[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently inherited a fair bit of property with a house and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: a.jpg (92KB, 514x604px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
92KB, 514x604px
I recently inherited a fair bit of property with a house and am looking for a guard dog. Any breed suggestions?
>>
>>2447383

Depends on your climate. Area that stays mild to hot, Doberman. Area that gets between mild and cold Huskie or Shepard. Goes between hot and cold, get any dog and adequate housing for it.
>>
>>2447383
I'm not going to put he energy in to fully formulate a post so here are the basics:
>many dogs, even from working line guarding breeds, are not naturally protective
>guard dogs are NOT aggressive; they must be raised lovingly and exposed to many different people and situations so they can better discern normalcy from threat
>protection training is very expensive but you could probably get by on sports with a protection element like Schutzhund or French Ring and even then it's still hard to find a dog temperamentally suited to this
>a dog that is guarding-capable is going to be a very challenging dog to own; they are confident, strong-willed, and seek challenge; they require a firm, experienced owner and lots of mental and physical stimulation
>these dogs are few in numbers and high in demand, so you may spend months on a waiting list to get a good dog, or even longer

With that:
Where is the property (climate will suffice)?
How many dogs do you want?
How much time and experience do you have?
How much money are you willing to spend per dog (includes initial price and shipping, possibly from Europe)?
>>
>>2447383
Donkey, mule, llama.
>>
Pit bull
>>
>>2447383
you mean guard dog guard dog, or a watch dog?
>>
Just get cameras and insurance
>>
if you want a cheap guard dog that needs no training and will kill just about anything that moves on sight just get a pitbull. just make sure it's securely confined in your yard or house.
>>
Guarding what? If it is livestock then go with
>>2447400

You cannot guarantee any breed will show stranger specific aggression, but they can be trained as such. The thin line is making sure it isn't a dog that is just overall aggressive to anyone, even members of the family that aren't "chosen"

Basically what >>2447395 said.

I am set to inherit 850 acres I've lived on, on and off, for most of my life. My father and grandmother live there now. With extreme acreage, no single dog will achieve the security you need.

Feel free to ask me any questions about actual real land security.
>>
>>2447448
This basically
https://youtu.be/ovIrEoYXvZc
>>
>>2447439
Hmm whats the difference
>>
>>2447383
fuck that butt pupper
>>
>>2447460
Watch dog is like an alarm. Guard dog is like a body guard (for people or property).
>>
Get a watch dog to alert and a guard dog to protect, they work best together.
>>
>>2447383
>fuck that butt pupper
>>
I have a pit and they make horrible guard dogs. They hardly bark and are friendly to most strangers. If you were in an altercation a pit would probably jump in and rek the guy but other then that they'll let someone rob your house. If you want a barker that will scare strangers away get a boxer mix. My moms boxer barks at every single person that has ever walked by the house.
>>
>>2447488

Good to mix, yeah. I've heard that people with livestock guardian dogs get different types for different purposes, like Great Pyrenees to guard the herd but Anatolian Shepherds/Akbash to challenge threats.
>>
Pit bull
>>
>>2447571
>they are friendly to most strangers
>but savagely maul their lifelong owners if the owners are children or elderly
makes you think
>>
>>2447617
Most of the time a dog attacks the owner or a kid, the owners have no business owning a dog like that. It was probably inbred in some nigger breeders back yard, or they got a rescue pit bull from a pound thinking they were doing the dog a favor. Pits absolutely don't get along with most dogs, but they normally are not people aggressive. If your pit bull is human aggressive you are doing something very wrong, and should get rid of the dog asap
>>
>>2447601
fight dogs doesn't make good watch dogs
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.