He goes off elsewhere
>Shows up some time later again, at which point I feed him
>starts showing up rarer and rarer, havent seen him in a while now
My guess is that someone went on vacation and he found his way home again, didn't want him to starve, but didn't want him to consider this place his home either.. Posted on a local group with lost and found pets, didn't get any replies.
I'll feed him if he comes around again though.
>>
File: IMG_0189.jpg (80KB, 436x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0189.jpg
80KB, 436x499px
>move in to large-ish apartment with 2 friends
>they both own cats
>think it'll be fine because I've lived with cats most of my life, but they were outdoors cats
>these ones are indoor cats and they use litter boxes
>the way the house is laid out, the litter boxes are close to the kitchen and my room and they stink like high fucking hell

How do I deal with this? I told them to clean up the boxes because they reek but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I literally feel sick every time I go into the kitchen or the bathroom. I'm growing to despise these little fuckers because of their horrifying atomic shit smell. I also feel hypocritical because I have a small puppy, and she's still in the process of being potty trained. However, I clean it up immediately and she's getting way better at not pooping in the house. These cats make my nose want to fall off. What do???
>>
>>2446604
Tell your friends to feed your cat normal food instead of shit, also tell them not to buy cheap litter. I can't even smell my cat's litter box unless I'm cleaning it.
>>
>>2446604
Like the guy above me said, tell them to stop buying food from the dollar store.
With better food, they'll eat less and stink less, their fur will be less greasy, etc. It's just like humans. If you eat 6 mcdoubles every day you're gonna look like hell.
>>
File: 1485833673444.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1485833673444.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>mrow
>>
File: IMG_20160220_173826.jpg (3MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_173826.jpg
3MB, 2992x4000px
Rate my cat-tato
>>
>>2447201
10/10 gingers a best. Pic related is mine
>>
Hey guys, any advice for a lazy indoor cat? I took him in from a good friend about a year ago and he's always been pretty chunky. I play with him every day as much as I can but he gets sick of playing and goes to eat. His diet is pretty good - wet food for dinner (BFF brand chicken only) and top quality crunchies the rest of the time. I've tried lower cal kibbles but he hates them and he only eats 1/4 to 1/2(if no wet food) cup a day of it anyway.

He's a big cat and weighs about 15 pounds but I figure he should lose 3 at least. He's about 8 years old.
>>
File: BuWi57aqPeQ.jpg (79KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
BuWi57aqPeQ.jpg
79KB, 960x960px
>>2436604
Anyone have tips for how to correct a cat that randomly seems to pee on the same place on my bed? Especially when I come home after a trip (other people in the house take care of her)
>>
>>2447201
What a qt
>>
>>2447350
You need to clean it with an enzyme cleaner, otherwise you are leaving the smell. She isn't "randomly" peeing on your bed, she's coming back to the same place via smell.
>>
what age is too old to declaw a cat? I heard it should be done early like circumcision
>>
>>2447443
If you're going to do it, do it young, when they heal faster and have less body mass to put on their paws.

But don't fucking do it. Declawing is hideous and inhumane. Train your goddamn cat.
>>
>>2447436
I've done this. Swapped out the entire bedding, too. I had a waterproof topper on the mattress so that was replaced too.

>>2447443
Don't do this. Don't be an asshat.
>>
>>2446562
Standard for adults is 1/2 cup kibble per day or one 5.5oz can. My kots get 1/6 can wet and 1/8 cup kibble twice daily (mid-high quality stuff) and are at perfect weights.
>>
>>2447465
Is there a kot food, dry or wet, power ranking?
>>
>>2447482
Yes, but I'm being a dirty phoneposter and would have to post it another time.

In the meantime, name a food and I'll tell you how good it is. Keep in mind that wet > dry unless you're comparing high quality dry to Whiskas or Meow Mix or some shit.
>>
>>2447487
I use Natural Balance Platefulls for wet food and Taste of the Wild for dry food. I'd be curious to see a chart or something of the sort.

Btw not the original guy you were talking to...just jumped into the thread.
>>
>>2447487
I'm the original guy.

I was looking into calories, I guess my Cat's supposed to get between 240-300 calories a day.

Right now I'm feeding her 150 calories worth of wet food (two 3oz cans), and 100ish calories of dry food (1/4th a cup). I'll see how it goes. Most of the time she doesn't eat her dry food.

I'm using Wellness. A bit pricy, but it's okay.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-04-01-43-03.png (494KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-04-01-43-03.png
494KB, 480x854px
>>2445559
It's been more than four days, the only members of my family who are willing to find him is me and my nephew(previous owner). It's hard for me to accept his absence whenever I come home. They want to keep on mentioning he's dead, but I haven't found his body. My mother admitted that she found his collar, but I want to track him down by the help of his microchip. I never felt this desperate and depressed since my first bunny was slaughtered. Replacing his won't help since there's some other kittens at home isn't working. What if he is stolen just by his majestic mustache?
>>
>>2447443
Dont be a faggot and dont brutalize your cat
>>
>>2446572
Of course he's going to fuck off if you don't feed him. He won't just sit in front of your door and fucking starve to death. Why is everyone from Norway fucking retarded
>>
>>2447590
something about that is kind of odd. your mother found the collar but avoided telling you until you refused to stop looking? and what happened to your first bunny—did your parents slaughter it?

part of me feels like your family got rid of the cat and just told you he ran away.
>>
>>2447731
yeah, thats what I said, I didn't feed him for some time because he was sitting outside for like 3 days, never moving, so he went on his way and returned some time later, at which point I DID feed him.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-04-01-43-13.png (495KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-04-01-43-13.png
495KB, 480x854px
>>2447771
My first Bunny was killed by a possum more than 5 years ago, it broke in and it's white fur was scattered around. After that they bought me more bunnies and the reproduction started leaving off a bunny farm. The replacements didn't help and my parents were poor before having to remember to eat the males since I didn't care that much.

Our cat is worth having, became part of the family as well with triggered parrot. I don't understand what is going on, but hopefully the microchip is our primary chance to find him, either dead or alive. My thought is that he was stolen for sure, would they be selling him or waiting for a reward?
>>
>>2448062
have you checked local shelters? you could also put some posters up. if he didn't have his collar someone might have thought he was a stray and taken him into their house.
>>
>>2438366

I never knew anything about cats either until I got one too. I never had any pet actually. *Usually* male cats are more cuddly and female ones prowl around. But both can be prowl-y, both can be cuddly. It's hard to really tell until you get the cat. My cat is a girl, and is a brat, but I love it. She loves me and me alone, maybe my gf too. But she is slow to warm up to people and hates being held.

Point is, they each have their own personalities and stuff. So don't try to *pick* the best one. Just go there, see a bunch of them, and try to see which one likes you the most. Let the cat choose you, anon.

You can get a kitten if you want, but they go crazy for the first year when you leave them alone. It's not so bad honestly. Just make sure to play with them when you get home. Maybe a middle aged 5-10 year cat would be good too, a little calmer.

Just don't let them outside off of the leash, feed it some decent food, and enjoy your new pet mate. Post pics too!
>>
>>2438422
Who knows? Cats can be really unpredictable. He might be on an adventure somewhere or fucking some other cats. Keep shaking the food container to make the noise and maybe he will come
>>2440608
When I got my cat, the rest of my family was allergic. I had to keep her and the litter box/food in my room. I would be gone from school and work, like 10am-8pm each day. Cat would be alright as long as I played with it when I got home. Its not going to freak out or get upset without you home as long as you come home each day and give it attention. Sounds like you give it a big room to play in, lots of space to go around, etc. Thats a good step mate
>>2440756
As other anon said, close the curtains if possible, give it cool water, run a fan. My cat usually doesnt sit in front of AC or a fan because the blowing is annoying to them, but they appreciate a little breeze I guess. Cats mostly sleep on the floor when you aren't there though so they don't get too hot. Usually they will lie on a cool surface to cool off. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you take basic steps
>>2440814
awww, little box kittu
>>2440835
they have different meows depending on what they're trying to say. feed me, where have you been, pet me, don't fucking pet me, clean my litterbox, etc. All different sounding meows. And cats are different sounding too, that adds another layer.
>>2441035
My cat stayed with my great uncle while i was away at college. He had 2 shit-tier cats with no tails. My cat ate their food (3x amount) and got fat as shit. Just give it a normal amount of food twice a day (half cup at most) and water. Don't give it more than 1-2 treats a day at most, skip treat days sometimes too. It will go away with proper diet and exercise. Just get it a good quality food and actually measure the food you're giving it, let it walk around and it will lose that fat for sure.
>>2441041
fuck yeah, i do this on youtube with my cat all the time. cats TV.

sorry for the long post i love cats :o
>>
>>2442580
Gio is a cool name. Your ass wont be calling him Giovanni every time
>>2442596
Who the fuck knows. My cat paws at her food bowl after eating as if to "bury" it from predators. On a hardwood floor, or tile too. Must be some instinctual shit from the wild
>>2442618
Cats fuck up bird populations big time. They hunt and kill not to eat, but to keep their instincts sharp. They fuck up a lot of shit, which honestly isn't the bad part. The bad part is if you let your cat explore outside every day the chances just keep going up that it won't come home one day, or will come home injured. Just think of all the shit that could hurt your cat:
1. Dogs
2. Other cats
3. Big faggot birds
4. Predators likes wolves, coyotes, etc
5. Cars and motorcycles

People who say "let your cat outside its awesome" have never lost a cat to a car crash. Yes, cats love the outdoors. But train them to leash, or build a fence they can't escape from. DO NOT let them roam free its just a matter of time until something happens
>>2443287
dem loving eyes/10
what a fuzzie fuzzoo.
>>2443348
What a sweet cat. Don't feel bad about getting another. There is a stray out there that needs you too, just like this one did. I love you and your cat does too
>>2443583
1. post a gif, that shit sounds hillarious
2. pour the food into a bowl on the counter, place bowl on ground. if she fucks ur hand up remove the food, scold her NO.
>>2443643
where do you live, sounds like some shit tier medicine
>>2443726
You are way overanalyzing it. Cats sleep wherever they want. In different places. They nap during the day, walk around at night. Cat not sleeping next to you one day means he was just curious or some shit. I wouldn't try to control where he sleeps, just let him do whatever. he will probably follow you around. Keep a comfy pillow on the ground near your bed for him. My cat doesnt like to be "put" anywhere but will come sit next to me or lie next to me if i just chill and have good vibes
>>
>>2447342
give him catnip, makes even lazy cats hyper
>>2446713
any examples of non cheap litter? my gf pressured me into getting "organic" cat litter without chemicals so they dont lick their paws clean and ingest some chemicals, but im not sure if its good for oder eating
>>2447443
dont. just dont.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.