[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the bird in this webm distressed? I thought it was cute at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1498414023476.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498414023476.webm
2MB, 640x360px
Is the bird in this webm distressed? I thought it was cute at first, but looking at it I feel like it might be scared being moved around so quickly.
>>
I can't imagine it'd be too happy about it.
>>
>>2446716
It moved its wings partway through, so it's not restrained. They are capable of a clumsy sort of swimming. (some hawks go after ducks, you can also find videos of eagles or ospreys with fish that are too heavy) I think if it was distressed it would be flopping around a lot more.
>>
>>2446716
Some owl species are really weirdly mellow. This bird might naturally have a very laid back temperament.

The owner may have slowly offered deeper and deeper dishes for bathing until it was totally accustomed to just floating around. If it's totally chill already, being pushed around by the water stream wouldn't make much of a difference.
>>
bird dont give a fuck
you really think that's fast compared to flying around
>>
>>2446768
the difference is that it's in control of the speed when it's flying.

kind of like the difference between going 15mph riding your bike vs 15mph rolling backwards on a grocery cart
>>
File: 1496137125186.jpg (409KB, 1280x1399px) Image search: [Google]
1496137125186.jpg
409KB, 1280x1399px
>>2446893
OP here, this is why I'm concerned. I know a lot of times we like to anthromorphize animals and behavior that isn't usual for them isn't always something good. Like that dog that would walk and skip around on two feet and it turned out it was horribly abused to act that way.

I feel like being helpless like that, and being moved around unpredictably would cause it distress. I would love to be proven wrong, if the animal is mellow like the other guy said then it's an adorable webm.
>>
>>2447331
Er, I would love to BE wrong, not be PROVEN wrong. Unless you were in the psyche of the animal I doubt you could prove anything really.
>>
>>2446716
Does it look distressed to you?

Why do people assume that animals somehow are magically and arbitrarily hard to interpert? They are not.

If that bird didn't want to be there it would attempt to get away. It makes no attempt to do that therefore it is not distressed. It's that easy. The most basic of logic.

>inb4 it's somehow frozen in place from fear or playing some other bullshit
It is extremely obvious when animals do that. This defense mechanism does not fool humans. The bird isn't doing that.
>>
>>2446716

>implying owls are birds
>>
File: 1492760923569.gif (497KB, 425x315px) Image search: [Google]
1492760923569.gif
497KB, 425x315px
>>2447362
I never thought I'd have to read this outside of /vp/

>>2447346
I don't know. Birds are much different than humans. I don't know what kind of bird that is but I suppose it's some kind of owl. I doubt it's really domesticated.

I never would have thought that a slow loris raising its arms when it's being tickled is actually attempting to deploy a self-defense mechanism. I would just think "oh, that's cute!"
I don't know anything about birds or their behavior, I just saw this webm a while ago and thought it was adorable but I've been trying to be a bit more cautious with these kinds of things. I think I can assume the little bird in this gif is not distressed at all.
>>
>>2447366
>I never would have thought that a slow loris raising its arms when it's being tickled is actually attempting to deploy a self-defense mechanism

Hmm. Maybe animal behavior is not as obvious to most people as I thought. Try looking at that video again and imagine how a positive reaction to being tickled would look like in any animal, then look at how the lori is reacting. It's very obviously not enjoying it. At least I think it's obvious. It should be obvious.

I guess that's why you're doubting yourself so much then. Animal behavior is usually pretty easy to interpret intuitively if you just LOOK properly. Most people don't really look though I guess.

Even though we are of course very different from a lot of animals they evolved on the same planet as us, facing the same or similar problems. Animals are usually not hard to interpret at all, sure the subtleties are difficult but guessing the overall mood of the animal should be quite easy.
>>
>>2447366
>>2447379
Another way to look at it is to consider how a similar (or the same) animal would react to other situations which would obviously stress it.

Any bird capable of flight in general would FLY THE FUCK AWAY or at least try by flapping like a mofo. I can't think of a single flight-capable bird whose instinct would be to freeze.

To put it another way: you can't associate the defense mechanisms of one animal (like a deer caught in headlights) to a completely different animal (an owl).
>>
>>2446716
In slow motion is seems fine. It's head is tracking here and there. Not really darting it around looking for escape. It's mouth appears to be closed too.
>>
>>2447366
>I doubt it's really domesticated.

It has jesses. It's probably about as domesticated as you can get with birds of prey.
>>
How do I get a pet owl?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.