[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cloning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: o-CUDDLE-CLONE-CAT-facebook.jpg (383KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-CUDDLE-CLONE-CAT-facebook.jpg
383KB, 2000x1000px
My cat became very critical all of a sudden and there doesn't seem to be much hope. I had her dna stored and will proceed to clone her in a few years. I know I won't get her back but a genetic copy and to me this is important because she was spayed and has no bloodline and I feel like she should have some genetic place in the world. After researching it though there seems to be a divide on the subject. Has /an/ ever considered cloning their pet?
>>
Completely and utterly retarded. There is plenty of other cats you'd love just as much, if not more.

Cloning in general is fucking stupid unless it's for organs or bringing back awesome prehistoric animals but even then it's a 'just because we could' situation since there isn't enough genetic diversity to keep it from going to shit. Cloning because 'muh pet/family' screams mental illness.
>>
>>2443055
The process itself is not THAT hard to do, at least if you work in that field or studied molecular biology or genetics or something and you know what you are doing.

BUT it works about 1/500 tries and for every try you need a new Oocyte from the surrogate mother as well as a new Nucleus from your cat's cells (from any cell, but make sure the DNA in this cells is undamaged

You also need a pretty good genetics lab, not one of those half-serious ones.
And if you never have worked in a genetics lab before, don't even try it
>>
>>2443068
>Completely and utterly retarded. There is plenty of other cats you'd love just as much, if not more.
this
>>
>>2443055
>$25k
ah, you must be wealthy. Congratulations on that.
>>
arent there observations that carrying an embryo that isn't her own will shave some years off a surrogate mother's life?
>>
File: cat and its clone.jpg (198KB, 1242x778px) Image search: [Google]
cat and its clone.jpg
198KB, 1242x778px
It doesn't work the way you're hoping. The clone will not look the same and it will not act the same. Pic related, and this page discusses it in more detail:
https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/cloning-cats-rainbow-and-cc-prove-that-cloning-wont-resurrect-your-pet/

Basically, cloning is a very expensive way to buy a pet that isn't anything like the pet you want it to be.
>>
>>2443098
Did you even read the OP? They want to preserve the bloodline.
>>
>>2443055
I thought about it for like two seconds for my dog, once, and then decided it would be the poorest monetary decision I could possibly make. The dog has ongoing allergy issues, a non-functioning pancreas, comorbid B12 deficiency and small intestinal dysbiosis, bilateral hip dysplasia, bilateral elbow dysplasia, and lumps of scar tissue over his hocks from repeated episodes of bursitis. Keeping him stable and his quality of life good costs a mint and requires an enormous amount of effort.

I don't want to find out how much of the shit going down with him is genetic and be the cause of another misbegotten creature like him coming into the world.

I'll just get a new dog I think.

>Cuddle Clones like in OP pic are kind of neat even if they do look a little like a smaller bad taxidermy version of your pet. I got one of late cat a couple of years ago and it's sitting on my desk. A nice memorial.
>>
>>2443055
Chances are that critical illness is genetic and will end up in this cat you spent $25 grand on to reproduce. Then you want to breed this cat to make more cats that will have a chance to suddenly die from said illness. kek
>>
>>2443228
She caught secondary poisoning from another animal
>>
>>2443088
OP doesn't give a fuck about some moggie stray surrogate mother as long as his clone is OK.
>>
>>2443101
But why does his cat's bloodline matter enough to spend 25k on it? Maybe I'm just a poorfag, but I don't get it.
>>
>>2443587
Why do people want to have their own kids instead of adopting? Some even going to the lengths of invitro and cryogenics and surrogates, waiting years and spending thousands of dollars?
Because we all want to project our genes into the future. Everything does. She never had that chance.>>2443587
>>
>>2443580
Actually this genetics lab has a great system for their surrogates. Do your research.
>>
>>2443610
That seems different to me somehow. Besides child adoption is also expensive and a long process, it's not like getting another kitten where you can waltz into any shelter and have your pick for 50 bucks or whatever and have a cat that day. I guess I just don't get how it can be important enough to spend that much money on it when he doesn't even actually know if the cat's genes are that good and there's tons and tons of perfectly fine cats in the world.
>>
>>2443617
Most people don't consider the genes of the kids they're adopting either or the people they procreate with. Guess we all have our priorities and they're all different. I'm making a 25k investment in something I loved. Just because I'm not spending that money on strays or hungry children doesn't make it pointless or selfish. We all have a different agenda. I give more money to charities and doing RAOK than I can even keep track of. I could spend that money on a down payment for the Mustang I always wanted instead or start a cat farm but those aren't my priorites right now. If it doesn't make sense to some, that's ok.
>>
>>2443624
Okay, but are you going to keep cloning the cat when the clone dies? Are you going to breed the clone and contribute to overpopulation? What happens when you die, does your cat's bloodline die with you or are you really going to set it up where your children breed that bloodline too? In other words, how are you going to keep it going long enough to really matter?
>>
>>2443610
You're anthropomorphizing your cat, stop.
>>
>>2443634
>animals don't want to have babies
>>
>>2443628
There's a pretty big human overpopulation also. I can't conceivably keep cloning it as my age is a factor, but I do intend to breed it, taking great care to provide them with excellent homes. My children are also excited at the prospects of this process because it was their beloved pet also, so I'm sure the lineage will continue in my family as well. That's as far as it's gone right now. There are no perfect answers but at least it's worth a shot.

>>2443634
>anthromorphophizing
By pointing out that everything has an inherent desire to breed?
>>
>>2443649
Well, at least you've planned it out. I guess I just don't get it, but good luck either way.
>>
>>2443666
It's not entirely different than someone breeding their family dog, but with the extra step of cloning.
>>
>>2443749
Breeding the family dog doesn't cost 25k, that's what I really don't get. The return on your investment (to me personally, not OP) is pretty poor since the clone won't look or act like the original pet.
>>
>>2443760
I'm sure if there was a cheaper way to do this, pet cloners would appreciate spending less. But there isn't, and it's worth that much for them to do because there are no other options and a small window of time. Supply and demand.
>>
I try to think of it this way. You came across your cat by chance, yeah? Have you ever had any other pets you loved? My Lady kitty showed up right when my old cat was dying of cancer. I was force feeding him and crying every day. She helped me so much after he died, just lying in my lap and purring while I cried. She is now old and dying of kidney disease. I thought about cloning her until I found a lock of his hair behind the dresser. There is another kitty out there for you that might starve or get put down due to overcrowding. You just haven't found him / her yet.
>>
>>2443649
>two wrongs make a right

My main reason against this still stands. You can easily find a cat you love just as much, if not more. You already are aware that the clone is unlikely to even look, much less act like your old cat. Why bother? Bloodlines and shit doesn't mean jack shit unless your cat was a super-cat, and it wasn't. This is all you, all your probably mental illness. There are better cats out there whether you like it or not. More that actually base on whether or not you take them in, or they die. And this happens, constantly and all the time. I love my dogs, I love my cats. I've thought about breeding them, but in the end I could see that it didn't matter. What matters if that I loved them, and even when they are dead there is plenty more out there that I could live and care for. It might not matter in the long run but at least im not contributing to the pet homelessness. Even then even if the dumb animal can't appreciate I might have very well saved it, I still feel good that I gave it a damn good home and life. That I tried, and my 'difference' only mattered to that one thing.

Anything else sounds so selfish, deluded and insane. I could at least give leeway to people wanting to buy from reputable breeders. Supporting better breedings and knowing almost head to toe about the animal their getting.
>>
>>2443836
I'm glad you were able to find another cat to help you cope with your loss. But this isn't about saving all the cats as much as caring about things I love. If someone lost a child, you wouldn't be telling them to just go to the orphanage and pick up another. Conversely you wouldn't advise somebody considering having children to go out and adopt instead because there are other kids out there dying and starving. It's about genes. Some poor souls think they'll get the same animal back. If she hadn't been spayed already when I got her, cloning wouldn't even be necessary. It doesn't contribute to the over crowding or poor treatment of other animals and these cats are going to be very happy little scamps who are well taken care of. For me it isn't a matter of just having another cat in the house. This was something I had thought through years ago.
>>
File: 1402526890889.jpg (17KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
1402526890889.jpg
17KB, 260x384px
>>2443854
You wouldn't tell them to just clone the kid either.
>>
>>2443130
Let me guess, you have a GSD. Good fucking riddens.
>>
>>2443840
Your reasoning is flimsy af. Different opinions from yours and not contributing to the greater good with every decision you make doesn't indicate mental illness. There will always be something better but knowing that isn't how people make their choices 100% of the time. Most choices come from our.. I'm not sure of the English word for it but it's like heart or convictions like when you just feel something(Sorry, my English isn't great and if you know of a word for that please tell me). But it's for reasons like that why people eat ice cream when it's really not necessary and they could give that money to starving children (or cats) instead. I've already resolved to adopt the surrogate aswell once I found out that was an option. Even if I hadnt, doing this wouldn't be directly contributing to animal suffering. That falls on the shoulders of millions of irresponsible pet owners and breeders.
>>
>>2443860
Why are you spending so much time defending your choice and so little time showing us timestamped proof of your $25,000 you have sitting around?
>>
>>2443855
The point was, your advice is to just go get another cat. I'm not advising anyone to clone theirs.
>>
>>2443854
Plenty of people adopt rather than have their own kids, whether or not they are capable of having their own kids. I don't won't biological children myself, due to actual real and serious, and fatal medical problems within my genetics. Ive had seriously the chance, and was ready, but breast cancer had killed four females in my family. Though I grew up around your average white families who not only had kids of their own but also adopted as well and I vividly remember asking why they adopted. My next door neighbor, already had a kid of their own said, "because I can make someone else's life better instead". Of course then I thought she was cool as fuck because I brought home their husky every other day and got fruit loops in returned but now that kid, Andrew is making more money than all of us combined. He has done, so well. He's gotten all the chances he can get and now he does better than his own adopted parents.

Related to him to cats really isn't fair. He's not a pet but wondered what would happened of his parent(s) kept him, or what he would be like if someone else adopted him.if you want another cat so bad, why does it matter if it's related to your original cat or not? Your cat isn't special. You could adopt any other cat. It could be just the same or better. You say it doesn't contribute to over population but you could just grab a random cat instead of spending 20k+ instead. It contributes more than you think.
>>
>>2443861
There are more important things than money, anon.

>>2443863
Some people adopt, some people go to great lengths to have their own. Both are okay. The things that make something special is what it means to you.
>>
>>2443863
I think OP was pretty clear that this isn't about just wanting another pet though
>>
>>2443865
>There are more important things than money, anon
is that what you're going to tell the cloning company when they ask for $25k?

post the money or gtfo
>>
>>2443636
Well, seeing how my female rabbits always have eaten their first offsprings, i'm sure they don't want babies, simply have sex and then oh, gotta go with it.
>>
>>2443611
>Do your research
>Doesn't say what genetics lab it is
For all anyone knows you're lying
>>
> I feel like she should have some genetic place in the world.
you've got a severe mental illness, possibly a personality disorder
>>
>>2443931
Fuck off retarded armchair psychologist.
Op is simple being emotional about a loved pet. It's understandable that they want their pet to live on in some way. Same reason some people have children, they don't want to leave with nothing left of them.
>>
>>2443928
W-would someone really do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies??
>>
>>2443055
Even if you clone her, she will never be your cat. Enjoy your living reminder of all you have lost.
>>
>>2444120
Op obviously knows this. What's the big deal?
>>
>>2443055
I refuse to believe anyone on 4chan could afford the tens of thousands of dollars this costs.
>>
>>2443055
I thought about it, not seriously but just as a concept.

I wouldn't want to do it because your new cat may look like your old one, but it may have an entirely different personality or likes/dislikes. So in your mind you will be seeing your old cat but things will feel "wrong", like it doesn't like shrimp flavor, instead it likes beef. Or the bed your cat used to sleep it, now it pisses on it and hates it out of just a different preference. That to me would ruin my memories of my original cat.
>>
>>2443055
>would you ever clone an animal which is so abundant they basically give them away.
Not really. I know what it's like to get a pet that seems like a miracle of nature but at the end of the day there are a lot of good natured animals waiting to be adopted.
>>
>>2443098
This is to be expected with females because of the way their genes express color in a random pattern. Even with the same DNA you can't expect the patterns to express themselves in exactly the same way. You might still get calico or tortishell but the patches of orange and black will be in different places.
>>
>>2443610
>Because we all want to project our genes into the future.

I don't. Why should I want that? I'll be dead. I don't give a shit about "genes". People always cite this concept but it sounds so stupid and silly to me. Being so obsessed over something we can't even see and has no relevance to anything.

>>2443860
The word you're looking for is "emotions".
>>
Cloning a cat sounds so wrong.

>Inevitably become hyper critical of the clone as you perceive any "variances" in behavior

WTF, YOU AREN'T THE CAT I LOVED FOR OVER A DECADE!
>>
cats are lottery but this is a straight up gambling
ehehe I'm so degenerate much decadent hehehe
>>
>>2443130
>Cuddle Clones

Never heard of these. So they take a picture of your cat and make a stuffed version of it? Sounds pretty cool actually. Is it expensive?
>>
>>2445679
It's 250 dollars, and I know that might sound excessive but custom stuffed animals of all types are just expensive things because they are so labor-intensive.
>>
>>2443068
>cloning is bad, unless you do a jurassic park
>>
>>2443055
As far as I know, the DNA in every part of the cat will be as old as your cat. So even though your new cat will only be a newborn, it will genetically be an old cat and be susceptible to dying early due to organ failure
>>
>>2447223
It's been awhile so maybe I'm wrong but don't they just use a technique to copy the DNA so it's like new and insert that?
>>
>>2443587
He's not going to do it, he's just posting a stupid thread
>>
>>2447224
As far as I'm aware, they still haven't got telomeres completely figured out.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.